• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
I never played Payback, but does the handling allow more modulation than 2015? It was either understeer or automatic drifting. I miss older NFS games which had a much wider range of both driving styles and allowed one to modulate slides way more.

This is my biggest problem with modern NFS games. They have just gone mostly with the "drift everywhere" handling model which kinda bugs me. Either that or there is a distinct difference between "handling" mode and "drifting" mode. Hot Pursuit 2 had the best handling model IMO, it really felt like you were driving on the ragged edge.

baberunisei

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have one simple question to the guys that played it:

Will I get Underground feelings when I play it?

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I created a crew on PC for members here who need one. It's named ResetEra. Tag is @ERA. We can always change it, but it requires four characters. You can search for it under Social->Crews.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I have one simple question to the guys that played it:

Will I get Underground feelings when I play it?

A lot of the raw elements of Underground are included in Heat, but I don't think it feels like Underground, and that's simply because Underground was defined by that very specific time period. Heat is focused on modern car culture, and it feels different.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
So is the framerate 30 or 60 on Xbone X? I remember the initial gameplay trailer was rough as hell in that regard. How are things now? I'm honestly debating about either getting this or Death Stranding, I know, really opposite games but I only really have the budget for one this month.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Tried on PC.

Performance seems fine.
Handling seems closer to hot pirsuit.
Night time look good day time not so much.
Game reminds me of most wanted.
I like handling. Haven't played any NFS this gen so can't compare to others but it's NFS arcadey which I liked. Much better than simcades

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Which cars did you buy early on? I might wanna go with the mercedez at rep lvl8.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played it for an hour and deleted it.

• Looks good at night, not so much during the day (high settings @ 1440p)
  • Didn't like any of the music (big issue)
  • Yet again they're taking the story and themselves way too damn serious (lighten the fuck up)
  • Constant chatter which is so grating and poorly written
  • Didn't like the steering

These guys could not do Underground 3 justice so I don't even want it anymore.

fucking how do you mess this up, it's a RACING GAME. I can't believe we're talking about issues w steering in a NFS game yet again. No, wait, I CAN believe it. You put a racing game out there, you absolutely MUST make it feel amazing to drive the cars!!

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
fucking how do you mess this up, it's a RACING GAME. I can't believe we're talking about issues w steering in a NFS game yet again. No, wait, I CAN believe it. You put a racing game out there, you absolutely MUST make it feel amazing to drive the cars!!
yea! and its not like this game has an extensive feature that lets you customize handling the way you want it...no not at all /s

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to buy one month of EA access but it asks me to add a creditcard. Fucking why? Just let me use my PS wallet like the PS plus subscriptions do. I don't wanna add anything else.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
Played about 2 hours on PC earlier. Game seems pretty fun so far, definitely a step up from Payback. (Though what does that even mean I guess...)

Gotta say they really did the game a disservice with how they showed it of before launch. Often times when I went out in daytime I got a time of day that wasn't just straight noon with the lighting looking flat and boring.

I had a nice sunset once, and an overcast sky with the sun shining through another time. That plus the occasional rain makes the game look much better than any pre-release videos I've stumbled across at least.

Story seems silly but hey, I even enjoyed 2015 for the funny mess it was. :p
Excited to keep playing a bit more tomorrow at least, so that's a positive initial impression if nothing else.

Oct 25, 2017
Gah I hope this is good. Even if it's just 7/10 quality I'll be fine.

I don't have hopes any NFS developed by Ghost will cross that threshold but if it's at least entertaining, it's not an eyesore, and the cars don't handle poorly I'll be happy.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Blame the last thread being the same joke over and over.

Nah the last thread was actually on point, there's no marketing for this whatsoever outside of youtubers who got the game and have been releasing videos for a couple of weeks.

There's a thread created not long after the gamescom announcement that should be for news about the game but no one posted there and it died off.

I mean, the last one was a hype check thread, which should die when the game is now playable. new function, new thread.

You can blame me, I specifically asked Marcellus Wallace for it

I´m not blaming anyone, i´m just saying that we should have one thread to contain all the information and the impressions on the game. Might as well make this the OT.

How's the photomode in the game, similar do Payback?

Daaaaamn lost 40k. Cops ate are persistent.

That's "great" to hear actually (not you losing rep) that he cops are good in this game because in 2015 and Payback they were a joke.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just played an hour or so. My quick thoughts:

Good:
+ Graphics, especially at night. The wet pavement looks amazing.
+ Very well optimised for PC. My 1070 Ti could run this at 4K on High with a mostly smooth framerate
+ Ability to swap between day and night with one button press is neat.

