• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Published by: EA
Developed by:
Ghost Games
Release Date: November 8, 2019

Welcome to FloridaPalm City, a beach spot hot spot in both legal street racing and illegal street racing that is host to the Speedhunters Showdown where the best drivers in the nation unite for legal racing...as well as a hodgepodge of illegal racing at nighttime and hunted by cops.

Hustle All Day, Risk It All at Night

giphy.gif

During the day, players earn bank from participating in events hosted by the Speedhunters Showdown.
During the night, players earn rep from participating in illicit street racing events and engaging with the PCPD.
Bank earned can be used to purchase cars, improve car performance with parts, and modify cars through visual customisation.
Rep earned can be used to unlock cars and progress up in the world.
Driving at night will result in the player being noticed by the PCPD's task force and will result in their vehicle being allocated a heat level. Reaching higher heat levels from engaging with the police will act as a multiplier for earned rep during the current night session, and can only be earned by reaching a safehouse or owned garage.
Being busted by the PCPD will end the player's current night session and they will only be rewarded their earned rep without any multiplier.

Cops and Hot Pursuits are Back

200.webp

Pursuits in Palm City can take place during day or night, but the PCPD's response to a pursuit differs depending on the time period. Players earn rep from participating in pursuits, with great amounts offered during night than day.
Day time pursuits limit the PCPD's available tactics, their ability to escalate a pursuit, and their options for apprehending a street racer.
Night time is handled by a task force lead by Lieutenant Mercer and is funded by the PCPD. The tactics, resources, and options by the task force is not limited, with Lt. Mercer authorizing any force required, as they're not held to the same discretion as their day time patrolling officers.

Police will not intervene with a sanctioned day event, but will step in to any night time events, and will continue to pursue any street racers after the event has ended.
Both players and PCPD units have a health bar, which will indicate the structural integrity of their vehicle. Any vehicle that completely depletes their strength bar will 'wreck'; wrecked police units will leave a pursuit, but a wrecked player will be busted.

Customizing your Car and Beyond.

tumblr_pw8omopQJg1qgojgxo7_500.gifv

Customzation is deeper than ever (even Ferrari's can get customized!) and now, you to do almost everything up to the exhaust tuning which give your ride the roar it needs to set it apart. You can also do engine swaps to up your car from a weak 180 hp to a 800+ hp monster. Speedcards are gone and now are back to the simple performance parts you can unlock with your rep level. You can also change your chassis level from a grippy race car to a drift car that can turn the streets into butter. Brake to drift has also been changed so drifting in races is no longer a must to win races.

You can also customize your avatar, for the first time in Need for Speed, your avatar can be changed from the head to the shoes.

giphy.gif

Turn the key, Burn all Limits.

Reviews:
IGN 8/10
GamesRadar + 3.5/5
USGamer + 3/5

Trailers:

Last edited:

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impressions thread convinced me to buy, but I'll raise hell if it actually blows. Reviews are looking good though.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OP, mreddie

one point though:

is a bit misrepresentative. Their system is avoid, no recommendation, recommended or essential. NFSH got no recommendation.

" So it's a pleasant surprise to discover that this is easily Ghost Games' best outing since its debut with Rivals, that no-frills launch speaking to a wider, stripped-back philosophy that's quicker to get to the core appeal of Need for Speed than recent efforts. "

Still read pretty positive overall.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
" So it's a pleasant surprise to discover that this is easily Ghost Games' best outing since its debut with Rivals, that no-frills launch speaking to a wider, stripped-back philosophy that's quicker to get to the core appeal of Need for Speed than recent efforts. "

Still read pretty positive overall.

I don't disagree but what they're mainly saying is that ghost has improved compared to prior entries. I just thought it was notable that they didn't actually recommend the game.

im still interested but EG's the review source I find most reliable so I was disappointed by it.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Played the first 10 hours via EA Access and handling feels incredibly stiff and not fun at all after Forza Horizon series. NFS 2015 driving was much better.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
10 plus hours into it, I love it. Night racing in this is fantastic. The sense of speed is also amazing and I like the way the cars handle. Easily the best NFS since 2012.

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody else got the problem, that the game says I can still play 8+ hours on EA access, but then only sends me to the PS Store to buy it? No way to start the game for me.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know people will pile in, fuck EA, fuck NFS, heck, I wanted to dislike it.

