• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
n6Zs1Gx.jpg

Demon's Penance

I don't know the creator

just stole it from the dreams subreddit

but this is blowing my mind
WTF

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
i do actually wanna comment on this bit:

while making music, which was basically all i wanted to do in Dreams, i somewhat ran up against exactly what youre talking about.

i had the desire to make music for other peoples games and nothing else because i know how to make songs and have ideas for a few songs that id like to make. thats in my wheelhouse. i was able to get familiar with the ingame music making tools very quickly

in the middle of making a song during this demo, i started to wonder why i was doing that. as in, why am i making this for this platform? how do you even get it heard in the first place? i can make it on my computer and get a soundcloud or bandcamp and promote my music and maybe someone will eventually hear it and want to pay for it or pay me to custom make something for them. but in Dreams it feels silly to give what I consider some of my best ideas to this platform for nothing in return. So i ended up deleting the songs and just saving those ideas for myself. Disclaimer: i dont think im particularly any good or any better than anyone else at what i want to do

granted, i dont think its entirely a crapshoot. i think theres something to be said for the ability to make this stuff INSIDE of Dreams that will inevitably get eyes on certain people. im not sure how its going to eventually translate into getting people hired at game studios or whatever because game development tools are just way more complex than whats in Dreams

But if youre doing this as a pure hobby of passion then more power to you. Its a fucking POWERFUL tool, all things considered

Good for you. Really. Dreams is an on ramp. It lowers the barrier to entry for people to be creative around music, video, animation. If that inspires you to get into something you love like music, and then explore other tools - fantastic. But for others that might feel they can't/don't want to use more complex tools, Dreams is a great option

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
I was actually not a fan of this as is. I thought there was potential there but man the little guy needed SOMETHING to do. Give me a gun, let me pick up and throw the rocks, it was missing the ability to do anything but walk and jump. Walking and jumping may not be so bad for a platformer, but as you can see from that gif there's zero platforming to be done. Like the robot, like the design, needed purpose.

really? That wasn't my takeaway from it at all. I thought it was a great showcase of a couple things; What I saw was an absolutely beautiful UI and absurdly detailed and animated robot. I hope more creators like that will make the guts of their display effects & logic available to the rest of the community. Being able to slot that into different types of games will be a huge boon, imo.

Some stuff looks pretty neat, but not getting into the Beta has honestly made me put most Dreams stuff on ignore it annoyed me that much. Hope to be over it by the time the full game comes out, but being jerked around over a month hasn't been a winning strategy for me. Especially now The Chosen get to show how much fun and ahead with the tools they are compared to the Dreamless.

This part has me convinced this is a joke post. Right?
i did NOT like the beta. stupid motion controls made navigating a pain. MM levels were pretty bad. not a single good level from the community though thats to be expected.

this is MM's first real game in 8 years and we got a silly hammer game, some random hug me shit and a bad space shooter. this is not how you show off your game.

Ahhhaha what a take. sorry bud, I guess Dreams ain't for you then. Shame too. Really though, assuming you read what MM put out regarding what the beta was & (more importantly) wasn't , what did you expect this was going to be?

Last edited:

Dyllan Price

Oct 25, 2017
i did NOT like the beta. stupid motion controls made navigating a pain. MM levels were pretty bad. not a single good level from the community though thats to be expected.

this is MM's first real game in 8 years and we got a silly hammer game, some random hug me shit and a bad space shooter. this is not how you show off your game.
You do realize thats only 3 of like 100 creations MM has made right. Those are not the best 3 either, Explain to me how thier hasnt been a good dream published either man?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize thats only 3 of like 100 creations MM has made right. Those are not the best 3 either, Explain to me how thier hasnt been a good dream published either man?
all the popular user created demos i played were basically empty levels. pretty but with no gameplay.

its great to see user created levels with that kind of visual fidelity but the gameplay is what matters to me.

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
So this was created using Dreams???? No way! That's insane.

Question about Dreams VR mode. Does DreamVR mode allow users to create VR experiences or just the tools to be used in VR? If it is the formal then that will be a game changer for PSVR as there will be loads of VR content coming (I hope this is true). Has MM talked much about the Dreams VR stuff?

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
So this was created using Dreams???? No way! That's insane.

Question about Dreams VR mode. Does DreamVR mode allow users to create VR experiences or just the tools to be used in VR? If it is the formal then that will be a game changer for PSVR as there will be loads of VR content coming (I hope this is true). Has MM talked much about the Dreams VR stuff?
VR is not in the beta yet. What they said is you will be able to both create in VR and play in VR (with title that are made compatible for it). Suppose to be there day 1.

And yes this will be a big boost for PSVR.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Really fucking smart to have the NDA lifted only after people have had time to make things.

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
VR is not in the beta yet. What they said is you will be able to both create in VR and play in VR (with title that are made compatible for it). Suppose to be there day 1.
YES!!!! That's great news. Can't wait to see what folks do with this. This tool is beyond impressive. Bravo MM.

