• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
In a brief statement included in the results briefing uploaded just today, Yosuke Matsuda shared that, along with H1 being under last year's sales numbers for the HD Games sub-segment, NEO: The World Ends With you didn't surpass Square Enix's initial expectations.

While the HD Games sub-segment released such home console titles as "OUTRIDERS," "NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139…", "NEO: The World Ends with You," and "Life is Strange: True Colors," its net sales were lower than in the same period of the previous fiscal year, which had seen the release of "FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE" and "Marvel's Avengers."

While "NEO: The World Ends with You" was well received by users, it has underperformed our initial expectations.

tQOTZ7S.png

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, it got released with little fanfare. Idk what SE expected with such poor marketing lol

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They were also very stingy with review codes. That certainly didn't help with getting a variety of gaming press and influencers on board with it.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
... at least they know it was well received by users.
They should throw it on PS+ or Gamepass

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it would've performed better if they had, uh, marketed it.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I mean it would be cool if it were popular but it was a miracle the game happened in the first place after such a long time
Be happy we even got a sequel

addik

Oct 28, 2017
They literally sent this to die.

I don't know what they were thinking of giving this minimal exposure at E3. They could have pulled out all the stops there and then more.

TornadoDDT

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 25, 2021
Such a shame. It's a freaking amazing game, with one of the GOAT soundtracks and probably my favorite JRPG combat.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thirds times the charm when a third game comes out 15 years later then I suppose.

I did my part...

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised that it under performed since I barely saw any marketing for it and didn't know it came out until it went on sale once on PSN.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I did my part, haven't finished it yet but the fact that we got a sequel is in itself great and I'm glad we did.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I really don't think the marketing was anywhere near as bad as people say it was. It got a bunch of trailers and its only real misstep was not having an E3 trailer. Otherwise I can't imagine what more they could have done. It is ultimately a game with niche appeal.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
It's not fair, it's so good! Meanwhile, Cyberpunk and Tales have nominees for Top RPG at the TGAs.

At least we got closure so we don't have to have any loose strings left over. Square's AA level stuff is their most interesting to me, so I hope this doesn't discourage them.

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of a hard sell honestly.

Late, for the fans sequel on different hardware. I think the Switch port of the original kind of sucks. And for newcomers the sequel's story is pretty welcoming until it kind of isn't.

I guess that's what the anime was for, but how many of you would go out on a limb if your friends tried to convince you to try something that way. Just trying to imagine the likelihood of me trying this had I not played the original on DS.

Enjoyed it a lot, but even I never felt comfortable pushing it on people not familiar with the IP.

They could've at least showed a trailer during that E3 presentation that was like a month before release.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I played a bit of the first one and put it down, just wasnt much fun. That guaranteed I wouldnt look at this one

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
This game definitely coulda done better if it was marketed better to the weeb/JRPG crowd, cause everyone I saw who knew about the game thought it looked cool and gave off P5 vibes, but the majority of people just...didn't know it existed at all. Like I'm kinda shocked I didn't see a single vtuber playing this game, even as a sponsored stream, cause that's the exact crowd that would buy up this game.

I guess just be happy the game got a sequel at all.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Man, if only there were a big expo just before the game launched where they could have given the game a nice focus and shown it off to the mainstream audience.

I wouldn't be surprised if the awful re-release of the first game put people off as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I just grabbed it this week actually, I should have got it at launch but I had no time to play it. Plus I want a refresher on the OG.

NEO TWEWY was just on sale too. I don't think it is on sale again for the Black Friday deals. At least not on Switch.

I just got done waxing about the DS version of the OG version in another thread.

While that game is magnificent, I'd actually point people in the direction of the Switch version of the original if more people paid more attention to working out how to actually maximise that game's potential. How to use the battle system efficiently/etc.

Of course the DS mechanics are better, but when we get down to it both are completely un-orthodox and are a giant barrier to entry to un-assuming audiences.

