• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I know my guy Steph is chill. Now he gonna take some photos at NASA and this ended up kinda cool.

Vcitsover.gif

Still fuck Iggy tho

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
It's so fucking sad how conspiracy theories are so commonplace now. And when a famous person cites one, it can become "cool" to buy into it.

I find it depressing how fast Youtube can send you into nonsense like this, or flat earth bullshit, or other such crap. I love watching science videos, but Youtube's algorithms don't discriminate particularly well between actual science and anti-science. Watching videos about the moon can easily lead to recommendations like "the moon isn't real".

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly most people i know believe it is fake, and honestly not doing another trip there for almost 60 years raises questions about this mission. Please dont shoot me. Sorry
I was gonna post exactly this. Lol. Most ppl I know don't believe it. Mostly for the reason you mentioned. Not because of some conspiracy YouTube videos. I believe, but I do find it super weird they haven't gone again since.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so fucking sad how conspiracy theories are so commonplace now. And when a famous person cites one, it can become "cool" to buy into it.

I find it depressing how fast Youtube can send you into nonsense like this, or flat earth bullshit, or other such crap. I love watching science videos, but Youtube's algorithms don't discriminate particularly well between actual science and anti-science. Watching videos about the moon can easily lead to recommendations like "the moon isn't real".

It's the eternal love/hate relationship we have with the internet, lol. It can be so good sometimes and it can be just as horrible.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it was fake, how did sentinel prime come to earth

images

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna post exactly this. Lol. Most ppl I know don't believe it. Mostly for the reason you mentioned. Not because of some conspiracy YouTube videos. I believe, but I do find it super weird they haven't gone again since.
They have, though? We went to the moon 6 times.

The issue isn't that we can't go just that there isn't any real benefit for doing so. It costs too much for what it entails. There's literally nothing on the Moon that the Earth doesn't already provide in abundance.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I hate these threads. I can't tell if people are just trolling or not. I can't believe people can be so willfully ignorant. It gives me a headache.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
But he's right though.
nah i think the moon landing theory that it was a cold war move to make the russians spend and waste resources wasn't bad
stupid but nothing like flat earth stupid or anti vax stupid
Era is usually prove it without reasonable doubt type of forum so why are ppl attacking Curry for being skeptical on the moon landing when there are so many holes in the story and things left open to be questioned?
I sympathize with that view. Starting to like Curry more.
There's a difference between not believing science and seeing through an illusion set up to show the Russians the finger and boost morale for continued funding of an (at the time) failure of a government space program.
I agree with him go back and I won't think it was fake

Trivia Time: The moon is spiraling away from Earth at an average rate of 3.8 cm per year.

We know the distance to the moon down to the centimeter. That's pretty precise!

We're able to get such an accurate measurement thanks to the Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment.

1024px-Apollo_11_Lunar_Laser_Ranging_Experiment.jpg

When Apollo 11 landed on the moon, they left behind an array of laser ranging retro-reflectors. They reflect lasers fired from Earth with a minimum of scattering, allowing use to record the time it takes the light to reflect back and calculate the distance to the moon. Previously, experiments trying to radio waves off the moon had a large degree of scattering and had a large uncertainty of 1.25 kilometers. Thanks to the retro-reflectors left by Apollo 11, scientists around the world were able to measure the distance to the moon with an uncertainty of mere 1.1 millimeters.

Neil Armstrong said it himself:
For those few misguided souls who still cling to the belief that the Moon landings never happened, examination of the results of five decades of LRRR experiments should evidence how delusional their rejection of the Moon landing really is.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know what. In this day and age, I don't give a fuck if you believe that it's fake or the earth is flat. I'm busy dealing with bigots. I'd rather him teach kids that the moon landing was fake rather than that it's okay to beat your spouse or that folks who aren't straight white males deserve less from this world. He's dumb as fuck for believing this, but it's harmless comparatively.

