• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I know we have a lot of apple folks in here and was hoping I could get some help.

I'm looking to get my wife an Apple Watch either for her birthday or Valentine's Day. She'd mainly use this so keep up on texts and slack (can you get slack on an Apple Watch?)as well as to use it as a fit bit replacement for work outs. The 3 series seems like it would be a great but I can't seem to get a clear consensus on if it's worth paying more for a series 4 or 3 for what she's using it for.

I've also thought about getting one for working out and streaming music when I work out. I prefer old school watches and have a bunch but would be interested in how it could be used if I didn't wear it every hour of every day.

Any suggestions on protecting the screen as well or what size to get?

I'd love to hear some people's opnions.

Last edited:

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
S4 would give you:
- bigger better screen.
- newer processor- would last longer for OS support and perforcmace.
- ECG stuff
- Fall detection.

Depends if that's worth an extra $120

OP
OP
RoninChaos

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
S4 would give you:
- bigger better screen.
- ECG stuff
- Fall detection.

Well, I guess that's the question. Right now I can get a 42 mm series 3 for 229. The 44mm gps mode is 429. Is the 200 worth it?

Nov 30, 2018
S4 would give you:
- bigger better screen.
- ECG stuff
- Fall detection.

For people just using it to text and work out, they wouldn't notice much difference with these

I have a 4 and I just workout/text/etc. tried the ECG once never did it again. Series 3 is also fast as well.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
For people just using it to text and work out, they wouldn't notice much difference with these

I have a 4 and I just workout/text/etc. tried the ECG once never did it again. Series 3 is also fast as well.

I would agree, I think S3 would be fine.

Well, I guess that's the question. Right now I can get a 42 mm series 3 for 229. The 44mm gps mode is 429. Is the 200 worth it?

For almost double the price, I would say go for the S3.
I have a S4 and love it, but I came from a S0 (Orginal Apple Watch).

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Series 4. Nobody making complications for the old smaller screen watchfaces anymore.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The difference in speed between series 3 and series 4 is night and day. Goes from feeling like a gimmick device to what you always hoped the watch would be in terms of function.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know your wife but seems like the kind of thing that would get brought up in an argument...

"You only got me the series 3 watch you cheap pos. I'm not even worth 200 dollars to you huh? Is that it? Where'd you get my ring? The outlet mall? Well guess what cheapskate... I've been fucking the milk man while you work!"

Go for the 4

Deleted member 23075

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't owned an Apple Watch yet, but as someone who currently uses a fitbit, the 4 would be a no-brainer purchase due to the ECG capability alone for workouts.

Nov 30, 2018
I haven't owned an Apple Watch yet, but as someone who currently uses a fitbit, the 4 would be a no-brainer purchase due to the ECG capability alone for workouts.

Considering 2% of people under 65 have AFib, $200 isn't a worthwhile investment for just an ECG. It won't detect a heart attack or anything else.

I don't know your wife but seems like the kind of thing that would get brought up in an argument...

"You only got me the series 3 watch you cheap pos. I'm not even worth 200 dollars to you huh? Is that it? Where'd you get my ring? The outlet mall? Well guess what cheapskate... I've been fucking the milk man while you work!"

Go for the 4

She'd better be grateful or she'd find herself sleeping outside and being served papers.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Thanks for the info as I'd like to pick one up one day. I'll just continue to wait and see what series 5 offers

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She'd better be grateful or she'd find herself sleeping outside and being served papers.

What is wrong with both of you? Jesus.

Edit: Actually Loki your post isn't as bad if that's a direct response to the hypothetical Vern posed.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How big is your wife's wrist? In my experience most women are going to want the 38mm/40mm model, not the 42/44. It'll look better on her wrist and also save you a few bucks.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up the ECG is a wash argument, I thought I read something on the verge talking about how it only tests like 1 area when there are like 12 areas to test to get a good reading for a real ECG.

If anything, you'll just burden your doctor. If anything it's a novelty

Also on the fence between 3 vs 4, but I think the extra $200 seems worth it

OP
OP
RoninChaos

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Just a heads up the ECG is a wash argument, I thought I read something on the verge talking about how it only tests like 1 area when there are like 12 areas to test to get a good reading for a real ECG.

Out of curiosity, why do you think it's worth it if you think the ECG is a gimmick?

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Get her the Hermes edition if you really want to make an impression. It's both very fashionable but functional. That's what I have and I love it.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, why do you think it's worth it if you think the ECG is a gimmick?
The speed, I've seen the speed of the first watch and it was bad, but the 3 seems to be where they got speed just right.

There are reports the 4 is faster then that and I value my time highly and hate waiting for stuff on my phone. Add the bigger screen real estate, and the fact you use it everyday justifies it for me. I'm still in the market for a 4, but haven't seen deals compared to the 3 going for $200 ish. I see Sams Club here in the US seems to have a slight discount on some 4 Series.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I got my wife a series 3 after they came out, and she got me a series 4 late last year. She loves her series 3, but imo it's worth it for the series 4. It's better in virtually every way. It's thinner, uses better materials (ceramic back that doesn't scratch easily), the screen is MUCH better and easier to use, the complications and watch faces look so much nicer on it, it has more accurate sensors, it's faster, and it just feels like a better product overall.

I'd say the extra screen real estate is especially important if you're getting the smaller size. My wife's S3 is the 38mm and the screen feels very cramped, but it's not as big of an issue on the 40mm S4.

I'm gonna have to see more data than just a Verge article. The ECG function isn't meant to replace a full ECG machine, but it does enough to potentially alert someone that there might be a problem. That article seems really overblown. If there are so many false positives to actually become a major problem for doctors, I doubt Apple will keep it around. It's a neat feature that most people won't need but could potentially save lives. We'll see how it plays out long term.

Last edited:

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Get the cheapest Series 4. It really is worth it for the display and speed, and you'll get significantly more longevity out of it

keenerz

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
yeah I'd say go for a series 4 it really is a nicer looking watch design wise and feel. The benefit going forward also is it will last much longer going forward.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got my wife a series 3 after they came out, and she got me a series 4 late last year. She loves her series 3, but imo it's worth it for the series 4. It's better in virtually every way. It's thinner, uses better materials (ceramic back that doesn't scratch easily), the screen is MUCH better and easier to use, the complications and watch faces look so much nicer on it, it has more accurate sensors, it's faster, and it just feels like a better product overall.

I'd say the extra screen real estate is especially important if you're getting the smaller size. My wife's S3 is the 38mm and the screen feels very cramped, but it's not as big of an issue on the 40mm S4.

I'm gonna have to see more data than just a Verge article. The ECG function isn't meant to replace a full ECG machine, but it does enough to potentially alert someone that there might be a problem. That article seems really overblown. If there are so many false positives to actually become a major problem for doctors, I doubt Apple will keep it around. It's a neat feature that most people won't need but could potentially save lives. We'll see how it plays out long term.
Unfortunately, I only saw the Verge article. Verge has been SUPER positive on Apple so for them to run a piece calling it "trivial" was surprising for me.

Here's another Wired article pointing out the same thing though https://www.wired.com/story/ecg-apple-watch/

I think they reach the same conclusion "maybe it's helpful, maybe it's not"
If you already have atrial fibrillation, (arrhythmia) seems like it would be helpful to monitor if the condition is getting worse. Or even people with family histories of heart disease, heart palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath etc. It's just that not a lot of people have fall into that category.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
Get an entry level aluminum S4, 40mm.

S4 is a massive upgrade over the S3 in almost every spec, it's worth the extra ~200.

Get her the Hermes edition if you really want to make an impression. It's both very fashionable but functional. That's what I have and I love it.

$1200+ for a kitschy looking band and OS-exclusive watchface? Poor value IMO. You can't even workout or get dirty with the leather bands. They hate sweat and water. To me the apple watch is a way better utility gadget/life appliance than a fashion statement; and a used Rolex or AP does a better job at the latter.

Last edited:

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Unfortunately, I only saw the Verge article. Verge has been SUPER positive on Apple so for them to run a piece calling it "trivial" was surprising for me.

