• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
The Trump administration is expected to issue a proposal in coming weeks that would make it harder for legal immigrants to become citizens or get green cards if they have ever used a range of popular public welfare programs, including Obamacare, four sources with knowledge of the plan told NBC News.

The move, which would not need congressional approval, is part of White House senior adviser Stephen Miller's plan to limit the number of migrants who obtain legal status in the U.S. each year.

Details of the rulemaking proposal are still being finalized, but based on a recent draft seen last week and described to NBC News, immigrants living legally in the U.S. who have ever used or whose household members have ever used Obamacare, children's health insurance, food stamps and other benefits could be hindered from obtaining legal status in the U.S.

Immigration lawyers and advocates and public health researchers say it would be the biggest change to the legal immigration system in decades and estimate that more than 20 million immigrants could be affected. They say it would fall particularly hard on immigrants working jobs that don't pay enough to support their families.

Though its effects could be far-reaching, the proposal to limit citizenship to immigrants who have not used public assistance does not appear to need congressional approval. As the Clinton administration did in 1999, the Trump administration would be redefining the term "public charge," which first emerged in immigration law in the 1800s in order to shield the U.S. from burdening too many immigrants who could not contribute to society.

Read the rest here

Fuck Stephen Miller. Fuck these Nazi scum. Fuck everyone who demonizes public assistance. Fuck everyone who wants a whites-only America. Fuck Trump.

Oct 25, 2017
but conservatives told me that they only disliked ILLEGAL immigrants and that this was all about ethics in law and order? who could have possibly seen it coming that they would continually expand that category to encompass more and more immigrants?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, this is the same party that did, in fact, suggest poverty be a crime and thus reason for deportation when it came time to DACA talk.

This is just another layer of cruelty.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
but conservatives told me that they only disliked ILLEGAL immigrants and that this was all about ethics in law and order? who could have possibly seen it coming that they would continually expand that category to encompass more and more immigrants?

I think conservatives always just slurred right over the "illegal" part.

Oct 25, 2017
I think conservatives always just slurred right over the "illegal" part.

i've been hearing a lot of "first they came for..." rhetoric surrounding alex jones being deplatformed or charlie kirk getting splashed with water, but i think i have a more relevant take:

"first they came for the illegal immigrants, and i did not speak out because i was not illegal"

"then they came for the legal immigrants, and i did not speak out because i was not an immigrant"

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
This has always been about reversing the trend toward majority-minority. We assumed it was inevitable, back when we didn't think we'd elect a fascist, but now? Naturalized citizens will be next, then birthright citizens.

Fridge Freezer

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2018
I try to bring a European perspective so I am first of all quite shocked you can even use these programs as a non-citizen. It doesn't strike me as mad to bring this in. An immigration system should be fairly selfish and I'm not sure what the point or value of making someone a citizen whose not self sufficient.

America's migration system seems to be built on some really questionable legal structures though. How the hell are there 20M legal migrants who are not currently eligible for citizenship? How are people left in limbo for seemingly such a long time?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
An immigration system should be fairly selfish and I'm not sure what the point or value of making someone a citizen whose not self sufficient.
It's also possible that legal immigrants are being pushed below the poverty line due to increasing costs of living and stagnant wages. Instead of being, you know, a low-value human like you're suggesting.

Oct 25, 2017
we keep telling conservatives that behaving like this will only make them look bad before the judgement of the moderate darling silent majority, yet ~for some reason~ they aren't listening

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
People more knowledgeable about the process, how would this effect a family in the process of trying to bring over a child through immigration? And how does it affect a child recently brought over legally under 18?

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Why is he trying to deport people for paying their part for healthcare?

Oh wait he never cared about earnest immigrants, he's a dumbfuck.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
As a green card holder who has paid into AND received unemployment benefits, and might consider citizenship....

well fuck

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
no shit, it was never about illegal vs legal

to all the legal immigrants who voted for him to keep the illegals out

4a4.gif

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So how long until they just accept they are full nazis and start their concentration camps?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Exactly where anyone without a shred of naivete knew this was going. The demographics are changing around them and this is probably their last shot to try and reverse the inevitability of it. This is nakedly about getting rid of as many non-white people as they can. They already throwing kids in cages with glee, this ain't but a stones throw away to this new fuckery

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's kind of mind blowing that after this is all said and done, people Miller will be able to just melt back into society, no questions aksed.

Status
Not open for further replies.