But you know what, it's actually a very good game, with a great gameplay loop, and some unique features.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
i wrote this in the impressions thread, not knowing we had an OT now lol:

Is the completion bonus from the Racer Challenges not working?? I had the feeling i didnt get my 7200 REP after completing one, so i tried another Challenge list and made sure to look closely at the REP numbers. when completed, i didnt get the 7400 REP as a completion bonus. Tried another one, completed all tasks, but still didnt get the completion bonus REP (9000 this time...)
A damn shame if its glitched or something, because thats about 25K in REP lost/not gotten

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The game is definitely growing on me. Once you start getting faster cars or start really upgrading your shitbox, the sense of speed becomes incredible.
Also ngl, I'm feeling the road network to be vastly superior to FH4's tarmac roads. Just generally more fun routes.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I will be getting this game at Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday. (do you guys think there's a chance it'll be on sale on Cyber Monday?)

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So far I have really been enjoying this NFS iteration, remarkably fun and has decent handling too (finally, after the abomination that was 2015's handling and Payback's half-step), feels great to drive around corners fast with a world map that works well with its physics model :)

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
You know what? This is a perfectly fine game. The story isn't overbearing as it has been in some recent titles, and I think the day/night mechanic is a solid hook. Those night sessions have a real tension to them, though I'm unclear what you actually lose for being busted.

Also, the game does a great job of giving a sense of speed, compared to something like Forza Horizon.

i wrote this in the impressions thread, not knowing we had an OT now lol:

Is the completion bonus from the Racer Challenges not working?? I had the feeling i didnt get my 7200 REP after completing one, so i tried another Challenge list and made sure to look closely at the REP numbers. when completed, i didnt get the 7400 REP as a completion bonus. Tried another one, completed all tasks, but still didnt get the completion bonus REP (9000 this time...)
A damn shame if its glitched or something, because thats about 25K in REP lost/not gotten
I believe you have to go back to a garage in order to collect your rewards.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
You know what? This is a perfectly fine game. The story isn't overbearing as it has been in some recent titles, and I think the day/night mechanic is a solid hook. Those night sessions have a real tension to them, though I'm unclear what you actually lose for being busted.
You just lose some cash and your rep multiplier for getting busted at night

Feb 8, 2018
So far I have really been enjoying this NFS iteration, remarkably fun and has decent handling too (finally, after the abomination that was 2015's handling and Payback's half-step), feels great to drive around corners fast with a world map that works well with its physics model :)

I feel like the focus on the overall nice looking visual style is bigger than gameplay. The problem is this isn't burnout and I've never understood the reason why licensed car would handle that way and fail to find a reason why I want to invest time in tuning a car for that type of gameplay. The original Most Wanted (approximately 14 years old) can look more exciting than that even though the chase cam itself is probably worse.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
OT title I already kinda regretting but I had no idea what to call it, "Click on the OT right now...I SAID RIGHT NOW!"

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Anyone playing it on One X having crashes? I installed on my PC and got a crash on just my third race, could happily chill on the couch and play it on Xbone instead.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying the further impressions here, keep em comin folks. I suspect I'm going to enjoy this a lot once I grab it.

OT title I already kinda regretting but I had no idea what to call it, "Click on the OT right now...I SAID RIGHT NOW!"

You could always request a thread title change by reporting your post?

Need for Speed: Heat |OT| Ghost Bustin'
Need for Speed: Heat |OT| The Ghost of NFS Past

lol I dunno

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Glad we got an OT. Loving this game on PC. I run into some weird frame drops but overall its pretty fun, especially as you get further into it.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I disliked it at first. The empty city threw me off but the longer I play the more I'm enjoying it. Give it a chance, buy better cars, explore the maps and you'll find a fun arcade racer. It can also look stunning, especially at night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Already mentioned in the previous thread but no one bothered to reply. Back of the box mentions "in game purchases" and PEGI´s website too.

But for now it does not feature in game purchases. Not that i´m aware.
It reportedly the timesavers pack but that already has everyone shifty looking at them, it'll likely be avatar stuff. The only DLC they confirmed is car packs.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really tempted to buy the game via Cdkeys right now. it's $43 atm. Should I just get it or just wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday?