• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Rather amazing how after all these years Ghost Games still insist on having car lineups that are completely out of touch with the culture they're trying to push. No, street racers aren't decking out Lamborghini Countaches, Porsche 911s or Volvo Polestars - we know you guys love unobtainable supercars but they should be absolute endgame rewards, we should be starting with a VW Golf or other school run car.
Sometimes I feel like the people who waxing about Undergound didn't play 2015 which was pretty much Underground 3. Wasn't perfect, but not a mistep except for always online.

Hmm I can't say I agree with that. Rivals wasn't about street racing culture (its was classic NFS exotic themed), and neither was Payback (heist era Fast&Furious themed), so their line ups make sense. 2015 had:

Old Hondas (civic, s2000, RSX, classic NSX)
Old Nissans (180sx, 240z, Silvia, several eras of skylines, GTR)
Toyotas (new & old 86, supra)
Old Mazdas (Miata, RX-7)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo (it's also the classic version, VIII, can't have street racer without one of these)
Subura WRX Sti (same goes for this, should have been the same era as the Evo though)
Ford Mustang (many eras, probably too many)
Chevy Corvette/Camero (too bad no 60s-70s versions)
Dodge Challenger(also too bad not the classic version)
VW Golf (you're being unfair, this is in here)
Porsche 911 (70s version, I'd argue it is a street racing icon, also Wangan Midnight)
BMW M3 (multiple eras)

The only cars that don't "fit" are the supers, 4 lambos, 2 Ferraris (F40 is especially a weird choice), a Lotus, AMG GT, McLaren 570s, and way too many 911s. But it's understandable because they want to attract a certain crowd who likes exotics no matter what.

The Polestar and all the exotics in the new trailer are pretty out of place though, I agree.

In 2015, which was absolutely a a streetrace culture game, you had the option to start with a civic, 80s 'stang, or a brz. The Golf is also in here and there's even a beater Volvo tank for no reason. They are viable to be played for the entire game when fully upgraded.
2015 was a garbage game though. It wasn't at all fun to play and the upgrade path was incredibly dumb.

I bought it on PS4 near launch and thought it would be Underground 3, it most definitely is not remotely that. Underground games felt like you were steering controlled chaos. That was always the best thing about Black Box era NFS games. They didn't try to toe the line between arcade and racing sim, they were unapologetically arcade racers. Ghost needs to go back and play the Black Box catalog and take pointers.

2015 is a boring slog with no soul...

Last edited:

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up NFS Underground 2 a couple weeks back on the original Xbox, and after this trailer dropped yesterday, I played it for the first time last night. I immediately got sucked in and played for like an hour without realizing it. It's such a basic game, but it does what it sets out to do pretty well. I'm surprised by how many things you can customize, too. You can even dyno your car ffs. And there's practically no story to speak of in that one, so this trailer makes me wonder why they can't just go back to basics and make something they know is fun, then build on it from there.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kyza Evo X pre-order bonus

ey3hjey02lg31.jpg

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
2015 was a garbage game though. It wasn't at all fun to play and the upgrade path was incredibly dumb.

I bought it on PS4 near launch and thought it would be Underground 3, it most definitely is not remotely that. Underground games felt like you were steering controlled chaos. That was always the best thing about Black Box era NFS games. They didn't try to toe the line between arcade and racing sim, they were unapologetically arcade racers. Ghost needs to go back and play the Black Box catalog and take pointers.

I agree but there was NOTHING sim-like in 2015.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
This announcement got me thinking...

How many NFS did we have this gen? I'm sure at least 3, and none of them were successful. Yikes.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
idk this looks gloriously cringe story wise. I never played Payback and 2015 was too nice with the positive messages and shit.

I hope it plays better than that game, I'd be willing to try this after some impressions and a price drop.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I SAID RIGHT NOW

Open-world racers have only be done well by a few studios like Playground Games, the NFS worlds just don't excite me. My favourite NFS was Underground that was focused on circuits or sprints which I vastly preferred.

