• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I'm enjoying the game but it is a fairly redundant release overall with very little new to offer. It's mostly a case of Ghost Games fixing the mistakes of the past 2 games over the course of 4 years. While doing so, they've managed to make more of a throwback of many parts of NFS over the course of its history post-2003, but struggling to find relevance today.

Thing is, it's a good game but it doesn't do anything particularly great. The visual customization is great, but limited across different cars, especially no major updates to existing cars over the past 4 years. Handling is slightly improved, but the garbage off-roading is still there, as are some fairly brand track designs with corner cutting. The day/night focus is very clever but once you've reached max-rep, racing at night is kind of pointless as you earn money only during the day, bar story missions. Speaking of story, it's not cringey but it gets in the way often with its mission structure, instead of just going up a blacklist or finishing actual races dotted across the world.

There are clear problems too like the world feeling pretty lifeless during the day with extremely limited traffic. It makes sense at night but ironically, I feel like there's more traffic at night. The side activities are extremely dated and the actual online PVP isn't there. You'll just have to play with friends in PVE as randoms rarely want to join your races. I also feel like the police chases are deliberately made the way it is to force you to bank your rep or get busted. Which is fine, but the cops are absolutely brutal and unlike Rivals, no real way to fight them back. Only resist them until you eventually run out of repairs.

Generally speaking, this is Ghost Games best NFS since 2013, and that's 6 years ago. It's also the best NFS since Hot Pursuit 2010. It's just nothing special to write home about and definitely a bargain bin game, even if you're thirsty for a racing game, especially on the PS4. We should expect more and better at $60 in today's market and this is what we should've gotten in 2015's reboot. While this is a right step towards something better for the series future, given the lack of marketing and general lukewarm reception, it may be the last NFS we see in a while. At least it's a half decent game and the series didn't go into ice with Payback.

Oct 29, 2017
This game certainly has its hooks in me. I can't stop playing it. Every day since Friday. Most I've played a NFS game since Most Wanted, which feels like a lifetime ago. Having a great fun time with it. Night and day from Payback (see what I did there lol), and it really helps that the presentation is so slick.

Tunned

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a fan of the NFS series from The Need For Speed on the PSX. After the abominations that was Hot Pursuit 2010 (keep Ridge Racer drifting in Ridge Racer and the annoying takedown cams in Burnout), I some what enjoyed Rivals and Payback, but skipped 2015 because of the terrible handling.

Heat although rough around the edges, I'm playing on PC, once you unlock all the handling mods, it is a great game. I'm loving the gameplay loop, the cop chases, the customisation, and the fact that the game does not throw cars at you like Forza Horizon.

It's by far the best NFS since Most Wanted 2005, and if you are an old school NFS fan like me, you should really give Heat a try. A solid 8/10 for me, well done Ghost!

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hit rep 10 on the EA access trial, which is the cap, just need to decide if I like it enough to warrant the current asking price, or wait till it hits Access vault.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Everything in the OP sounds really good to me. I liked NFS 2015 but eventually dropped it due to horrendous loading times, and skipped Payback, so I'm interested in trying this one. The one NFS I really completed was Carbon on X360, it was awesome and I never see it mentioned anywhere here.

I have EA Access Basic, can I still get the 10h trial now that the game is released ?

Groundking

Oct 31, 2017
8320v3icjwx31.jpg

Finished my first ride yesterday, pretty happy with how this came out. It's annoying that they still haven't added decal grouping and saving of custom decals to the editor, but it's still the best edditor compared to Froza and co imo.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take my impressions with a pinch of salt. For one, I am not a fan of racing games. I repeat I am not a fan of racing games. I am a Need for Speed fan solely because of the car customization and cop pursuits. My favorite game in the whole series is Most Wanted 2005. So a lot of what people don't want (story, open world, etc) are things that I absolutely need to enjoy myself. I also don't care much about handling or realism in general.

So far, this game rocks and ticks all the boxes I needed. The story is legit fun (Ana is good character yo!), the racing itself feels great, the city is a joy to explore for trinkets/collectibles, and the cop chases....hnnnng. So brutal and hard. I love it. I love how your car has a health bar now. Makes the pursuits even more epic. Love the risk and reward system of banking your rep vs continuing the night and risking 4 cops on you all at once with one repair left in the tank.

