• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
How long does it take to beat? I played 5h and I'm only at 3% and day 6. It's going to take forever doesn't it?
I feel like I'm simply playing a visual novel.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Started this game just a few days ago and today made my way to W2D2.

Got a quick question regarding the party: Minamoto left at the end of W1, so on which day do I get a fourth party member again? Please refrain from name drops for spoiler reasons, it just irks me playing with an incomplete party and I wanna know. :D

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017
Started this game just a few days ago and today made my way to W2D2.

Got a quick question regarding the party: Minamoto left at the end of W1, so on which day do I get a fourth party member again? Please refrain from name drops for spoiler reasons, it just irks me playing with an incomplete party and I wanna know. :D

You'll get an answer pretty quickly on the day you're on, just keep going :)

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
So now I am stuck at the W3D6 boss, he kicked my ass pretty thoroughly. I would like to leave the area, get some more foods to level up, get new gear, pins etc.

BUT I seemingly cannot escape this guy. I tried running in both directions, but everytime it triggers the cutscene and subsequently the boss fight. I can only return to Shibuya Stream, but that area only has two food places that give very low stats. :/ Can anyone help?

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
So now I am stuck at the W3D6 boss, he kicked my ass pretty thoroughly. I would like to leave the area, get some more foods to level up, get new gear, pins etc.

BUT I seemingly cannot escape this guy. I tried running in both directions, but everytime it triggers the cutscene and subsequently the boss fight. I can only return to Shibuya Stream, but that area only has two food places that give very low stats. :/ Can anyone help?
Use the Chapter Select to warp to a previous chapter/location?

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I started it a couple of days ago, even though I bought it @ black friday (school, work, etc...)
Currently @ W1D7. Pretty cool so far, although I wish the map was a bit bigger with more variation, feels like going back and forth for the whole game would get a bit old.

Something about Minamimoto's presence seems really weird to me - the cast treats him like he's not there most of the time, yet he's there for literally every fight. What's up with that?

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I started it a couple of days ago, even though I bought it @ black friday (school, work, etc...)
Currently @ W1D7. Pretty cool so far, although I wish the map was a bit bigger with more variation, feels like going back and forth for the whole game would get a bit old.

Something about Minamimoto's presence seems really weird to me - the cast treats him like he's not there most of the time, yet he's there for literally every fight. What's up with that?
I took it as if he's just observing, collecting data. Minamimoto isn't there to be buddy-buddy with the group. Probably just follows them without saying much lol.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I got the secret reports but trying to fight the secret boss in another day was the braking point for me, I didn't feel gearing up to beat him would extract any more fun from the game for me so I decided to end things there.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished this. The last week started off nicely but was severely dragging towards the end.

Can't say I was a fan of the "replay" abuse throughout the game, but they really pushed that thing in our face too much there at the final day.
Fighting against Shiba, losing to the noise, making Shiba not fight us, losing to the noise (except Rindo), going back, recruiting Shiba & friends and then a very annoying final boss (that looked cool though) soured my experience.

I'm also very ambivalent towards how they incorporated the OG cast into this game, besides Beat maybe.
Neku's entry was state of the art deus ex machina. I was excited to see him and moreso having him in the team, but they really should have given a better back story then "Neku was between worlds" or somecrap only to emerge and 1HKO Minamimoto for reasons.

Same for Rhyme, Shiki and Joshua. I loved seeing them but I wish their time in this game was more developed and "worthy", if it makes sense.
Perhaps they didn't want to outshine the new cast too much, which is definitely a good reason. I just feel like they could have handled the juggling of the new & old better.
Overall I feel like this game is ~10 hours too long. The pacing in the second half of the game really started to be a bit of a drag, where as I felt the pacing was strong in the beginning and like the game didn't waste too much of my time.

I'm definitely not going to 100% this game, and I don't even know if I'll finish Another Day (is it good?). Guess I just need a little break from this.
Shoka & Rindo's romance is everything though. Was happy to see their cute meeting at the end. Her being Swallow took me by surprise even though I should've known better.

I also really wish this game had more animated cutscenes, that could have sold important moments a lot better than dialogue & pictures. I guess the budget they had was severely lacking :/

xexhaga34

Mar 27, 2022
So, I just finished the game and I didn't quite love it. I might be too critical, and maybe this is just because I played the game in the wrong mood or so, but I felt like this was just a mediocre experience that I tried to love as much as I could, but couldn't honestly achieve to like it as much I hoped.

