• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I always ask why isnt there more coverage of the "darkside" of Take Two and more specifically 2K's NBA2K.

Well last night in a rare moment of unity the NBA2K community had enough and come together to get #Fix2K20 to the #1 trending spot worldwide on twitter.

Among many little things that add up. This year's release has a litany of problem:

Extremely long load times, because everything is server side (even offline modes) because of the continually encroachment of VC (2K's mtx)
Game crash after almost every game.
Progression frozen.
Broken promises or outright lies from the Marketing Director Ronnie2K (who also had a top 10 trending hashtag of #fireRonnie2K), and more

image.png
image.png

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I may be wrong but I'm sure I can recall that reviewers get a bunch of VC to spend on their MyPlayer. Which may be why some give higher reviews.

However, I'm not saying the only problem 2K's have are VC related.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
People need to drop 2k for a year. Should have been this year when they uploaded that gambling trailer

I bought last year's game and I apologize

Oct 27, 2017
It breaks franchise records year after year so I don't expect nothing to change. What was the last good NB2K without all of the bs?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand why people online are trying to pin this on Ronnie2k when he's not a developer and the stuff he says is probably what they feed him.

EA needs to step up.

The best thing it could happen is for a sports game to have a strong competitor.
That's not going to happen. At most you will see EA try to compete by going f2p or something.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Okay, so no one is actually complaining about microtransactions then? That's the fundamental issue with these games for me, so 2K players "rising up" isn't really helpful in this case because all it will do is restore the environment which allows them to be taken for a ride.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I haven't noticed anything you've mentioned but I've only played about 10 games and 5 of them being online but those sessions were great with no lag whatsoever. I'm sure others have played more than I have though.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
The things 2K has done with VC is incredibly awful to the overall experience.

I don't think we're getting the heights of 2K12 and 2K15 ever again. Sad truly.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I actually wonder if the reviewers get really big VC bonuses or payout rates, so that even if they see the microtransactions they think the grind is minimal?

No, you don't. They give you the legendary edition at most, but that still doesn't hide the grind rates.

The thing that's incredibly hard to judge while reviewing the game, as I used to, is that 2K only keeps selling more copies as things got more intrusive, so even if you hate it how much should that really be a factor in your review when it's so subjective to individual personas?

How do you rate that so highly when people are still prone to grind to 99 all the same and want to have a grind to get there? It's just weird to try to factor how much others may care about it.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first 2K I haven't bought at launch in a long time and it's maybe been one of the best video game decisions I've made in a long time. I am glad to hear that a mass amount of people are finally speaking out about the game though, because it should had been done YEARS AGO

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happens every year and the sheep keep buying it.

Ronnie using his marketing speak yet again with 'motion and foot planting' and yet playing the demo you see this is yet another year of lies with players sliding a over the place, canned animations and lack of control.

2K are a joke.

Jun 1, 2018
i dont understand how this good so good reviews...shows that the reviewers have no idea about basketball in my opinion if they didnt point out the bugs

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
I personally think the gameplay is great this year, but everything else is an absolute mess. I play mycareer and at times I'll randomly get booted out of training camps due to "a problem with my connection" lol okay

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I'm still not sure how this series continues to review this well. Once it was actually fantastic, now it's barely held together around a core of undisguised gambling.

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I aint buy it this year.

What did Ronnie lie about?
He apparently went on record to say that the neighborhood in 2k20 was not at all gonna be the same one from 2k19. Turns out it is the same except 2k20 has a ramen shop that's inaccessible.

2k servers are absolute fucking garbage. They seriously don't care. The day the demo dropped for 2k20, my myplayer in 2k19 lost my face scan and my name surely because people were hammering the servers with new face scans and all that from the demo. It's so dumb

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that 2K is one-upping on EA hard when it comes to sports games says just how fucking awful that company and this game really is. Holy shit...

Oct 26, 2017
The twist: people are protesting because the long load times and crashes means they can't spin the wheel of fortune as many times and they would like.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Wait, so what happens, say, on the switch version if you don't pay for Nintendo online or if you happen to be portable with no connection?

The other thing I'll say is that if you're not new to the series I don't see how you can be surprised at the microtransactions so I can understand reviewers keeping the high scores for the base gameplay. But they should at least tell you about the grind in myplayer and other modes.

Are the long load times because of server load? Because I can also see that not being a problem when there's only a handful of reviewers on the servers.

