• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Line X

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

*Manhattan Drops Deerzilla

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Ringer article today about the NBA Draft

WHICH LOTTERY TEAMS COULD USE ZION WILLIAMSON?
By Rodger Sherman

Not enough attention in NBA draft circles is paid to analyzing team needs. This is a point of obsession heading into each year's NFL draft, as football teams rarely draft a quarterback in the first round if they already have a trusted passer on their roster. What about basketball teams? Should an NBA franchise really target Zion Williamson at no. 1 overall if Zion Williamson doesn't fit a Zion Williamson–sized hole in its depth chart?
To determine this answer, I examined the lineups of every team in this year's lottery to see whether Williamson would be a worthwhile pick if that team lands at no. 1. After extensive research, here are my findings:

New York Knicks: Yes, the Knicks should draft Zion Williamson.
Cleveland Cavaliers: Yes, the Cavs should draft Zion Williamson.
Phoenix Suns: Yes, the Suns should draft Zion Williamson.
Chicago Bulls: Yes, the Bulls should draft Zion Williamson.
Atlanta Hawks: Yes, the Hawks should draft Zion Williamson.
Washington Wizards: Yes, the Wizards should draft Zion Williamson.
New Orleans Pelicans: Yes, the Pelicans should draft Zion Williamson.
Dallas Mavericks: Yes, the Mavericks should draft Zion Williamson.
Memphis Grizzlies: Yes, the Grizzlies should draft Zion Williamson.
Minnesota Timberwolves: Yes, the Wolves should draft Zion Williamson.
Los Angeles Lakers: Yes, the Lakers should draft Zion Williamson
Philadelphia 76ers: Yes, the Sixers should draft Zion Williamson.
Miami Heat: Yes, the Heat should draft Zion Williamson.
Charlotte Hornets: Yes, the Hornets should draft Zion Williamson.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Great Ringer article today about the NBA Draft

WHICH LOTTERY TEAMS COULD USE ZION WILLIAMSON?
By Rodger Sherman

Not enough attention in NBA draft circles is paid to analyzing team needs. This is a point of obsession heading into each year's NFL draft, as football teams rarely draft a quarterback in the first round if they already have a trusted passer on their roster. What about basketball teams? Should an NBA franchise really target Zion Williamson at no. 1 overall if Zion Williamson doesn't fit a Zion Williamson–sized hole in its depth chart?
To determine this answer, I examined the lineups of every team in this year's lottery to see whether Williamson would be a worthwhile pick if that team lands at no. 1. After extensive research, here are my findings:

New York Knicks: Yes, the Knicks should draft Zion Williamson.
Cleveland Cavaliers: Yes, the Cavs should draft Zion Williamson.
Phoenix Suns: Yes, the Suns should draft Zion Williamson.
Chicago Bulls: Yes, the Bulls should draft Zion Williamson.
Atlanta Hawks: Yes, the Hawks should draft Zion Williamson.
Washington Wizards: Yes, the Wizards should draft Zion Williamson.
New Orleans Pelicans: Yes, the Pelicans should draft Zion Williamson.
Dallas Mavericks: Yes, the Mavericks should draft Zion Williamson.
Memphis Grizzlies: Yes, the Grizzlies should draft Zion Williamson.
Minnesota Timberwolves: Yes, the Wolves should draft Zion Williamson.
Los Angeles Lakers: Yes, the Lakers should draft Zion Williamson
Philadelphia 76ers: Yes, the Sixers should draft Zion Williamson.
Miami Heat: Yes, the Heat should draft Zion Williamson.
Charlotte Hornets: Yes, the Hornets should draft Zion Williamson.

This level of analysis is unprecedented

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember feeling this apathetic about one of my teams during a playoff series. I see absolutely nothing to build on, every worse case scenario storyline has played out beat by beat. The defensive gameplan is to let Harden get his AND let him get his teammates involved, brilliant.

Not a single reliable offensive set, they look completely lost out there. Feels like a terrible look or a turnover every time down the court.

I swear the team had way more spunk against the Rockets last year, or maybe Harden was just a bit cold that series.
Either way, I think I'll be able to enjoy the playoffs much more once we get bounced, and hopefully offseason changes abound.

Also, Pistons girl actively roots against the Jazz even though she lives here, just because of the fans. I thought you guys would like that.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I can't remember feeling this apathetic about one of my teams during a playoff series. I see absolutely nothing to build on, every worse case scenario storyline has played out beat by beat. The defensive gameplan is to let Harden get his AND let him get his teammates involved, brilliant.

Not a single reliable offensive set, they look completely lost out there. Feels like a terrible look or a turnover every time down the court.

I swear the team had way more spunk against the Rockets last year, or maybe Harden was just a bit cold that series.
Either way, I think I'll be able to enjoy the playoffs much more once we get bounced, and hopefully offseason changes abound.