I can't believe shit is bad enough off that I feel the urge to put shit like this on the back burner for now.

if everyone had standards this low, imagine how much worse things would be

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I bet if you strap these dumbshits in a rocket and send them into space, they're gonna say it's a VR-controlled environment and the windows are just showing a pre-recorded video. When they eventually land on the moon, they're gonna say the suit visor is also VR. Only way to find out if they are on the moon is to take the helmet off.

Oct 28, 2017
Is he... Playing everyone just for a free tour? That sly devil...

He's probably back tracking. He gave this response when asked by people:

This is basically what Kyrie Irving said when he started getting hammered with "are you fucking serious about the flat earth shit?" by the media. That's not backtracking, that's what an anti-vaxxer says when they get called out for being a dumb motherfucker.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is basically what Kyrie Irving said when he started getting hammered with "are you fucking serious about the flat earth shit?" by the media. That's not backtracking, that's what an anti-vaxxer says when they get called out for being a dumb motherfucker.

That's a weak response from Curry. Inquisitiveness is about asking "why" and seeking answers, not questioning history with overwhelming evidence attached to it.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017

Yikes with that response, wtf Steph

I'm sad :(

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm just asking questions" is basically the "both sides" of science.

It's fucking dumb.
Yeah. "Just asking questions" has been going on for years in science denial. Shoot, it's one of the core tenants of it, along with questioning of scientific consensus/evidence and conspiratorial thinking.

Dumbasses will ask questions not to learn the answer but specifically to criticize a well founded theory or event under the guise of "skepticism". It's not backtracking in the slightest.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
Its crazy how well these obvious ploys end up working just as well as they are intended. I bet Steph and Kyrie have a good laugh looking at people get bent out of shape.

no. kyrie is a dumbass and he pretended to be trolling after someone talked some sense into him.
Nah im pretty sure he was trolling and its still working to this day lol.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Its crazy how well these obvious ploys end up working just as well as they are intended. I bet Steph and Kyrie have a good laugh looking at people get bent out of shape.

Spouting conspiracy theories to troll people is every bit as bad (if not worse) as believing them out of ignorance.

And it's not getting bent out of shape to get understandably upset at people who pull this shit.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
Spouting conspiracy theories to troll people is every bit as bad (if not worse) as believing them out of ignorance.

And it's not getting bent out of shape to get understandably upset at people who pull this shit.
Ehh I think people do get overly worked up. Its not your job to patrol other people's beliefs. I don't see what there even is to get upset about. If you show how easily you get triggered by harmless ignorance don't be suprised if someone decides to make you dance for their amusement.

Oct 26, 2017
Ehh I think people do get overly worked up. Its not your job to patrol other people's beliefs. I don't see what there even is to get upset about. .

It's not your job to patrol other people's feelings.

No one is arguing for patrolling beliefs so let's end that straw man. This isn't a belief we are discussing here. Disinformation isn't a position and spreading / defending it has a net negative impact on society .

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh I think people do get overly worked up. Its not your job to patrol other people's beliefs. I don't see what there even is to get upset about. If you show how easily you get triggered by harmless ignorance don't be suprised if someone decides to make you dance for their amusement.
Ok
1.) It's not "harmless ignorance", as it contributes to the continuing denial of facts and science in society.
2.) It is my job to call out idiots who spout conspiracy theories. If your personal opinion contradicts all known facts and evidence and is harmful to society it's a bad opinion.
3.) Calling someone triggered is a lazy way to ignore criticism and the harm a belief can have. You believe in shit conspiracy theories without any attempt to learn you can screw off, and you do it for laughs you go in the trash heap. I ain't "triggered", it's just I'll treat people who do dumb crap like this.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
The thing that escapes conspiracy theorists...what would be the point? There's no net gain in faking shit. Also, journalists stake their careers on uncovering stuff, think if moon landings, 9/11, vaccines etc. if the dumb conspiracies were valid, you would have journalists winning Pulitzer prizes reporting on it.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
It's not your job to patrol other people's feelings.

