• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Understandable, given that Factions is also coming so you don't watch to put too much out there without giving it room to breath. Looking forward to their next title :)

did not watch the video so I'm going off the OP summary haha.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
people seem oddly attached to an imaginary game based on an imaginary movie based on a random poster in a game series many apparently also hate.

OP
OP
nolifebr

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I could be wrong, but when I was watching this live, I believe he didn't say it isn't TLoU3. He distinctly says that he can't confirm what the game is one way or another, aside from it being what the team was most excited for when it came time to decide what they were going to do next. But he said he wouldn't say if it was TLoU3 or something else.

I mean, he even mentions that he knows that fans want a third game BUT they already choose their next project.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I dodn't watch it but I saw myltiple people saying he didn't actually deny tlou3 being their next game after faction. I'd love it either way but I hope they have their next ip in pre production by now at least.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
man TLOU multiplayer is such a waste of ND talents, hopefully they finish that quickly and move on to their next great single player game.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
I could be wrong, but when I was watching this live, I believe he didn't say it isn't TLoU3. He distinctly says that he can't confirm what the game is one way or another, aside from it being what the team was most excited for when it came time to decide what they were going to do next. But he said he wouldn't say if it was TLoU3 or something else.
Yeah I agree with your interpretation.

Neil Druckmann said:
I know the fans really want The Last of Us Part III. I hear about it all the time. And all I can say is that, look, we're already into our next project. The decision has already been made. I can't say what it is, but that's the process we went through: that there was a lot of consideration of lots of different things and we picked the thing we're most excited for.

Nothing in there says it's not 3. It's a response to a question about how they decide what games to make and to the statement that lots of fans want a new Last of Us. So it's basically saying that they're not going to just make 3 because people want them to (or because of pressure to make a big success) - they're going to make the game they want to make. That might be 3 and it might something else.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us Part II: Part I

A reworking of Part II for the PS5 that'll form the basis of season 2 of the TV show.

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he even mentions that he knows that fans want a third game BUT they already choose their next project.
This is his exact quote: "I know the fans really want The Last of Us Part 3, I hear about it all the time. All I can say is that...look we are already into our next project. The decision has already been made. I can't say what it is, but that's the process we went through. That there was a lot of consideration of different things, and we picked the thing we were most excited for."

He is very specifically not saying it is or isn't TLOU3.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
it won't be TLoU but some other similar 3rd person cinematic game but people will be happy because it has a coat of "new IP."

booo, gimme TLoU3! make it a trilogy!

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair it seems like they could release their next big game (besides Factions) in, say, 2025 and another project in 2026 or 2027, which still feels far away now that I think about it lol.

More interesting than TLoU is certainly a tall order, but they might achieve it. I'd like to see ND's take on the sci-fi genre.
I'm going to catch flack for this, but I find TLOU not very interesting at all, aside from the fungus zombies and the great production values, I just find it pretty bog standard post apocalypse scenario. I found Death Stranding more interesting tbh despite not being 100 percent with some of the decisions regarding gameplay.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
it won't be TLoU but some other similar 3rd person cinematic game but people will be happy because it has a coat of "new IP."

booo, gimme TLoU3! make it a trilogy!

I really don't think every game story needs a trilogy. Especially when most people's idea for part 3 is "GIVE ELLIE A KID SO FULL CIRCLE".

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't say it in a way that implies it isn't Part III though. The direct quote from the video at the 33:24 mark:

I know the fans really want The Last of Us: Part III, I hear about it all the time. And all I can say is that, uh... Look, we're already into our next project. So the decision has already been made. I can't say what it is, but that's the process we went through, that there was a lot of consideration of different things, and we picked the thing we were most excited for.
You can read it a number of ways, but he does not say that the "next big Naughty Dog game is not TLoU3". He only says that they went with the thing they were most excited for. Whether that's TLoU3 or something else is up for debate. Your thread title just isn't correct or accurate.

Ostrav

Feb 14, 2023
I'd love to see another game in the series but only if they have a story they want to tell.
Don't be making them just because they're popular.

