• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm hoping this thread can be rebooted after the last one that was built on a faulty foundation as we can probably still have some meaningful discussion. Mods, feel free to close it if you disagree.

Neil Druckmann recently spoke with The New Yorker (relevant section at the very bottom) where he revealed the first real tidbit about his upcoming project and how they're aiming to structure the writing of this game:

His next project, he revealed, was a game that was "structured more like a TV show" than anything else Naughty Dog had made—for which he'd taken a highly unusual step. He wasn't writing the script alone, or with a single partner. He was assembling a writers' room.

Neil further clarified on Twitter:

View: https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1607817418541498369?s=20&t=6v26sCFtS7sakx4z5WUnmQ

Additional note, since some have wondered if the above project is for the upcoming TLOU MP game. Neil isn't directing the TLOU MP game, it's being headed by Vinit Agarwal, Anthony Newman and Joseph Pettinati. At Summer Game Fest they talked about those 3 directing TLOU MP and at the very end of that segment Geoff asked Neil what he's directing and he said it's a little early to talk about it, but he hasn't give up his day job. Whatever he's working on is separate from TLOU MP. Maybe it's a new IP, or maybe it's TLOU Part 3, we can only guess. I'm personally guessing a new IP.

Oct 25, 2017
Good, I hope this allows them to make some more inclusive choices going forward and inject some new life into their projects.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Kinda makes sense for no longer him write the game by himself.

He is the Co- President, and ND been expanding alot even to other mediums. Having a team of writers just makes too much sense to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
More developers who can do this, should. Many videogame writers have great ideas but there are so many concepts that can flourish when their development is shared.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll carry over this quote from the other thread as well. Seems like a natural progression of the moves he's been making over the years. Interested to see the end result
But Hollywood's relationship to video games, he thought, was changing by degrees...Ten years earlier, he'd surprised his teammates by persuading Gustavo Santaolalla, an Oscar-winning composer, to score The Last of Us. For its sequel, he'd enlisted Halley Gross, best known for HBO's "Westworld," as his co-writer. Druckmann's own approach had changed as a result. He had continued to recruit from television, and made it clear to a cinematographer on "The Last of Us" that the door was open if she ever wanted to jump mediums. His next project, he revealed, was a game that was "structured more like a TV show" than anything else Naughty Dog had made—for which he'd taken a highly unusual step. He wasn't writing the script alone, or with a single partner. He was assembling a writers' room.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
More developers who can do this, should. Many videogame writers have great ideas but there are so many concepts that can flourish when their development is shared.
I sort of alluded to this in the previous thread, but I'm kinda mindblown this isn't already more standard across the industry, Naughty Dog included. Sometimes the highs are so high I can't believe it was just one or two people writing those beats.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I sort of alluded to this in the previous thread, but I'm kinda mindblown this isn't already more standard across the industry, Naughty Dog included. Sometimes the highs are so high I can't believe it was just one or two people writing those beats.
SSM already have like 10 writers.

Probably going to be more common more often for AAA games.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Maybe Factions is like Destiny ?
That requires a big writing team to keep the GAAS engine running with content ?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: inflammatory accusations
Good thread. Unlike the other one that lead to a harassment campaign....

Anyway this should be standard. Definitely a good thing.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yup diverse writers rooms are needed in games they are the ones that really make sure games hit the mark vs having single writers on games that without a good editor over them have tons of blind spots.

Job posting details for the writing team

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Job listing from August gives more information about this new writing team:

For the first time ever, Naughty Dog is building a writing team. We want to fill our room with the best people possible, to make the best games possible.

We are looking for people who challenge us and are excited to be challenged in return. People who bring a perspective to the table and advocate for it. We want experts in story craft who are invigorated by new challenges and new frontiers of narrative.
Naughty Dog has a 30 year history of award-winning games that push the boundaries of story, gameplay, and technology. You'll become a part of that push – discovering the next generation of extraordinary and enduring experiences.