Oh, and split-screen racing is more essential for me these days, outside of series that I deeply enjoy 1 player like Wipeout. I'm willing (And so are many others) to take the image quality hit if it means I can enjoy a good game with my friends next me.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A remastered underground would be so good. It was designed to be open world so they actually achieving it would be great. The track design was amazing

Feb 8, 2018
If I'm being honest, i didn't hate the look of that. Combining street racing with circuits and cop chases seems like a nice notion... but I'll temper my expectations given the inclusion of a story and Ghost's history on handling models. Just... ask Criterion for some advice. NFS HP 2010 was basically fucking perfect handling-wise, just keep that going.

The reveal would be a lot more refreshing if this gen didn't have multiple NFS, Forza Horzions and The Crew's already (which are all based on open worlds for those who don't know). I read about TDU 3 rumours as well earlier in the year. I'd have a much easier time ignoring the story/character aspect without all the other titles around. Either they nail Heat as a Open world racer where it matters or they don't or it'll just end up average/mediocore. For now I don't really care about it and i'm not surpised by that fact.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
It's looks... alright. If the day / night element have some meaningful risk / reward aspect to it, then it's could be interesting.

But...

Burnout. FlatOut. Split/Second. Outrun. Project Gotham Racing.

They are all left out this generation. How sad is that?

Wreckfest releases this month on consoles.

I really don't care about the stories in racing games so the NFS 2015 and Payback were kinda there and i'm sure this will be the same. If there's one more thing to love about Hot Pursuit 2010 and Most Wanted 2012 it's the racer vs cop aspect of the game (more on Hot Pursuit).

Day races on tracks vs night races on the streets with cops on your tale sounds good to me. Just hope the handling feels better than the other Ghost games.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017

The Undergound games had an engrossing campaign, like many of Blackbox's games had, which none of the Ghost games had. That's the biggest difference to me and the biggest strength of the Underground games. Customization and car selection were also much better.

Otherwise I can't say I was ever a huge fan of Black Box's kinda sluggish grippy driving model. Burnout and Midnight Club at the same time did it much better, cars had grip but you could also powerslide in a heavy way, and the sense of speed was much better. The Ghost games NFS games are too slippery, oversimplified, and weightless, but they're most definitely not simcade.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Based on the trailer the story seems to be cheesy as fuck while simultaneously taking itself way too seriously. I just want a simple rags to riches story in my racing game. I don't need insufferable characters and over the top plotlines. Midnight Club: LA had the perfect amount of story in it. It wasn't great but it didn't get in the way. Keep it simple.

I like the setting though. Hopefully the gameplay is a lot better than the last few NfS games at the very least.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

I really don't care about the stories in racing games so the NFS 2015 and Payback were kinda there and i'm sure this will be the same. If there's one more thing to love about Hot Pursuit 2010 and Most Wanted 2012 it's the racer vs cop aspect of the game (more on Hot Pursuit).

Day races on tracks vs night races on the streets with cops on your tale sounds good to me. Just hope the handling feels better than the other Ghost games.

Wreckfest is a huge letdown after flatout. Its extremely boring and has some of the most uninspired and uninteresting tracks/racing ive seen

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited. They stated the speed cards are gone and we now earn upgrade parts by winning races. You get to choose what time of day you want to play in at your garage, and free roam cops are back. Payback was pretty terrible imo but I have to admit the customization in it was good, and this one supposedly has even more customization than payback.

Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm excited. They stated the speed cards are gone and we know earn upgrade parts by winning races. You get to choose what time of day you want to play in at your garage, and free roam cops are back. Payback was pretty terrible imo but I have to admit the customization in it was good, and this one supposedly has even more customization than payback.
It's funny Payback was held back because no one cared about the story and the speedcards were just shit. That being said, it became a good game but it could have been greater.

sQr

Jun 28, 2019

Wrechfest seems like an alright Flatout spiritual successor, but I'm afraid the console ports will be interesting. I "know" a developer, who worked on it and he said that the complette physics engine is only using one thread of the CPU. Which is ridiculous. Maybe the Xbox One X verison gonna be acceptable. : |

Travalore

Jul 14, 2019
So is Need for Speed 2015 generally considered better than Payback then? Haven't played either of them yet so thinking I might give at least one a try.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like the same old generic street gangsta crap on the previous bad nfs games...

