• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
A refurbished Pixel 3a is a great phone and checks your boxes (battery life, camera, headphone jack, t-mobile, etc), but they're $300 usually. Nice thing about the Pixel 3a, even the refurbs, is they're gauaranteed to get updates, they usually have a 1-year warranty from Google, they don't ship with any extra software, and terrific battery life (the way you use your phone I'd expect ~36-48 hours on a charge, and they charge to 85% battery life in 30mins or so). But, again it's about $100 up your budget.

If you can wait until May, I'd say get the pixel 3a at that time (once the 4a drops). It will be sub $200 by then. And its an amazing value.

i'm kind of a google fanboy, so ideally i would like a pixel of some kind. but yeah, they are kinda pricey at the moment and i don't think my phone will last until may

It comes with the adapter in the box to use a headphone jack. And the reason it's so cheap is because they've replaced it with the z4 play which is the latest model.

ooh, suddenly it's back on the list!

OP
OP

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, folks. i think i made my decision. i'm going to go with...

*drum roll*

...the moto Z3 play!

i like the redmi 6, 7, and 8, but apparently they don't work in the u.s. the G7 and G7 power are both $50 and $100 higher, but seem to not do much more than what the z3 play does, with either less or roughly the same amount of RAM. same with the samsung a20.

so here's my question. i was gonna go with the basic 32 GB model, since i still think that'll be plenty for my needs (currently i only have 4 GB storage), and if i need to, i can always buy more storage. but is micro SD storage cheap? or would it be cheaper if i bought the 64 GB version?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, folks. i think i made my decision. i'm going to go with...

*drum roll*

...the moto Z3 play!

i like the redmi 6, 7, and 8, but apparently they don't work in the u.s. the G7 and G7 power are both $50 and $100 higher, but seem to not do much more than what the z3 play does, with either less or roughly the same amount of RAM. same with the samsung a20.

so here's my question. i was gonna go with the basic 32 GB model, since i still think that'll be plenty for my needs (currently i only have 4 GB storage), and if i need to, i can always buy more storage. but is micro SD storage cheap? or would it be cheaper if i bought the 64 GB version?

pretty cheap for micro sd these days depending on how much you need. dont buy from amazon tho, too many counterfeits even thru amazon direct since they mix inventory from third parties.

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
My dad has a Xiaomi Mi A3 and the only bad thing is it doesnt have NFC, other than that it is an awesome device for the price.

I also got my dad this phone. Really good!

51Xm9ay971L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It has stock Android pie and actually gets monthly security updates.

OP
OP

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
great news, people. after months of thinking, i finally made a decision on which phone to get. and that phone would be *drumroll* :

the pixel 3a!

holy shit, this thing is AMAZING

i haven't been this excited about a new phone is a long time. it is without a doubt, the most massive upgrade i've ever had. granted, sure my last phone was a certifiable antique, but still!

no joke, i've spent more time tinkering around with the settings on here in the last HOUR than i have in the past 3 YEARS. i didn't even bother to look into the wallpapers on my last phone. and it looks like google has some pretty fucking sweet ones.

the phone's running buttery smooth even with like 10 apps running in the background. it's like greased lightning compared to what i'm used to. kind of funny though cause i was originally worried if i'd have enough space, but i've already downloaded most of the apps i initially wanted and now i'm like 'shit...now what?"

the build quality is actually quite nice too. i know it's polyeurathane (sp?), but it FEELS like a high end phone!

but yeah, i'm absolutely LOVING this device. finally, a phone worthy of my station 8)