• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
For reference: I live in Sydney and the suburb I live in won't be getting NBN until June but I know its going to be delayed anyway, it was supposed to come last October.

I can't online game with the adsl we have, when my roommate uses it especially. Its only good for watching youtube and browsing the net.

I don't think I can get cable as I've done a search on Telstras website but it only gives me an option for ADSL2+.

Any other alternatives? Or am I doomed forever with slow/broken internet.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of online gaming, you're probably stuffed. You might see what mobile broadband deals exist but then you'll have the issue of latency and potential monthly data caps.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how internet access is in Australia, like how expensive it is and do you guys have montly caps etc over there? :o

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You pay $60 a month for unlimted data and speed is from 3-10mb/s if you're like me on adsl, plus it goes out in storms a lot lol
Wow. I would understand if that was out in the bush, in the middle of nowhere but you say you live in Sydney -_-

Mar 21, 2018
Sydney dude here. Check and see if your residence gets Fibre to the Building (FttB), currently offered by TPG and iiNet. I just got it installed and I went from 600kbps on Steam (laughable) to 11.8mbps. The best part? I was paying $80 a month on adsl and now I pay $60.

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney dude here. Check and see if your residence gets Fibre to the Building (FttB), currently offered by TPG and iiNet. I just got it installed and I went from 600kbps on Steam (laughable) to 11.8mbps. The best part? I was paying $80 a month on adsl and now I pay $60.
80$ for that?? I'd feel dirty saying what I'm getting for 25€ a month.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Try giving your ISP a call. I remember when I was on ADSL2+ and realised I should be getting faster speeds. I think the issue was that my speed had been capped to make the overall connection more stable (but the extra stability wasn't even necessary anymore). I called up my ISP, and I had faster speeds later that day.

If that doesn't work, try the Whirlpool Forums. There are individual boards dedicated to the popular ISPs and the employees from them tend to pop into threads to help out.