• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So I just moved into a new house, and for the first time I'll have a dedicated gaming area in my new office. Whereas before all of my console gaming was done on the shared living room TV, I'm now looking to make my new dedicated space as good as I can on a budget. The problem is that there are SO many options out there (especially when you include refurbed, lightly used, or older models) that my head is spinning.

So I thought I'd reach out the knowledgeable gaming consumers on ERA for some advice.

So I'm limiting myself to $500 right now, but I could maybe go slightly higher for the right value.

Here are some factors to consider:
  • I will be relatively close to the TV in this room (probably 4-5 feet away), so I don't need anything big. Something in the 45-50-inch range would be good.
  • Low input lag is a very high priority for me as I will be playing a variety of gaming content (including lower-res classic gaming that needs to be scaled and emulation that has some inherent overhead lag).
  • Honestly, 4K isn't entirely necessary, but since that's the default now and I have a PS4 Pro then that's probably what it'll end up being. I searched around for a 1080p OLED display, but there really don't seem to be any.
  • HDR would be nice, but it's not as important to me as the input lag and general picture quality.
  • Viewing angles aren't terribly important in this context, but I definitely care about accurate color and deep blacks/contrast. I know that OLED and QLED are beyond my budget, but LED with local dimming would be wonderful.
Any help in making this purchasing decision and finding a good deal will be greatly appreciated. šŸ˜

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
TCL 6 Series is basically one and done answer here. There's a 15% cash back if you use an Amazon card and order it from them.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend the Hisense H8F. The 55" is 499, just came out last month, and, IMO, is worth every penny. I have the 65" and it's been more than worth it.

Oct 28, 2017
TCL is proper. I have the 4-series 55in and even with its shortcomings it's still rock solid. Money Well Spent.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna echo the TCL 6 series. HDR isn't crazy on that set (but still by far the best for a budget TV) and the base picture is phenomenal. It's on sale pretty much all the time.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
TCL, one and done. If you're in Canada and don't feel like driving to the states to get a TV a Vizio M55 would do the trick, that's what I have.