No one is arguing for patrolling beliefs so let's end that straw man. This isn't a belief we are discussing here. Disinformation isn't a position and spreading / defending it has a net negative impact on society .
Honestly I don't care. Im just pointing out why the guy is probably laughing at you all. Take it. Leave it. Im none the better ;)

Ok
1.) It's not "harmless ignorance", as it contributes to the continuing denial of facts and science in society.
2.) It is my job to call out idiots who spout conspiracy theories. If your personal opinion contradicts all known facts and evidence and is harmful to society it's a bad opinion.
3.) Calling someone triggered is a lazy way to ignore criticism and the harm a belief can have. You believe in shit conspiracy theories without any attempt to learn you can screw off, and you do it for laughs you go in the trash heap. I ain't "triggered", it's just I'll treat people who do dumb crap like this.

This certainly reads like you are bothered.

Oct 26, 2017
Have your shit beliefs, but as soon as you put that shit out there , it becomes invasive and we have a right to rightfully shut it down. Don't want the reaction? keep it to yourself.

Oct 28, 2017
I think them wanting the reaction is the whole point but ok lol.

Its just a prank, I agree that I can't believe people are getting bent over this. So what if people think the earth is flat or the moon landing was a hoax, it won't have any impact on people's lives. Its totally harmless anyway, everyone knows these are dumb conspiracy theories. Anti-vaxxers haven't gotten anywhere with their ignorance after all, despite how hard they try.

Its hilarious to see how everyone is getting played by these geniuses even after they tell you that its just a prank.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's far from harmless. First you think that the moon landing was fake, then you think that space is fake, then you think that anything you don't understand is fake.
I've watched it happen IRL with several people I know.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Lol what?

"I'm gonna say something stupid and they're gonna think I'm stupid, watch."
"Wow that's really stupid."
"Hahah I can't believe you guys fell for that! Gotcha!"

Like, not the cleverest gags in the book.

Oct 28, 2017
Lol what?

Its basically that comic where person A yells "look how stupid I am", everyone then responds with "fuck off" then person A responds with "lmao trolled you bro". At best that's what Kyrie and Curry are doing with this and we're being really charitable here with if we think they're just "trolling"

Those two are no Andy Kaufman to put it lightly.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
Lol what?

No, its not that they are gonna simply think im stupid. Its that they are going to obsessively pile on and make a thing out of whatever I said.

I can see the appeal. Its like hey look what I can make people do. I doubt either of them actually care about your assestment of their intelligience.

Oct 26, 2017
Its just a prank, I agree that I can't believe people are getting bent over this. So what if people think the earth is flat or the moon landing was a hoax, it won't have any impact on people's lives. Its totally harmless anyway, everyone knows these are dumb conspiracy theories. Anti-vaxxers haven't gotten anywhere with their ignorance after all, despite how hard they try.

Its hilarious to see how everyone is getting played by these geniuses even after they tell you that its just a prank.

Conspiracy theorists run the government of the United States of America and we live in times were disinformation has had a profound impact on our way of life from removal of regulation that was intended to combat man's impact on climate change to absorbing power to enrich the elite.

This post couldn't be more dillusional if it tried.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
Its basically that comic where person A yells "look how stupid I am", everyone then responds with "fuck off" then person A responds with "lmao trolled you bro". At best that's what Kyrie and Curry are doing with this and we're being really charitable here with if we think they're just "trolling"

Those two are no Andy Kaufman to put it lightly.

I had my doubts about Kyrie at first but he explained why he did it and it made sense.

Steph doing almost the exact same thing in almost the exact same matter though is obvious.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

Suuuuuuure...

Oct 28, 2017
No, its not that they are gonna simply think im stupid. Its that they are going to obsessively pile on and make a thing out of whatever I said.

I can see the appeal. Its like hey look what I can make people do. I doubt either of them actually care about your assestment of their intelligience.

Dude, Curry and Kyrie can already do this and have done so time and time again. They have kids going to their stupid basketball camps and buying their merchandise in droves after announcing them on Twitter, do they really need to debase themselves to get people to talk about themselves. Next thing you're going to be telling me Kevin Durant's sockpuppet social media accounts were just a trolling exercise.