KingKunta

Nov 10, 2018
Boy boy. I'm with them cause these ugly load times and random errors all killing my vibe. Like, can't even enjoy MyCareer mode like I want to.

And I swear they said you could change your takeover during your career. I feel lied to on that. Sucks so much ass. So hopefully they fix these things up soon.

Also the gameplay seems a bit better this year. So no real complaint over that.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The series went to shit since years and yet it gets good reviews and good sales. Instead of starting a hashtag maybe don't buy it next time. I stopped after 2k18.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He apparently went on record to say that the neighborhood in 2k20 was not at all gonna be the same one from 2k19. Turns out it is the same except 2k20 has a ramen shop that's inaccessible.

2k servers are absolute fucking garbage. They seriously don't care. The day the demo dropped for 2k20, my myplayer in 2k19 lost my face scan and my name surely because people were hammering the servers with new face scans and all that from the demo. It's so dumb
Thats funny. In recent years he just been coming off as some PR dude so I'm surprised he would say something like that.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, so what happens, say, on the switch version if you don't pay for Nintendo online or if you happen to be portable with no connection?

The other thing I'll say is that if you're not new to the series I don't see how you can be surprised at the microtransactions so I can understand reviewers keeping the high scores for the base gameplay. But they should at least tell you about the grind in myplayer and other modes.

Are the long load times because of server load? Because I can also see that not being a problem when there's only a handful of reviewers on the servers.

If you're nto connected, you barely have access to anything. The offline modes are barebones.

And Ronnie is just a mouthpiece that spouts nothing but shit. Has been for years.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I only bought it at launch because of the Wade edition. It's definitely been frustrating, to say the least. This morning, though, it actually seems like it's improved a bit on loading times (PC).

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile reviewers are giving it 8s and 9s
The thing is, they always make a really good basketball game with a lot of options... It's only after the fact that you notice the crappy servers, mismanagement, general lack of transparency and miscommunication with the players.

Game is so good though that even with all that, i'm still happy with my purchase.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
This is the real scandal. Have some goddamn backbone.

2K18 had reviewers at The Sixth Axis giving it a 3/10 then 2K pressured them to change the score. So I imagine the problem is not that reviewers don't have backbones, they just don't want 2K threatening their jobs through removing review copies.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
2K18 had reviewers at The Sixth Axis giving it a 3/10 then 2K pressured them to change the score. So I imagine the problem is not that reviewers don't have backbones, they just don't want 2K threatening their jobs through removing review copies.

That seems like another issue entirely. What's the point of reviews if this happens? Ridiculous.

edited to add: ok, I found the review, at least they didn't back down:

explanation:

Seems like they removed the part about the review score being a protest vote, which is fair.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Justified

Justified

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
What's crazy is the gameplay is really good this year, but as a whole the game is terribly unoptimized. I wonder if it's because they are mainly focusing on 2K21 for Next Gen because 2K20 is 85% copy/paste 2K19

This is the real scandal. Have some goddamn backbone.

Think about all the other games under Take Two's umbrella. They want to stay in their good graces for those game unfortunately

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, if I'm only playing single player season/manager mode, how much do mtx affect me?
I assume I'm in the minority, though.

OP
OP
Justified

Justified

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Guys, if I'm only playing single player season/manager mode, how much do mtx affect me?
I assume I'm in the minority, though.
MTX not so much, but it has its own issue. I don't play those modes but I seen MyGM players have complaints about not be able to edit quarter length and a few other things

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
From most of the promotional material for this game, it seems like a bunch of the developers working on it would rather be developing absolutely anything else than a basketball game.

It looks more like a typical GAAS game with a basketball facade.

The 2k games have been going down the shitter since the focus on VC.
People can only handle the cynical money grabbing and cheesy ass cutscenes for so long, seems now's finally the limit.

Oct 27, 2017
I only play the mycareer mode and the leveling up seems pretty fair, havent felt the need to buy any vc coins. My biggest current problem (and the reason why i havent played it too much) is the damn loading/saving times. On Saturday over the weekend, any time i wanted to upgrade my players attritbutes, it would take like 2 minutes to load into that screen, once i had everything selected and confirmed, it took over 5 minutes to communicate with the servers and save. Same thing with upgrading my players badges, it was a seperate screen that took just as long. So in order to upgrade my players attributes i was wasting a good 10+ minutes each time. No bueno.