You know, if developers don't give us the games we want, folks will just make it themselves lmao.
That's what I was thinking too. All non-PS exclusives can now come to PS4 lol (I know most of them will not be possible)

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I'm legit so impressed by all this. Fantastic stuff and so much potential! Might pick up the game just to experience other people's masterpieces :D

Dyllan Price

Oct 25, 2017
all the popular user created demos i played were basically empty levels. pretty but with no gameplay.

its great to see user created levels with that kind of visual fidelity but the gameplay is what matters to me.
You want gameplay: Go to recommended.

2nd Dream: Prometheus - FPS
5th Dream: Fret Star - Guitar Hero
6th Dream: Polarity - Platformer
12th Dream: Marbelous - Sonic Like Platformer
13th Dream: Slayer Scrolls - RPG
17th Dream: Porto - Platformer
21st Dream: Gold Valley - Puzzle
22nd Dream: Time Corruption - Puzzle Platformer

I can go on..

If your gonna troll at least provide some evidence.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good for you. Really. Dreams is an on ramp. It lowers the barrier to entry for people to be creative around music, video, animation. If that inspires you to get into something you love like music, and then explore other tools - fantastic. But for others that might feel they can't/don't want to use more complex tools, Dreams is a great option
i know but it being an on ramp has nothing to do with what i was trying to convey to that poster lol

you should have replied to him with this instead of me

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I just want a way to use my digital piano through USB for music creation. I could make music so much quicker. I really hope Sony adds midi support with PS5

They have a prototype MIDI-via-OSC thing they cooked up, but it's not working in the beta. I don't know if it'll make it for launch, but they're definitely aware of the need/desire to support external MIDI equipment.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Man I said it before but I really hope this gets released as a tool you can use for commercial projects.
The only thing I want for now is a release date. This is so good.

I can go on..

Yes, there are plenty of dreams with gameplay, but still, gameplay is hard to do which explains why there are so much dreams without actual gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
Now that the NDA is gone, I'd like to say I'm really impressed by how intuitive the UI is, how excellent the tutorials are and largely everything about Dreams outside of a few minor quibbles.

I'm not very proficient at coding or art, but being able to bring to life some sort of basic turn based battle system in a game with an isometric view within of a few short hours was incredibly rewarding.

My goal is to replicate Dungeons and Dragons the best I can, and see how well I can use that fro my DnD sessions. I know a redditors already made quite extensive headway towards that as is.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just want a way to use my digital piano through USB for music creation. I could make music so much quicker. I really hope Sony adds midi support with PS5
They have a prototype MIDI-via-OSC thing they cooked up, but it's not working in the beta. I don't know if it'll make it for launch, but they're definitely aware of the need/desire to support external MIDI equipment.
yeah if/when they add a midi controller, that's going to allow people to take the music to the absolute next level. its gonna get crazy

there's just so much potential with it. i cant wait for more people to get their hands on it

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dudes on their couches making better star wars games than anything we've got in 10+ years confirmed. That's not really saying much though, unfortunately.

Honestly, just making a straightforward Bushido Blade-type lightsaber game would be cooler than anything we've seen from EA thus far.

And you could most assuredly make something like that with this engine.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can go on..

lol why would i troll about this. whats the matter with you.

i played several demos. you can look at my history if thats available to everyone. the only game i played on your list was slayer scrolls though i admit i didnt go all the way down to the 22nd dream.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

i played several demos. you can look at my history if thats available to everyone. the only game i played on your list was slayer scrolls though i admit i didnt go all the way down to the 22nd dream.
It's only been a month and this's the first time the game was offered to the public. We already have quite a few dreams with good gameplay that can be improved upon greatly once people have more time with the game.
Your expectations are not realistic if you're expecting games that plat the same as games that were made in years.

Oct 29, 2017
Is it possible to paint clothing onto characters, and more importantly, is it possible to make certain textures like leather and make patterns or would it be better and less thermo expensive to sculpt clothing for these effects? Thanks in advance.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
hopefully at some point you can reward/donate the creators for their levels.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to paint clothing onto characters, and more importantly, is it possible to make certain textures like leather and make patterns or would it be better and less thermo expensive to sculpt clothing for these effects? Thanks in advance.
you would have to model/sculpt the clothing onto the character, and then paint that part of it with a shiny finish/texture thats to your liking. there are a few different finishes/textures in right now, but none of them have the wrinkles/lines that you would find on leather. if you wanted it that specific, you'd have to model that in yourself

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
All those thing have been made in a month (at most) usually by a single person that never had access to those tools.

Just imagine how crazy things will be 6 month after launch, 12 month, etc.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

I believe painting is pretty cheap from a thermo perspective. And painting onto characters is how people make flowing stuff in Dreams...fabric, hair, etc.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
This is just early days pre release stuff imagine after it releases and people master all the tools etcetc and experts at creating many stuff dayum and with a wider population of course

Dyllan Price

Oct 25, 2017

I just don't like people to blindly hate on a game without doing their research.