RezziHD_

Apr 28, 2022
I just feel like what he said is faaaar from making a definitive statement such as him 'confirming' their next game isnt tlou 3.

'Hinting'? Maybe, possibily, but I would even say thats a bit of a stretch imo.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe he said in any definitive way what their next game is or is not.

These are his exact words:

"I know the fans really want Last of Us Part 3, I hear about it all the time. All I can say is that, look we're already into our next project, I can't say what it is."

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
based on that quote this just a discrete way of confirming TLOU 3 is their next game, and you have to be huffing clinical grade copium to interpret it as anything else

which is shame

because i'd love Druckman to say "fuck what HBO wants, the world is ready for Cassie Drake"

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
but hbo ans sony will. will hbo be ok pausing until theyre ready? are there examples with this - don't know how GoT was for instance.
I suppose PlayStation could since it's there IP but going against the showrunners wishes and souring the relationship sounds like a terrible idea.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I really don't think every game story needs a trilogy. Especially when most people's idea for part 3 is "GIVE ELLIE A KID SO FULL CIRCLE".
regardless, TLoU is probably getting a 3rd game.

doesn't matter what most people's idea for 3 is when 2 pretty rolled up and kicked everyone in the crotch unapologetically.

gimme another bleak, dark, fucked up game with a neat message about love and empathy.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer (2023) -> Part II Director's Cut (2023) -> New IP (202?) -> Part III (202?)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
regardless, TLoU is probably getting a 3rd game.

doesn't matter what most people's idea for 3 is when 2 pretty rolled up and kicked everyone in the crotch unapologetically.

Probably. I just wish it wasn't. Or that Naughty Dog would make something charming and actually fun to engage with again for a little while before going back to the daisy chain of shitheads in misery swamp.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I don't believe he said in any definitive way what their next game is or is not.

"I know the fans really want Last of Us Part 3, I hear about it all the time. All I can say is that, look we're already into our next project, I can't say what it is."
OP goofed hard then lol. This quote does not imply one or the other. Druckmann isn't also going to casually drop that "yeah our next game is Last of Us Part 3" in this video lol.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
The thread title here is simply an inaccurate read of what he said. It should probably be changed. He confirmed nothing except The Last of Us multiplayer is the next thing coming.

knack2bae

Banned
Oct 23, 2021
- The next big thing is already into development and it's not TLOU3,

He never says this.

He says he knows fans want The Last of Us Part 3.
He then says they're working on something they're most passionate about.
He never says its not Part 3.

Exactly. This.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Pretty much a nothing burger from Neil. I hope it is TLOU3, I want an end to Ellie's story, well a more definitive end than what we got with Part 2.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Didn't take long for The Last of Us haters to swarm lol.

Naughty Dog is #1 for me and has been for a long time now. Whether its TLOU3 or something else, I'll gladly take it straight into my veins.

And I'll see y'all in Factions in the meantime

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't seem like a confirmation that it isn't Part III. It's crafty PR speak imo. Either way, I look forward to what they put out.

OP
OP
nolifebr

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Blessing asks if he feels any pressure to keep hitting those homeruns, that he needs to keep doing more TLOU and Druckmann replies that he's lucky he doesn't have to think that way, because the studio is successful enough to choose what they want they do. Then he pulls the story that they can work on several projects.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017

oh ok so its tlou3

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Blessing asks if he feels any pressure to keep hitting those homeruns, that he needs to keep doing more TLOU and Druckmann replies that he's lucky he doesn't have to think that way, because the studio is successful enough to choose what they want they do. Then he pulls the story that they can work on several projects.
That still doesn't imply that they aren't working on Part III as their next game after the online title. (Or that they are working on it, for that matter.)

Sep 6, 2022
They way Neil talks about it,
it sounds like Naughty Dog are working on a new IP.

He mentions how fans are constantly asking for TLOU 3, but ND are already well into their next project, which they are passionate about.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but the way he said it makes it sound like a new IP to me 🤔