Never mind it's never been an easy game to actually purchase in any fashion.

I am not holding my breath for a sequel to Radiant Historia either.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...maybe I'll also buy a PC copy.

Never played the original, but gave NEO a shot. It's a damn good game that deserves better than this. At least it wraps its story up, which apparently the original didn't do.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
...maybe I'll also buy a PC copy.

Never played the original, but gave NEO a shot. It's a damn good game that deserves better than this. At least it wraps its story up, which apparently the original didn't do.

The original wraps up it's story as much as NEO does. It's the expanded editions like the iOS and Switch versions that left cliffhangers.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, if only there were a big expo just before the game launched where they could have given the game a nice focus and shown it off to the mainstream audience.

I wouldn't be surprised if the awful re-release of the first game put people off as well.
TWEWY1 is my favorite game. I couldn't do the Switch port for longer than 3 hours. Holding the switch with a stylus just doesn't feel right, they cut the gameplay in half basically and then just thematically.

Happy we got a sequel mostly because they had been teasing one for the last 10 years, but if this is it and we all agree it is, that's fine honestly.

Would've liked some DLC to gain a little more perspective on a returning character, but they did sort of answer most of my questions already.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think the marketing was anywhere near as bad as people say it was. It got a bunch of trailers and its only real misstep was not having an E3 trailer. Otherwise I can't imagine what more they could have done. It is ultimately a game with niche appeal.
Up until the demo I honestly had no clue how the game played, and they only really did written previews about the gameplay prior to that. Players shouldn't really be confused at how a game functions until the launch.

The E3 misstep.

Their marketing on social media was weirdly focused on items/food in the game rather than attempting to appeal to people by sharing the very funny dialogue from the game. It was like they didn't know the game was quirky and had meme potential.

They didn't seem to try and get influencers on board with the game. How hard would it have been to get some mid to big names playing the game?

Appeal to their existing audiences. There were FF references all over the game. They could have use that as a marketing tool. Crossover items in an active mobile game?

Heck, they could have baited the KH fans somehow without directly referencing KH to avoid copyright nonsense. After Nomura did that interview about how there wouldn't be any KH references, it seemed to deflate a lot of people who learned about TWEWY via KH. But regardless, there were very easily bait-able aspects of the game like the Dive and Remind features. Pretty certain there were a few Utada references because the translator for this game loves her.

There was a lot that could have been done. A creative marketing campaign could have boosted sales a little bit more than what they got, at least.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
They released it to die in the middle of summer with no marketing and the PC version was MIA until very recently, and only on EGS

I mean, Square what is you doing

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Christ this one hurts. I waited more than a decade for this was one, it ended up being of the best titles SE put out, and it just bombs. SMGDH.

Last edited:

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
If Epic money doesn't at least cover your sale expectation, then STOP PUTTING IT ON EGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fucking hell Square-Enix.

RIP Gravity Rush, TWEWY.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Not a surprise, but still a disappointment.

There was only one thing I wanted from a sequel to the original TWEWY (seeing Shiki's real face, and in general learning what happened to the cast after the events of the game), and we got that, so thankfully the series doesn't really need a third game.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
In addition to more marketing and media exposure, I think a snappier title and more readable logo would've helped quite a bit. Compared to other JRPGs, the logo and boxart for NEO TWEWY is weirdly easy to overlook.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
The complete and utter lack of marketing, chaining the prequel to one system, and delayed EGS exclusive launch didn't help.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They apparently did some retcons that made the anime the canonical version of the original story preceeding the second game(iirc?) but took like half a year to get the English dub of it started, only to not use the game voice actors. And apart from Epic's exclusivity, the PC version also took forever to come out. TWEWY was my favorite childhood game but the hype was killed for me, still on the backburner.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The first game is one of my favorite games of all time. NEO doesn't quite satisfy my expectation of the sequel, but I still really enjoyed it. I'm sad that it's probably the last we'll see if the franchise, but I'm thankful we got a sequel.