• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkage76

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that feels the Rockets will blow away the Jazz. Playing the Thunder would have been better :/

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Ok I've got -

EAST
MIL 4 DET 0
BOS 4 IND 1
PHI 4 BKN 1
TOR 4 ORL 0

WEST
GSW 4 LAC 1
HOU 4 UTA 2
OKC 4 POR 2
SAS 4 DEN 2

Things are going to be pretty run of the mill in the East. In the West, I think Houston might take a bit to figure out the Jazz, so they might drop an early one so I have them winning 4-2. I like Portland, but OKC have the best player and that will probably make the difference. And I think Spurs will surprise Denver given their playoff experience.

Two early exits for Lillard and McCollum is going to be difficult for them to take.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
East round 1 is whack. Saturday isn't even that good a lineup of games. We should literally skip the warriors/clippers series.

MIL in 4
TOR in 5
PHI in 6
BOS in 6

GSW in 4
DEN in 6
OKC in 7
HOU in 7

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Ok I've got -

EAST
MIL 4 DET 0
BOS 4 IND 1
PHI 4 BKN 1
TOR 4 ORL 0

WEST
GSW 4 LAC 1
HOU 4 UTA 2
OKC 4 POR 2
SAS 4 DEN 2

Things are going to be pretty run of the mill in the East. In the West, I think Houston might take a bit to figure out the Jazz, so they might drop an early one so I have them winning 4-2. I like Portland, but OKC have the best player and that will probably make the difference. And I think Spurs will surprise Denver given their playoff experience.

Two early exits for Lillard and McCollum is going to be difficult for them to take.

Denver has arguably the best guy to have guarding Aldridge. Millsap is a terrific defender. So are you expecting DeRozan to actually play well in the playoffs? Or are you expecting the 20th ranked Spurs D to slow down the NBA's 6th best offense?

I just don't see any realistic case for the Spurs winning this, especially without home court. The only argument I've heard is they have more experience. While that's true, experience is not everything, talent matters an awful lot as well.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
East round 1 is whack. Saturday isn't even that good a lineup of games. We should literally skip the warriors/clippers series.

MIL in 4
TOR in 5
PHI in 6
BOS in 6

GSW in 4
DEN in 6
OKC in 7
HOU in 7

I think the east will be more competitive than people think. Especially with Smart's injury for Boston who was their best guy to defend Bogdanovic.

Embiid possibly missing the start of the first round is also a bigger deal than people think. Philly has an incredibly thin roster even with Embiid. Brooklyn has offensive weapons in Russell, Levert, Dinwiddie and Harris. I don't think Boban is going to be able to stay on the floor against the Nets perimeter talent. Kenny Atkinson is a good coach, wouldn't be surprised to see the Nets try some zone considering Philly lacks 3 point shooting.

Orlando's frontcourt matches up well with Toronto. Gordon have the size and strength to not get bullied by Kawhi. Isaac is super long and athletic and has given Siakam fits. Vucevic may very well be the 2nd best player in the series.

Milwaukee will anihilate Detroit. Especially if Blake is not fully recovered.

Having said all this, I agree with all your picks. Having multiple series go 6 games and only having 1 sweep would be a relatively competitive first round if you ask me.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Boogs31

When it comes to Denver I'm skeptical for 2 main reasons. While I agree that age and experience is often overrated there is no question that teams with experience do have an advantage.

The main reason I am skeptical about Denver is because of how deep they are, having a 12 man rotation is great in the regular season but in the playoffs you only really want/need 9 with 3 main guys doing all the work. If everything gets too hard the Spurs know they can rely on Aldridge, Mills and to a lesser extent Derozen. With Denver the only real certainty is millsap

I think these too factors will be why the Spurs likely beat Denver. If Denver beats San Antonio they definitely make the WCF

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly thrilled to face Rockets in first round. Oh well, time to try to shave the Beard.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
San Antonio has Popovich
Who with one more win will be the single most winningest coach in NBA history. Amazing!

Not exactly thrilled to face Rockets in first round. Oh well, time to try to shave the Beard.
You and me both. But the Jazz are better this year, hopefully Rudy plays Capela better, plus the Rockets took a couple steps back. Rubio and Korver will be there this year and healthy. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Oh god a whole series of Harden's nonsense and Paul's whining, this is the worst timeline.

I wrote a thread on reddit how the Jazz should sit the starters against Denver then play to win the Clippers game if needed. As it turns out resting the starters both days would have netted the Jazz an easier bracket and easier opponent. Pride just might lead to a short playoff run. Oh well, it is what it is.

The NBA really needs to go to playoff round reseeding to minimize seed manipulation going forward. But that's a topic for another day.

Last edited:

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
YES! This is the best scenario for the Thunder, considering how badly they've played since the All-Star Break. They get to avoid the Warriors and Rockets until the WCF!

