• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
maxresdefault.jpg

The game is out on Origin Premiere and EA Access. You get a 10 hour trial of the full game on EA Access. Please post any and all impressions here. The game officially launches on Friday.

Twitch Directory of Live Streams

Oct 27, 2017
Im subscribing to Access solely to play the new star wars game, but im curious to check this out too, hoping it has some of that NFS Underground blood in it.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
awesome, thanks Marcellus Wallace - interested to hear more of your impressions. Game honestly looks like a return to form to me and I like the idea of blending multiple of the old games play styles under a single roof.

Have you seen much in the way of MTs, specifically any gating progress, yet?

OP
OP
M. Wallace

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
awesome, thanks Marcellus Wallace - interested to hear more of your impressions. Game honestly looks like a return to form to me and I like the idea of blending multiple of the old games play styles under a single roof.

Have you seen much in the way of MTs, specifically any gating progress, yet?

Nothing for MT's so far, but I'm only an hour in.

Quick one hour impressions:

-game looks great on 1x, better at night of course
-map is huge
-driving is very nfs arcadey but better than payback
-being able to drive anywhere is nice, i believe payback had a bunch of barriers everywhere, this is more like forza horizon on that front
-trees, poles, everything but concrete stuff can be driven through which is nice imo
-cops are tough and unrelenting, so far the chases i've had have been really fun
-the story is dumb, but whatever
-tons of customization, haven't delved in too much though
-a couple menu loading freezes

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I want to make a OT but the Payback backfired so I'll just let someone else do it.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

-map is huge
-being able to drive anywhere is nice, i believe payback had a bunch of barriers everywhere, this is more like forza horizon on that front
-trees, poles, everything but concrete stuff can be driven through which is nice imo
-cops are tough and unrelenting, so far the chases i've had have been really fun

so what you are saying is......its easily ghosts best work and driving model since rivals?

Because NFS rivals is the best NFS this gen and was a ton of fun for the generation opener......then it only got worse

OP
OP
M. Wallace

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
so what you are saying is......its easily ghosts best work and driving model since rivals?

Because NFS rivals is the best NFS this gen and was a ton of fun for the generation opener......then it only got worse

Once i got the "release rt and press rt again to drift" down the driving has been really fun. Again, I haven't played Payback in a long time so maybe someone else can chime in with more detailed thoughts on the handling.

*edit - apparently you can switch the drift button to your braking button if you choose

Last edited:

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have origin premier on my PC but have sooooooooo much on my plate. im looking forward to this though, im a sucker for a solid NFS game

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017

-map is huge

Nice impressions. Decent sense of speed?

I'm really curious about this. I may need to buy a one month EA to play it. I have fallen off racers hard, but this might be up my alley.

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for setting up this thread, very interested in trial impressions. I downloaded and plan to try tonight.

I like Payback *gasp* so I'm probably an easier target than most. I don't like very open world racers unless there are options to make the experience somewhat linear with quick travel, race lineup/checklists, etc.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Threads about this game all over the place. There's at least 5 or 6 different threads about this game. A single thread for discution since the game was announced would have been better.

Anyway, hyped up for friday, keep the impressions coming!

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I didn't like it. Not a fan of the story. Didn't like how the city looked in daytime - a bit lacking in vibrancy - reminded me of the X360 brown-filter period. Handling meh.

Map is really nice and big though, lots of detail. Just wish it looked nice in the sunshine.

My main problem was it didn't feel at all smooth on XB1X. The frame rate was consistent, but whatever motion blur they are using looked poor and gave me a headache. It's light years behind Forza Horizon in terms of smoothness.

Played a couple of hours and uninstalled.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
Played about 10 minutes of it and it's...okay? Playing on PC and having this really odd extreme stutter (frames dropping from 60->10fps) during cutscenes and what not. Going to try poking around a bit more today to figure out what exactly may be going on and try the game out some more. Will say up front though that the game is definitely a looker!

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Threads about this game all over the place. There's at least 5 or 6 different threads about this game. A single thread for discution since the game was announced would have been better.

Anyway, hyped up for friday, keep the impressions coming!
Blame the last thread being the same joke over and over.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Im download it right now for ps4 pro. Will post my impressions later.

Note: My last played, which is also my most favorite racer, NFS is Hot Pursuit (2010).

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm the biggest curmudgeon at this point about my hopes for NFS games, but I'm glad to see some good first impressions.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, the last one was a hype check thread, which should die when the game is now playable. new function, new thread.

You can blame me, I specifically asked Marcellus Wallace for it

Oct 30, 2017
Played it for an hour and deleted it.

