• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
November 30, 1989.

dawzQk9.jpg

b8qEk7D.jpg

Originally meant to be the PC Engine 2 with perhaps an actual 16-bit CPU and due for release in Japan sometime in 1990, the machine was rushed to market in late 1989 by a panicked NEC, worried about the impending Super Famicom.

9wrbTap.jpg

DSoxHTZ.jpg

SuperGrafx had only modest upgrades, the same 8-bit CPU as the PCE/TG-16, additional video processor, 4x main memory and 2x video memory and 1 game at launch, Battle Ace, a first person shooter that was kinda like a mix of Sega's After Burner and Galaxy Force.

qs2MPFL.jpg

SPFKLaN.jpg

7BdGM7g.jpg

Only 5 games were released exclusively for the system between 1989 and 1991 before it's death, including conversions of two Capcom arcade games, Ghouls 'n Ghosts and 1941 Counter Attack.

This is my favorite obscure console.

The killer app for the SGX is definitely Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

Here's a 3-way comparison between the arcade, Mega Drive / Genesis and SuperGrafx versions.

Sega's version was 5 megabit while NEC's version was 8 megabit.

Z3Mfo0B.jpg

gTuq1Mq.jpg

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For those unaware, you should do this mod to prevent the PCB from cracking because the support plastic under it is a bit too high.

6XYlCAT.jpg

8GZDtCT.jpg

NDL7ekJ.jpg

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
It's kinda sad that NEC could never follow up the success of the PC Engine. I don't know too much about the Super Grafx, but was thanks to era that I went down a rabbit hole with the PCFX.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I started using the internet in 1996, and of course there was no Google at that time. One of the search engines that was popular then was Infoseek.com. The very first thing I searched for was the SuperGrafx.

The next year, I got a SGX and Daimakiamura for under $300 from a local import game store in the Chicago area. Man, I wish I'd never parted with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
The game in the bottom right corner is Madou King Granzort, usually just called Granzort. It's similar to Keith Courage in Alpha Zones on the TurboGrafx-16. Both games were based on anime or manga, but not directly related. it's a platform game and kinda bland.

One of a small group of games exclusive to NEC's ill-fated SuperGrafx system, Madou King Granzort is probably best left untouched. While it has colorful graphics, like other SuperGrafx exclusives it feels very rushed, and is generally boring to play as a result.

KcPinXG.jpg

The most notable thing about the game is its resemblance to a certain title from the Hudson's past. Some gamers will notice that Granzort controls identically to Keith Courage in Alpha Zones on the TurboGrafx-16 and even has very similar character designs, weapons and enemies. In the US, it was even referred to as a direct sequel to Keith Courage in an issue of EGM.

Z9at0RZ.jpg

here's a review.

Last edited:

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
(sleepytypingtime) I feel ya. I had a subscription to DieHardGameFan and would read about those Japanese game systems like FM Marty, Pippin, and of course the SuperGrafx (nice to see those graveyard sides again, too thx ;).
It really feels like NEC was really just spitballing with an unlimited budget and hoping PCE would gain traction (kinda like an alpha-esque version of future Sega). NEC somehow was a NES competitor with actual success but also sabotaging themselves along the way with constant revisions and fragmentation of games n hardware (most likely why PCE was their only gaming success... FX what?). (I enjoyed seeing what Konami did with DracX if you tried to run it on a system1 card.)
So, I'm glad that even though I never owned the SG hardware, I'll be able to play a few of them on the PC Engine Mini soon (which I'm quite excited for too).

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I've been lucky enough to play most of the library thanks to it being at MAGfest every year. It's got a cool, unique design, but the games are just kinda... average? Even the star of the show, Daimakaimura, has been superceded by more accurate arcade ports.

I prefer the PC-FX to Supergrafx if I have to choose. Chip Chan Kick, Zenki, Langrisser FX, and Miraculum, not to mention the tons of dating sims and VNs if that's your bag.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno what some of y'all are talking about, I thought the console looked horrible. Were they trying to channel H.R. Giger in its design?

Am I mistaken or was Capcom's Strider not one of the games advertised to be coming to the Super-Grafx? For some reason I have the two coupled together as a thing in my memory, probably due to old issues of GameFan I would read religiously back in the day.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno what some of y'all are talking about, I thought the console looked horrible. Were they trying to channel H.R. Giger in its design?

Am I mistaken or was Capcom's Strider not one of the games advertised to be coming to the Super-Grafx? For some reason I have the two coupled together as a thing in my memory, probably due to old issues of GameFan I would read religiously back in the day.
Strider was a Super CD game for half a decade before moving to Arcade Card

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted a SuperGrafx so badly back in the day after seeing screens in magazines, especially for Strider which wasn't even real SGX screens anyway. I did come across one at a random electronics store in a local mall in the early '90s but by then it looked like the system wouldn't have much of a future and $300 CAD was way more than I could justify. I did play all its games years later via emulator.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

Yes, it was. It was talked about in magazines, and appeared in ads for import games

MnB9l7F.jpg

snSBuRI.jpg

iGjwa4H.jpg

ICNvKUs.jpg

lXMBvvK.jpg

60LFk0J.jpg

Last edited:

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
there was no need for the SuperGfx when the PC Engine had a CPU advantage over the SNES

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Really, NEC+Hudson should have done what they were reportedly going to do as of mid-1989 -- and that is, bring out a PC Engine 2 with an actual 16-bit CPU, much improved graphics including scaling & rotation functions, better improved sound and not until sometime in 1990. Either that, or get together with Namco, who also had a 16-bit console in the pipeline but hesitated to release it and ultimately did not because the new console market was becoming very crowded at the time. NEC had wanted to partner with Namco to use their 16-bit machine as the PC Engine 2, but Hudson wouldn't have it. That deal was killed, and so the SuperGrafx was rushed to the market.

