• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
So I ended up picking this up on PS4 because of friends, but dear god it's such a downgrade from the PC version lol.
30 fps feels extra heavy in this game. A lot of added input lag, which makes dialing in drifts harder. The motion clarity of 60 fps is sorely missed especially at night in rain during big cop chases as well.

Still, got used to it and its fun. The car selcection imo is VERY good, loving that there's actually quite a lot of convertibles. It might not have as many cars as FH, but the list is very well curated. Far ahead of Crew 2's.

zephiross

Mar 27, 2018
I keep getting this error

unknown.png

Every other game is ok, no crash, even i used DDU and a clean driver install
Do you have any overclock running on your GPU ? I usually get this error (mostly with frostbite games) when I don't run at stock frequencies. But I have been fine this far with HEAT so I don't know...

Otherwise, I'm really liking this game, the driving is good, customisation is good, can't say about the story cause I'm not that far in, but while it obviously won't revolutionize the medium, it's serviciable and more in line with past NFS (MW, Carbon...). Car selection is good, and progression too. It doesn't feel like a grind, but you stille have to put some work to unlock new parts and cars, and get money to buy them which makes your car have a "sentimental" value, compared to Horizon 4 where car don't really mean anything since they are so easily obtainable.

The map is nice, it's big and fun to race around (it can really be reminiscent of Underground 2 map at times), but it's a bit lifeless. I think it would really benefit the games having pedestrian ala the crew and a bit more traffic.

Customizing your car really have an impact on how it drives. You don't need to have a 1000 hp car to feel like you are racing. My BMW is a bit less than 300hp right now and it feels fast already. And while you still need to drift here and there in tight corners to perform well, it's a lot better than in the 2 previous entries which allow for more freedom driving style wise.

The game is really easy on medium, haven't tried hard for now. My only real complains would be on the technical side of things. Even at 60fps on a G-sync screen, the game feels stuttery, and there is some ugly sharpening filter applied that you can't turn off. lastly, My PC is plugged to my LG OLED C7, but I never managed to get this game working in Dolby Vision (which it outputs by default if available and you can't select HDR10 in the menus). Even when I resigned myself playing in HDR, the game would still force DV even though HDR is turned off in-game and in windows. It was totally unplayable on that screen so I switched to my monitor. And the game will sometime play fine for a period of time, and then I don't know why, every "cutscenes" (like the ones on the strating grid or after a race) will play at around 1-2 fps lol. You need to restart the game to fix it.

But overall, I'm having fun playing this, I think it's as close to Undergroud 3 as we are going to get :).

Performance wise, I get 60 fps on Ultra settings at 3440x1440p 120% with a 2080 Super OCed, an i7 7700K at 4.9Ghz and 16 Gigs of RAM.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeesh this game can't even spark enough interest around here for a review thread or an OT (not that its anyone's responsibility, it just usually happens organically). The eurogamer review sealed it up for me - I'm interested, but will wait for a sale.

More importantly though, I'd really just like to see EA stop mismanaging this franchise - NFS HP1/2/2010 are some of my favorite racing games ever, if not my favorite series full stop. And there is absolutely still a market for properly done arcade racers, as evidenced by the expertly done Forza Horizon series.

Oct 27, 2017
so i bought ea access on ps4 to try this out, i think i played 1 mission Wednesday. Finaly have time to sit down and play again and my trial won't start? I awlays redirects me to buy the game. I have 9+ hours left on my trial it says when you try and start it.

Anyone have a fix?

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
I am really liking this game. It is very fun, and has everything i want in a arcade street racer; the visuals, the sound, the handling, the open world, the customization, the activities and races, and a great soundtrack. Very happy with it!

Anyone else think the game looks better (brighter and more colorful) with HDR turned off? or is it just me?

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
so i bought ea access on ps4 to try this out, i think i played 1 mission Wednesday. Finaly have time to sit down and play again and my trial won't start? I awlays redirects me to buy the game. I have 9+ hours left on my trial it says when you try and start it.

Anyone have a fix?

I dont have an answer for you but the same thing happened to me. I didnt even get to try it at all, it was locked as soon as I downloaded it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Tested it out on PS4 and eh, it seems innocent enough. It's not agressively mediocre like the previous NFS from this gen, but still far from what I expect of a franchise with so much history behind it.

Pros:
- Graphically it's very nice
- Handling is better than anything since Hot Pursuit 2010 (which isn't saying much, admittedly)
- True day / night cycle

Cons:
- 30FPS on console, although I don't blame the devs for this one.
- Open World which eh, I still prefer the track-based design of other NFS.
- Drfiting still feels bad.
- Story sucks complete ass

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
Do you have any overclock running on your GPU ? I usually get this error (mostly with frostbite games) when I don't run at stock frequencies. But I have been fine this far with HEAT so I don't know...

Otherwise, I'm really liking this game, the driving is good, customisation is good, can't say about the story cause I'm not that far in, but while it obviously won't revolutionize the medium, it's serviciable and more in line with past NFS (MW, Carbon...). Car selection is good, and progression too. It doesn't feel like a grind, but you stille have to put some work to unlock new parts and cars, and get money to buy them which makes your car have a "sentimental" value, compared to Horizon 4 where car don't really mean anything since they are so easily obtainable.

The map is nice, it's big and fun to race around (it can really be reminiscent of Underground 2 map at times), but it's a bit lifeless. I think it would really benefit the games having pedestrian ala the crew and a bit more traffic.

Customizing your car really have an impact on how it drives. You don't need to have a 1000 hp car to feel like you are racing. My BMW is a bit less than 300hp right now and it feels fast already. And while you still need to drift here and there in tight corners to perform well, it's a lot better than in the 2 previous entries which allow for more freedom driving style wise.