There are some really good matchups in the west first round. OKC/POR, UTA/HOU, SAS/DEN. Even GSW/LAC could have some good games. I'm less excited about the east, but BOS/IND and PHI/BKN should be fun.

My predictions

East

MIL in 5
TOR in 5
PHI in 6
BOS in 7

West

GSW in 5
DEN in 7
HOU in 6
OKC in 5 - this is just my hope, but it'll probably be 6 or 7

It's not crazy. Both teams that were supposed to win, won in Denver and Portland?

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/04/11/jazz-clippers-analysis-by/

This points out how insane the odds were for the Rockets to go down to 4th seed. All of the late game probabilities were in the Jazz's favor to play POR.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Happy to see my Magic finally back in the playoffs. They've had so much young talent for ages and so many set backs by bad roster moves (letting Tobias Harris go twice, opting to keep Elfird Payton over Oladipo etc.) under the prior GM kept them from ever clicking. At least they kept Vucevic through all of it and it paid off with 20pts and 12 boards season. He'll probably be hard to keep this off season, but I hope they pay him as having a traditional center is an advantage in a league without many. And I'm not sure Bamba will ever bee as good as Vucevic is. This core has a chance to be really good the next few years, especially if Fultz gets healthy and reaches his potential as PG is the big hole in the roster.

I was also glad we won in Charlotte last night to finish with a winning record. Wish the Heat would have beaten the Nets though and bumped us up to the 6 seed. I'd like our chances against the 76ers better than the Raptors.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Master plan the Thunder executed.

Perfection.

Force utah vs Hou then Hou vs GSW

We get a injured Portland and young Denver team.

We better not choke....at least vs POR

Fuck Hou
Fuck Jazz

But fuck GSW hahha

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
Master plan the Thunder executed.

Perfection.

Force utah vs Hou then Hou vs GSW

We get a injured Portland and young Denver team.

We better not choke....at least vs POR

Fuck Hou
Fuck Jazz

But fuck GSW hahha

Portland is definitely easier than the Rockets, but the Nuggets swept OKC this season. Torrey Craig has been a real pest against Russ and PG, and Murray seems to go off every time he plays OKC.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Nice. Just saw that Jevon Carter scored 32 for the Grizzlies last night. I think that's the first WVU grad (my alma mater) to score over 30 in the NBA since Jerry West!

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I think the Magic have a decent shot of an upset. They split the season series and Kawhi played in all of those games. Two strong wins for the Magic, one very close, and a a strong loss.

OP
OP
Jarate

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Predictions assuming nk major injuries happen

Bucks vs Pistons - Bucks in 4/5
Raptors vs Orlando - Raptors in 5
Sixers vs Nets - Sixers in 5/6
Celtics vs Pacers - Celtics in 5

Warriors vs Clippers - Warriors in 4
Denver vs Spurs - Denver in 5
Portland vs OKC - OKC in 6/7
Houston vs Jazz - Houston in 5/6

Bucks vs Celtics - Celtics in 7
Raptors vs Sixers - Raptors in 7

Warriors vs Houston - Warriors in 5/6
Denver vs OKC - Denver in 7

Bucks vs Raptors - Bucks in 6
Warriros vs Denver - Warriors in 5

Warriors vs Bucks - Warriors in 5

I think the Rockets have the best chance to beat the warriors, shame they'll mee in the secod round. That side of the bracket is "burtal" compared to the other side. I think the 3 best teams in the west right now are Warriors, Rockets and Jazz. OKC im probably overrating, but I dont have that much faith in the Nuggets not being a regular season team

I really want to take the Sixers, if they were in the Western Conference, i'd really like them, I just think the Raptors are the worst matchuip because they have one of the few NBA players who can stop Ben Simmons in Kawhi. I still think the Raptors have locker room issues, and I really have no clue if the Sixers will "step up" for the playoffs, as their team has a shit ton of vets now. Bucks biggest threat is still the Celtics, who I still want to see in the playoffs. Kyrie Irving is a menace in the playoffs, as his iso scoring become super important as defenses tighten up. I think the Celtics are easily the worst matchup for the Bucks, but losing Marcus Smart is going to hurt that locker room.

Im just unsure of a lot of teams, and want to see them in the first round. If the Sixers are able to play super efficient defense against the Nets, I like their chances a lot more.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Lol, teach someone who has a chance in hell against him. Crowder would get torn to bits.

It actually sucks to not have Exum for this one matchup in particular. Oh well, it is nice not to have 'win or bust' expectations for the playoffs. I just want to be competitive. But I also keep remembering that game 3 from last year, oof.

I really hate that Golden State will be fresh as daisy's against whichever of these two beat up teams they end up getting. But at least we get by far the best first round matchup, and a chance to show improvement, even if we don't make it out of the first round.

At minimum four fun games to watch with Rocket bros, good dudes. I'll make the most of it. Really gotta figure out that Sunday schedule though, that's a kick in the nuts.

And where's our end of the year award ballot?

