• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Hello folks. So Need for Speed has been in quite a dire state the last few years, with Ghost Games at the helm.

They made progressively worse games. Rivals was decent, but only cause it a sloppy and worse copy of Hot Pursuit 2010. Very buggy as well, but hey I'll give it a pass since they only got like 10 months to make it.
Need for Speed 2015 was mediocre. Graphics and sound were sublime, but with the always online (means no pausing) and crappy handling model being the biggest detriments, along with egregious rubber banding and it's fair share of bugs as well.
Need for Speed Payback got even worse. With the rng microtransaction based performance upgrade system, arbitrary car classes, no free roam cops, and that utter cringefest of a story. The handling was marginally better, and off roading was worthy edition, but it was a clear downgrade from even 2015.

Fast forward to now, I decided to try out Heat a couple months back, as I still have some attachment to the IP despite recent blunders, and wanted to see what Ghost would screw up this time. Didn't go in with particularly high expectations.

And... I really ended up enjoying my time with it. Yeah, didn't see that coming.

The developers (and EA too, in the case of MTX) really did get the memo from last time.
- Microtransactions are gone. In place is are traditional performance upgrades, which is the way it should be. Spend credits to get part you want, easy. Lends to a better sense of progression as well, in typical but satisfying rags-to-riches type feeling of getting better.
- The car handling, at least to me, feels super improved. Feels less on rails, and gives more "control", or at least a good illusion of it. I also like slower style of drifting. Keep in mind, car handling is extremely subjective tho. For me, it makes races feel fun again.
- The sense of speed is back. The motion blur, camera work, weather, and various other effects makes it feel exhilarating at high speeds. This was non-existent in the past two games.
- The car class system is eradicated. Thank god. Meaning you can take the same car from a race event to a drift event, and not have to buy a duplicate car for it (the fact that this is an "improvement" just tells a lot about payback)
- The story is tones down the cringe, feels less intrusive than Payback did. It's not good by any means, but it did make me actually hate the antagonist, did feel like an extra motivation to keep playing more.
The game doubles down on the few elements Ghost games were already good at:
- The lineup cars is impressive, it carries over most of Payback's selection and adds a whole bunch more, over 120 now, the best selection in any Need for Speed game, I think. The cars themselves look great too.
- Customization options. Payback was already good with this, but Heat adds even more to the table, with things like engine swaps and exhaust sound tuning. The entire customization is suite is nothing short of amazing.

The biggest thing for me tho, is how day and night is handled.
Instead of a dynamic cycle, you manually chose between Day and Night. Day events are legally sanctioned, and you earn money. The night is "illegal", you do street races and could get chased by the roaming cops. You earn rep points at night. Night works somewhat like NFS Rivals, where you need to bank in the rep points to your safehouse. If you get busted you lose most of the rep, which introduced a nice risk-reward factor to the game. Playing both day and night are needed to progress the story, which honestly, I liked.
There seems to be multiple skyboxes for both day and night, helps it from getting too repetitive looking.

The day doesn't look too shabby, but the night is star of the show here, it looks very impressive graphically. Especially in the city, bathed in neon, with pouring rain, gives the most Underground vibes since the underground days themselves. More so that NFS 2015 infact.

The cops, actually feel like a threat again, after being a joke for the past few titles. Your car actually as a damage meter this time, to up the stakes.

Well, there are quite a few cons as well, and I'd like to go over them.
- This game feels short. I feel like I finished fairly quickly, and was left wanting more. The story just ends out of nowhere too. It lacks an "endgame" loop.
- The map, could be better. The city is fine, but the surrounding plains/hills areas were boring. There were some cool spots tho, like an abandoned raceway and a blatant copy of cape canareval, but there could've been more.
- The cops are just straight up unfair at times. Dodge Chargers should be able to out run koenigseggs. Sometimes they spawn in the most bullshit places as well. Its way better than past games because there's actually some threat, but it could be much improved. Sometimes when you get busted, it feels like its not your fault, which is frustrating.
- The online offerings are apparently not good. I haven't dabbled into it myself, but this what most of the community is saying and I'll take their word for it.
- The soundtrack, is absolute trash. Completely irredeemable. They can do better than Soundcloud rapper tier music.
- It's been four months and no post launch support

