• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

breander

Oct 27, 2017
Wait what the fuck. You mean you can't race with other players? It really is The Crew 2 all over again.

I raced against another player last night. It's sorta like Forza Horizon you drive up to an event and can choose solo or multiplayer then it will spend about 1 minute waiting to see if anybody also wants to race.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
Wait what the fuck. You mean you can't race with other players? It really is The Crew 2 all over again.

You can, but it's basically the same approach they've had since NFS 2015: You drive up to an event and can challenge the whole session to join, and well, good luck on that.

Thinking about it for a bit, I'm really baffled why they haven't got at least rudimentary matchmaking going. Their sessions are already pretty small, so the chance that you get some people that actually give a fuck about the event you posted is minuscule at best.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
There's not enough impact to these cars early on. Basic obstacles like stone walls and trees barely make a dent in your car or your speedometer.

Hopefully it gets better but I already see a basic version of the Payback leveling system at play. Cars start at ~130 and there's a trophy for reaching at least level 400.

Nov 2, 2017
Just reported your post for saying you like Payback.
Lol. Let the world know!

Finally had a chance to try the NFS Heat trial on Xbone. Only played for about 30-40 minutes but the game works for me. Really enjoying it. Not sure I'll pull the trigger at full price (still playing Payback!) but I will plan to pick up Heat at some point.

EA Access is very cool, love these trials.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I like the music and day night stuff.

The cop system is weird though, I was parked on the side in my simple looking Mustang. Not doing anything at all, no one knows me as I'm brand new. Then a cop passes by and it's now a cop chase...lol

This is exactly how it worked in Rivals as well and I hated it. At least you can pause here - you couldn't in Rivals.

welcome to Ghost's NFS. At least, you can play coop with your buddy.
But yeah, PVP is a mess. They really should have just a seperate mode for it and make it like MW2012. Which is still easily the peak of the franchise when it comes to MP.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Just go down the full arcady burnout road already, with no cringe story attached.
Most wanted 2012 so damn awesome. Game was unfairly hated upon because it wasn't like the original

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Think I might jump back into the series with this one.

Actually loved Rivals, except for the online-only limitation, have a yearning for a decent open world racer on the PS4 (*tumbleweed*), dig the more distinct night and day mechanics here, and without the standard EA always-online, lootboxes, MTX and RPG card based leveling and upgrade mechanics of previous games shitting on everything, this actually looks to be some straight-forward racing, free-roam, cop-escapery and fuck-around fun.

If the PS4 version doesn't have technical issues I'm in.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
This is a nice game but nothing special. Getting upgrades is a normal process which is neat.

You can skip every cutscene - 10/10.

Also, about cops - if you want to chill and avoid cops and night, just dont start any race. Before you race cops won't even look at you unless you touch them. I specifically crashed into another car in front of a cop and no reaction.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Man I'm craving an arcade racer recently and I was hoping this would go hard on the Neon bright lights theme and what not but it does not seem to at all outside the cover. I really need this series to go hard in on a theme again. They are all just... Fast and the Furious. It might be fun though to try EA Access for a month.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
This is a nice game but nothing special. Getting upgrades is a normal process which is neat.

You can skip every cutscene - 10/10.

Also, about cops - if you want to chill and avoid cops and night, just dont start any race. Before you race cops won't even look at you unless you touch them. I specifically crashed into another car in front of a cop and no reaction.

This is frustrating. Because, yeah, there's times I just want to chill and roam around, but there's also times I want my clumsiness or "Fuck all of you CPU drivers" aggression to be punished. Like, what would be the time and financial cost of just adding an option screen that is, basically "I just want to chill/I want cops to follow me for breaking the law". It'd add so much to the game.

Currently in two minds about this - want an arcade racer, but might be annoyed by how entirely average it seems to be. :/

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Tried it on my X. Looks good but somewhat jaggy? On a 1080p TV...

Anyway, plays much better than Payback imo, the story stuff is still hard to deal with for me. I guess I'll keep playing Horizon

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
First scored review on Opencritic is a 3/5, says the game is great apart from the handling and story.

Tech Advisor Review
I'm of the mind that it's straight-up nonsensical to call a racing game "great" when the handling is bad. Bad handling invalidates everything else.

This thread isn't encouraging at all, so I guess I'll just plug my PS3 in and play some Criterion Hot Pursuit instead of this for a few days :P

Groundking

Oct 31, 2017
Nah the last thread was actually on point, there's no marketing for this whatsoever outside of youtubers who got the game and have been releasing videos for a couple of weeks.

There's a thread created not long after the gamescom announcement that should be for news about the game but no one posted there and it died off.

I´m not blaming anyone, i´m just saying that we should have one thread to contain all the information and the impressions on the game. Might as well make this the OT.

How's the photomode in the game, similar do Payback?

That's "great" to hear actually (not you losing rep) that he cops are good in this game because in 2015 and Payback they were a joke.

There was cops in 2015? haha must have been terrible if I can't remember them.

All of the best NFS games have been open world, so, yeah I do think it's a must for this sort of game.

NFSU1 and Hot Pursuit says hi.

I liked 2015, is it as good as that? Has the livery customiser been improved or is it still the same shit system from Carbon? Is there a nice mountain range to drive and drift around?