The game is really easy on medium, haven't tried hard for now. My only real complains would be on the technical side of things. Even at 60fps on a G-sync screen, the game feels stuttery, and there is some ugly sharpening filter applied that you can't turn off. lastly, My PC is plugged to my LG OLED C7, but I never managed to get this game working in Dolby Vision (which it outputs by default if available and you can't select HDR10 in the menus). Even when I resigned myself playing in HDR, the game would still force DV even though HDR is turned off in-game and in windows. It was totally unplayable on that screen so I switched to my monitor. And the game will sometime play fine for a period of time, and then I don't know why, every "cutscenes" (like the ones on the strating grid or after a race) will play at around 1-2 fps lol. You need to restart the game to fix it.

But overall, I'm having fun playing this, I think it's as close to Undergroud 3 as we are going to get :).

Performance wise, I get 60 fps on Ultra settings at 3440x1440p 120% with a 2080 Super OCed, an i7 7700K at 4.9Ghz and 16 Gigs of RAM.

I have an asus 2060 dual OC, i was using the OC mode, now im gonna try with a profile i made with stock clocks, i tried another profile lower than stock but not by much and the game isnt crashing but stuttering like crazy and with a over 90% usage on gpu and cpu

And i have a i7-9700k

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just downloaded it on Xbox One X. Just played enough to be able to join friends online, but I must say it's good looking overall. Nice graphics, but have to get used to the gameplay...

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Completely dismissed this initially, but seeing some people I follow on twitter post really positive things about it. Huh.

If I've never played NFS, what is this most similar to? Main racing games I play are Forza Horizon, Forza Motorsport, and Driveclub pretty much.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Completely dismissed this initially, but seeing some people I follow on twitter post really positive things about it. Huh.

If I've never played NFS, what is this most similar to? Main racing games I play are Forza Horizon, Forza Motorsport, and Driveclub pretty much.
Horizon but with Cops.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Somebody please make an OT for this. It is the most deserving in quite a number of iterations.
I was gonna make one but Payback's OT died on the vine. This might be different but I think a mod will have to work their magic here , this already seems like a good place to make an OT. Can this be remade to a OT?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I get that the issue is largely because of car manufacturers being huge weenies that don't want their cars to be shown getting smashed up, but I was practically sold on this game until I saw a "crash."

I would do anything for a new arcade racing game where your car doesn't behave like a bumper car that stops on a dime when it runs into something. It makes the whole experience feel weightless and strips any sense of danger and excitement out of racing. Even Forza Horizon, the best arcade series running at the moment, lacks this.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any favourite characters? Quite enjoying the dynamic between Lucas and Ana, keen to see where it goes later down the story. Plus the police are good villains too.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be the first Need For Speed game I actually will finish since Carbon. Liking it a lot. Most other need for speed games since Carbon, I would play for a few hours and get bored (except for the first Shift; I played that for a bit longer). One thing though. Because the rep points are earned at night, and that's used to unlock cars and upgrades, versus money being earned in the day time races that you then use the stuff you unlock; I actually find myself predominantly focused on just doing night races and story missions. Don't know why you couldn't like earn a bit of the other stuff during the opposite activities.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Playing on PC (via Origin Premier) and it's okay so far. No crashes and mostly staying at 60fps.
I am running a custom setup with a majority of settings on high but a few on med (running on an RTX 2060). Got it natively set at 4K but a resolution scale of 65%.

One thing that bothers me is the random frame drops when a race starts plus driving through the city. I don't see the GPU or CPU hit 100% so I'm not sure what's causing them. I'm also on SSD. I'm guessing the game just needs some better optimization.

Also, Dolby Vision works like 10% of the time on my C7 for this game. It'll sometimes load up and work perfectly but most of the time the entire screen has a horrible pink tint. I decided to put the game on Borderless and flipped the HDR badge in Windows settings. Turned on Auto in game and it looks great but I'm sure this is only HDR10. Would love for a DV fix but the game looks great in HDR10 as is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M. Wallace

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Join a crew and do the challenges, easy money. Just beat the rival time barely so you get credit for winning then replay the challenge and beat the next rival barely and so on. Over a million bucks now.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I get that the issue is largely because of car manufacturers being huge weenies that don't want their cars to be shown getting smashed up, but I was practically sold on this game until I saw a "crash."

I would do anything for a new arcade racing game where your car doesn't behave like a bumper car that stops on a dime when it runs into something. It makes the whole experience feel weightless and strips any sense of danger and excitement out of racing. Even Forza Horizon, the best arcade series running at the moment, lacks this.
This and Toyota's stodginess are why arcade racers with fictional cars need to make a comeback.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually considering buying this at full price, can't believe I am saying that about a NFS, but I am enjoying it more than Pro Street, which was one of my favourite NFS titles.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Got the EA Access stuff.

Really liking it, the controls are great, the customization is good too, and the cops are quite hard.
Only complaint I have is that the game freezes for like 2-3 seconds when the start race menu pops up.
It works great on my i5 / GTX 970 otherwise. And as someone above said, it doesn't feel like th car is skating on rails at any point, the car feels grounded.

Enjoying it a lot. Would honestly pay the price for the game if that freezing glitch gets solved.

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017

Anyone have a fix?
I got the same problem. No idea how to fix it. I still have 8+ hours left.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said I wouldn't but I got the game thanks to this thread. It better be good you guys. I want some Most Wanted 2005 feels here!

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
Is the completion bonus from the Racer Challenges not working?? I had the feeling i didnt get my 7200 REP after completing one, so i tried another Challenge list and made sure to look closely at the REP numbers. when completed, i didnt get the 7400 REP as a completion bonus. Tried another one, completed all tasks, but still didnt the completion bonus REP (9000 this time...)
A damn shame if its glitched or something, because thats about 25K in REP lost/not gotten