• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Everyone thinks I'm stupid, which proves I'm a genius."

It's crazy how many people think this way.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Max was so correct here, it actually hurts.

As Max stated, there is nothing wrong with leaning skeptic by default. Nobody should blindly accept someone else's comments as facts, and as he said...people's inability to do exactly that (sort/filter fact from bullshit) is part of the reason populism, the erosion of quality education, and a host of societal problems are on the rise. People prefer to replace truth with whatever sounds sweet to their itching ears and promises to make them feel special. But yea, some people only believe things that they haven't seen or done themselves, or are otherwise easy to see/do if they so desired. Yes, some people are dumb.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Trivia Time: The moon is spiraling away from Earth at an average rate of 3.8 cm per year.

We know the distance to the moon down to the centimeter. That's pretty precise!

We're able to get such an accurate measurement thanks to the Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment.

1024px-Apollo_11_Lunar_Laser_Ranging_Experiment.jpg

When Apollo 11 landed on the moon, they left behind an array of laser ranging retro-reflectors. They reflect lasers fired from Earth with a minimum of scattering, allowing use to record the time it takes the light to reflect back and calculate the distance to the moon. Previously, experiments trying to radio waves off the moon had a large degree of scattering and had a large uncertainty of 1.25 kilometers. Thanks to the retro-reflectors left by Apollo 11, scientists around the world were able to measure the distance to the moon with an uncertainty of mere 1.1 millimeters.

Neil Armstrong said it himself:

They won't respond to you because you provided scientific evidence.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
It's not *just* that people believe we didn't land on the moon or that the earth is flat. Those ideas in and of themselves are harmless.

It's the reasons why people believe that stuff. Whether it's narcissism (feeling like you're the only one to know the "truth"), or distrusting science for no good reason, or not being a critical thinker, and spreading all this garbage and cultivating a certain frame of mind. It's not good and it's not healthy, and it can be dangerous.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Curry can spout nonsense from now 'till next year and he'll still be the face of the league once LeBron hangs 'em up. KD is stressed.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

Max was 100% right but fuck SAS for doing his contrararing shit here, like, he's trying to go against Max but isn't able to even create a cohesive contrarian point. He just rambles on and says some shit to kinda try to make it seem like Max isn't 100% right. I understand that's his whole thing but he really should've just agreed with max on this one, this shit is far too important for him to be in character.

Oct 31, 2017
Max was so correct here, it actually hurts.

As Max stated, there is nothing wrong with leaning skeptic by default. Nobody should blindly accept someone else's comments as facts, and as he said...people's inability to do exactly that (sort/filter fact from bullshit) is part of the reason populism, the erosion of quality education, and a host of societal problems are on the rise. People prefer to replace truth with whatever sounds sweet to their itching ears and promises to make them feel special. But yea, some people only believe things that they haven't seen or done themselves, or are otherwise easy to see/do if they so desired. Yes, some people are dumb.
Max was 100% right but fuck SAS for doing his contrararing shit here, like, he's trying to go against Max but isn't able to even create a cohesive contrarian point. He just rambles on and says some shit to kinda try to make it seem like Max isn't 100% right. I understand that's his whole thing but he really should've just agreed with max on this one, this shit is far too important for him to be in character.

Well said.

I know they tell us not to read the YT comments, but I'd estimate around 90% are in favor of Steph on this topic. Take a look, my head is spinning.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Critical Thinking and Philosophy classes really should be mandatory in high school. There's way too many idiots out here and now they're showing up as public figures with actual influence.

Max and Wilbon's responses were so on point too. And I keep getting reminded how much of dumbass Kyrie Irving is. Guy played like 9 games at Duke did he skip class the rest of his time? lmao

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
This dumbass can land 3's from end to end, and can't believe we dumbasses have landed 3's in the moon?

This guy...

Don't care if he admits it was a fake, it's hilarious to think that people think this way. GSW ain't winning this year because the Moon is PISSED.

Oct 28, 2017
In what world do you live in?

If you read my other posts in this thread, I'm doing a shitty job of mocking the post I quoted.

People defending these "controversial opinions", "pranks" and "trolling" actions always try and hand-wave away their harmfulness with some garbage facts that don't exist in the real world. Its really no different from people defending Boogie1488's "Nazi science brought us a lot of good though" statement. The Nazis most definitely didn't yet people who love playing devil's advocate and purposely ignore any facts that prove that Nazi science was mostly hack science at best.

The guy I was responding to just spent a whole page arguing that "lol you got trolled, this is just a harmless prank lol don't take it so seriously". Its really no different from anyone that dismisses the severity of anti-vaxxers with "they so few in number" and "its so stupid that anyone with a brain shouldn't believe them".

Last edited:

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Yep, while Max spat 100% truth the irony is he's co-hosting a talk show that deliberately drums up contrarian and clashing views for entertainment. It's less of a problem because all they talk about is sport but it still creates an atmosphere of the murky spread of disinformation in the industry. It's something actual news channels like CNN learned from too.

I'm actually quite surprised he went, and was allowed to go, as deep as he did to be honest.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's not *just* that people believe we didn't land on the moon or that the earth is flat. Those ideas in and of themselves are harmless.

It's the reasons why people believe that stuff. Whether it's narcissism (feeling like you're the only one to know the "truth"), or distrusting science for no good reason, or not being a critical thinker, and spreading all this garbage and cultivating a certain frame of mind. It's not good and it's not healthy, and it can be dangerous.
Ideas are almost never harmless, because these ideas are presented in the public space for "further consideration". The most vulnerable are the ones that get caught up.

Misunderstanding the actual power of careless, ignorant words, thoughts and ideas have demonstrably made the world worse.