Overall though, it I had an awesome time! This is, quite easily, the best Need for Speed title since Hot Pursuit 2010, and actually slips into my top 5 NFS games:
1) Hot Pursuit 2010
2) Underground 2
3) Underground 1
4) Hot Pursuit 2002
5) Heat

In a dire time for arcade racing games, it's good to get a genuinely decent one for once. The only pure arcade games I like this gen, not counting Horizon, is The Crew 1 (which took years of updating to make it decent), and now this game. Compared to many from last gen (Burnout Paradise, Midnight Club LA, Driver San Francisco, Split Second, Blur, Hot Pursuit, the list goes on)

Main reason I made this thread is for awareness, I feel like this game went under the radar, and some people writing it off due to past games (which I don't blame anyone for doing).
I'd like to hear peoples thoughts.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I think I probably only liked Rivals because there wasn't anything else to play at that point.
I did complete the game, so there must've been something good about it.

Haven't tried Heat yet, maybe it'll pull me in.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit basic as in there's not a lot happening in the open world and the progression is a bit sparse, but it's also the most exciting Need For Speed in a long time. The driving model feels a bit stiff at first but it proves to be very exciting in the high speed night races where you have to avoid traffic everywhere. Speaking of night races, the high stakes nature of that side is fantastic, you feel like you really have got tons to lose if you get caught unlike past games. There's also an incredibly deep and satisfying customization system, possibly the best the series has ever seen, not that far from Forza's in terms of options. Soundtrack and storyline are hit and miss but I'm having a great time with the game in short doses.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
From everything I've heard, it sounds like the best NFS of the generation (for whatever little that's worth). I skipped Payback, I'll get Heat when it's like $20 or so.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
Heat is absolutely the best NFS on current generation consoles, the only real issue being lack of endgame content. Otherwise, I had a great time with the game up until hitting the rep cap. Spent a lot of time buying cars not to drive them, but just making them look as sick as possible.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they would revisit the Concept of the Run with the new frostbite engine but yeah Heat is not that bad. It's no stunner but you could totally have a good time with it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I liked it, but it has still a lot of problems.

- The story. I am just over this whole "us illegal street racers are *actually* good guys" angle. No, fuck off, you aren't good guys, you cause accidents all the time. It's also very short, feels like an entire chapter is missing.
- No proper online pvp. How, with such a short storyline, did ghost not think to make it a priority to get proper pvp game modes in? Especially after Payback had speedlists....
- The car selection is indeed fantastic. But.... the unlock system just doesn't work with this many cars. When there were only 30-40 cars, this progression system is fine. Now? You get a 8-9 hour long story and no easy way to do PVP, most people won't ever get to even try the hyper cars because they unlock way too late in the game to bother. This is the reason why Horizon throws cars at you. When you have a massive amount of cars, you need to allow people to get them more frequently, otherwise they'll just be underutilized.
- AWFUL music selection indeed. The way Ghost limits song choices depending on day/night/race/freeroam/garage is absolutely garbage too. There's really only a handful of songs per activity type. Payback already had this issue, can't believe they haven't at least allowed the option to turn this limitation off.
- The cop balance is kind of wack until you reach around 300 rating on your car. Heat level 3 and higher becomes nigh impossible to outrun unless you abuse ramps which cops always fuck up with for some reason.
- Handling is better but still feels lik a Ghost game alright. I think I'm just over NFS and drifting everywhere. Although once you upgrade your car you can kinda tune it to grip handling which feels way better than it did in Payback and 15 at least.
- THE OFF ROAD RACES... why? well, at least they're basically optional here, while they were forced in Payback to complete the story. But holy shit.... the obnoxious camera shake is enough for me to not touch that shit ever again.

