• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
No review thread had been made, so here's one. If you want to check impressions from your fellow Era members, enter here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/need-for-speed™-heat-impressions-thread.151353/

Metacritic 73 (PS4) / 77 (Xbox One)
OpenCritic 73 (52% recommend)

IGN 8/10
Need for Speed Heat is a mosaic of existing ideas but it is easily the most impressive Need for Speed game in years.

GamesRadar + 3.5/5
Great modding and a decent game engine can't disguise the tired story and simplistic driving.

Polygon (Unscored)
In present day, Need for Speed Heat seems limited, reminding me of all the things that made it distinct, but still hedging against them in case I don't find them enjoyable. I'm confused about what would have made this game better, but the series seems just as confused about what it wants to be.

AreaJugones 8/10
Need for Speed heat has one of the best gameplay and visuals ever seen in a racing game. It also marks a change for the franchise, a game that focus more on street racing rather than the story. However, it takes a lot of mechanics from other games like The Crew or Forza Horizon, resulting in an experience that, although it's fun, lacks personality.

IGN Italy 7.8/10
Need for Speed Heat wakes up back the series from the nightmare and it's just like a greatest hits of the most iconic episodes of the franchise. Ghost Games did a great job in terms of gameplay and concepts, but Palm City is bloated of filler events and the progression isn't smooth enough. Anyway, the night races are great and the free tuning is back. If you are driven by Underground and Most Wanted nostalgia, Heat is definitely your game.

God Is A Geek 7.5/10
Need for Speed Heat puts the franchise back on the right track, but the various bugs and dull story means the series is still behind the pack.

CGMagazine 6/10
Need For Speed Heat is a fun racing game that is still held back by a weak, multiplayer, story, and lack of event variety.

HobbyConsolas 8/10
Need for Speed Heat leaves a good taste: a enormous map, lots of races and missions to complete, good speed sensation and huge customization options (both in cars and avatar)... It feels like a greatest hits album, with the best parts from the previous 15 years of NFS remixed.

3Djuegos 6.5/10
Need for Speed: Heat needs a better balance, both in the progression system and police chases, to make it all fun, instead of frustrating.

JeuxVideo 5.5/10
This Need for Speed has everything it needs to please the players, especially those looking for an heir to Most Wanted. But Heat lacks of driving sensations, of a proper physic management, and has plenty of balance problems, making the game more frustrating than fun.

At least on OpenCritic, it's done better than both 2015 and Payback, but worse than Rivals:

Rivals: 81 (71% recommend)
2015: 65 (16% recommend)
Payback: 60 (16% recommend)

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I give it a solid 8/10, if only for the custom exhaust note creator!

Tbh, I think it's far enough away from horizon to coexist, the day/night gameplay loop works really well.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like another bust. There hasn't been a good NFS since Most Wanted on 360. All I want is car customization, funny cutscenes and a boss Black List to take down. How hard can that be? Make the cop chases the focus.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Literally playing it right now. It is Need for Speed through and through. I have always enjoyed the series so I am enjoying this. Much more than previous titles as well. Zero complaints thus far. It is an arcade racer as I expect it to be. I would also give it an 7 or 8/10. Which to clarify, is what I consider a good game. Not a great game. Just a good or very good.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played the single-player mode, but it goes back to basics: day races give you money, night races give you rep, which unlocks mods. I'm really enjoying it so far, which is the first time I've said that in several years.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I too believe FH 3/4 is easily the best arcade racing game out there but I am not going to write off other games in the genre just because of it. Then again I am a big fan of the genre itself and have been playing it long before Forza Horizon even existed.

To put it in perspective and to provide an example, I also feel Uncharted is the best action game out there. Maybe even the new God of War for the sake of this example. I am not going to write off every other third person action game that is released just because they are not as good as either game. I am going to play them and appreciate them for what they do. Not what they do not do.

To each their own but it just bonkers to me people insist on shitting on every other arcade racer, especially when some of them offer some pretty decent fun, just because Forza Horizon does it best. Yes, it is pretty much widely agreed upon that I think most people think FH is the best game in the genre. That does not mean every other game that is released is trash. It just means FH does it best.

I just feel like a lot of people are potentially missing out on other arcade racing games (not just NFS by the way, this is a thing with every title except FH) just because they insist on claiming their allegiance to FH as being the best. Nevermind the fact I do not know about all of you, but I think competition is a good thing. I do not only want 1 game in each genre.