Also, Pistons girl actively roots against the Jazz even though she lives here, just because of the fans. I thought you guys would like that.
It really does feel weird this year, in a bad way. I think it was the last 2 nights of the season that set the stage. Just feels like a week and a half of just bad news on top of bad news for this team. Maybe it was the cream puff remaining schedule that made us believe this team was up to the task and then the brutal reality that they aren't Or maybe it could go all the way back to the trade deadline when we knew a change was needed and then nothing happened followed only by the injury to Exum. Who knows, but this season sucks and I hope Lindsay pulls some good moves over the summer.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You are a Jazz fan and you hated on Lando. You were approaching an addition to my suspect list.
Lol. Jazz are a great organization who just happen to be in a location with lots of white people and crappy fans. Jazz themselves are all class.

And I love Lando, that's why seeing smooth af and awesome Billy Dee as an old man bums me out, that trailer did nothing for me and I fucking love Star Wars.

You don't go out of your way to talk French to a potential 'suspect' just admit you love me Mon coeur

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Jazz are a great organization who just happen to be in a location with lots of white people and crappy fans. Jazz themselves are all class.

And I love Lando, that's why seeing smooth af and awesome Billy Dee as an old man bums me out, that trailer did nothing for me and I fucking love Star Wars.

You don't go out of your way to talk French to a potential 'suspect' just admit you love me Mon coeur

Tu es décent. L'amour est trop fort d'un mot. Je dirais que vous êtes une personne remarquable au goût discutable. J'aime la musique jazz, mais leur organisation peut graver pour ce 3 points John Stockton fabriqué en 1997

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't been perfect, but I feel strangely encouraged by the Celts first two games. For starters, they won them. Tatum got going and Kyrie was great in both of them. Jaylen's locked down defensively in Smart's absence, despite having to guard different assignments than he's used to, and getting screwed with foul trouble yesterday which sprung Bojan a bit. Jaylen and Tatum both made great passes down the stretch that they don't always make.

Yeah, I'm coming away pretty disappointed. As you said, they've neither taken anything away nor exploited any of Houston's weaknesses.

Open Corner 3s? Clear lanes to the hoop? Easy (and I mean very easy) lobs to roll men? CP3 15 footers? They're all there each and every time.

Offensively, they're not doing anything to isolate Harden or CP3 for mismatches or making them work through screens. They're not pounding the offensive glass. They're not taking advantage of Houston's lack of weakside discipline. And they're missing good looks when they get them.

They're not even muddying up the game at all or pounding Harden. I thought they had some success early second half with more active trapping, but that's unsustainable.

I'm not saying all of these things would work, and I understand Houston presents unique challenges, but not being able to limit any of Houston's strengths or capitalize on any of their weaknesses is disappointing. I thought we'd have a better series, and I still think it's possible because Houston isn't going to out-adjust you, but running out of time.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Playoff Luke Kennard

20/4/2 in 31.5 minutes
52 FG% 73% 3pt FG% 13.5 shots per game

By god, he's outplaying Donovan Mitchell.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Marv Albert dementia alert:

I too have frequently looked at Kenneth Faried and thought, "that's Gerald Green"

I've been getting a kick out of the national broadcasters continually confusing Meyers Leonard and Zach Collins. I mean, sure, they're both fairly nondescript 7-foot white guys who primarily exist to foul people and jack threes, but one of them is blond and one is brunette, and that's enough of a distinction that you shouldn't be constantly referring to one as the other. In game 1, it literally happened in the same sentence as one of the broadcasters said "Collins hacked going up, and that will send Leonard to the line." Like... what? Maybe the Blazers can convince the refs that they're actually a single person, Zach "Meyers" Collins Leonard, and we can play 6 on 5 next game.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

I wasn't watching basketball back then

but Dell Curry over Klay?

Yeah, I'm coming away pretty disappointed. As you said, they've neither taken anything away nor exploited any of Houston's weaknesses.

Open Corner 3s? Clear lanes to the hoop? Easy (and I mean very easy) lobs to roll men? CP3 15 footers? They're all there each and every time.

Offensively, they're not doing anything to isolate Harden or CP3 for mismatches or making them work through screens. They're not pounding the offensive glass. They're not taking advantage of Houston's lack of weakside discipline. And they're missing good looks when they get them.

They're not even muddying up the game at all or pounding Harden. I thought they had some success early second half with more active trapping, but that's unsustainable.

I'm not saying all of these things would work, and I understand Houston presents unique challenges, but not being able to limit any of Houston's strengths or capitalize on any of their weaknesses is disappointing. I thought we'd have a better series, and I still think it's possible because Houston isn't going to out-adjust you, but running out of time.

Yeah, Utah has been the most disappointing team by far in the playoffs in front of GS.
They've actually made me mad and I'm not even a fan. What a bad showing through 2

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
that was real weird. love me some dell obviously but when ray was going on about how we've gotta watch the rest of klay's career and see if he carries a team I was like wtf, dell was a bench guy what are you even talking about
i know right. When I heard that argument, I was like hm?

could've taken out Dell, and just not excluded himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.