• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Never forget when Jaylen Brown asked Ainge if last year's Celtics team was as good as the 86 team.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of like Jaylen Brown. Obviously not for that contract but he seems like a solid player.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
actually kinda surprised at all the curry mvp picks.

Harden seems the most likely candidate by a good bit. Well him and Giannis. Curry is who I'd want, but no way I'd pick him in anything lol.
I don't think WB will eat into his stats enough.
Harden just drop 37 a game and didn't win it, he also got robbed of one in the past. He's not winning it again. We also know Curry makes all those 3s in the regular season

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Since the Zion thread is probably dead I wanted to share my therapy session I posted in there:

-------

OK as a pelicans fan let me give my opinion on this. I just need to talk about it anyways because it is all I can think about it.

First of all, I am not worried about the ramifications of this for him based on the injury itself and the fact that we hired Aaron Nelson this offseason who is allegedly the best athletic trainer in the league. Whether it is actually a repair vs a removal I trust him. Yes he needs to lose weight of course.

Second, I am not worried about how this affects the team/record. We have been heralded as one of the deepest teams in the league in the offseason/preseason, and having our biggest rookie - yes a fucking awesome one but a rookie - miss the first two months where we have one of the hardest schedules in the league is probably not going to tank our season. Either this almost entirely new team was going to learn how gel together quickly or they weren't.

What does worry me is how this will damper excitement in the team from local fans, casual observers, the media, and everyone else in between. We were right at the top of the momentum roller-coaster and now it just broke down at the apex and the team will be flooded with hot takes and negativity/disinterest again. And it won't be deserved.

If the pels can stay over .500 in the first two weeks against the Raptors, Mavs, Rockets, Warriors, Nuggets, and Thunder then hopefully that will do a lot to instill confidence.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
For his play the last 3 years, it's overpay. It's fine locking him up, but he needs to improve, ASAP. Because if he plays like he did last year he's definitely not worth this contract. That's why people say overpay.

Yes, if Jaylen starts shooting 39% from 3, shoots 75%+ at the line, and plays great defense he won't be overpay.

But right now? He's overpaid.
Well he's definitely not overpaid right now.

I agree this contract definitely bakes in improvement, and Jaylen needs to improve in a few areas. There are very few players I'd be more comfortable risking that improvement on though, personally. He's 22 and has gotten better every year, despite his teammates, role, and responsibilities changing during the course of every year. Jaylen didn't get to hoist 15 meaningless shots a game while he was developing - I think being on successful teams can actually be really difficult for young lotto picks who have been the most talented player on the floor their whole lives. He's flashed every tool you'd want at the league's most valuable position. On top of that he's an incredibly smart young man who by all accounts is an incredible worker and teammate.

It's definitely a bet on the player and a vote of confidence by the team, and a worthy one IMO. Beyond pumped he's going to be on the roster for the next 5 years. Jaylen will not fail.

Also Jaylen was dynamite after the first 2-3 months last year, and he has shown up every year in the playoffs.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
why'd you guys waive big three mvp joe johnson VeePs ?

We didn't have the roster space.

I think the original plan was Joe Johnson was going to be the 15th man, but Christian Wood was on waivers and we decided to pick him up as well. From there we had a "camp battle", and from everything I heard I really felt like we were going to waive Wood and keep Joe.

Then Wood did pretty great in preseason. He played in all 5 preseason games, and he ranked second on the team in points, rebounds and blocks in 17 minutes per game. He shot 55% from the field, 83% from the free-throw line (20-of-24) and 40% from downtown (2-of-5).

He was probably the best backup big on the floor, better than both Thon and Markieff Morris, and better than Joe. We had to take him lol.

I think our front office tried to explore trades to make room for Joe, but a lot of teams are kinda locked down and we couldn't make it work.

TLDR: Not enough roster space, other players outplayed Joe in preseason

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
We didn't have the roster space.

I think the original plan was Joe Johnson was going to be the 15th man, but Christian Wood was on waivers and we decided to pick him up as well. From there we had a "camp battle", and from everything I heard I really felt like we were going to waive Wood and keep Joe.

Then Wood did pretty great in preseason. He played in all 5 preseason games, and he ranked second on the team in points, rebounds and blocks in 17 minutes per game. He shot 55% from the field, 83% from the free-throw line (20-of-24) and 40% from downtown (2-of-5).

He was probably the best backup big on the floor, better than both Thon and Markieff Morris, and better than Joe. We had to take him lol.

I think our front office tried to explore trades to make room for Joe, but a lot of teams are kinda locked down and we couldn't make it work.

TLDR: Not enough roster space, other players outplayed Joe in preseason

oh well. back to the Big3 i guess. time for a showdown with Agent 0

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
oh well. back to the Big3 i guess. time for a showdown with Agent 0

I think another team will definitely sign up Joe tho! If they have roster spots opening. I know Nets and Bucks were interested in him before he signed with us. The biggest reason he signed with us was at the time we had a roster spot available, and one of our front office heads is his former agent (Arn Tellem). That's the same reason Wayne Ellington signed with us last year.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Guys I just channeled my inner Jokic by eating 1.5lbs of gummy candy and I feel like shit

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
It's funny seeing that JB extension I was thinking to myself....man this guy would be dynamite on the Blazers. Little, Gary Trent Jr and a 1st? Some salary filler from us as well? I'd do that instantly. He's great in my opinion. Plays his ass off at the most valuable position in the league today. I wouldn't take anything from last year.

Him and Tatum are a lot closer than people think. Much different play styles but really not that far talent wise from each other.

1 gift from Jarate

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Jarate Jarate!

This is a weeklong raffle that will expire in one week. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Jarate said:
Literally all you win is a gif of lamelo

tQFHkbm.gif

These are our awesome prizes:

• [img]https://i.imgur.com/tQFHkbm.gif[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/tQFHkbm.gif[/img]: [img]https://i.imgur.com/tQFHkbm.gif[/img] - Won by Balbanes Balbanes (8 entries)

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Excited to see Laker's (namely AD) feast this season. Also Jrue Holiday gonna go awf. Shout-out to my son Bradley Beal; he's gonna be beasting and feasting.

Linkage76

Oct 27, 2017
actually kinda surprised at all the curry mvp picks.

Harden seems the most likely candidate by a good bit. Well him and Giannis. Curry is who I'd want, but no way I'd pick him in anything lol.
I don't think WB will eat into his stats enough.
I think the narrative will help Curry's chances. He'll have to go supernova to have the Warriors in the Playoffs with KD gone and Klay injured. If he can average decent numbers around 30/5/6 and the team makes the payoffs he'll win it

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Fantasy League is full up, I have to go to bed, I can do a draft around 8:30 pm EST tomorrow.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
I don't believe that narrative has any significant effect on modern MVP voting beyond deciding tiebreakers (e.g. 2017), but Steph definitely has more narrative stuff going for him than any other serious MVP candidate.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
2019-20 NBA predictions:
MVP: Anthony Davis
DPOY: Anthony Davis
ROY: Ja Morant
COY: Quinn Synder
6MOY: Spencer Dinwiddie
MIP: Lonnie Walker (does he count?)
Leading scorer: Steph Curry
Champion: Lakers