Honestly though to each their own. If you are cool with only playing one game in a specific genre and that is it, more power to you. I dig variety myself.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
This game is extremly repetitive. At least in the first 10 hours. Also i didnt like the car handling.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the review thread.

eurogamer didnt recommend it though it wasn't an avoid. Sounds in general like it's an improvement over the last two at least but I do wish ea could find their footing with this into the series it was with hot pursuit 2010

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I too believe FH 3/4 is easily the best arcade racing game out there but I am not going to write off other games in the genre just because of it. Then again I am a big fan of the genre itself and have been playing it long before Forza Horizon even existed.

To put it in perspective and to provide an example, I also feel Uncharted is the best action game out there. Maybe even the new God of War for the sake of this example. I am not going to write off every other third person action game that is released just because they are not as good as either game. I am going to play them and appreciate them for what they do. Not what they do not do.

To each their own but it just bonkers to me people insist on shitting on every other arcade racer, especially when some of them offer some pretty decent fun, just because Forza Horizon does it best. Yes, it is pretty much widely agreed upon that I think most people think FH is the best game in the genre. That does not mean every other game that is released is trash. It just means FH does it best.

I just feel like a lot of people are potentially missing out on other arcade racing games (not just NFS by the way, this is a thing with every title except FH) just because they insist on claiming their allegiance to FH as being the best. Nevermind the fact I do not know about all of you, but I think competition is a good thing. I do not only want 1 game in each genre.

Honestly though to each their own. If you are cool with only playing one game in a specific genre and that is it, more power to you. I dig variety myself.

Funnily enough, though, Forza Horizon keeps getting further and further away from being the type of racer I like. The first game is still my favorite.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017

I was gonna make a post. But you just did it. Seems like a solid racing game. If you're interested in the genre, seems like it'd be worth it to give it a go.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017

What good arcade racers have even been released? The glory days are long gone and even FH doesn't hold a candle to the genres best.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

100%. Fixation on 'best or nothing' is tiresome and reductive and limiting.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
They got so much right with Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2010, and then NFS: Most Wanted in 2012, and then it just went downhill from there.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Competition is absolutely a good thing, but I find hard to enjoy a game when another one does pretty much everything better while being similar in what they're trying to do. NFS' Underground racing aspect is still super appealing and pretty much the only reason why I still don't give up hope in the franchise becoming good).

It's not like, for example, Outrun 2006 and Ridge Racer V where both are true arcade racers that are completely different games so playing both is worth it. The Crew 2 did it right by including boats and planes, which gives it some much needed differentiation from Forza.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Ghost fixed a lot of problems and they did a great job with the structure for this game. It beats Horizon in this regard, easily. They combined the classic open world structure with Rivals' risk/reward system and cop chases that aren't broken up when you go in and out of events. The map is also good. The customization is great, you can even customize your character and all the clothing optinos are unlocked from the get go, no lootbox or MTX bullshit (and there's shit tons of clothing items too. Small touch, but much appreciated). The story isn't even that terrible. The cutscenes are surprisingly good and the dialogue isn't a complete cheesefest like in Payback. Hell, the cop chatter is actually great.

Oh, and they also have added semi-coop to the campaign. You can play all races together, except for story missions. But even when you do play a story mission, the party won't get broken up. It's a damn good system.

BUT.... while they undoubtedly improved the handling it's still easily the biggest weak point of the game. And unfortunately handling is everything in a racing game. It's basically Payback but slightly more technical as cars don't just drift on their own, when you jank the steering wheel left or right, you actually need to double tap gas or rely on classic brake to drift depending on which option you choose. But, the car still generally behaves like in Payback. And while you can, once again, tune your car to be grippy, it just... once again, like in NFS15 feels way too static and glued to the road. Cars just don't feel dynamic in Ghost's NFS games, they either full on drift or just glue to the surface.

The drifty handling only ever worked in HP2010 for me because the entire game was deisgned around it. Massive straight highways, most of the corners were long & winding, no sharp turns or urban areas. Even MW12 which was made by Criterion already felt held back by that handling model because there were way too many sharp turns, just made it un-fun.