I feel like the story was just really disconnected from one half to the other. For me, it felt like Week 1 and Week 2 was TWEWY2 in Shibuya, and Week 3 would have been TWEWY3 in Shinjuku, as W3 introduces a whole new bunch of characters last-minute and centers the action about what happened in Shinjuku without never getting to visit it. Overall, the game felt like it suffered from the same narrative structure from the Kingdom Hearts games. The important plot stuff happens at the beginning and end of the game, with some plot reveleations sprinkled at certain milestones (end of the week). I'm not going to comment on Nomura recycling Sora's KH3 for Neku and the climax of the game straight up copypasting the first Seven Lights clash against the Org XIII in Keyblade Graveyard. (He's just a Creative Producer, but I KNOW he entered the pitch from this game with Sora and Gaia's Neku and Shoka's designs and asked the team to incorporate the same Time Travel plot beats from KH3 just because).

The group dynamic in the first two weeks was underutilized. The groups basically amounted to 3 single characters + their minions (who looked the same no matter which group were they part from). And the only group to have individual characters, the Ruinbringers, turns out to be the Reapers. Speaking of which, the twist that they have rigged the game would have been cool and unexpected if it wasn't because these Shinjuku Reapers are not following a single rule from the original game. The Reaper Game is so different from the one that Neku and his friends played that at one point you even wonder if it really was a big deal that the Shinjuku Reapers themselves were playing against the Players. The game pulls twists like this all the time, conveniently introducing "Shinjuku Rules" like "If you stop being a Shinjuku Reaper, then you get erased at the end of the next game", "Alive players can play this Reaper Game too", "No entry fee is allowed" that you just stat asking youself why they didn't spend the first week setting these new rules instead of having practically nothing of plot happen other than meeting Nagi.

The party itself had some pretty cool dynamics, but the individual characters felt a bit ehh. Rindo didn't have any kind of character development through the game, and while he wasn't offensive, I just can't take seriously that they really meant "he struggles to decide between two options" to be his character trait to resolve through the game. During the first days I thought that the game was hinting at him having anger issues by the way he treated Fret at times, but that never gets followed upon other than him saying sorry once and that's it. Nagi was really good, when she didn't enter Lord Minamimoto territory, I loved that she really struggled to communicate with others and to find her place in the world and still fit within the game without making a big deal out of it, she was just a special person that managed to form new bonds without having to really change. Neku wasn't offensive, but he was barely in the game and most of his interactions with the party are basically "I'm just here to support you guys". Beat was great, like in the original game. And then, I really felt like they were going to pull a Junpei from Persona 3 with Fret with having the charming, extrovert and sometimes irritating member of the party fall in love with the rival female character... only from Kanon to get the Chidori treatment and never get mentioned again. Seeing Fret hitting on Rhyme three days after Kanon is deceased felt disjointed. Shoka had a pretty cool character arc, but I spent the entire latter part of the game thinking that Nomura had found a way to recycle the Stella from Versus XIII plot point with her when she kept referencing a "secret" that couldn't confess to Rindo, Fret mentioning a deceased friend, memory loss being a thing in the original TWEWY game and so. But no, turns out that her secret was... that she was Swallow the entire time lol Give me a break, is there ANY reason why Shoka couldn't mention her being Swallow to Rindo at any point in Week 3? "They took away my account when I stopped being a Reaper so I couldn't tell you", sis, did they took away your braincells and ability to speak too? I had the theory that Swallow was going to be either Rhyme, Shiki or Shoka, but since when she joined the team she never really mentions anything then I just discarded her. Won't comment on the lingering mystery of the game being "who played Pokémon Go with Rindo?" versus "who killed Neku?" from the original game.

On other systems from the game, I didn't feel like the sidequests were any remarkable. They had some side-characters and an entire city to build upon and most of the sidequests felt like invidual one-shot incidents that could have happened with characters from any franchise, in any setting. I didn't get the combat system, but that's totally my fault. From Week 3 onwards I just stopped bothering with non-mandatory fights since they introduced the Plague noise and the HP sponges variations that made the combat just not fun. The Scramble Slam was offensive and I felt so grateful that it got thrown away in the first half of the game. The time travel made long days feel longer, repeating too many dialogues and not offering many interesting situations. Most of the chapters followed the "Rindo gets a vision but doesn't have the details, the day goes on as normal, the party gets an unearned bad ending, and now Rindo needs to go back to every single location the party visited speaking to people". Most of the time travels just involve getting more information before the last incident, or coming to the place of the incident before the perpetrator.

