• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good video and idea for a series. but I honestly think inviting someone who has used the medium in creative and unique ways to present a story that can only be told in video games would have been more appropriate. I think unlike most people, I see The Last of Us as a regression of storytelling in games due to the shift towards more static movie-like methods of telling a story. A great technical achievement to be sure, but not something I would put on a pedastal to show what the medium is capable of. I hope TLOU2 has more enviornmental storytelling, because the glimpses of it in TLOU1 were promising. I guess the Souls series has rubbed off on me in that way.
Dude you didn't even watch the video based on what you're saying. I love the Souls series but comparing it to The Last of Us is nonsense. If you watched the video you'd understand that Druckmann used cut-scenes to show things that weren't necessarily fun from a game-play perspective but important enough to establish a certain relationship and show character demeanor, such as the beginning with his daughter giving Joel a watch. And beyond that, the video even goes into how through gameplay, you gain an emotional connection to these characters where over time, something as simple as boosting Ellie up, which you had done numerous times before, isn't the same because something is off about her due to what transpired in the chapter before it.

A "regression in storytelling," my butt. And for the record, I think The Last of Us does everything and more that the Souls games do. It has dialogue, items to inspect and read, conversation, and environmental storytelling, just the same as in the Souls games. But what do Souls games lack? A deeper inspection of the character you play as. You can argue that Souls games have a much deeper lore and history, one that's more difficult to parse, but that has no bearing on whether it's better at telling its story (which it isn't).

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good video and idea for a series. but I honestly think inviting someone who has used the medium in creative and unique ways to present a story that can only be told in video games would have been more appropriate. I think unlike most people, I see The Last of Us as a regression of storytelling in games due to the shift towards more static movie-like methods of telling a story. A great technical achievement to be sure, but not something I would put on a pedastal to show what the medium is capable of. I hope TLOU2 has more enviornmental storytelling, because the glimpses of it in TLOU1 were promising. I guess the Souls series has rubbed off on me in that way.
Souls is not even on that top of that imo, Nier Automata is the prime example of how you marry gameplay and narrative.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Dude you didn't even watch the video based on what you're saying. I love the Souls series but comparing it to The Last of Us is nonsense. If you watched the video you'd understand that Druckmann used cut-scenes to show things that weren't necessarily fun from a game-play perspective but important enough to establish a certain relationship and show character demeanor, such as the beginning with his daughter giving Joel a watch. And beyond that, the video even goes into how through gameplay, you gain an emotional connection to these characters where over time, something as simple as boosting Ellie up, which you had done numerous times before, isn't the same because something is off about her due to what transpired in the chapter before it.
That moment was so effective. I always bring it up as an example of simple but powerful storytelling through gameplay. The game conditioned us to that pattern, using the natural repetition of gameplay to ingrain that action in our heads and render it invisible, and then breaks that familiarity at the precise moment for huge impact

Last edited:

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That moment was so effective. I always bring it up as an example of simple but powerful storytelling through gameplay. The game conditioned us to that pattern, using the natural repetition of gameplay to ingrain that action in our heads and rend it invisible, and then breaks that familiarity as the precise moment for huge impact
We Pavlov's now :p