• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Miss Piggy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just browsed that reddit sub...
I think most of those people there (if not ALL) are younger women who have almost zero support from their partner and/or any other family member.
It's a cliche, but absolutely true that soo much of raising a child is having a "village" to help a parent get through it, because even the most amazing parent can't do it alone. And having a man-child for a husband that doesn't do shit, except maybe go to work, makes things even harder. Any mother who seems like she is doing great has a TON of help!

I agree. Someone else mentioned that it is sometimes more r/regretfulspouses than regretting having a child and that's absolutely true.

It's like this.

At first, you're going to have a baby. Great. It's like you know that you're going to go to a great restaurant that you've never been to before. You read the menu, you look at the pictures on Yelp and shit. Looks awesome, here's how it'll be, here's what I'll order. It'll be like this and that, etc. Then you're woken up at two in the morning and you're told that we're going to the restaurant RIGHT NOW and oh shit, let me just throw on some shoes. You go to the restaurant, open the door, and you instantly black out. Just out cold.

You wake up in the morning and you're floating on a piece of wood in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight. You have no idea where the hell you are. You thought that you were going to a restaurant. Now what? You're a stranger here. You have to learn to live in a totally new way. You have to rethink how you approach food, transportation, money, everything. You have to rethink how you just move around, how you walk, talk, etc. It's all new rules because you're surrounded by water on every side.

And it's hard at first because you never lived this way. But time goes by and you learn to swim. You learn how to exist in this way and what was totally alien and shocking becomes just the way that you are with your child. It becomes your new way of life over time. It's still a challenge because you didn't live this way for so long and new things still constantly pop up like sea hazards and jetski bandits and such but you adapt more and more quickly. You keep going at it and you grow gills and you adapt and you get to live in this new way, with this new person, in a life that is riskier and has a much different character. You get stable but you're still on the water, every day.

And so, are you willing to do that? If yes, go for it. If not, do the dog shelter thing.

Holy shit, this is amazing!

Mid 40's, kid is 17 months. I was never a having kids, super dad type of person. I loved my carefree, traveling life.

But watching my baby just running around completely mesmerized at every single thing is something I don't think I could ever live without. I could live without less traveling. So I guess it's a choice.

Also it's not a binary option, can still do some travelling with a kid and I imagine it's sometimes more fulfilling seeing them experience new places.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Also it's not a binary option, can still do some travelling with a kid and I imagine it's sometimes more fulfilling seeing them experience new places.

Yes, it's not impossible at all. When my son was 2, we took him to Vienna for my sister's wedding (they live near there). When he was 3, we took him to Japan. Now that he's 4, we're leaving to Denmark tomorrow. Obviously we're not going to the exact same places and spots we'd go when we were childless, especially when it comes to food, but that's fine. We've still been able to travel quite a bit.

Part of it is that we have no help, so we've never had a babysitter and anyone to watch him when he's not at school. We learned how to just take him everywhere and roll with it, and now he's very used to going all over, enjoying himself in restaurants and usually munching off the adult menu, etc.