OP
OP
Jarate

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Magic are easily the strongest of the 6-7-8 teams, and Aaron Gordon is one of the few dudes who can guard Kawhi, I just don't see them making much noise. Kawhi is a finals MVP. Is Vucci Main going to be able to go toe to toe with him at the end of games?

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that Smart is out for the first round of playoffs, but nothing really changes. Celtics will win in 5 instead of 4.

OP
OP
Jarate

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im not going to judge you if you mispell any names, i'll have all the numbers, and I should be able to parse who got what vote. I just want there to be as little of "2% said luka, 2% said doncic, 2% said luka doncic, 2% said XXX etc etc." Just trying to limit the amount of work I have to do

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Predictions assuming nk major injuries happen

Bucks vs Pistons - Bucks in 4/5
Raptors vs Orlando - Raptors in 5
Sixers vs Nets - Sixers in 5/6
Celtics vs Pacers - Celtics in 5

Warriors vs Clippers - Warriors in 4
Denver vs Spurs - Denver in 5
Portland vs OKC - OKC in 6/7
Houston vs Jazz - Houston in 5/6

Bucks vs Celtics - Celtics in 7
Raptors vs Sixers - Raptors in 7

Warriors vs Houston - Warriors in 5/6
Denver vs OKC - Denver in 7

Bucks vs Raptors - Bucks in 6
Warriros vs Denver - Warriors in 5

Warriors vs Bucks - Warriors in 5

I think the Rockets have the best chance to beat the warriors, shame they'll mee in the secod round. That side of the bracket is "burtal" compared to the other side. I think the 3 best teams in the west right now are Warriors, Rockets and Jazz. OKC im probably overrating, but I dont have that much faith in the Nuggets not being a regular season team

I really want to take the Sixers, if they were in the Western Conference, i'd really like them, I just think the Raptors are the worst matchuip because they have one of the few NBA players who can stop Ben Simmons in Kawhi. I still think the Raptors have locker room issues, and I really have no clue if the Sixers will "step up" for the playoffs, as their team has a shit ton of vets now. Bucks biggest threat is still the Celtics, who I still want to see in the playoffs. Kyrie Irving is a menace in the playoffs, as his iso scoring become super important as defenses tighten up. I think the Celtics are easily the worst matchup for the Bucks, but losing Marcus Smart is going to hurt that locker room.

Im just unsure of a lot of teams, and want to see them in the first round. If the Sixers are able to play super efficient defense against the Nets, I like their chances a lot more.
You picked Celtics to beat Bucks but latter is in the finals.

What locker room issues do the raps have?

Anubis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Magic have a decent shot of an upset. They split the season series and Kawhi played in all of those games. Two strong wins for the Magic, one very close, and a a strong loss.
Pistons swept us.

Why are people putting a lot of stock into regular season games in 2019 fam?

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Denver has arguably the best guy to have guarding Aldridge. Millsap is a terrific defender. So are you expecting DeRozan to actually play well in the playoffs? Or are you expecting the 20th ranked Spurs D to slow down the NBA's 6th best offense?

I just don't see any realistic case for the Spurs winning this, especially without home court. The only argument I've heard is they have more experience. While that's true, experience is not everything, talent matters an awful lot as well.

You make good points. Millsap has been flying under the radar in Denver so I haven't paid that much notice to him, you could well be right on that. Aldridge can be unguardable at times, as long as he plays above average Spurs will do alright. I don't think DeRozan is THAT guy, but you still have to defend solidly on him. Things slow down in the playoffs (due to more hustle 50:50 plays), so that'll only help Spurs on defence here.

I gotta see Denver tested in the playoffs, because for now they had an excellent regular season and winning games against different opponents versus the same opponent 4-7 games in a row is a whole different kettle of fish. Sometimes you can steal a win here or there and then its up to the team that just lost to respond. With Pop the Spurs have a lot of valuable experience in the playoffs so that's a great advantage I have to give to the Spurs. Denver needs all their guys to be playing well because you just know Pop is going to cover Jokic and Murray well.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Pistons swept us.

Why are people putting a lot of stock into regular season games in 2019 fam?

2019 has been the most meaningless regular season that I can remember.

Golden State literally coasted the entire way, when they had that 73-9 season, they destroyed teams. Now Durant takes 10 shots a night and decides he's done for the night.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Giannis got my MVP vote. Those last few games made the edge too clearly in his favor. Sorry Harden, you were awesome.

Jarate after I finished it told me to give an email address or something. I ignored it, so hopefully the vote went through. Good categories!

Anubis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is our best chance at the finals.

I like our shot with a fully healthy team led by Kawhi which we didn't really have all regular season.

OP
OP
Jarate

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You picked Celtics to beat Bucks but latter is in the finals.

What locker room issues do the raps have?
I said that the Celtics match up well with the Bucks. I still think the Bucks will win due to that Marcus Smart injury

Everyone in that Raptors locker room knows Kawhi is going to leave, and rthere's been grumblings about him resting so much all throughout the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.