Here's another Wired article pointing out the same thing though https://www.wired.com/story/ecg-apple-watch/

I think they reach the same conclusion "maybe it's helpful, maybe it's not"

Yeah, they make a good point but I think it's just too early to know for sure. I'm sure someone (Apple) is tracking its usefulness.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love everything about the Series 4 and upgraded from the 3, but it's not worth the $200 vig. I also can't stand the fact that Pokemon Go doesn't have a complication for infographic and probably never will.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I think she's be happier if I paid our mortgage for a month rather than buying g the Hermès watch. Lol

That's totally fair lol

Only $2000 in Canada

Much cheaper then a lot of high fashion watches.

Joke post? The Hermes watch has the exact same functionality as the "standard" Apple Watch at three times the price. ($400 vs $1250)

No I was saying Apple Watch being functional but the Hermes edition brings the fashion side.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Much cheaper then a lot of high fashion watches.

No I was saying Apple Watch being functional but the Hermes edition brings the fashion side.
The stainless steel without the Hermes band or face is perfectly fine on the fashion side. I prefer steel bands, I can get a leather band, and it's not worth the money to me for a diffferent face which pretty much no one else will ever see.

I'm some one crazy enough to have bought two stainless steel Apple watches within the past year and I still couldn't justify Hermes.

Oct 27, 2017
I just dropped my series 1 on the hotel bathrooms floor......

I cant decide if the $200 jump is worth it for me het betwee, the 3 amd 4

OP
OP
RoninChaos

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Is the stainless steel worth getting if you won't use LTE? Is the battery worse because if LTE?

Was thinking of getting one myself but I won't wear it everyday. I have a ton of nice watches so I don't know that it's worth the price difference but the aluminum looks cheap in silver.

Also any suggestions for bumpers or something that would protect the watch I'm getting my wife? Looking for something transparent that would create a lip around the phone. I got her a space black but I think I'm going to swap it for the gold. She has the gold iPhone 8 so this works.

BTW I appreciate the responses.

Last edited:

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the stainless steel worth getting if you won't use LTE? Is the battery worse because if LTE?

I personally think the SS quality was worth it. Looks great and feels nice and weighty on the wrist. I don't use LTE too much so I can't comment on the battery drain but when not on LTE it's battery life is great. It is nice though like yesterday my phone was almost dead so I left it at home while we went out for a few hours and just took my watch and was still able to get texts/phone calls.

I went from a S0 to a S4 so I'm a bit biased but I think the extra $200 is worth it for S4 in large part because of the screen. It just looks so much nicer w/ the smaller bezels and the speed of the watch is fantastic.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I have a unique perspective because I had a 3 for a year and recently traded it in for a 4.

The ECG is worthless to me, because if you have a resting heart rate of under 50 (or over 120, I think), the watch can't do it. My resting heart rate is around 40, so It just says "inconclusive results" or something similar when I try it. But even if I could have used it, I probably would have done it once and never again. I would only consider the ECG test valuable if you have a specific reason (like a doctor told you to monitor it). It has nothing to do with "while you're working out" as someone earlier suggested. You do it when you're at rest.

As for the fall detection, again to me this isn't a good reason to buy it. It's the kind of thing I'd get some peace of mind from if my grandparents had it. People who are prone to falling. I'm not. I guess there's a chance it may someday come in handy.

The real reason to get the 4 over the 3 is the bigger screen, and the faster speed I guess. The 4 is fast, really fast. But the 3 is pretty fast, too. And the unique watch faces that the 4 has that the 3 doesn't. And they are nice faces and I suppose they are only possible on the 4 because of how they use that bigger screen.

Only you know your wife and what she would think. My wife also has a 3 and has absolutely no interest in a 4. When I showed her my 4 (compared to her 3) she was not impressed in the least. Some people are into the latest gadgets (me) and some are the opposite (my wife). Only you know if your wife will really care or even notice.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH

Was thinking of getting one myself but I won't wear it everyday. I have a ton of nice watches so I don't know that it's worth the price difference but the aluminum looks cheap in silver.

Also any suggestions for bumpers or something that would protect the watch I'm getting my wife? Looking for something transparent that would create a lip around the phone. I got her a space black but I think I'm going to swap it for the gold. She has the gold iPhone 8 so this works.

