• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Giannis's and Harden's success in offenses that are designed exactly for them makes me wonder what other players would benefit from being fully unleashed. Ben Simmons is the obvious one to me -- how good would he look in the Bucks' system?

hermit

Oct 25, 2017
big honey moving up. nba fucked once my boy works on his conditioning and enters his prime in a couple years

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
KD is better at offense and defense than LeBron. I don't think either of those are even controversial to say.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Someone needs to do a comparison of top 10 all-time players and how long their reign as "undisputed best player in the league" lasted.
Off the top of my head:
LeBron: 2010-2018(?) - 8 Years
Jordan: 1990-1998 - 8 years, 6.5 if we exclude his retirement?

80's player can get tricky since Magic and Bird were always back and forth with one another at various points in time.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
LeBron has been the best player in the world since 2008 tho, when Mike Brown got him into really playing defense.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
As of right now, on Feb 18th, 2019, Kevin Durant > LeBron James. FZZ was right.

But Paul George > both of em
Is there a worse non-trade in recent NBA history than Magic & co. turning down Paul George for Brandon Ingram? The only one I can think of that really compares is MJ turning down 4 1sts to draft Frank the Tank.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently LeBron acting friendly with other players at the all star game means he is acting like a thirsty cougar. That wonderful insight brought to you by Bill "Players trying to dictate where they go is bad for the league expect that time Kyrie did it" Simmons.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Bron had the first pick when it came to the starters, so that left Giannis with by far the worst starter, Kemba Walker. Giannis picked the reserves first and he went for his teammate Khris Middleton over AD, so I think that is really where the imbalance came from.

Also trading Ben Simmons for Russell Westbrook and drafting Deangelo Russell with FIVE other players still on the board.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't put anyone above Bron until he shows decline in the playoffs. Others having a better season, sure, but actually a better player? No.
Shame if he doesn't make the playoffs to see what he does...35-36 is the real bitch, and I'm guessing he will show his age then. Could be missing his last absolute beast mode playoff performance.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Someone needs to do a comparison of top 10 all-time players and how long their reign as "undisputed best player in the league" lasted.
Off the top of my head:
LeBron: 2010-2018(?) - 8 Years
Jordan: 1990-1998 - 8 years, 6.5 if we exclude his retirement?

80's player can get tricky since Magic and Bird were always back and forth with one another at various points in time.

By the 87-88 season Jordan was the best player. He won defensive player of the year while averaging 35 points a game and over 60% true shooting. Magic Johnson had his best season in 86-87 and was never quite at the level again and Bird's peak ended in 85-86.

87-88
88-89
89-90
90-91
91-92
92-93
95-96
96-97
97-98

Lebron won his first MVP in the 08-09 season while leading a mediocre Cavs team to 66 wins. He was undisputedly the best player in the league at that point up until this season.

08-09
09-10
10-11
11-12
12-13
13-14
14-15
15-16
16-17
17-18

So Lebron has the longevity edge 10 seasons to 9. Except Jordan was the best player in both the regular season and playoffs during his 9 seasons whereas Lebron hasn't been the best regular season player since 2013-14.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently LeBron acting friendly with other players at the all star game means he is acting like a thirsty cougar. That wonderful insight brought to you by Bill "Players trying to dictate where they go is bad for the league expect that time Kyrie did it" Simmons.

You'll be so much happier if you ignore dipshits like Simmons, SAS, Cowherd, and Skeeyup. They don't offer any real insight. Just stick with Woj, Shams, the various NBA beat reporters from ESPN, Bleacherreport, etc. The talking heads are trash.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
I just can't put anyone above Bron until he shows decline in the playoffs. Others having a better season, sure, but actually a better player? No.
Shame if he doesn't make the playoffs to see what he does...35-36 is the real bitch, and I'm guessing he will show his age then. Could be missing his last absolute beast mode playoff performance.

