• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That was "Lin"-sanity!

(Lin is Jeremy Lin's last name, combined with the word "insanity", to spell "Linsanity", since it was "insane" to see Jeremy Lin play really well, "insane" being slang for unexpected and exciting)

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
That was "Lin"-sanity!

(Lin is Jeremy Lin's last name, combined with the word "insanity", to spell "Linsanity", since it was "insane" to see Jeremy Lin play really well, "insane" being slang for unexpected and exciting)
428377056213204992.png

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what their reasoning is, that's their problem. It's a risk they took by not trading him. So long as the NBA ties contract bonuses into performance via things like All NBA selections, a player in Davis' position absolutely has a right to have a grievance if his team tries to sit him when he's healthy and wants to play. And the league and the PA have an obligation to look out for him.

It is their problem right now, but it is the whole league's problem at some point unless things change.

The NBA is an entertainment business. If teams choose to sacrifice entertainment for some long plan of resting assets that are healthy, then they are going against the core principle of the business. The number one goal of the league is to make money.

I agree that the goal is to make money and one important aspect of that is creating stability and a structure that incentivizes teams to act in ways that helps the league. Right now, teams are incentivised to take actions that undercut the perception that the league is about competition. That's bad. You can't fix it by just punishing teams, as long as the incentives are there, they will continue to do whatever they can to skirt the rules.

Last edited:

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im just glad he's not wasting away with the hawks anymore. If he stays healthy, a back up PG on a playoff squad seems right

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...redicted-sweep-of-defeated-cavs-before-game-4

His friend and former teammate at Washington State, Marcus Capers, told Jayson Jenks of The Athletic that Thompson predicted the sweep mid-series:
"I was going to get a flight for Game 5 of the Finals in Oakland. He was like, 'Nah, we're about to sweep this. We can tell, they're just defeated, so come to Cleveland.' After Game 3, they won and we were sitting there chilling. I was like, 'Alright, bro. What do you want to do?' We were just sitting there catching up. And as we were catching up, he brought out a Nintendo 64. Like, he traveled with it everywhere, and we played 'Super Smash Bros.' until probably 3 in the morning."

plus

Oct 25, 2017
I'll always have a soft spot for Lin and hope he goes far in the playoffs this season. My fam down in markham gonna go hype about this pickup lol

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Lin is a good dude and still has a lot left in the tank. Rooting for him to do well in Toronto

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
There is a large Asian population there. Toronto already loves Lin.

Didn't realize he's so old already. Linsanity didn't seem that long ago. I think this is going to be like his 5th team?

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably play Lin and FVV together. Lin is a better passer and he can actually see over the defense. VanFleet can go back to his thing of being an off ball spot up scorer instead of runnin the second unit

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those defending the Pels, how would you feel if AD threats to sit out next season in case he gets traded to a team he doesn't want to sign long term?

As long as he doesn't expect to earn money, I see no issue. You can't expect to refuse to play and make 20 million though. Pelicans are the ones paying him, so they decide if they want to play him and playing him right now is just stupid.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It is their problem right now, but it is the whole league's problem at some point unless things change.

How does it become a league problem? What is there to change? If a player is healthy, and able to play, and wants to play, teams should act in good faith and play them. If the team and player want to come to some agreement to sit the player in the best interest of both parties (what you saw with Carmelo, what we've seen with tanking teams in the past) that's another story. That Davis publicly asked for a trade, that the Pelicans didn't feel obligated to agree to (as they should, the decision is theirs) doesn't mean they can now just sit a healthy player. What's to stop a team from sitting a guy as a form of punishment? Whats to stop a team from sitting player to avoid them making an All NBA team, so they can pay them less come time for a new contract?

As long as he doesn't expect to earn money, I see no issue. You can't expect to refuse to play and make 20 million though. Pelicans are the ones paying him, so they decide if they want to play him and playing him right now is just stupid.

They don't. If he's healthy and they are sitting him only to avoid injury, or to help their tank odds, the league is going to step in, as they have, and as they should.

If he outright refused to play for them the team could probably extend his contract by a year until he suits up.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Pels could have avoided all this, now they lose. I think Dell Demps will probably be fired in the next 24 months anyways.

Players take notice, good luck getting anyone to sign there, see how they treat their players.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...redicted-sweep-of-defeated-cavs-before-game-4

His friend and former teammate at Washington State, Marcus Capers, told Jayson Jenks of The Athletic that Thompson predicted the sweep mid-series:
"I was going to get a flight for Game 5 of the Finals in Oakland. He was like, 'Nah, we're about to sweep this. We can tell, they're just defeated, so come to Cleveland.' After Game 3, they won and we were sitting there chilling. I was like, 'Alright, bro. What do you want to do?' We were just sitting there catching up. And as we were catching up, he brought out a Nintendo 64. Like, he traveled with it everywhere, and we played 'Super Smash Bros.' until probably 3 in the morning."

He travels with a N64? At first I thought he was talking about his college days or something.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If we go by current record (understanding that Porzingis is out) he's the best right now. I have no clue how the Twolves are so bad.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
This Lakers/Simmons thing is hilarious because he's about the worst type of fit next to LeBron imaginable lmfao. Replicates all of LeBron's strengths without any shooting at all. As if LeBron is gonna play off-ball and just ball-watch Simmons run the offense. And if LeBron runs things, Simmons is near useless unless he wants to play primarily in the post, which he doesn't. So whatever, this whole thing is going nowhere.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'd give you maybe KAT but as far as Porzingis, we have no idea the type of player he will be once he comes back and i'd say he's about the same as Booker.
DLo is the only one contributing on a winning team so I think that says something.

The caveat is "when healthy". Booker I think is essentially a better version of what D'Lo gives you. Don't really care about records. By that logic is Russell better than AD?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Not the best player from the 2014 draft has to do something about it imo :p

The Nets have a competent front office who despite not making any flashy moves have put thought into things like roster construction and coaching hires. The Wolves....hired Tom Thibedau and gave him total control. And have an owner who handed a guy an undeserved max deal so long as he promised to try harder.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
The caveat is "when healthy". Booker I think is essentially a better version of what D'Lo gives you. Don't really care about records. By that logic is Russell better than AD?
Booker is a very one-dimensional player, whereas DLo is more rounded. That's not even the logic I am using since team record has to do with your team as whole but it says something when a player can put a respectable stat line on a good team.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Lost one hour and a half watching High Flying Bird on Netflix. First 50 minutes are absolute filler, nothing is going on. I want my time back.

Status
Not open for further replies.