• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Long story short, I am expecting a job offer tomorrow. Company is pretty big and it's a senior role. A person who works there and referred me told me to expect an offer tomorrow given that she's been keep tabs on the process for me.

I am going to be asked what I'm looking for in terms of salary and I've been advised not to give a number, just wait until the HR rep says the number herself. That much is fine, but how would some of y'all word it if I'm asked what I'm looking for? Answer the question with a question?

"Well, what is being offered for the position?"

Or should I ask the same question and say I'm keeping an "open mind." I'm worried if I say I'm keeping an open mind that she'll immediately try to low ball me and of course I don't want to blurt out a number and low ball myself.

How have y'all negotiated salary once a job offer was extended to you?

Update:

Sorry for not responding to the posts, y'all. I was consumed by my thoughts all morning. The conversation went great. I was never asked my number, she just that they want to offer me the job for a particular salary which sounded good to me. I took it because it felt right.. I did read some of your posts before the phone call, so thank you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know comparables for what others in this position with your experience get paid?

Can your friend give you an idea?

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I usually provide a range, with the lower end of the range being my actual target. Anything above is gravy.

Also, in my field , engineering, there are salary surveys published by our governing body so you can also point to your field and experience to draw comparables, which has been quite helpful.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The general consensus is that you stave off the salary talk for as long as possible but so many employers put it in the application asking for an exact number and I never know what to say.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Ask them for a range. Never give them a number first.

If they absolutely insist. Take what you make now and double it, tell them that. If they balk, negotiate.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
Like it was said above keep your actual what you are willing to take for the job at the bottom of your range. Be coy but forward. This is your future and what you will be doing everyday. Don't sell yourself short and hold your head up high for your family (or future family).

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I usually go fuck it and just give a number slightly above what I would be happy with. Or give a range, with the bottom number being what you actually want (ranges are useless for this reason). Usually places will accommodate what you ask for if they want you, as long as the number is not too far outside their expectations. I've never had a job offer fall through by asking for what I wanted.

It's basically the only way to increase your salary these days.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
So for many jobs the position will have a salary range which is why you can ask:
"What does the position pay?"

If they don't give an answer, ask for more than you are willing to take expecting them to counter you down. Unless you are asking for a number than is totally unreasonable, they won't hold it against you. Remember they already want you for the job, don't be scared to negotiate.

Finally, this is probably the only time that you will have this much control over your pay at the company (barring significant promotions). Most big companies pay small increases or freeze them all together. Make sure you get as much as they are willing to offer.

BE CONFIDENT! And if you aren't confident, then just fake it. Seriously. I get a much better feeling from people who are confident, then those that aren't.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
They can't fire you or deny you the role if you tell them what you want.

Just tell them a little bit higher than what you actually want and decide if their offer is acceptable. If it is not, ask them to raise it. If they are extending an offer it means they want or need you; you are ultimately the decisionmaker.

I've hired people for years, this is how it is supposed to be done.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
With my most recent job I asked for about 5% more than I wanted, and they gave me precisely the number I wanted.

For my friend he simply asked for a little more than their initial offer.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I asked for $15k above my first offer out of grad school and was able to get $10k out of it. I was absolutely willing to walk away from the first offer on principle because it was the same hourly equivalent as I got during my Master's internship.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for not responding to the posts, y'all. I was consumed by my thoughts all morning. The conversation went great. I was never asked my number, she just that they want to offer me the job for a particular salary which sounded good to me. I took it, and glad the hurdle is over. I did read some of your posts before the phone call, so thank you.