6-7/10 is what I'd give it. It's fun overall and given how few arcade racers we get nowadays, it definitely has its place.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Gonna give it a try eventually, I love NFS games even though I missed Payback, Rivals has been my favorite since Underground 2, Most Wanted after that. Probably will wait for Bloodworth's EZA review. NFS can be good mindless fun.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Only played a little bit so far but does anyone else think that the car handling just feels.. weird? I'm constantly undercutting corners because it's not reacting how I expect. Dunno, maybe it's me.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Only played a little bit so far but does anyone else think that the car handling just feels.. weird? I'm constantly undercutting corners because it's not reacting how I expect. Dunno, maybe it's me.

Try live tuning (unlocks after you get the nitro installed, I think?) and you can adjust steering sensitvity and you can change wether you want to use the brake or double tap gas method to drift. I found the brake to drift method far more reliable.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
They got so much right with Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2010, and then NFS: Most Wanted in 2012, and then it just went downhill from there.
A lot of people whined about Most Wanted because it wasn't Most Wanted 2005, just Burnout Paradise 2. And that kinda fucked over Criterion.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
My main complaint with it so far is the soundtrack. It loops the same few songs for day and then a different set for night races.

And a lot of them sound similar. Like they got a job lot of Latino beats cheap.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
My main complaint with it so far is the soundtrack. It loops the same few songs for day and then a different set for night races.

And a lot of them sound similar. Like they got a job lot of Latino beats cheap.
Payback had the same issue where it restrected certain sets of songs to certain events. Just gets boring real quick.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people whined about Most Wanted because it wasn't Most Wanted 2005, just Burnout Paradise 2. And that kinda fucked over Criterion.
that was a stupid fucking move to begin with. I love Most Wanted but people have since put it on this crazy pedestal. calling the 2012 game the same made for some unreachable expectations

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only tried an hour or so through EA Access. It feels like a poor man's Forza Horizon with a best of of Need For Speed games. That isn't all-bad, actually: driving model is decent enough, graphics are okay, sensation of speed is great, atmosphere is nice, the open world is cool, the customization seems pretty deep and the day/night mechanic is a cool concept. A bit rough around the edges, hence the fact it's a bit like a weaker version of Horizon in some ways, but it's a fun game imho, from the little I played I seem to agree with most scores. Not quite 50-70 Euros worth but I'll be happy to play through it when it drops to EA Access in its full version. Probably the best NFS game of the generation, which to be fair isn't saying that much, but a step in the right direction.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Competition is absolutely a good thing, but I find hard to enjoy a game when another one does pretty much everything better while being similar in what they're trying to do. NFS' Underground racing aspect is still super appealing and pretty much the only reason why I still don't give up hope in the franchise becoming good).

It's not like, for example, Outrun 2006 and Ridge Racer V where both are true arcade racers that are completely different games so playing both is worth it. The Crew 2 did it right by including boats and planes, which gives it some much needed differentiation from Forza.

This is how I feel.

I watched a video review of NFS Heat, and it's great looking. But it's offering nothing new. It's another beautiful looking racing game, with the same car models as every other racing game, racing in the same standard environments.

Years ago when arcade racers were a thing we had more variety. Outrun was different from Ridge Racer, which was different from Daytona, which was different from Hydro Thunder, which was different from Burnout.

Now it's the same exact cars racing in the same exact environments. Personally I only need one of these.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Man I used to love Most Wanted 2005 and Carbon, but this franchise has gone to such shit and pissed away any and all good will it had. Its not the 2000s anymore, and I think the world/industry has moved on from NFS. This one looks kinda cool but I just dont care anymore.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It's nothing like Underground, that era of car culture is long gone. NFS has always followed what's currently trendy.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to hear then. How is the customization? Can customize alot, or is it bare bones? I love being able to make sick looking decals on cars and stuff like that.
Customization is the same you expect as Payback. Past cars haven't gotten new things (besides Big Country Lab wings and a small lip). New cars obviously have new stuff. All the street art you find around the world gives you new decals.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Customization is the same you expect as Payback. Past cars haven't gotten new things (besides Big Country Lab wings and a small lip). New cars obviously have new stuff. All the street art you find around the world gives you new decals.

Thanks, I didn't like Payback's lack of customization, specifically the lackluster decals. Glad street art is available though. I'll probably check out when on sale then.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
They should have just made this game set at night time 24/7 like 2015. No cockpit view also sucks.