It nails the general atmosphere, sense of speed and customization really well. They combined the risk & reward system from Rivals with NFS 15's general gameplay really well, night time is ace, although once you reach max rep there is practically no "reason" to play at night, since money is to be made during the day.

I agree it's the best NFS this gen. But the bar was unfortunately very low.

Last edited:

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It really feels like EA just dropped this onto the market with no real support or marketing. Hopefully they actually go all out next gen, but moving the series back to Criterion (whatever that means) suggests they might go for something very different... Throwing away the good as well as the bad. Maybe not, we'll see.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
It really feels like EA just dropped this onto the market with no real support or marketing. Hopefully they actually go all out next gen, but moving the series back to Criterion (whatever that means) suggests they might go for something very different... Throwing away the good as well as the bad. Maybe not, we'll see.
For whats it worth:

Yeah EA shouldve marketed the game more, I agree.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
It's the best of the 3 latest open world entries but it still has a lot of room to improve - especially when it comes to the story, the next game has to actually give a shit about writing a not trash narrative or just Forza Horizon it because jezus it seems like a waste of money.

Related: This just came out, seems fitting -

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's OK. The handling is too off out of the box, but with enough parts you car start to make something that feels OK in certain settings. I find the most trouble in the smaller, more technical city courses - the line between drifting and trying to grip is too hair trigger for me even why trying to drive in a more grip based, progressive throttle/brake control style. The sprints on wider roads I feel OK with. For me it almost feels like you really should have different cars for different race types out of a matter of convenience.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
It's the best of the 3 latest open world entries but it still has a lot of room to improve - especially when it comes to the story, the next game has to actually give a shit about writing a not trash narrative or just Forza Horizon it because jezus it seems like a waste of money.

Related: This just came out, seems fitting -

That review is very well made, and goes over a lot of same points I go over, and he expains it way better than me lol.

Yeah story in a racing game can actually be good. But Ive only paid one racong game witha good story: Driver San Francisco (no, mw 2005 is not good in this regard).

But still, shows that it can be done.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Best NFS of this gen, cops at night are mad fun

lDTQ2Jr.png

qV0qOjl.png

p2pr89V.png

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I liked it, but it has still a lot of problems.

- The story. I am just over this whole "us illegal street racers are *actually* good guys" angle. No, fuck off, you aren't good guys, you cause accidents all the time. It's also very short, feels like an entire chapter is missing.
- No proper online pvp. How, with such a short storyline, did ghost not think to make it a priority to get proper pvp game modes in? Especially after Payback had speedlists....
- The car selection is indeed fantastic. But.... the unlock system just doesn't work with this many cars. When there were only 30-40 cars, this progression system is fine. Now? You get a 8-9 hour long story and no easy way to do PVP, most people won't ever get to even try the hyper cars because they unlock way too late in the game to bother. This is the reason why Horizon throws cars at you. When you have a massive amount of cars, you need to allow people to get them more frequently, otherwise they'll just be underutilized.
- AWFUL music selection indeed. The way Ghost limits song choices depending on day/night/race/freeroam/garage is absolutely garbage too. There's really only a handful of songs per activity type. Payback already had this issue, can't believe they haven't at least allowed the option to turn this limitation off.
- The cop balance is kind of wack until you reach around 300 rating on your car. Heat level 3 and higher becomes nigh impossible to outrun unless you abuse ramps which cops always fuck up with for some reason.
- Handling is better but still feels lik a Ghost game alright. I think I'm just over NFS and drifting everywhere. Although once you upgrade your car you can kinda tune it to grip handling which feels way better than it did in Payback and 15 at least.
- THE OFF ROAD RACES... why? well, at least they're basically optional here, while they were forced in Payback to complete the story. But holy shit.... the obnoxious camera shake is enough for me to not touch that shit ever again.

It nails the general atmosphere, sense of speed and customization really well. They combined the risk & reward system from Rivals with NFS 15's general gameplay really well, night time is ace, although once you reach max rep there is practically no "reason" to play at night, since money is to be made during the day.