The ending was cool. But it dragged on. Replaying the last day 3 times felt too much. The Kubo twist would have made sense if we got to fight him and he didn't get deus ex obliberated when he wins again. Tsugume getting the Aqua KH3 treatment after being teased for 10 years felt comical. Joshua granting Shoka a new life while the other innocent people like Kanon or Ayano just continue being dead felt pretty jarring. Most of the time, undoing deaths at the end of a story feels cheap, but this time it would have been nice. Joshua pretty much came back for 2 minutes at the end so he could ask who was the girl Tetsuya Nomura designed and promoted her to main girl status lol

The original game ending with the title change to "The World Begins With You" felt emotional and earned because of Neku's journey and Joshua/Hanekoma's words. NEO pulling the same after the game ends with Shoka tsundering her way through Shibuya's crossroads and asking Rindo to trade her a Pokémon felt like I was losing something big on translation.

I feel like I'm being too harsh on the game and complaining way too much. I feel like TWEWY was a really special game (I'm not really the biggest fan, though), and I enjoyed coming back to its universe with NEO. I also enjoyed the party, seeing the original cast slowly come back and get entwined with the new plot. Since we're never getting a new game in the series, I just hope Beat and Nagi make it safely onto new Kingdom Hearts games.
I'm gonna be real with you, this post just feels like you skimmed through a lot of the game without actually taking the time to take it all in.
Rindo's an almost painfully realistic depiction of your average teenager: a guy that has no confidence in himself and the decisions he makes and tries to pass off his responsibilities onto other people whenever he gets the chance to. He's quiet, reserved, and very closed off, only ever truly opening up to his friend Swallow, and you can see this constantly when you peer into his head and observe how he neurotically commentates on every move he or someone else does. He also has the tendency to take the people around him for granted. In some ways, he's lot like Neku in the sense that he's cut himself off from other people but whereas Neku actively rejected other people, Rindo just doesn't care to get close to them. Even when their team needed more people so they could survive just one week, Rindo preferred relying on the skills Sho had already shown them rather than even trying to meet Nagi, and he might not've recruited her if not for him trying to avoid having her Dive into his head again. There's also he didn't confide into his teammates about his time travel abilities until Sho dragged it out in the open for the others to know about. To Rindo, following along with who he already knew while not confiding in them kept him safe and able to just slip through life without having to worry. In that sense, I honestly feel that his arc is more organic and fluid compared to Neku's and I say this as someone who loves Neku's character arc. Compare his first run-in with Nagi when she accidentally Dives into his mind to his behavior on all the iterations of the Last Day, where he takes charge, listens to his teammates fully, seeks and reaches out to people, and overpasses his aversion of going towards people to make the first connection. He's actually the one willing to do the first step and remind people of what's at stake, instead of being lead around on a whim by others.

Over the course of the game/Game, Rindo grows from someone not deciding anything to avoid the responsibility of a bad outcome and bristling when called out on that, to someone becoming brave enough to fully undertake the weight of such decisions, willing to risk himself in a bit more and as a leader, and fully expressing his opinion about things and plans instead of just poking holes into others' ideas and appropriating their advices as his like he did with Swallow.

As for the Fret thing, what exactly do you mean by him flirting with Rhyme? That's just how he introduces himself to a lot of the cast, including Neku and Beat. He's also shown to be still hurting over Kanon on Week 3 Day 5, which Nagi actually takes notice of and goes out of her way to help him move past it.

As for Shoka, there's a very good reason for why she didn't tell Rindo the truth about who she is. Due to her betraying the Reapers at the end of the last week, she was already setting herself up to die due to their rule that former Reapers get erased at the end. It's why Ayano was freaking the fuck out about trying to bring her back. As far as Shoka knew, there wasn't any possible way for her to come back to life since only the Composer has the authority to do that and he's currently MIA. Due to this, and her already dire depression and suicidal issues, Shoka didn't want her best friend to know that he actually got to know his online friend before she passed away and wanted to spare him the heartbreak when she inevitably gets erased and he gets to live. The only reason she even tells him the truth in the second-to-last timeline was because she figured that they were already fucked against the Dissonance Noise due to how Rindo already traveled through time and make the Noise even stronger and so she decided that she might as well tell him the truth before it's ultimately too late.
And as a side-note, "alive players can play this Reaper Game too" was a concept that was brought up in the first game, with Kariya even mistaking Joshua as one.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
A heads up:

This is half price for PC on the Epic store right now if you've been waiting for a sale

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
A heads up:

This is half price for PC on the Epic store right now if you've been waiting for a sale
Anyone who wants to play it on PC, GET IT! It also gets a 50% off on the eShop when SEnix does their sales there, which is basically every month, I suppouse it is the same on PSN but I can't confirm it.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who adored the original on release, I am happy to say I finally beat NEO today. I started in February, but Elden Ring and school took over. I just beat it today.

