• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait until the next generation of lore/analysis videos start popping up on YT. Kinda exciting.

Casualmom

Oct 25, 2017
Lilith being the second angel is only established within the Rebuild films IIRC. In the show it's just meant to be an inference that you can interpret in whatever way you want.
Its been a super long time since Ive seen the show but I thought Kawrou makes some mention of what is actually in the basement of nerv to shinji in episode 24. I could be way off though.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
That's technically not Netflix putting that out. That's Disney.

Point is Netflix is not themselves a physical media publisher.

But they won't stop others from publishing, even shows that are "Netflix exclusive". Just like Castlevania I mentioned.

Eva would still need to find a physical publisher.
The Target-exclusive Stranger Things box sets seem to be solely published by Netflix.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Target-exclusive Stranger Things box sets seem to be solely published by Netflix.
Seems to be. Though with Target handling distribution (and manufacturing?) it doesn't seem like Netflix actually has the manufacturing + supply chain you'd expect from a real publisher.

I'm sure Netflix can do anything they want to. There's just no reason to think they're our saviour for a physical release at this point.

Last edited:

javac

Oct 28, 2017
An excuse to post some original production material I have, damn I love evangelion.
eZ3sT3Y.jpg

ZOmRA4g.jpg

gJjH76O.jpg

pNzRwlU.jpg

Fn5IOT6.jpg

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix sometimes distributes their original content on disc right? Is there ANY hope they could be the ones to finally distribute the Eva bluray in the states?
I can't see why Netflix would want to get involved in that mess at all. They'd have to pay another hefty licensee for the rights to release it on home media, then pay for the manufacture/warehousing/distribution - doesn't seem like it would mesh with their business model.
The Japanese rights holders have been very stupid with this license, at least until now.
Hard to say if they've been stupid or just extremely arrogant. When you have a property as potent as Evangelion (that's still generating money on a regular basis) you can just sit and wait for someone to pay your ridiculous license fee.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly was the deal with the Bluray version never coming over? Were the rights just up in the air?

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that the release of the series on Netflix will help to realign the discussion surrounding the show, which I believe has gotten really off-track in recent years.

There's been lots of discussion of the series over the decades but the further we get away from the airing of the series the further discourse has moved from actually examining the series as a TV show. As this thread demonstrates, a great deal of the discourse has turned towards the meta-elements of the series such as: the director's state of mind, or the Christian imagery, or the fan response to the ending - none of which is an actual engagement and discussion of the series on its own merits. I'd be far more interested to hear how people feel about the direction, or the pacing, or the way the characters develop - things that are now common parts of discussing and dissecting a TV show.

It would be great if people can come to this series with a fresh perspective, unburdened by all the baggage that's built up over the years, so that they can just talk about the show itself. I'd strongly recommend that anyone who hasn't watched the show before and wants to, to do the same. Don't fall down the rabbit hole of endless meta-discussion, just check out the show and see how you feel about it - that's all.
I'd certainly like to do some sort of episode by episode analysis when it releases on netflix

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hard to say if they've been stupid or just extremely arrogant. When you have a property as potent as Evangelion (that's still generating money on a regular basis) you can just sit and wait for someone to pay your ridiculous license fee.
Same club as the Dawn of the Dead 1978 rights holder..... grrrr....

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Studio Khara won all the rights to Evangelion from Gainax, didn't they? It could be they're being really tight-fisted with the rights due to how it was handled in the '90s.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're really lucky that the reputation of the show has kept knowledge of it alive, because it's usually a terrible idea to just take a show off the market completely for over a decade. Entire generations have grown up with no legal/affordable way to watch it.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Probably cost too much for any distributor to care. The US I'm taking about. I think it's come out in other regions.

I'm sort of surprised Aniplex didn't snatch it up and then release it for incredibly high prices like they've done for other shows, but maybe they couldn't get it either.

Funimation did get the Rebuild films so I always expected they'd get the full series. I wouldn't be surprised if they had tried before.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm optimistic, but I like to think they gave the worldwide license for streaming because they want to drum up again interest in NGE, because the 4.0 movie will come soon.
(hah hah who I'm kidding).

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sort of surprised Aniplex didn't snatch it up and then release it for incredibly high prices like they've done for other shows, but maybe they couldn't get it either.

Funimation did get the Rebuild films so I always expected they'd get the full series. I wouldn't be surprised if they had tried before.
Aniplex only releases shows that they own/produce as far as I know.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Studio Khara won all the rights to Evangelion from Gainax, didn't they? It could be they're being really tight-fisted with the rights due to how it was handled in the '90s.
I don't believe it's quite that simple? What I do know is that Gainax has to pay royalities to Studio Khara for any works that Hideki Anno originally worked on at Gainax. I assume it's a complex relationship?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't believe it's quite that simple? What I do know is that Gainax has to pay royalities to Studio Khara for any works that Hideki Anno originally worked on at Gainax. I assume it's a complex relationship?
Gainax is a pretty "unique" company. One that's unrecognisable now from what it was in its prime. Looking at their website, they don't have any page for EVA, just a mention, and they don't have any merch for it either.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's worldwide. I've gotta get more Canadians to watch Eva.

