• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mind is being blown repeatedly by this game.

I never usually know if a game is going to be big or not but Dreams feels like it's going to be huge.

Last edited:

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Question: Will I be able to access the content of other creators without PS+ or no?

Or do we just not know yet?

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

DyBgvcaWwAIexia.jpg

DyBgvcnX0AUbcCl.jpg

DyBgvcbXgAAfwlx.jpg

DyBgyzBXgAEKBz9.jpg
DyBg1TEWoAA8Upd.jpg

DyBg1TIWwAMXSUp.jpg

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
A problem I have with these types of creative games is that... if you're going to put the time and effort into learning to create something... why not learn a platform where you can make it an actual indie and monetize it? Or learn blender or something?

Is it a lot easier?
It seems a hell of a lot easier to make any multidisciplinary thing in Dreams than it would be outside of it. Even with proper knowledge it takes a considerable amount of time to model, texture, rig and animate a character, for example. Someone equally skilled at using Dreams could make a comparable thing way more quickly.

That said, I do get where you're coming from. I'm excited for Dreams, but for me it's not going to replace learning the tools I want to use professionally. For prototyping it seems ridiculously ace, though.

Lidas

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a few images of the things I have created for the community jams, from oldest to newest. They are all non-interactive animations except for some light camera interaction in the last two. Even though they aren't games I have placed far better than I could imagined in the jams, with the island themed one placing in split first place. I absolutely love this beta and can't wait for the full release!

2QCKqfO.jpg

TSOOsLt.jpg

42rGNh8.jpg

iZFgavC.png

oIZhupY.png

FA5zIpl.png

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Here's a few images of the things I have created for the community jams, from oldest to newest. They are all non-interactive animations except for some light camera interaction in the last two. Even though they aren't games I have placed far better than I could imagined in the jams, with the island themed one placing in split first place. I absolutely love this beta and can't wait for the full release!

2QCKqfO.jpg

TSOOsLt.jpg

42rGNh8.jpg

iZFgavC.png

oIZhupY.png

FA5zIpl.png
Amazing stuff

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
LLama quest is still my dream of the year :)

I quickly tried to look at P.T. is this some horror game? I gave me very bad feelings at the start so I exited...

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I never watch Twitch gaming streams but Twitch and Dreams seems to be a perfect combination.

Will be interesting to study some experienced and talented users while they doing their creations.

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How long can a game be? Like for Dead Space is it just a portion or can you actually recreate the entire fuckin thing

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
How long can a game be? Like for Dead Space is it just a portion or can you actually recreate the entire fuckin thing
you can make a scene as big as the thermo can hold. you can also link levels together to section things off. you could technically recreate it.

Should have lifted the NDA in beginning of January.
this is a good time. there's loads of stuff now compared to early 2019/late december.
and they may have expected some game breaking bugs early on that probably shouldn't be good outlook because this is the first beta in a while they put out that wasn't using a special build like the events theyve been going to.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A problem I have with these types of creative games is that... if you're going to put the time and effort into learning to create something... why not learn a platform where you can make it an actual indie and monetize it? Or learn blender or something?

Is it a lot easier?

Because yes, this is a lot 'easier'.. you can share your creations with others within seconds, without them even needing to download anything.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018

Is it a lot easier?
probs because if you wanna create, then you're not in it for the money. besides, monetisation will introduce a logistics nightmare especially for a first game.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
This game looks so much better than I ever imagined, but wow is it going to be a Copyright nightmare for Sony.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
This stuff is absolutely insane. Thought I had seen the limits of Dreams with the already released content from MM but this is all on a new level.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Are you going to be able to sell your creations? Some of this shit is intense production.

I think the beaury of it is this sharing with the community aspect that you won't get if money is involved. I hope paying for Dreams doesn't become a thing, a donation/subscription system would be preferable if it's not a requirement.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Could they go "Roblox" with this? like provide the platform, and a way to include cosmetic transactions, which a portion goes to the 'creator' when used in their game?

(Roblox games are getting nuts too - my son was flying around in a helicopter in some GTA style game the other day, I was pretty impressed)

This game looks so much better than I ever imagined, but wow is it going to be a Copyright nightmare for Sony.

Im gonna make a barrage of games where you just make people do fortnite dances too..copyright inception!

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think the beaury of it is this sharing with the community aspect that you won't get if money is involved. I hope paying for Dreams doesn't become a thing, a donation/subscription system would be preferable if it's not a requirement.
Agree, I hope donations become a thing though

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
My impressions from the beta:

Going into the creator mode you start off with a controls nightmare. The DS actually controls depth by tilting the controller back and forth which is really weird at first. I spent my first hour switching between move and DS controls, found neither to be comfortable. The Move controls try to control depth, but it's hard to tell where it is on a flat screen. There's this struggle going on when trying to place an item exactly where you want in the exact orientation you want it. After going through the tutorials it made things a lot easier, however it was somewhat time consuming. Prepare for a massive learning curve, and don't expect to have something up and running for quite awhile - and you pretty much have to go through the tutorials.

The creator mode really needs VR incorporated to make the controls easier. I've played with a lot of VR paint tools like tilt-brush, and I really want to see similar here. The handling of depth and position in 3D space is just plain harder than it should be without Depth perception and putting yourself into level. The sculpt/paint/and positioning levels would be a lot easier to do.

The controls combined with the time it takes to get up and going to having 'fun' is why the game needed to be delayed - It's currently not casual friendly and I would suspect we'd see extremely mixed reviews rather than the universal praise LBP had. They need to make it so you can get something fun up and running quicker.

The play mode is kind of cool, but hard to see people enjoying it for long periods of time - it's fun to jump in and out instantly of crazy things people made. The content is rapidly getting better so this probably will change by launch - It's amazing to see what people come up with, but no doubt it's not easy to do that, and not fast. I think the hype might leave a lot of people disappointed, because there is a real time commitment, it is still game dev, just simplified some - It's not "I can hit a few buttons and have my own game up and going in an hour".

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I've been pretty sceptical of this for a while but holy shit. Me and my daughter used to play rando levels in lbp for hours...she is gonna explode when she sees this!