BTW I appreciate the responses.
I think if you don't plan to wear it every day, there's no point. The watch is built around "closing the rings" and either you'll get hooked into that, or you won't. At minimum, to close all three rings, you have to wear it 12 hours a day. The watch is basically an extension of your phone. I feel like either you wear it all the time, or what's the point? Wearing it for a few hours here and there seems kind of pointless. I wouldn't mix it in with a collection of other watches and rotate them. The Apple Watch seems like it's made for people who usually wear no watch at all. That's me.

If you really want to use it just for working out, I guess you could just wear it for working out. But again, you won't close all the rings. It sounds stupid but it gets in your brain which is exactly what Apple wants. They want you to wear it all the time.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
The stainless steel without the Hermes band or face is perfectly fine on the fashion side. I prefer steel bands, I can get a leather band, and it's not worth the money to me for a diffferent face which pretty much no one else will ever see.

I'm some one crazy enough to have bought two stainless steel Apple watches within the past year and I still couldn't justify Hermes.

Actually a lot of people have commented on the watch face, but the band looks much better then the standard Apple ones.

OP
OP
RoninChaos

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I personally think the SS quality was worth it. Looks great and feels nice and weighty on the wrist. I don't use LTE too much so I can't comment on the battery drain but when not on LTE it's battery life is great. It is nice though like yesterday my phone was almost dead so I left it at home while we went out for a few hours and just took my watch and was still able to get texts/phone calls.

I went from a S0 to a S4 so I'm a bit biased but I think the extra $200 is worth it for S4 in large part because of the screen. It just looks so much nicer w/ the smaller bezels and the speed of the watch is fantastic.
Is yours the black or the polished stainless steel? I'd love to go with a stainless steel because I have a lot of stainless stee and titanium watches so I love the look of that metal. And the aluminum silver just looks cheap.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
My wife saw the 4S before the 3S and she was sold.

The 4S is great, she's having a good time with it for phone calls, textos and the fitness stuff.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017

I think there are alarmist articles and videos looking for clicks on this. Obviously it's not going to replace a hospital ECG, but that's a trade-off for all consumer-grade medical equipment. The point is to give you a reasonably accurate reading to help detect issues earlier.

The ECG feature was given FDA approval, so it meets their requirements to be demonstrably reliable and accurate to a certain degree for its advertised capabilities. Any issues it detects of course should be followed up and verified with a doctor. That's not any different from a patient presenting to a doctor with certain symptoms for diagnosis.

That said, the ECG isn't going to be of too much use for most people because most people don't have heart problems. But saying this sort of feature will cause a lot of false positives without any evidence seems to me to come from a general distrust of newer technology.

EDIT: I previously watched a video where they interviewed some doctors and they were like "we don't want people presenting and burdening the health system" and I was thinking "Ok, that's kinda contrary to any health advice I've received."

I read the Wired article and I think they present two facets:

1: ECG tests are pretty much pointless for asymptomatic people, and I completely agree with that in the context that they're talking about clinical ECG tests, which take time and money. But when people have to means to do preliminary tests themselves, if they present themselves to the doctor after abnormal ECG results from the Apple Watch, they're arguably no longer asymptomatic.

2: They warn of the risk of false positives leading hypocondriacs to burden the health system with unnecessary tests when they're perfectly fine. We've yet to see evidence this is an emerging problem, but I'd argue Apple has provided users with enough information that most people will use it responsibly and as intended. Of course, there will be crazies who panic at the first sign of something abnormal, but those people would present themselves to the doctor for any possible symptoms, Apple Watch or not.

Last edited:

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Is yours the black or the polished stainless steel? I'd love to go with a stainless steel because I have a lot of stainless stee and titanium watches so I love the look of that metal. And the aluminum silver just looks cheap.

I have the Space Black Stainless Steel and honestly it's the best color Apple makes at the moment. I prefer heavy watches (always wore a stainless steel mechanical watch) and Space Black looks excellent - honestly it's worth the upgrade.

Space Gray in aluminum isn't bad but it just feels too light IMO.