K, maybe the old cannucks here can answer this: Did we actually get this series on TV at some point, or was it all home video? Because I'm drawing a blank on how I would have watched this show when I was a young kid.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that the complication with the original Eva TV series licensing in the US is that ADV (who originally licensed and released it) went bankrupt and turned into basically a shell company clinging onto the Eva license for dear life and trying to get a Hollywood adaptation made, eventually trying to sue Gainax themselves for the sake of securing the rights. Maybe they finally gave up the ghost.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
K, maybe the old cannucks here can answer this: Did we actually get this series on TV at some point, or was it all home video? Because I'm drawing a blank on how I would have watched this show when I was a young kid.
I don't think so. YTV, Teletoon, and Space were wildly grabbing all the TV rights they could at the time, but I don't remember it being one of them. (Related below, I don't think ADV gave out TV rights for anything.) Personally, I rented them from a comic shop the next town over.

My understanding is that the complication with the original Eva TV series licensing in the US is that ADV (who originally licensed and released it) went bankrupt and turned into basically a shell company clinging onto the Eva license for dear life and trying to get a Hollywood adaptation made, eventually trying to sue Gainax themselves for the sake of securing the rights. Maybe they finally gave up the ghost.
So it's a Harmony Gold situation.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Death and Rebirth movie is just the TV show with added scenes right? Is it likely the episodes will just have the scenes in the actual episodes like on the DVDs?

Also how is the HD transfer? Was it well done or orange brick tier?

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
It is not just a 'normal spear' of a Roman soldier though. It is the mythical Spear of Destiny, which possessed supernatural powers. Constantin the Great, Martel and Hitler possessed it and used it to rise to power! (Well not really of course... but the thing is like the Holy Grail, so it is not that weird it was used in Eva)
The idea of a spear with the power to slay a god is as old as storytelling. Irish mythology has about half a dozen of them!

Evangelion simply took the mythical concept and added some extra sci-fi (that is, the spear actually being
a failsafe device designed to shut down a wayward terraforming system
).

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of a spear with the power to slay a god is as old as storytelling. Irish mythology has about half a dozen of them!

Evangelion simply took the mythical concept and added some extra sci-fi (that is, the spear actually being
a failsafe device designed to shut down a wayward terraforming system
).

I thought

it is designed to shut down one terraforming system when two such systems land on the same planet. Lilith comes after Adam, yet her spear is missing so the one from Adam got activated instead.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
This still makes me hopeful for a bluray release from some publisher, because it means the rights holders are talking to people to get the content out there, and with Eva on Netflix creating additional buzz, I could imagine seeing a disc on store shelves a year from now.
I was of the impression the rights holders were always willing to talk to people about licensing the original series and films, but their asking price has prevented any deals being done since ADV and Manga last released it on DVD.

Netflix obviously thinks it's a worthwhile addition and can afford to cough up. I doubt this deal will change anything on the home video release unless a distributor also decides it's worth the cost to license the home video rights. It's actually quite surprising that nobody thought it was worth the cost to release a HD remastered Blu-ray though...

I believe that image is an artistic representation of the tree of life from jewish tradition.
Pretty sure the Evangelion's Tree of Life scrolls up the screen after that image, before the title comes on.

Last edited:

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Funny how that's the 2nd angel which never shows up in the series.

Wonder whatever happened to it.
It's just an image of a Seraph - most probably representing Lucifer - since it has twelve wings, same as Unit 01 later in the intro.

Most of the Eva "lore" doesn't really add up, including the number of "angels", but that itself makes sense when you consider that it's basically
humans trying to decipher the workings of alien technology millions of years more advanced than they are. Especially if you consider the implication that the Kabbalah is effectively ancient humans misinterpretating an instruction manual XD

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like Netflix will be re-dubbing the series and as of now the original voice cast have not been approached for it

Really hope Netflix brings them back.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I have never seen this; I have always wanted to watch this; if they had to cancel Daredevil for this, fine by me.

Total Neon virgin here. What am I in for?

Also, Netflix, please get Robotech and my life will be complete.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen this; I have always wanted to watch this; if they had to cancel Daredevil for this, fine by me.

Total Neon virgin here. What am I in for?

Also, Netflix, please get Robotech and my life will be complete.

It's...maybe best to go in blind. It's a trip, Anno is an auteur, and it's influence is hard to overstate.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
you know, im actually pretty pumped for a rewatch. i dont know if my fiancee has ever watched it, so maybe we'll flip through it together.

i do love it, and it was a huge part of my youth. i grew my hair long and kept it that way for awhile specifically because of Kaji, and i met my first love because her screen name at the time was a reference to Misato.