Which ones exactly?

• Payback - Not street gangstas
  • 2015 - Not street gangstas (probably the most "in" the car culture version of NFS but still bad)
  • Rivals - Not street gangstas
  • Most Wanted 12 - Not street gangstas
  • The Run - we dont talk about this game
  • Shift 2 - Not street gangstas
  • Hot Pursuit 10 - Probably the best racing game of last gen.
  • Shift - Not street gangstas
  • Undercover - finally some street gangstas....but doesnt have anywhere near the same feel as this game.
  • Pro Street - Not street gangastas
  • Carbon - was a decent sequel to Most Wanted
  • Most Wanted - The Icon not a gangsta is sight.
  • Underground 2 - Basically the fast and the furious
  • Underground - Brooke Burke was in this...the cringe was what we wanted.

No gangstas....no real story in the pre-Underground era so I wont bother listing them.

So which "bad" Need for Speeds are you actually talking about.
Because, the truly bad ones Payback, The Run and 2015 all didnt have gangstas and looked/sounded very different to this game.
Undercover was about an undercover cop so yeah it had street gangs or whatever....but theres no way this and Undercover shared anything style wise.

So please tell me which "same old generic street gangsta crap on the previous bad nfs" are you actually talking about?

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched the trailer a few times now and I think what they were trying to do is work the yelling police officer into the start of the song. I think...

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I got NFS Rivals for under 5 dollars yeara ago and olayed about 1 hour of it, enough of that driving model. EA love to reboot the NFS series and making it look like exactly the previous games lol

I like the idea of the game though, more interested in the legal races (daytime).

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm interested in this. Forza Horizon 4 is a fantastic driving game, but a poor racing game IMO. The progression system makes none of the races significant - your placement literally does not matter at all. I also don't like how the rewind mechanic factors into races, and makes it too easy to always just rewind at will to win every race. That takes away all the excitement and tension.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in this. Forza Horizon 4 is a fantastic driving game, but a poor racing game IMO. The progression system makes none of the races significant - your placement literally does not matter at all. I also don't like how the rewind mechanic factors into races, and makes it too easy to always just rewind at will to win every race. That takes away all the excitement and tension.

Just turn rewind off?

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just turn rewind off?

The racing is built with using the 'rewind' feature in mind (needing to move through narrow checkpoint flags, for example). It's way too frustrating turned off. So you can either easily win by rewinding throughout the race (just not a fun mechanic IMO) or turn it off, miss a checkpoint, and then the whole race is thrown away.

That said, the even bigger issue with the racing is definitely the awful progression system. Worst I have ever seen.

Good thing the driving, exploring, and many other events (PR stunts, mini stories, collectibles, etc.) are so damn good to make up for the racing.

Last edited:

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Wreckfest is a huge letdown after flatout. Its extremely boring and has some of the most uninspired and uninteresting tracks/racing ive seen

Never played the PC version but i was a huge fan of the Flatout 1/2 and UC on the 360 so i was hoping for this to become something like Flatout.

Wrechfest seems like an alright Flatout spiritual successor, but I'm afraid the console ports will be interesting. I "know" a developer, who worked on it and he said that the complette physics engine is only using one thread of the CPU. Which is ridiculous. Maybe the Xbox One X verison gonna be acceptable. : |

This consoles were never going to run the game like the PC version runs so Bugbear might have tweaked the game a lot to run on PS4/X1

What i find weird is that the game launches next Tuesday and there´s no previews/marketing around this launch. This after being delayed from a November release.