• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
This is perhaps the first next gen loading test we could see, thus I thought it would be interesting. Just keep in mind future games may very in length and discrepancy!

Xbox

PS

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a weird question but I want to see 2k21 PS4 loading times installed on ps5 ssd. I wonder how close it can get to ps5 load times

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I had crossed that game off my list due to MTX, but if the covid restrictions are removed and I can host a poker night with the boys I'm buying it, it'll be a great game for the guys that bust out early.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yes, we had a thread when that video came up:
www.resetera.com

NBA 2K21: Next-Gen Gameplay + Developer Commentary

PS5 footage. It shows off the loading times as they go into a game. It takes two seconds to load it.
Yes, but this it the first time we've seen Xbox footage and the first time we can actually compare a cross gen/next gen game.
2 seconds loading ,10 seconds ad incoming
I literally laughed and then thought .. "ohh Uhm", because that can happen and is sad.

Retrocide

Oct 28, 2017
QOL improvements are exactly why I'm upgrading, the load times on current Gen consoles were getting to be extreme.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Wasn't that closer to 3 seconds? Absolutely disgusting.
I can already see some outlet doing a positive and negative list a few years down the line. Perhaps after upgraded console are out.

+ Good gameplay
+ ...
+ ...
- awful 2-3 seconds load times on base consoles

:D

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like both are pretty comparable to each other? About as fast as you could realistically want really.

I wonder how much data is actually being streamed in too. Perhaps it's not a massive amount, hence both are doing it in similar time. Either way, this example shows that the PS5's ultra fast SSD and I/O aren't really making any sort of noteworthy difference in this particular multi-platform title.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Loading times are probably the most transformative thing about this gen so far. Really excited to just be able to play.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like both are pretty comparable to each other? About as fast as you could realistically want really.

I wonder how much data is actually being streamed in too. Perhaps it's not a massive amount, hence both are doing it in similar time.
I don't expect huge differences at all in terms of total load time. Even with the slower SSD on Xbox RAM can be filled in like 6 seconds if you fill everything with data.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Wonder why the superior PS5 ssd is not showing any advantage over the XSX here
I don't personally think we'll see a large difference between the the entire gen, 2.whatever the hell the Xbox is right now is more then fast enough to remove any bottlenecks we ran into previously. While more is definitely better I don't think it'll matter this gen in terms of load times, I think where it will matter is in dev techniques to make less pop in and have further more detailed draw distances.

But I think load time is effectively already as fast as it can get even on Xbox.

Same way we don't see a difference between 4k native and 4k DLSS, there's just more benefits using the power or speed in other ways.

What's the real difference of 2 sec vs 4

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's multiplatform is my guess. Wouldn't they have to specifically build around the PS5's SSD in mind?

For simple upfront loading, not really I don't think, as long as they're using the right APIs and the right data formats for each.

There's a load of possibilities, but here's two:

1) This game's load process is I/O bound on both systems, and each I/O system does in fact work out about as fast here (i.e. the PS5 I/O subsystem is not actually faster, at least with the pattern of data load here)

or

2) This game's load process is no longer I/O bound on either system, and other processes are taking over and defining the time it takes to get you into the game (i.e. the PS5 I/O subsystem may be faster, but is overkill for this game's load - like plugging a new faster GPU into your PC for a CPU bound game, and not getting any framerate increase)

We're so used to data loading being the bound on a game's load time, and it has been given what we had before (mechanical HDDs). And I think that's led to the common assumption that this would remain true into next gen, and thus a faster SSD will naturally always give you a faster load. But for some games, the data load part of the process might be so fast on both that it's overtaken by other concerns in the setup of a game.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Wonder why the superior PS5 ssd is not showing any advantage over the XSX here

It's possible that the loads just can't be any faster than the spinning logo animation. Don't know how "dynamic" that animation is, but for a multiplatform game, I can imagine the devs just wanting to make one animation for both.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
I think you know. It's like saying wonder why the more powerful XSX isn't showing any advantage over the PS5 here.
At the end of the day you're reading data from mass storage to memory buffers, I don't think much optimization or engineering from the developers is needed for such a basic task. Is not like programming for advanced GPU features. If I had to guess I'd say that even at 2.4GB/s the SSD bandwidth is not the bottleneck of the game loading process

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
We're so used to data loading being the bound on a game's load time, and it has been given what we had before (mechanical HDDs). And I think that's led to the common assumption that this would remain true into next gen, and thus a faster SSD will naturally always give you a faster load. But for some games, the data load part of the process might be so fast on both that it's overtaken by other concerns in the setup of a game
I think your post is great and I agree with you that we are to used to storage being the bottleneck. Bungie already warned us so to speak, when saying (sort off) in their next gen version blog networking could lead to loadtimes not being as fast as they should be. Networking is obviously not the issue here, because both are loading into offline matches. But there are definitely other possibilities.
It's multiplatform is my guess. Wouldn't they have to specifically build around the PS5's SSD in mind?
You need to build around both consoles I/O.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I know that most people look to graphics for next gen, but fast loading and swapping between multiple running games near-instantly is far more compelling for me than better graphics. I own a PS4 Pro and Xbox One S, but hardly played them outside of the PS4 exclusives due to how painfully slow loading is. Loading speeds that even beat my PC's PCIe 4.0 SSD are going to make playing games on console my first choice going forward (at least until Microsoft's DirectStorage solution rolls out).

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Wait, when did they start making WNBA teams available in 2K?
This year.

That said, when is the game started, when we see the jumbotron? Maybe it's me but the video cuts off there.

And my favorite part of the whole thing is seeing them warm up and practice, high quality several dozen players on the court all doing their thing is a pretty amazing sight.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Impressive. I used to play 2k yearly on Dreamcast, but bailed after the launch one for PS4 was a gross micro-transaction-fest. I've heard that's just been getting worse and worse.

Would jump back in on this but that's keeping me away.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
But where will they put their community social managers now??

Wonder if this version will make it to Game Pass in a few months. The last two did, but this one maybe won't. We'll seeee

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
This is the kind of shit that makes me roll my eyes when these reviewers are like "I don't think there's enough next-gen games at this point. Most people should wait."

Like, how do you look at this and think you'd rather just chill with the last-gen experience for a year until a lot more next-gen exclusives hit next fall? Even without a ton of true next-gen exclusives, the QOL is just so much better with these consoles. Why wouldn't you at least take the plunge for that aspect while you wait for the libraries to fill out?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the kind of shit that makes me roll my eyes when these reviewers are like "I don't think there's enough next-gen games at this point. Most people should wait."

Like, how do you look at this and think you'd rather just chill with the last-gen experience for a year until a lot more next-gen exclusives hit next fall? Even without a ton of true next-gen exclusives, the QOL is just so much better with these consoles. Why wouldn't you at least take the plunge for that aspect while you wait for the libraries to fill out?
I guess once you experienced next gen qol improvements you can't go back, everything feels so sluggish already on current gen. I'm glad tomorrow next gen starts!

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Well said and I don't understand the journalist either. The loadtimes are a game changer on its own and I think many journalist forget how cross gen games run on old consoles in the past gens. It's a achievement if cross gen games run at 30FPS on Xbox One and PS4, but don't expect them to.

Cyberpunk apparently got delayed due to performance on, for today still, current gen consoles and AC:V in a video I've seen dipped to 20 FPS on Xbox One and even One X dipped, albeit not as much. It's time to move on, if someone has the money imo.