The ideal candidate has experience crafting riveting, character-driven stories, preferably in a team setting. The most crucial – and fulfilling – part of this role is the collaboration. And you'll be collaborating with the best artists, directors, and engineers in any industry.

vivftp maybe worth a threadmark?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I have to imagine that a lot of developers already use this kind of structure where stuff is written in a way that involves collaborative writing, even if informally 🤔 games are deeply collaborative in general and an iterative process kind of demands it, unless production is so fine tuned and perfect that things flow in a single direction all the time.

yelough

Dec 11, 2022
So maybe this could be The Last of Us Part 3 after all? I thought Factions 2 might fit the bill but whatever they are making here seems to be in the earlier stages of development.

Coupled with the most recent leak, it seems plausible. I know people want a new IP from ND but I am honestly hoping it's Part 3 and that it concludes Ellies story.

Waiting close to a decade because Neil made a new IP first would be painful.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I have to imagine that a lot of developers already use this kind of structure where stuff is written in a way that involves collaborative writing, even if informally 🤔 games are deeply collaborative in general and an iterative process kind of demands it, unless production is so fine tuned and perfect that things flow in a single direction all the time.
Not always the case. Usually it's one person, like we know of the more know examples but writing by committee is def kind of a fresh thing. Most devs don't have the budgets at times to have this.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Love how that was somehow intepreted as "ND is making a Quantic dream" game, or takes about ND making movies instead of games when TLOU2 is one of the best playing game in its genre. This place has become more and more like twitter with the number of shit takes

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
That last thread was wild

Why am I not surprised people on the internet freaked out and were totally wrong about something Druckman and TLOU related though , seems to happen a lot lol

This seems like some great news though ,excited to see what they do next

Mar 23, 2018
If it's more like a TV show, I can understand. Otherwise, I believe it would end up with a too many cooks scenario, leaving nobody very satisfied with the product.

Maybe an episodic game with a different writer for each episode? Don't think about it like the Hitman episodes or Man of Medan but each "level" being lead by a different writer. Full game available at release, I mean.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
More input is great, lets them get a bit more creative without losing track of what makes the games great

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good idea to get a writing team in place for large projects, it's clearly worked out for tv and movies. While there's different expectations for games, it is really needed when you have so many characters, settings and stuff to craft out.

JMS

Jul 22, 2022
As long as it doesn't have un-skipable cutscenes like God Of War Ragnarok i'm all up for it

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
good. I think a lot of creatives should have other writers on the team so others could tell them "wow that's not a good idea"

"No kojima, "she breaths through skin" is not a good excuse"

The last of us was very much structure like a tv show movie. in fact, I think druckmann literally used that quote when comparing part 1 v. part 2? said part 1 was like a movie, part 2 was like a novel. soooo, it would 100% make sense if part 3 is like a tv show (and go along with part 1 being like a movie & part 2 being like a novel) with hub worlds & each part having its own story much like part 1 was.

Also, part 3 makes too much sense as druckmann was working on something while doing the show That is based on part 1. also the fact that the show will have alot of new additions (anna, new infected.) that just like something you would expect to see in a part 3… I also fully bet Mazin is gonna be part of this room as well With gross.

speaking of, glad druckmann is assembling a writers room this time. He works best in collaboration And I feel this approach will definitely fix the problems of part 2 that relate to editing & poor treatment of minorities.

LongDongJunon

Nov 13, 2017
I don't even know what happened in the last thread but it was clearly enough to get it closed. Y'all are wild.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what kind of challenges this presents. It could potentially lead to a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. If you have a single writer, that person will have a singular vision for the writing. How do you get an entire team of people on the same page when it comes to something as personal as writing a story.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they get some black voices in there to avoid the shit in his last two games

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what kind of challenges this presents. It could potentially lead to a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. If you have a single writer, that person will have a singular vision for the writing. How do you get an entire team of people on the same page when it comes to something as personal as writing a story.
like every other medium manages to do it. I think they will he fine

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
If it's more like a TV show, I can understand. Otherwise, I believe it would end up with a too many cooks scenario, leaving nobody very satisfied with the product.
Depends on the size of the writer's room. Even if it's just one or two more writers, having extra people to bounce ideas off of or contribute can help even a small project.

Hopefully they get some black voices in there to avoid the shit in his last two games

This, too. It opens the door for much more positive representation.