I agree it's the best NFS this gen. But the bar was unfortunately very low.
This is a good post., and I agree with a lot of it.

But I'm gonna defend the car unlock progression because NFS is the only game now which does it "rags to riches" and not gives you bugattis in the first two hours. At least for me, it gives off a better sense of accomplishment, and slowly getting stronger and better as the game goes on. Throwing that out just gets rid of one of the series's strongest points, imo.
Best NFS of this gen, cops at night are mad fun

- pics -
I was too lazy to post pics in this thread, thanks for doing my job for me lol. But yeah, game looks mighty impressive at night.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I always have a heck of a time escaping the police. Someone here suggested jumping by using the ramps placed around the map, but I don't think there's any way to know where those are without just memorizing their locations, is there? Anything else to try? Aside from that, I've enjoyed the game, and wish Ghost would've gotten another crack at it.

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the handling is so bad, I've complained about it on previous NFS threads but it always feels like there a 0.5s-1s delay that the car has when turning or doing any action.

Does anyone have the same issue or is it something that gets better? I played about 3 hours of payback and it never got better and feels the same as this last iteration.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Your cons are like super major cons and make it sound terrible.
I mean, they are major cons. And I wanted to point them out.

But I really think the positives really outweighs those here.

Presumably the reason there hasn't been any post lost launch support so far is probably because the devs are shifting to Critierion. We've only gotten bug fixes and smaller little QoL fixes so far. They did mention the Febuary update will be much bigger, so lets just wait and see on that one. But so far, they've been dropping the ball.

Stuff like the cops (which are still the best since HP2010 despite the problems), the endgame loop, the online are things that can be fixed in updates. If these are huge turnoffs for you, maybe hold off on the game until more substantial updates arrive.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play the game because I can't unlock the BMW M4, the only car I want to drive. I asked a friend how long it takes to unlock and he told me above 5 hours, so I never bothered playing past the intro races. In forza horizon 3 and 4 and just pull up the car shop and buy w/e car I want right away, so I can enjoy the game. Sucks cause I really wanted to drive the M4 in this game..

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
I've been wanting to get back into NFS, for quite some time. I haven't played one since Carbon, and the last racing game I bought was Midnight Club LA.
It's been an itch I haven't scratched in a very long time because of bad word of mouth and greater interest to play other games. I'd like play Heat if I could find it cheap (which should not be too difficult now I imagine).

banter

Jan 12, 2018
It is the best NFS in recent years, but doesn't hold a candle to Most Wanted, Underground 2, and 1. The cops really make me rage, going 240mph in my Countach having a Crown Vic come up and try to pit maneuver me.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
I was JUST thinking about how I hear good things about this. I think NFS 2015 sucked, but I really enjoyed Payback. Heat seems like a Ghost games greatest hits, so I look forward to trying it out soon.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Been excited to play this. At this point I might as well just wait for it to hit the EA Access Vault

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad I got this, but I wish the driving measured up to the setting, style, customization, and narrative. Really great game, but the actual handling, drifting, etc. hold it back for me.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I was JUST thinking about how I hear good things about this. I think NFS 2015 sucked, but I really enjoyed Payback. Heat seems like a Ghost games greatest hits, so I look forward to trying it out soon.

If you enjoyed the black sheep NFS of Ghost Games then you´re gonna love this one :)

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
If you enjoyed the black sheep NFS of Ghost Games then you´re gonna love this one :)

My only real complaints about Payback are the off-road racing being squirrely, and the performance upgrade system just being plain awful. I liked the cheesy action story, and the characters were fun. Overall handling and vehicle selection were nice, and the open world had some good variety.

