• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Micknick

Nov 1, 2017
Honestly, personally I'm looking forward to this. I appreciate I'm probably in the minority but I really enjoyed NFS 15, and it's not like the older NFS games didn't have silly stories to an extent. Wasn't a fan of Payback because it felt like at times you had to grind the same races to upgrade your car, but I haven't played it since it first released so maybe they fixed that. Stuff like Forza Horizon 4 is way too open ended just throwing race after race at you, so Need For Speed with a defined start and end via a story is always a welcome change for racing games for me.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Do people actually like the stories of these games? I feel like that's a waste of resources

Of these games specifically. No it's EA and they can't write for shit.

In general. Yes I need want things that contextualise my actions and make the world feel richer. If there is no writing I am just ticking off a checklist of actions and that's not fun

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Why do they keep doing this? All of these games are met with a lukewarm reception. No one gives a shot about the stories and everything about these games come across as holdovers from when F&F was in its prime. Hell, even that series has moved on from street racing culture. Honestly, they need to totally reboot the series and go for a Foza Horizon approach. Ditch the cops and edge. Make it a celebration.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm being honest, i didn't hate the look of that. Combining street racing with circuits and cop chases seems like a nice notion... but I'll temper my expectations given the inclusion of a story and Ghost's history on handling models. Just... ask Criterion for some advice. NFS HP 2010 was basically fucking perfect handling-wise, just keep that going.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Need For Speed: Cringe - The Game;
I just don't get it, why can't they just make a game without stupidly bad dialogue and without trying to make everything look cool for 13 years olds.
Ever since Ghost Games got in charge of NFS, the series is on a downwards spiral; I really miss Black Box and Criterion.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rather amazing how after all these years Ghost Games still insist on having car lineups that are completely out of touch with the culture they're trying to push. No, street racers aren't decking out Lamborghini Countaches, Porsche 911s or Volvo Polestars - we know you guys love unobtainable supercars but they should be absolute endgame rewards, we should be starting with a VW Golf or other school run car.
a VW golf was literally one of the starter cars in Payback

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
I just don't get it, why can't they just make a game without stupidly bad dialogue and without trying to make everything look cool for 13 years olds.
Ever since Ghost Games got in charge of NFS, the series is on a downwards spiral; I really miss Black Box and Criterion.
And I miss this:

Racing all over the globe in exotics without story and nitrous.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
A 5% rep and currency boost is nothing, hell forza horzion offers double base rewards with VIP and you can buy it later.

As to the game itself, I want to see the grip mode in action before even considering buying it because the drift driving physics since the hot pursuit reboot have been ass

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I was just talking about how I wanted a game that looked a lot more like most wanted 2005 and this looks like that so I am excited. I am a bit deflated from being in this thread and reminding me its 2019 and EA so theres MTX and shit. I hope it doesnt ruin the game for being there and the games base balance is fine. That's really lame. The deluxe edition having more cars too is messed up. I really dislike how games work in 2019 lol. Back then games used to be a bit more about just having fun and making a good complete experience. I'll still look out for the gameplay and the reviews. I really want those most wanted vibes back.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Is it always online and gatcha for parts again?

EDIT: After reading through the thread, that answered the card thingy.

Last edited:

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Honestly, personally I'm looking forward to this. I appreciate I'm probably in the minority but I really enjoyed NFS 15, and it's not like the older NFS games didn't have silly stories to an extent. Wasn't a fan of Payback because it felt like at times you had to grind the same races to upgrade your car, but I haven't played it since it first released so maybe they fixed that. Stuff like Forza Horizon 4 is way too open ended just throwing race after race at you, so Need For Speed with a defined start and end via a story is always a welcome change for racing games for me.
THANK YOU! These are my exact feelings

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, BlackBox NFS careers were just as cringe.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, BlackBox NFS careers were just as cringe.

They were self aware.

There was an earnestness to it that made it charming.

The recent Ghost stuff has that corporate mandated EA gloss that I can't fucking stand. It's trying to recapture what Blackbox did without the charm.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this.

A few things confirmed on Reddit:

1. No loot boxes
2. No surprise mechanics
3. Post paid DLC car packs
4. Post paid DLC time-save pack (shows all collectibles on map)

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Need For Speed *2015* was the last NFS game I played. Never play Payback because it looks kinda generic and possibly boring for me to play, and also after hearing about that bad card system, it immediately turned me off.

The thing that I like from 2015 is the customization; it is so great. The gameplay is alright though and the graphics/visuals are pretty stunning, which I think it looks better than Payback. The "always" online kinda sucks and I wish it will never come back in future NFS game.

After watching this Heat trailer, it seems almost like a follow up of 2015 version? With almost the same visual style and possibly gameplay, but guess I will look forward for more info of this game.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this.