This isn't a perfect analogy, but lets just say Sony had launched the PS4 and it was very successful, but the CPU was Jaguar. Sony is then expected to release PS5 with Ryzen after some years, but instead, releases Super PS4 with the same Jaguar CPU and double the graphics power. Super PS4 gets a handful of exclusive games, is full back compat with PS4, but it fails miserably.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
The Supergrafx was quite possibly the first mid-gen refresh console akin to your PS4 Pro and Xbox One X with its upgraded dual VDCs.

I had a chance to pick one up for cheap years ago with full RGB SCART modifications but wasn't convinced with its handful of upgraded games. Still love its industrial design though.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
The Supergrafx was quite possibly the first mid-gen refresh console akin to your PS4 Pro and Xbox One X with its upgraded dual VDCs.

I had a chance to pick one up for cheap years ago with full RGB SCART modifications but wasn't convinced with its handful of upgraded games. Still love its industrial design though.

My thoughts exactly, about the mid-gen refresh upgrade akin to PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, and the SuperGrafx industrial design.

I even love the few drawings of the SuperGrafx that I've seen in magazines.

HYRMthL.jpg

4uhJWAM.jpg

uDD6ZYX.jpg

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

What about the SG-1000 to Mark III?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I bought the PS4 Pro because I thought it would be the modern SuperGrafx. Too bad it didn't inherit the weird sci-fi hallway design. :/

It had some good Capcom ports but the system really didn't need to exist with the way NEC half-assed everything.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I actually had this at some stage around the time importers started bringing it over. I already owned a pc engine and the CD-rom interface unit and traded it in along with a megadrive for this system.

The only game that impressed the most was of course Daimakaimura. 1941 was a very expensive game brand new at that time and I wasn't impressed that I managed to beat it on the same day with 1 credit. I didn't know too much about the other games either because there just wasn't enough coverage on them at that time from the UK games mags. The only saving grace about this system was that it was backwards compatible with all the pc engine library and some games that had quite a bit of flicker or frame rate drops just seem to run much smoother on the supergrafx.

That Strider announcement over time just became a huge let down and eventually traded it all in for a US SNES and then a few years later traded that in for a Duo-R unit before the 32-bit monsters appeared.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
What about the SG-1000 to Mark III?
You could argue the case. Wasn't the Mark III a Master System prelude? What would be SMS to the Megadrive then? Did the Mark III get both CPU and VDC boost or just VDC? What about C64 and C128, or various Spectrum iterations?

The Supergrafx seemed more a half-way refresh before the NEC PCFX with a clear CPU and VDC boost.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure if its CPU was boosted in any way.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
There was a feature on this in the first EGM I ever bought. It was always this mysterious unobtainable thing that looked amazing and could do legit arcade ports. Not sure why NEC couldn't make it happen.

They pretty clearly took the PC Engine name as a design cue and modelled it after...an engine. I always thought it looked badass.

2014_rolls-royce_phansokzo.jpg

Nov 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I love the Supergrafx. It's still my primary way to play PCE games to this day.

Sure, it + the RAU30 adapter makes it giant and unwieldy as hell, but that's what makes it fun.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Was strider closer to the arcade than the Genesis? I was disappointed by the Genesis version but still played it over and over when it came out.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Was strider closer to the arcade than the Genesis? I was disappointed by the Genesis version but still played it over and over when it came out.
The Arcade Card version of Strider is terrible. The Megadrive version remains the best console port (outside of the emulated PS release and the X68000 one)

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
There was a feature on this in the first EGM I ever bought. It was always this mysterious unobtainable thing that looked amazing and could do legit arcade ports. Not sure why NEC couldn't make it happen.

They pretty clearly took the PC Engine name as a design cue and modelled it after...an engine. I always thought it looked badass.

2014_rolls-royce_phansokzo.jpg

Wow, I've never seen it in that light before. amazing.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I always wonder about the alternate history where the Turbografx-16 came out in the US in 1987 same year it hit Japan. I mean, for us in the US the NES had only been out for two years at that point, and the Genesis was still two years in the future, so the Turbografx would have blown people away. Instead, it came out the same month as the Sega Genesis, which was clearly superior, and filled with Sega arcade ports. In this theoretical alternate history, the Supergrafx would have been released at the same time as the Genesis instead, after having had two years of Turbografx games on the market to hype people up for it.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always wonder about the alternate history where the Turbografx-16 came out in the US in 1987 same year it hit Japan. I mean, for us in the US the NES had only been out for two years at that point, and the Genesis was still two years in the future, so the Turbografx would have blown people away. Instead, it came out the same month as the Sega Genesis, which was clearly superior, and filled with Sega arcade ports. In this theoretical alternate history, the Supergrafx would have been released at the same time as the Genesis instead, after having had two years of Turbografx games on the market to hype people up for it.
Yeah, it's strange they waited so long to release the TG16. Of course, a lot of it comes down to marketing. The NES had advertising unlike anything that had seen before in North America. It was at another level. NEC's marketing of the TG16 was so minimal that even Sega/Tonka's SMS promoting in NA seems big by comparison.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

I often wonder something fairly similar. The TurboGrafx-16 comes out in the US in 1988 (when there's a years worth of PC-Engine software to choose from). That's still a year before Genesis, and by late 1988, both part I and part II of R-Type is ready. This becomes the pack-in game for the TG-16.
In Japan, the PC-Engine II is released as a real 16-bit system with hardware scaling and rotation, and its better than the Super Famicom. The name SuperGrafx gets used for the US and it launches in 1991.