I think I'll pick this one up sooner than later. I hope the move back to the rebuilt Criterion doesn't cause a hiccup in EA's relatively small racing output.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I have been playing this and I'm still undecided if I really like this game or not.
I certainly prefer Rivals, but it's better than NFS 2015 and Payback (anything is better than Payback).
I have been driving a Mazda RX7 and the handling still doesn't feel quite right to me. I also don't like the tap R2 to drift they have been using.
Cops are much, much fun to run from, but they are nigh impossible even on heat 2 or 3. I am playing on hard so there's probably that too.
Racers AI is inconsistent. They don't follow a line at all, yet they can quicky go far, far away from you. Doesn't help that some of the tracks are downright bad (I played one earlier that had you go through a wall) especially at night.
Overall, it's like they finally made a good skeleton for an amazing NFS game, but there are aspects of it that they need to improve a lot. A solid foundation, if nothing else.
And just in time for the series to go back to Criterion lol.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I have been playing this and I'm still undecided if I really like this game or not.
I certainly prefer Rivals, but it's better than NFS 2015 and Payback (anything is better than Payback).
I have been driving a Mazda RX7 and the handling still doesn't feel quite right to me. I also don't like the tap R2 to drift they have been using.
Cops are much, much fun to run from, but they are nigh impossible even on heat 2 or 3. I am playing on hard so there's probably that too.
Racers AI is inconsistent. They don't follow a line at all, yet they can quicky go far, far away from you. Doesn't help that some of the tracks are downright bad (I played one earlier that had you go through a wall) especially at night.
Overall, it's like they finally made a good skeleton for an amazing NFS game, but there are aspects of it that they need to improve a lot. A solid foundation, if nothing else.
And just in time for the series to go back to Criterion lol.
You can switch it back to the normal control (brake to drift). Thats the first thing in the game.
It would instantly be that much more dope if it had drag racing
There is a drag tire conpund you can buy, but no drag races, wierd. Makes me think that its only a matter of time until theyre added in a update. Lets hope for the best.
Great pics.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
My only real complaints about Payback are the off-road racing being squirrely, and the performance upgrade system just being plain awful. I liked the cheesy action story, and the characters were fun. Overall handling and vehicle selection were nice, and the open world had some good variety.

I think I'll pick this one up sooner than later. I hope the move back to the rebuilt Criterion doesn't cause a hiccup in EA's relatively small racing output.

This one has off-road too but for me is almost non-existent i only played the off-road missions and nothing more. The gameplay off-road is much better in this one too. As someone who didn't really bother with the cards in payback because i always had cash and exchanged lots of tokens and had no problems leveling the cars the "normal" pay with cash is much more streamlined.

Great shots! What are you playing on?

ThisIsBlitz21

Tnks!

This is on PS4 Pro

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Was and still am curious about this. Might have to get EA Access for a month and try it. Was pretty excited for the announcement but the whole thing just lacks unique style which made me not buy it. I was hoping the neon aesthetic would permeate the game but its basically a header it seems.

Was happy to hear it be well received by people who played it though. Made it a "in a few months" title for me.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Was and still am curious about this. Might have to get EA Access for a month and try it. Was pretty excited for the announcement but the whole thing just lacks unique style which made me not buy it. I was hoping the neon aesthetic would permeate the game but its basically a header it seems.

Was happy to hear it be well received by people who played it though. Made it a "in a few months" title for me.

Buying the game for €44 on day one helped seal the deal on this one for me :)

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I have a love/hate relationship with NFS and have played nearly all of them since day dot on the 3DO. But the ones I've enjoyed and thrashed the most was the original 3DO version (that somehow got botched in the PSX and Saturn ports) and the much hated Pro Street. I think I just loved Pro Street because it was a break from what they had been doing. Hot Pursuit 2010 got a lot of play but only because it felt like a Burnout stopgap. I have one from this Gen, might be rivals or the 2015 one, can't remember, but I'm keen to give this Heat a go when it's a bit cheaper.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Thanks - I suppose you're playing on a console? We really need a new gen, these are good but not doing the game any favours. Here's some 21:9 maxed out PC shots for comparison:

0019txjqz.jpg

0022adja5.jpg

00249tkr3.jpg

0026evked.jpg

Awesome photos :)

Yes it´s on console. Ghost´s photomode could be alot better than it is because it kinda seems half assed. No motion blur options and the blur effect on the background looks really pixelated on console.