A few things confirmed on Reddit:

1. No loot boxes
2. No surprise mechanics
3. Post paid DLC car packs
4. Post paid DLC time-save pack (shows all collectibles on map)
They are taking the Forza Horizon approach to monetisation which is a good sign. Shows they are learning their lessons from the previous game.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
That didn't do anything for me. That zoom out shot near the end going through day and night was super cool though.

Big takeaway is that it's so weird to see Polestar featured so heavily in this trailer and be in the key art with... the C7 'vette? Strange all around. I guess Volvo/Polestar paid more than Chevy.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Will we be able to customize our driver in this? Always thought this was a missed opportunity.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, this is really not my thing. I think I threw up a little in my mouth watching that video.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll pick this up as long as there aren't any major red flags. I really need my arcade racing fix and NFS is the only real game in town on PS4. It sucks that Forza Horizon is the only Xbox exclusive I want to play and the only Sim racer I want is a proper Gran Turismo.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
There's not much in the way of sim arcade racers on PS4 so I'm looking forward to this. It might scratch that Forza Horizon itch.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Kinda eehh on everything but the aesthetic. If they lean into the Vice/80s vibe more (and the soundtrack has a bunch of retrowave bangers) I'm in.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'll say I'm cautiously optimistic. The game theoretically being a mix of Prostreet and Underground/2015 is why I want to check it out. I hope the handling is a good as... Hot Pursuit 2010, I suppose. That was the last NFS I really enjoyed.

And the aesthetic could be good, if they go hard with the neon pseudo 80's theme. But if a Swedish developer won't give me any good retrowave music in their retrowave game I'll be very disappointed.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
And I miss this:

Racing all over the globe in exotics without story and nitrous.

This. So much this. I'm tired of urban environments and lame attempts at being edgy. I'd much prefer they go back to their roots. NFS3-5 were the best games in the series.

Also, adding health bars to cars was really stupid. In previous games, you had to be physically stopped for a certain duration in order to be busted. Now you just get bumped repeatedly until your car flips over.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Sometimes I feel like the people who waxing about Undergound didn't play 2015 which was pretty much Underground 3. Wasn't perfect, but not a mistep except for always online.

Rather amazing how after all these years Ghost Games still insist on having car lineups that are completely out of touch with the culture they're trying to push. No, street racers aren't decking out Lamborghini Countaches, Porsche 911s or Volvo Polestars - we know you guys love unobtainable supercars but they should be absolute endgame rewards, we should be starting with a VW Golf or other school run car.
Hmm I can't say I agree with that. Rivals wasn't about street racing culture (its was classic NFS exotic themed), and neither was Payback (heist era Fast&Furious themed), so their line ups make sense. 2015 had:

Old Hondas (civic, s2000, RSX, classic NSX)
Old Nissans (180sx, 240z, Silvia, several eras of skylines, GTR)
Toyotas (new & old 86, supra)
Old Mazdas (Miata, RX-7)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo (it's also the classic version, VIII, can't have street racer without one of these)
Subura WRX Sti (same goes for this, should have been the same era as the Evo though)
Ford Mustang (many eras, probably too many)
Chevy Corvette/Camero (too bad no 60s-70s versions)
Dodge Challenger(also too bad not the classic version)
VW Golf (you're being unfair, this is in here)
Porsche 911 (70s version, I'd argue it is a street racing icon, also Wangan Midnight)
BMW M3 (multiple eras)

The only cars that don't "fit" are the supers, 4 lambos, 2 Ferraris (F40 is especially a weird choice), a Lotus, AMG GT, McLaren 570s, and way too many 911s. But it's understandable because they want to attract a certain crowd who likes exotics no matter what.

The Polestar and all the exotics in the new trailer are pretty out of place though, I agree.

Exactly, I loved playing through Underground 2 with a souped up version of my Focus ZX3. That made the game that much more fun to me. The lack of starter cars in games built on "streetrace culture" is a big problem. It's literally the reason I've yet to play driveclub despite buying it shortly after getting my PS4 Pro. I don't like the car options. I want to fix up a regular assed car.
In 2015, which was absolutely a a streetrace culture game, you had the option to start with a civic, 80s 'stang, or a brz. The Golf is also in here and there's even a beater Volvo tank for no reason. They are viable to be played for the entire game when fully upgraded.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Thought the trailer was really good and will definitely be pre ordering. Hopefully they have learned from some of the mistakes made with payback. Hyped!

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Is this going to be a Hot Pursuit 2010 beater?

I doubt it, but it looks better than Payback anyway.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I hope its good, but I just want Burnout back... Trailer hasn't sold me at all, need gameplay.

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
It's looks... alright. If the day / night element have some meaningful risk / reward aspect to it, then it's could be interesting.

But...

Burnout. FlatOut. Split/Second. Outrun. Project Gotham Racing.

They are all left out this generation. How sad is that?