Bad:
- Story is hilariously self-serious
- Gameplay just seems generic as hell. Like, a fine enough time waster but nothing I haven't seen before.
- Soundtrack is awful
- Map and UI feel clunky and overwhelming
- Not a fan of the handling
- World feels pretty empty
- Matchmaking doesn't seem great. I tried to do a few races with other players but nobody bit. Makes the world feel emptier

I'll give this a few more hours before Death Stranding comes out but once that hits I can't imagine I'll go back to this. I only got a month of Origin for Jedi so this was just a nice bonus.

Reminds me of The Crew 2 honestly - competent enough but totally soulless and forgettable.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I am super luke warm on this after playing a couple hours... it is so lifeless :I

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Im definitely not a fan of the given music tracks in the game. 3 hours in and races kinda already feel repetitive. I will give this game another chance tomorrow. Lets see how it is a few more hours in.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I was hopeful but Im not feeling it as well and I bought the Deluxe Edition. Oh well, lesson learned. The city is lifeless and textures are late to
load at times. Plus I had the game free up my XBX1. I bought into some of the youtube influencers positive impression.

OP
OP
M. Wallace

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
6 hours played today, I really like it. But, I also like MW quite a bit. And Breakpoint. I despised Payback though.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
For people saying it's like Most Wanted do you mean Most Wanted 2005? The reason why I wanted to try this out because what I got from the impression is that it played like Most Wanted 2005 which is what I want.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If anyone wants an invite to the crew on PC, I'll be on for a bit. Post your in-game name.

If you want to search and request, it's named ResetEra, or @ERA.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched a stream last night and can't say I was blown away by what I saw.

might get a month of EA access to give it a whirl for 10 hours

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I've been having a decent time with it. I'll be buying it on Friday.

I'm not a fan of the soundtrack though. A lot of it sounds like Latino elevator music.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played it a bit yesterday and it's not bad...

I loved Underground 1 and 2, Most Wanted, etc. but i didn't like the newer ones one bit. This feels quite good but i don't think this is enough for me to play it as much as in the past.

Played on PS4 Pro:

- handling is fine (not great)
- graphics are meh (daytime) and much better at night (cars look cool but the city is flat and looks like a bad last gen gta clone)
- music is disapointing so far (maybe i'm old now...)
- the menues and the style is quite nice
- the story is garbage (i couldn't believe how the police acted in the first minutes, who thinks this is even a tad realistic?) but some of the characters (the sister) are ok

I could see older NFS fans play this and having "fun" but this isn't a return to form.

QUOTE="Oghuz, post: 26168327, member: 14497"]
Wanted to buy one month of EA access but it asks me to add a creditcard. Fucking why? Just let me use my PS wallet like the PS plus subscriptions do. I don't wanna add anything else.
[/QUOTE]

That's strange. I did exactly that yesterday.

The only way i pay on PSN is with my PSN wallet.

Last edited:

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, after an hour it's not terrible. Looks nice graphically, the driving is fine. Nothing to make me want to play further, though. Oh well, $6 EA monthly sub got me a $6 discount on the digital Jedi preorder.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Some PC gameplay showing the settings and no commentary. As for impressions, it doesn't hit the highs of Need for Speeds best.

However in an age where arcade racers are almost non existent this is easily the best racer I've played all year. It's far better than the Grid reboot and it's far above what Payback was.

My Name is John Marston

Alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone from Giant Bomb talk about it? I'm waiting to hear Jeff's impressions since they usually lineup with mine regarding this franchise.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
im actually turning around on it somewhat. Day races are really boring, but driving and racing at night is pretty fun. its addicting to keep on building your heat meter. but last night I was racing doing well but i got lost and lost track of the check point gates. I got frustrated and shut the game off

Bisonian

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone from Giant Bomb talk about it? I'm waiting to hear Jeff's impressions since they usually lineup with mine regarding this franchise.

Yeah he talks about it on the Bombcast for a bit. Impressions largely seem to match this thread, that's its "fine" but rather soulless and empty. Didn't understand why they keep doubling down on the formula of this style of NFS. Not realistic enough for the fans to be brought in by the real cars, not fun/action enough for fans of Burnout. Sits in the middle where it won't fully please anyone.

Would recommend giving it a listen, I'm just trying to summarize from memory.