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Super High Level w/o backup (It's my opinion) - I enjoy arcade racers.
I've spent around 3 hours with it. I'd give it a 6/10. It's a decent game. If you want more NFS, enjoy, it will scratch your itch. If you want something new or old/iterative, sadly this isn't for you. My origin premier runs out tomorrow and I'm not pressed to play any more of this in that time frame. However if I didn't have anything else and was looking for something mindless/enjoyable I'd be playing this.

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, here is another fella that loves Payback (deal with it :) I bought 1 month of EA Access to try this, and i like it a lot, what i don't like with the trial is that there is a level cap at 10! Anyhow, will buy but will wait for a 50% sale =)

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Well, here is another fella that loves Payback (deal with it :) I bought 1 month of EA Access to try this, and i like it a lot, what i don't like with the trial is that there is a level cap at 10! Anyhow, will buy but will wait for a 50% sale =)

Well, it is a trial after all.

There was cops in 2015? haha must have been terrible if I can't remember them.

There's not much to remember, they were terrible and not challenging at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who has played more than an hour or so know if the game gets more difficult? I set the difficulty to hard and I'm leaving everyone in my dust. My car is only about 10 points ahead of recommended spec too.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
When will the official OT be up? Keen to discuss the game with fellow NFS enthusiasts.

Oct 29, 2017

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
It looks really nice and runs well on my machine. It even utilizes all cores.

But good looking stops as soon as you realize you can drive through nearly everything. Wtf? But other cars are like tanks lol

I deleted it already.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Ehhhh, I think this looks awful. There is no physics at play here just looks sterile as eff with no handling nuance at all. I mean it doesnt need to be Gran Turismo but this just looks flat.

Why cant anyone successfully knock off Forza Horizon?

I've noted in my first impressions that, it's nice to have grip, but... yeah, it really exposes how utterly basic Ghost's driving physics are. Obviosuly it's an arcade racer but cars just feel like they have no body roll, suspension.... no unpredictability, no drama, or anything exciting. Grip means literally stuck to the road with glue. This is why I wish they just focused on nailing ONE style of handling, where you lose grip gradually if you try to take turns at higher than ideal speed, etc... I mean it's pretty basic stuff that majority of NFS titles nailed before so I'm really baffled why these newer ones are struggling so much with it.

Imo heat is best played with drift tuned settings because its clearly how ghost intends you to play... the double tap mechanic at least adds a little extra mechanical depth to the game.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
There are so many weird design decisions in this game. Like I can never tell when I'm able to swap between day and night on the map. I'll enter one garage, exit and get randomly spat out from another one, it's fucking strange.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Just go down the full arcady burnout road already, with no cringe story attached.
Most wanted 2012 so damn awesome. Game was unfairly hated upon because it wasn't like the original

I hated the whole car swapping idea.......it didn't feel like a NFS game, or a recent one.

we really just need an underground 3 at this point made by criterion because ghost is very shoddy. You could get a fantastic driving game like rivals.......or something as bad as payback......it's like insane highs but also insane lows

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Looked for an OT. See there is not one which I actually expected may be the case. This is no doubt the arcade racing series that apparently has taken the biggest fall from grace according to most people.

I have it preordered on XBox thanks to the 10% discount from EA Access. My sub to it actually runs out soon so I held off checking out the Trial (COD MW MP helped me do that no problem) so I am actually looking forward to just diving in tomorrow.

I expect nothing less than an (hopefully entertaining) arcade racer. I also admittedly have never cared about or worried about how the cars handle in any NFS titles. What I mean by that is I just adapt to however the handling is for a particular title in the series and I take it from there as they all seem to have their own little quirks and differences. I also never considered a single one to be anything close to actual real world handling as this series is an arcade racer through and through and I play it as such. I drive through shit. I unrealistically take corners. NFS has always been to me all about the over the top unrealistic arcade racing. I have also been playing the series since the very (console) beginning 23 years ago way back in 1996. Since I have faithfully played and enjoyed most release in the series minus a handful of actual duds, nothing is really going to change my mind on all of that now.

Definitely looking forward to the return of what appears to be some good night time driving again as well. The 2015 Need For Speed "reboot" was no doubt my favorite title of the past 6 or so. But I also even found some enjoyment in Payback although I did absolutely hate the fact I felt I hit in a wall in it that forced one to grind and I no longer had any desire to do so. Up until that point though I even enjoyed the last one.

So perhaps NFS is my guilty gaming pleasure as I seem to be one of the only people left that actually has zero issues with the series. However I also cannot help but think that perhaps that also has to do with the fact I also go into it with zero expectations other than a pure arcade racing experience. I also do not compare it to other games as it is and always has been just Need for Speed. I do feel like some people judge it on what they want it to be rather than what it actually is. Seems to be par for the course these days though.

So yeah, I am mildly excited to dive in and actually going into this one fairly blind. I have checked out one or two preview videos so I know about the whole day / night race aspect, but that is about it. I just enjoy over the top arcade racers so as long as it somewhat delivers as it always has, I am pretty confident I will enjoy it as I always have.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Ehhhh, I think this looks awful. There is no physics at play here just looks sterile as eff with no handling nuance at all. I mean it doesnt need to be Gran Turismo but this just looks flat.

Why cant anyone successfully knock off Forza Horizon?
Damn it looks so bad. Not counting the fact that a Ferrari can cut trees and lampposts without loosing speed or anything.