In all honesty, their responses when confronted with this is far more telling than anything else. The language they use is straight up anti-vaxxer deflection language.

I had my doubts about Kyrie at first but he explained why he did it and it made sense.

Steph doing almost the exact same thing in almost the exact same matter though is obvious.

Like I said, they're aping anti-vaxxer woke deflection language. "Just a prank bro" isn't really charitable when you throw out garbage reasoning for your actions like that.

Climate change denial amongst the top ranks isn't really delusion, more like deception and dishonesty. Most people know but don't care. You probably shouldn't take what people say at face value so much.

No, most people who deny Climate Change really don't believe in Climate Change. I refer you to the current conservative government in Australia, the majority of them don't believe in climate change or its severity. Their basis of their disbelief is rooted in religion.

Last edited:

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
Conspiracy theorists run the government of the United States of America and we live in times were disinformation has had a profound impact on our way of life from removal of regulation that was intended to combat man's impact on climate change to absorbing power to enrich the elite.

This post couldn't be more dillusional if it tried.
Climate change denial amongst the top ranks isn't really delusion, more like deception and dishonesty. Most people know but don't care. You probably shouldn't take what people say at face value so much.

Dude, Curry and Kyrie can already do this and have done so time and time again. They have kids going to their stupid basketball camps and buying their merchandise in droves after announcing them on Twitter, do they really need to debase themselves to get people to talk about themselves. Next thing you're going to be telling me Kevin Durant's sockpuppet social media accounts were just a trolling exercise.

In all honesty, their responses when confronted with this is far more telling than anything else. The language they use is straight up anti-vaxxer deflection language.

Like I said, they're aping anti-vaxxer woke deflection language. "Just a prank bro" isn't really charitable when you throw out garbage reasoning for your actions like that.
Huh? I'm not seeing the corelation to this topic and the kids. Or KD.

Also I don't know what you mean by their responses. Wouldn't they just double down if they actually believed it?

Last edited:

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

No matter what they say or do this happens already. I understand getting a kick out of seeing how far you can play with the media but that's not this. This is something legitimately stupid. Of course there's gonna be discussion around it and rightfully so.

Either way, if he was trolling, likewise Kyrie, someone on reddit made the point that if they do actually want to make a sincere statement about something serious, they're not going to be taken seriously anymore. Everything they say will be dismissed with "But isn't this the guy that thought the moon landing was fake?" by supporters and critics. How is this pathetic-ass gag worth that? I don't care who you are, that's guaranteed to frustrate.

Oct 28, 2017
Huh? I'm not seeing the corelation to this topic and the kids. Or KD.

These people already know they have such immense reach and influence. They don't need to debase themselves to prove that they can get people to talk about them.

I bring up KD because people literally made excuses for his social media burner accounts. Excuses like how he's trolling the media and public.

Also I don't know what you mean by their responses. Wouldn't they just double down if they actually believed it?

They are sort of backtracking because people (people being their agent and business partners) are telling them to shut the fuck up. Even then, putting out this statement when talking to people in a relatively private setting...
Inquisitive minds ask inquisitive questions and obviously that's one that's very polarizing in terms of where you stand on that...

...is pretty much doubling down. Instead of saying "what I said was really stupid and wrong", he's basically saying that although one opinion is very controversial, both opinions are perfectly valid. That's the same excuse people give when defending a Holocaust denier, a 9/11 truther, an anti-vaxxer, a racial eugenic supporter or just about any other shitty opinionated asshole on the planet. No, there is a world where one opinion is clearly really damn awful and shouldn't be respected no matter how controversial it is. "Just asking questions bro!", which is both Kyrie's and Curry's stance on their beliefs, is not remotely close to being intellectually curious.

If you want to be woke and promote a woke message, you can be Lonnie Walker and argue that the 4th of July is kind of a shitty holiday because its only really represents white Americans.

Last edited: