• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I mean is it really naive to think that the GOP wouldn't use a 9/11 ceremony to sneak through some underhanded BS? There are one or two lines they likely won't cross, but this in hindsight obviously isn't one of them.

Fuck them 9/11 victims and the people of North Carolina right Yall-Qaedists?

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Everyone knows they're the most evil state party. They've been it for years. It's the job of the Dems in office to not let this shit happen. None of them should have went to the 9/11 ceremony. Don't let them win.
Well in this case, all of them going would have been better. Not sure why those 9 stayed behind.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean is it really naive to think that the GOP wouldn't use a 9/11 ceremony to sneak through some underhanded BS? There are one or two lines they likely won't cross, but this obviously isn't one of them.

Fuck them 9/11 victims and the people of North Carolina right Yall-Qaedists?
Given how they handled the 9/11 hearing with Jon Stewart, yes, it's absolutely a line they'd cross because they've already crossed it before, multiple times.

Edit: I misread your post but I'm going to leave up my words anyway

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I feel like you guys are being purposely obtuse. The anger at Republicans goes without saying. You can still chide Democrats for YET AGAIN playing as Charlie Brown with the football.

Ultimately people are RELYING ON Democrats to be smarter than this. For some reason Dems have a hard time recognizing that it's dumb to play by the rules when the other side refuses to. But time and time again the Dems play chess and when they say check or checkmate, Republicans just flip the board.

So yes, Republicans are at fault for this. Everyone knows that. But just like we can be angry with Democrats for not pursuing impeachment despite Trump and the GOP committing the actual crimes, we can be angry with a Democratic party that repeatedly falls for this kind of shit.

Moore said he took exception to the attacks made by Cooper and other Democrats Wednesday morning following the vote.

"It was properly noticed," Moore said. "It's a great day for North Carolina."

Moore said it is his job as house speaker to see the budget that was passed by majority become law.

"All they had to do was show up to work," Moore said in regards to Democrats.

These are the people Dems are working with, and they actually BELIEVE THEM when they make promises!

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Civility, Decorum, Reason, They go low, etc. The Democrats should've learned by now that the GOP are inherently bad faith actors.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Consider me unconvinced. There are a few people in this thread who would blame the Dems for just about any vile shit the GOP does instead of focusing the blame where it belongs.

I want to see what NC's political and apolitical spheres plan to do about this Republican Party.

Personally, I'd do whatever I could to oust them. Extrajudicially.

OP
OP
Sho_Nuff82

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
No it isn't. A veto override requires 3/5 in North Carolina to be effective; a simple majority would simply pass the bill again, but Governor Cooper could still veto it.

The GOP is currently one seat short of a 3/5 majority in the state senate.

So no bathroom breaks on the Dem side at the next Senate session, gotcha.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For the first and what will probably not be the last time, you cannot hold anyone accountable by clutching your moral pearls. You need to control the law and Dem politicians seem to really struggle with this idea and think they can hold people accountable by blasting them in the NYT.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
The representative that voraciously talked down the Speaker, Deb Butler, told him that the people of NC would make him pay. Do you know what his response was? "Not today."

These people don't give a fuck about norms, mutal respect, democracy, or the rule of law (unless they write it).

Last edited:

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
They even sent out emails confirming that there'd be no votes in the morning session.
Consider what little trust one could possibly muster in the NCGOP completely void.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
No shame. Democracy is a game to them, and they'll cheat every chance they get because they serve their party first, not their constituents, not their state, not their country. They'll look you in the eyes and tell you "2+2=5" and call you a tool of partisan obstruction if you dare disagree.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
One day we'll stop thinking of the GOP as anything but filthy liars, even if conservative constituents hypocritically complain about Dems being oppressive by not playing ball.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Everyone knows they're the most evil state party. They've been it for years. It's the job of the Dems in office to not let this shit happen. None of them should have went to the 9/11 ceremony. Don't let them win.

You have it wrong, ALL of them should have went to the 9/11 ceremony. They couldnt hold a vote without some democrats showing up.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Again: Yes, the GOP is evil. So why can't elected Dems understand this? It is absolutely fine to be mad at a party that seemingly refuses to accept this reality, especially because Republicans keep getting away with it, never get punished in any real way, and as a result the public pays the price despite doing the only thing they can do (vote).

Republicans: "OK, we're gonna hold the football, and you kick it."
Democrats: "Sounds good."
Voters: "Don't! They're gonna pull the football away again."
Democrats: "They would never do that."
Voters: "They've done it EVERY TIME!"
Republicans: "We won't do it this time though, promise."
Democrats: "See? They promised."
Voters: "So what happens when they pull the football again?"
Democrats: "They can't, it's against the rules."

Then the Republicans pull the football away and Democrats end up on their asses and are somehow SHOCKED... and then go back for another go around!

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what is so ridiculous to ask for my political party to wield the levers of power effectively and not fall into traps one can see a million miles ahead.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
That's a "dirty trick" as it were, but guess what, that's what power is about. It's the fault of the Democrats who let it happen. Shame on them for not anticipating that the Republicans would do what they always do.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Again: Yes, the GOP is evil. So why can't elected Dems understand this? It is absolutely fine to be mad at a party that seemingly refuses to accept this reality, especially because Republicans keep getting away with it, never get punished in any real way, and as a result the public pays the price despite doing the only thing they can do (vote).

Republicans: "OK, we're gonna hold the football, and you kick it."
Democrats: "Sounds good."
Voters: "Don't! They're gonna pull the football away again."
Democrats: "They would never do that."
Voters: "They've done it EVERY TIME!"
Republicans: "We won't do it this time though, promise."
Democrats: "See? They promised."
Voters: "So what happens when they pull the football again?"
Democrats: "They can't, it's against the rules."

Then the Republicans pull the football away and Democrats end up on their asses and are somehow SHOCKED... and then go back for another go around!
And they never learn from the past. Every decision is made within a vacuum so we can't take into account the GOPs duplicitous behavior.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
NC GOP is awful and is actively trying to destroy any progress made in the state.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
How is this even legal? Guess the GOP is past pretending they care about democracy?

And what's going on in NC? This seems huge, like there could potentially be rioting. Unreal.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I feel like the goalpost is moving from "elect democrats to stop the republicans" to just "make angry comments only about republicans to stop the republicans".

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every NC GOPer who participated in this should be jailed immediately.

This isn't how things work. The GOP did nothing illegal.

Everything they did is laid out in the state constitution.

Hold a legislative session
"Majority of members PRESENT." Check

Override a veto
"three-fifths of the members of that house PRESENT and voting" Check

Captain_Cold

Oct 30, 2017
Seems the real idiots here are the 9 dems that did show up, allowing the required amount of members for a quorum. When they hold a majority, if most of the members are out then all of the members should be out.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't how things work. The GOP did nothing illegal.

Everything they did is laid out in the state constitution.

Hold a legislative session
"Majority of members PRESENT." Check

Override a veto
"three-fifths of the members of that house PRESENT and voting" Check
It was in writing that there would be no vote at that time.