If a player is on the floor for 2/3rds of a teams season and his team misses the playoffs they can't be regarded as the games best. He normally picks his level up in the playoffs, but these last 25 games are playoff games for the Lakers. If he can't raise his level and get them in, that's proof he's no longer that guy.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Boogs31 Given the playoff outcomes for Jordan and LeBron in those earlier years, it's hard for me to give them the nod as best player over the likes of Magic and Kobe. I know, teams make the difference but while I can concede 09-10 for LeBron and 89-90 for Jordan, there was still room for debate for both players prior to those years.

With that being said, LeBron's peak is probably the most impressive run we've ever seen given the competition level across the league. I'm sure there are case studies out there that can compare the difference between the best player and 2nd best player and that gap between the two but that would also be interesting.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Boogs31 Given the playoff outcomes for Jordan and LeBron in those earlier years, it's hard for me to give them the nod as best player over the likes of Magic and Kobe. I know, teams make the difference but while I can concede 09-10 for LeBron and 89-90 for Jordan, there was still room for debate for both players prior to those years.
LeBron James looked like a god in the 09 playoffs and I don't even need to tell you about Jordan..

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

With that being said, LeBron's peak is probably the most impressive run we've ever seen given the competition level across the league. I'm sure there are case studies out there that can compare the difference between the best player and 2nd best player and that gap between the two but that would also be interesting.
I'm not sure if you remember LeBrons 2009 postseason but it honestly might be his most impressive sustained performance

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
LeBron James looked like a god in the 09 playoffs and I don't even need to tell you about Jordan..
Yeah, his individual performance was one of the best ever, however, Kobe also put up an all-time great run that post-season on a better team and won a title so there is a genuine debate to be had for that season. This is why I said undisputed. Same with Jordan, he was more than likely the best player in NBA from 87-89, but it wasn't until he was able to beat the Bad boy Pistons that he was the undisputed best player.

If we want to change the qualifier to arguably, then yes Boogs list is correct.
How long was Kareem's reign? You could probably argue he was the best player the moment he came into the league in 69-70 until which season? 80-81? That's impressive in its own right.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio

87-88 Jordan - 60.3 true shooting on 34.1 usage, 31.7 PER, 11.8 VORP, 12.2 BPM, 21.2 WS.

87-88 Magic - 58.1 true shooting on 23.4 usage, 23.1 PER, 4.9 VORP, 5.3 BPM, 10.9 WS.

There is literally no statistical case for Magic being better than Jordan that year.

08-09 Lebron - 59.1 true shooting on 33.8 usage, 31.7 PER, 11.7 VORP, 13 BPM, 20.3 WS.

08-09 Kobe - 56.1 true shooting on 32.2 usage, 24.4 PER, 4.9 VORP, 4.5 BPM, 12.7 WS.

There is literally no statistical case for Kobe being better than Lebron that year.

The only argument that can be made is Magic and Kobe won the title while Jordan and Lebron did not. But as you already stated, it's a team sport and the best teams win, not always the best player (As we've seen with Lebron versus the Warriors).

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so ready for when Kyrie says he's not coming back to Boston since he's going to the Knicks.

I'll be refreshing my podcast app so much just to hear Bill Simmons lose his goddamn mind about how Kyrie should be happy in Boston instead of New York.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
You'll be so much happier if you ignore dipshits like Simmons, SAS, Cowherd, and Skeeyup. They don't offer any real insight. Just stick with Woj, Shams, the various NBA beat reporters from ESPN, Bleacherreport, etc. The talking heads are trash.
Woj has hated LeBron and the Lakers each for years for different reasons.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone hates the Lakers and colludes against them despite the revenue sharing tbh
Saying everyone hates the Lakers is probably a bit much, but a lot of the media(like ESPN) has east coast bias and then there are people who hate the Lakers due to their past success. There are hypocritical owners like Cuban out there as well and you reportedly have people like Pop telling teams not to trade with us.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saying everyone hates the Lakers is probably a bit much, but a lot of the media(like ESPN) has east coast bias and then there are people who hate the Lakers due to their past success. There are hypocritical owners like Cuban out there as well and you reportedly have people like Pop telling teams not to trade with us.
I don't like the Lakers because they're all I ever hear about them despite being trash for years. Sports shows may as well cover Atlanta Hawks 24/7 the way they do the Lakers, same thing basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.