• Looks good at night, not so much during the day (high settings @ 1440p)
  • Didn't like any of the music (big issue)
  • Yet again they're taking the story and themselves way too damn serious (lighten the fuck up)
  • Constant chatter which is so grating and poorly written
  • Didn't like the steering

These guys could not do Underground 3 justice so I don't even want it anymore.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
dont wanna be a debbie downer, but... my impressions are not that great.
honestly I'm kind of finding it equally as average as Payback

the handling is a slight improvement, but overall it's still got largely the same issues. They added an option to double tap the throttle instead of brake to drift for drifting, but I'm honestly not sure it's made any difference. If you choose to tune your car to grip, it just feels way too understeer-y, and really highlights how "static" cars feel in Ghost's games - there's no body roll, no suspension, cars just feel planted, boring.

then there's the visuals. Daytime looks shockingly bad in some places. Bad pop in, the sharpening filter is way too aggressive, and just generally... really flat. Night time does look considerably better, but, NFS15 is still way more atmospheric. And the rain looks pretty awful in my opinion, the particles feel like they're taken straight from BF5, except not the rain particles but the snow particles...? They're so damn chunky lol.

And damn, the city feels dead as hell. Traffic is scrace and pedestrians are nowhere to be found. It really sticks out like a sore thumb here because the game doubles down on the city environment. They really should've done something about this, add a few pedestrians in the game like in The Crew who just jump out the way or add enclosed areas like in Forza where the pedestrians are spectating. Would've added so much extra life to the game.

What I do like, is the night concept - the risk/reward system is taken straight from Rivals. It can craete some truly tense moments, I love that. The music fits the setting, though I bet a lot of people are gonna be pissed with the selection. The story/dialogue is suprisingly not as terrible as in Payback. It's still fairly bad, but for a racing it's acceptable, I guess.

The car customziation is still the one area where NFS is simply not challenged. While FH4 and TC2 both added more customization, they are still a far cry from NFS. And Heat's customization seems pretty good from what I've seen - thankfully the GODAWFUL speed card system is gone.

I fucking loathed payback because of the speedcard system, but ignoring that, I thought it was an "okay" arcade racer. Now, Heat is basically that - with a few tweaks (actual free roam cops from the get go) and additions. It's... okay. It's fine. But I don't think it's really "good". The core of the game, which is the actual driving, is still not nearly as good as it needs to be. With NFS 15, Payback and now Heat, I just never feel like I wanna cruise around in the open world, whereas in The crew, Forza, I constantly do. Here, I just wanna do the races, story and then never play again.

I played using the 10 hour trial, not sure if I'll get the full version yet, maybe I'll do just to support Ghost as, despite me being quite crtiical of them, they really are one of the few remaining devs still doing big budget arcade racers.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Origin Premiere gets the full game and EA Access doesn't? Am I reading this right?
That is the point of Origin Access Premier. New EA games on release (well, 4 days before release), and newish third-party games close to release. It also costs more than EA Access and Origin Access Basic.

Same as how Uplay+ offers new Ubisoft games on release.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Welp just got a hard crash in the middle of a race on ps4 pro lol

This game not a looker. Cars look nice, but the world is soooooo bad to look at. In daytime its fugly as hell. Night slighy better. Oh and its empty.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The PC version seems like a pretty good port. It has a lot of graphical options, and it uses Dolby Vision for HDR if your display supports it. Some key things I quickly noted that improved the experience for me were the ability to raise the chase cam higher while playing, and upgrading my car helped me not hate the handling. I was playing with a 180SX, which I know is a car adept at drifting, but the bottom would come out from me every time my tires squealed just a little. Changing the drift style and changing to race tires seemed to make it control more normally. I know you can tune the handling an all, but I didn't have time to get into all that. The day/night thing will take some getting used to. Day races earn you money, Night earn you rep, and both are required to progress in the story, so I hope one isn't significantly more fun than the other.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never played Payback, but does the handling allow more modulation than 2015? It was either understeer or automatic drifting. I miss older NFS games which had a much wider range of both driving styles and allowed one to modulate slides way more.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
3 crashes on PC so far. Not even an error just immediate CTD. Not impressed to be honest.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I never played Payback, but does the handling allow more modulation than 2015? It was either understeer or automatic drifting. I miss older NFS games which had a much wider range of both driving styles and allowed one to modulate slides way more.

Sorta. You can fine tune it now so that at alower speeds you mostly get grip, and higher speeds you mostly drift. Best way to go about it really.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
What's up with this awful AA solution? It's oversharpened and jaggies everywhere, power lines look like there is no AA in play.