I do have one big problem though. The crashes. The game consistantly crashes all the goddamn time. It's ridiculous.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Well I'll be damned, Need for Speed is good again? Looks like I'll finally be giving EA some money again after many years.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love the risk and reward system of banking your rep vs continuing the night and risking 4 cops on you all at once with one repair left in the tank.

The dichotomy of the day/night system is really well thought out, I am surprised no one else has thought of doing it yet, it works really well.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
For PC peeps here - don't forget you can sign up for EA Access Premier and get both NFS and SW later this week for 1/5 of a full priced game, and can cancel at any time. NFS is legitimately good, SW is apparently an awesome game and there's plenty in the Access Premier vault (including gems like A Plague Tale: Innocence, so yeah, well worth it.

Groundking

Oct 31, 2017
Take my impressions with a pinch of salt. For one, I am not a fan of racing games. I repeat I am not a fan of racing games. I am a Need for Speed fan solely because of the car customization and cop pursuits. My favorite game in the whole series is Most Wanted 2005. So a lot of what people don't want (story, open world, etc) are things that I absolutely need to enjoy myself. I also don't care much about handling or realism in general.

So far, this game rocks and ticks all the boxes I needed. The story is legit fun (Ana is good character yo!), the racing itself feels great, the city is a joy to explore for trinkets/collectibles, and the cop chases....hnnnng. So brutal and hard. I love it. I love how your car has a health bar now. Makes the pursuits even more epic. Love the risk and reward system of banking your rep vs continuing the night and risking 4 cops on you all at once with one repair left in the tank.

I do have one big problem though. The crashes. The game consistantly crashes all the goddamn time. It's ridiculous.

In my experience the crashes get a lot better once you get past the first half dozen or so races day/night. I think it only crashed on me once yesterday in about 5 or 6 hours play.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of dismissed Heat after the past few outings, but this video is making me reconsider:

Sense of speed is incredible, and it looks gorgeous. Are there many cars that get this crazy fast or just the Huracan? 4.48 is where the speed starts.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who wants to check out the visual customisation options on (all*) of the cars without buying the game, the mobile app NFS Heat Studio is worth a try

(* there is some mobile BS in the form of secret unlockables from using the app, and crate drops, but no MTX's as far as I can see)

Oct 25, 2017
Need this in my veins. It's been too long since an NFS game was even passably good.

Anyone who wants to check out the visual customisation options on (all*) of the cars without buying the game, the mobile app NFS Heat Studio is worth a try

(* there is some mobile BS in the form of secret unlockables from using the app, and crate drops, but no MTX's as far as I can see)

Can you import designs from the app to the game?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Reviews and impressions sound like the IP is getting back on track (no pun intended). NFS 2015 was alright and I skipped Payback so definitely picking this up, I miss the series.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I'll change it to the USGamer one.

giphy.gif

I disliked it at first. The empty city threw me off but the longer I play the more I'm enjoying it. Give it a chance, buy better cars, explore the maps and you'll find a fun arcade racer. It can also look stunning, especially at night.

My first impression was really bad, because the starting cars handle poorly until you get above the basic parts level.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Generally speaking, this is Ghost Games best NFS since 2013, and that's 6 years ago. It's also the best NFS since Hot Pursuit 2010. It's just nothing special to write home about and definitely a bargain bin game, even if you're thirsty for a racing game, especially on the PS4. We should expect more and better at $60 in today's market and this is what we should've gotten in 2015's reboot. While this is a right step towards something better for the series future, given the lack of marketing and general lukewarm reception, it may be the last NFS we see in a while. At least it's a half decent game and the series didn't go into ice with Payback.
It would blow since the last 2 were hampered by EAs fuckups. Hope this outsells Payback and they have the blueprint to get the IP on even ground again.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Kind of dismissed Heat after the past few outings, but this video is making me reconsider:

Sense of speed is incredible, and it looks gorgeous. Are there many cars that get this crazy fast or just the Huracan? 4.48 is where the speed starts.

This literally sold me and the most-wanted comparisons... All the daytime-videos turned me off hard since it looked sterile but yeh did this for me

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
i wrote this in the impressions thread, not knowing we had an OT now lol:

Is the completion bonus from the Racer Challenges not working?? I had the feeling i didnt get my 7200 REP after completing one, so i tried another Challenge list and made sure to look closely at the REP numbers. when completed, i didnt get the 7400 REP as a completion bonus. Tried another one, completed all tasks, but still didnt get the completion bonus REP (9000 this time...)
A damn shame if its glitched or something, because thats about 25K in REP lost/not gotten

Never mind, i am stupid....
I only just noticed you dont get REP as a completion bonus for the Racer Challenge at night...... you get money....

