• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
https://theathletic.com/223555/2018...ichigan-state-sexual-assault-reports-in-2010/

NCAA president Mark Emmert was specifically alerted in November 2010 — six months after he was hired as the organization's president — to 37 reports involving Michigan State athletes sexually assaulting women.

In the letter, which was sent after Redmond and Emmert met in person in Indianapolis to discuss the topic, she specifically highlighted concerns about Michigan State. Emmert was unavailable for comment to The Athletic on Friday afternoon.

Here is the fourth paragraph of Redmond's letter, which is dated November 17, 2010:

For example, despite recent reports of sexual violence involving two Michigan State University (MSU) basketball players, one of which admitted to raping the victim, neither man was charged criminally or even disciplined by the school. An earlier report of similar violence involving two other MSU basketball players also went un-redressed. In the past two years alone, 37 reports of sexual assault by MSU athletes have been reported, but not one disciplinary sanction was imposed by school officials against any of the men involved.

Death penalty me if old

Keyboard

Nearly 8 years later the truth comes out.

What a piece of shit.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
NCAA will not do anything to a brand like MSU. They wouldn't even touch a newcomer in Baylor. Too much money in the power conferences and they will not challenge that. They'd nuke Western Michigan if they had the chance, though.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait for him to hand down penalties to Louisville for stripper parties.

Maybe this will be the thing that ends the NCAA? If they won't act on something like this, what is the point of them at all?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they get jail time, and every single cabinet member and person with any power gets replaced. Burn it down.

Oct 25, 2017
He looks like a mashup of Newt Gingrich and David Duke

660919310.jpg.0.jpg

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is seriously upsetting.

As a Penn State alumni, I still feel ashamed of the actions of the leaders of the university for the actions (and inactions) that lead to assaults and rapes occurring to protect people just because they were involved in a supporting role for the school sports team.

Sports isn't worth all of the shit baggage that comes with it if officials will constantly cover things up and sweep crimes under the rug for the sake of money.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Kid straight up confessed to rape and didn't even get a suspension? No "time to spend with his family" excuse? Jesus.

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
I've always held this idea that if recruiting violations, payouts, backroom sneaker deals, etc., and most unfortunately, sexual assault, are happening at one major institution then it must be happening everywhere. I don't know if that's truly the case, but if making an example of Michigan State helps curb the sexual assault that seems to be rampant in every aspect of our world, then I'm for it. This cannot go unpunished.

And the NCAA is clearly not without fault, either.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Now that this is out, he probably will actually support handing out a real punishment to MSU in order to avoid himself getting trampled in this continuous, and decades long disaster they call the NCAA.

There's no longer any reason to try and play it safe anymore, and the only way to save face, and stay president is really to make a statement (whether he believes it or not) to the public that it's time for change.

It's really the only plausible way I can see for Emmert to stay in that position, and for someone like Emmert, he's going to do everything he can to keep that title.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bringing down the NCAA is one of the few times I would actively condone internet mob justice.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I mean, come on. In the other thread people are like, "The executive level of these orgs probably didn't know". Nah buddy. You've got hundreds of victims: there were sure to be some complaints that bubble up to their level.

Thing is that when it reaches their desk about some athlete they didn't recognize its just an easy *click and delete* while they fool themselves into thinking the accusations are false and its a problem for whatever other orgs are involved.

They all need to go go go. Its astonishing to me these companies making billions off youth as their 'product' dropped a ball on such basic shit like, "Hey, maybe we should have controls in place to make sure the kids arent getting raped", lol. Its not a mistake you can explain away and who knows what other less traumatizing but still fucked up shit they dropped the ball on but hasnt been exposed yet. Fuck em all.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
There has been no news that has made me think this is not an institutional problem at MSU.

Everything makes the school look less and less safe.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
We've sacrificed our children (quite literally too. See Penn State as well) for the religion of sports fandom.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I remember how sad I was after sandy hook but thinking, this will help change the way we look at gun control.... although totally different situations, I still have a feeling that this will not bring about the change that needs to follow.

The fact that Tom Izzo can coach another practice is disgraceful

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Man, at this point, just ban university athletic departments from making telly deals and be done with it.

NCAA would rather come down hard on players *GASP* getting paid like they should and buying their mum's homes than actually doing something about sexual assault.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
They knew of this BEFORE and AFTER the Penn State indictment. Let that sink in.

Last edited:

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Man, at this point, just ban university athletic departments from making telly deals and be done with it.

NCAA would rather come down hard on players *GASP* getting paid like they should and buying their mum's homes than actually doing something about sexual assault.

TBF those television deals help fund the nonrev sports. Swimming isn't sustainable without other sources of income.

NCAA should be burned down regardless.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more that comes out the more that anything short of a school-wide death penalty looks completely wrong.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
The more that comes out the more that anything short of a school-wide death penalty looks completely wrong.
Penn State allowed a known child rapist to continue to run a non-profit organization serving poor and orphaned children.

They allowed a serial child rapist to have a key to the entire campus, hold an office, and bring children on road trips to Penn State games.

Penn State was punished and then their penalties were slowly rescinded due to pressures by the state government.

The first step to fixing this problem is to hold politicians accountable for shielding these institutions from inquiry.

Sports are protected in a similar manner to religion. They are institutions in almost every community in the Untied States.

Football players get the benefit of the doubt or free passes from law enforcement with probably every school program and even the professional leagues.

NFL teams hire their own security teams to vet players. They also have connections with local governments and the police force. The DA gets passes to stand on the sidelines at Eagles games. I'm sure he's prosecuting NFL players to the fullest extent of the law.

When things rise to sexual crimes. Systemic cover-ups of sexual offenses it is beyond ripping up a traffic ticket or a player getting caught with weed. It's criminally corrupt.

The Death Penalty is the least that should happen to MSU. People should go to prison.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
There has been no news that has made me think this is not an institutional problem at MSU.

Everything makes the school look less and less safe.

While I agree, there are surely many more schools doing exactly this.

When you delude yourself into thinking you're running an amateur sporting organization and not a billion dollar cartel on the back of unpaid labor, you probably make a lot of terrible rationalizations.

We're only learning of how Emmert ignored all this because Nassar went to jail. Routinely ignoring sexual assault claims seems to be standard procedure at MSU and it probably is pretty much everywhere else. MSU is just taking heat because they had the crown prince of child molestation working for them AND he finally got caught. The monsters are probably everywhere.

I'd hope that even though Penn State didn't happen all that long ago, attitudes have changed drastically since then. MSU needs the death penalty and Emmert needs to resign.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mark Emmert addresses NCAA board of governors on '10 advocacy letter

NCAA president Mark Emmert says 37 reported sexual assault cases involving Michigan State athletes referenced in a letter sent by an advocacy group in 2010 were "widely reported" and already being investigated by law enforcement and the school.

Emmert made the comments in an email sent Saturday to the NCAA board of governors and other university presidents. Spokeswoman Stacey Osborn provided Emmert's email to The Associated Press in response to a request for comment about a report by The Athletic, citing a letter sent by the National Coalition Against Violent Athletes to NCAA leaders in 2010.

More at the link
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ert-sends-email-michigan-state-spartans-board