That said, I really enjoyed it, but my goodness, the final few days reaaaaaaalllyyy like to take their time. I won't go into spoilers, but I was just thinking "is it over yet?"

I loved the cast of characters, but I don't think the game needed to be as long as it was. Those NPC fights and shibuya slams were really not great.

Overall, I really liked it a lot! :) the only character I didn't like was Nagi. She was way too one-note and became really annoying.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it and find it criminally underrated it terms of sales.

15 years or so after the first game and they still managed to capture the vibe and music in this sequel.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

15 years or so after the first game and they still managed to capture the vibe and music in this sequel.
Yep, it's infuriating how they dropped the ball on the marketing for this. Game is incredible.

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
It really is a great game, the cast is wonderful.

If I had one complaint is that characters backstories and relationships between the characters could be a bit more fleshed out.

bananaramma

Aug 13, 2020
I was lucky enough to get it early and triple-dipped. I adore everything about this game and series. It is a shame TWEWY is such a pain to play on the Switch. I am convinced they could have done a much better port/reimagining of it utilizing the partner system.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017

I love NEO but I think the TWEWY brand is destined to cult status despite having all the trappings that should make for a big hit. I love both TWEWY and NEO and would love a 3rd entry 15 years from now that will also be amazing but sell similarly poorly.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how well they captured the vibe of the original so many years later. NEO was almost the perfect sequel for me; I just felt the story was a huge step back.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It's legitimately one of my favorite games of all time (somewhere in my top ten). No other games does it like TWEWY.

It's a shame we'll never get a third, but at least NEO exists.

I was lucky enough to get it early and triple-dipped. I adore everything about this game and series. It is a shame TWEWY is such a pain to play on the Switch. I am convinced they could have done a much better port/reimagining of it utilizing the partner system.
Early as in the Square Enix oversight? That's one of my gaming memories I will never forget. I took the week off and just stayed in my room playing hours upon hours of NEO weeks early because it unlocked on the eshop early.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
Takeharu Ishimoto released an acoustic album for TWEWY.

View: https://twitter.com/ishimoto_music/status/1754892368816550293

石元丈晴 Takeharu Ishimoto

@ishimoto_music

すばらしきこのせかい TWEWY acoustic 発売です! 世の中には時代の流れで色々な音楽が存在する。でも自分は自分でしか無いし、他人を真似ても意味がない。それは自分では無いからだ。等身大でやりたい事をやって行く。ありがとう音楽! #新すばせか #すばせかアニメ #TWEWY

Translated from Japanese by
The wonderful world of TWEWY acoustic is now on sale! There are various kinds of music in the world depending on the flow of the times. But I am only myself, and there is no point in imitating others. That's because it's not me. I will do what I want to do on a larger scale. Thank you music!

open.spotify.com

TWEWY acoustic

石元 丈晴 · Album · 2024 · 11 songs.
music.youtube.com

TWEWY acoustic

A new music service with official albums, singles, videos, remixes, live performances and more for Android, iOS and desktop. It's all here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

open.spotify.com

TWEWY acoustic

music.youtube.com

TWEWY acoustic

A new music service with official albums, singles, videos, remixes, live performances and more for Android, iOS and desktop. It's all here.

Oh shit finally, it's been cooking for a long time at this point

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017

open.spotify.com

TWEWY acoustic

music.youtube.com

TWEWY acoustic

Awesome!

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Man I might be stupid because Fret had to repeatedly spell out loud for me what Rindo's character flaw was for me to get it. Sometimes in these games the protagonist is just very passive! It's not as visible as Neku's flaw I guess. It's oddly cozy about it as the end of Week 2, the team doesn't seem to have a plan besides win the game while also establishing that everyone knows the game is rigged. Just focused on the characters getting to know each other and have people unravel/introduce mysteries. Since it's not about partners anymore, there's a lot more character banter. It's really cool to see Beat again, his bravado now comes across as genuine rather than posturing, matured but familiar. Feels like his personality overlaps with Fret being the over enthusiastic party member though.

I'm on W2D6 and unlocked using two pins on the same button, which sounded confusing but I get it now. They managed to capture the frantic chaos of the DS battle system and Scramble Slams finally taught me to engage with setting up Beatdrops and pay attention to the move timings. It's frantic and rewarding and throws something novel at you steadily.

I'll get there eventually. Scramble Slams tend to grind my progress to a crawl because I really want the first prize, so I obsessively save before each encounter to make sure I'm optimizing my point gain. I know I could just replay the game but you only have your first playthrough once!