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
We need SunhiLegend to sell this game's graphics, lol. It's really good looking, even during day time to be honest. There's different ToDs and the starting race is by far during the worst looking one. Everything else is awesome.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019

If there are multiple tracks like the one starting around 7.00 I'm getting this. I'm really missing these kind of races since the old NFS / Test Drive Unlimited days

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I like how "raw" and visceral the racing feels. I love Forza Horizon, but Ghost's NFS games with these camera shakes and drifting angles makes the racing more heart pumping. FH4 is... tame, in comparison. Although I do realize that previous NFS game over exaggerated this aspect, Heat looks just about right.

Btw, the liveries for the Deluxe edition cars are absurdly cool.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It absolutely amazes me how poorly this franchise has been handled and how irrelevant it has become. Just feels like no one cares about it even if it turns out decent, and this is at a time when you constantly hear people crying about the lack of arcade racers.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Any word on a performance patch, for any platform? I enjoyed what little I played but would much rather come back when the crashes are ironed out.

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
I finished it earlier today getting majority of achievements and Ferrari FFX-K.
As a fan of the series I can only rate it 7/10.

+ Handling
+ Sense of speed
+ Night time
+ Decent story
+ Great customization

- Daytime
- Cops (Too aggressive)
- Story ends as it's getting good.
- Empty city
- Off Road
- Limited customization

Overall it's just a decent NFS game. I found more cons than pros, however the pros outweighed the cons due to being of big gameplay importance.

Lastly, and this is a very personal view, I find that this setting of illegal underground Street racing with all these customization options does not work so well with super/hyper cars.

I understand with games like Hot Pursuit, but part of what made underground and most wanted games so popular was the fact alot of the player base could see and choose cars they own/owned.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I understand with games like Hot Pursuit, but part of what made underground and most wanted games so popular was the fact alot of the player base could see and choose cars they own/owned.
That was one of my problems with the car list when it revealed. There was too much hyper and supercars (and their cabrio/convertible variants). There isn't enough muscle, EDM (that aren't hyper or supercars), and tuners. I would have preferred if they axed the convert/cabrio variants and added more cars actual aftermarket parts (and add more to past cars as well)

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Is there an ERA crew for the game?

How many members can be in the same crew?

Oct 25, 2017
Really bummed that this one feels like it was sent out to die with no marketing or buzz around it... This is looking like the best installment in a long time.

I'll be picking up the Target Black Friday deal. $35 is a steal so soon after launch.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I hope EA support Ghost to keep this game alive. I think there's a good foundation here. Night races can be a real visceral ride.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm enjoying the game but it is a fairly redundant release overall with very little new to offer. It's mostly a case of Ghost Games fixing the mistakes of the past 2 games over the course of 4 years. While doing so, they've managed to make more of a throwback of many parts of NFS over the course of its history post-2003, but struggling to find relevance today.

Thing is, it's a good game but it doesn't do anything particularly great. The visual customization is great, but limited across different cars, especially no major updates to existing cars over the past 4 years. Handling is slightly improved, but the garbage off-roading is still there, as are some fairly brand track designs with corner cutting. The day/night focus is very clever but once you've reached max-rep, racing at night is kind of pointless as you earn money only during the day, bar story missions. Speaking of story, it's not cringey but it gets in the way often with its mission structure, instead of just going up a blacklist or finishing actual races dotted across the world.

There are clear problems too like the world feeling pretty lifeless during the day with extremely limited traffic. It makes sense at night but ironically, I feel like there's more traffic at night. The side activities are extremely dated and the actual online PVP isn't there. You'll just have to play with friends in PVE as randoms rarely want to join your races. I also feel like the police chases are deliberately made the way it is to force you to bank your rep or get busted. Which is fine, but the cops are absolutely brutal and unlike Rivals, no real way to fight them back. Only resist them until you eventually run out of repairs.

I dunno man. The fact that players can't be cops and chase you in a race online doesn't make it the best since hot pursuit for me.

they need to go back to that. Online matches were dope when you could be the racer or cops, and had abilities like emp's and helicopters at your disposal