• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modewarp

Oct 25, 2017
End of Evangelion is the proper ending, but i prefer to view the ending of the TV series as them all staying orange goo with human instrumentality and Shinji coming in terms with having no physical presence in the world.

I've always understood the 2 versions of the ending to be the same events from a different perspective. With end of eva showing what happens in the physical, and the tv series 25-26 focusing on Shinji's personal journey inside his own head, which if you overlay them on top of each other, is him making a choice to leave the LCL sea, accept himself, and be an individual again, hence the congratulations. I don't really have a solid grasp on the motivations of the final EoE scene on the beach though (which I place post-congratulations). I'd love to hear some director's commentary if one exists. I need to do a full series and movie rewatch. It's been a few years.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
OH SHIT.

I can finally see this and understand why weebs love it so much.
watch, yes, understand, 25 years in, we still dont understand it.

End of Evangelion is the proper ending, but i prefer to view the ending of the TV series as them all staying orange goo with human instrumentality and Shinji coming in terms with having no physical presence in the world.
I prefer the patrician way Watch EoE till TANG, then Eps 25-26 of the anime, then the rest of EoE, Eps 23-24 is basically the instrospection Shinji has while in the Sea of LCL, is when reviving all his experience and the alternative timelines that he comes to accept that even tho they might hurt each other, there are still reason for people to be individuals and seek each others. and thats why as God he changes his mind from "everyone shall be 1 together" to "everyone shall be 1 together, but those that choose to be individuals can leave too". thats how he and Asuka later on separate and re-emerge from the Sea.

Anno needs to make an anime for Netflix. They should just let him make whatever he wants just to see the insanity ensue.
current time Anno is not the same depressed nihilistic one that he was while making EVA in 95

Last edited:

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always understood the 2 versions of the ending to be the same events from a different perspective. With end of eva showing what happens in the physical, and the tv series 25-26 focusing on Shinji's personal journey inside his own head, which if you overlay them on top of each other, is him making a choice to leave the LCL sea, accept himself, and be an individual again, hence the congratulations. I don't really have a solid grasp on the motivations of the final EoE scene on the beach though (which I place post-congratulations). I'd love to hear some director's commentary if one exists. I need to do a full series and movie rewatch. It's been a few years.
Twice the headspace?

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More than the release of the old anime, when are we finally getting the conclusion of Rebuild ? >(

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It's possible, but I really don't think so. Anno, by all accounts, is a very earnest person. Even watching interviews, he comes off as being very serious. I was actually watching Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, a Ghibli documentary. When Miyazaki is trying to decide on a VA for the main character in The Wind Rises, Anno's name is mentioned. Someone comments that Anno's voice has integrity to it. Miyazaki responds with, "Right, he's very earnest. The man doesn't lie." Later in the same documentary, Miyazaki points out that it's fun to bully Anno for the same reason.

I think it's far more likely that the show is a criticism and dissection of himself, a self admitted otaku. It also makes sense considering he was going through depression at the time.

Yeah, this is always my feeling when people say that the show was some veiled attempt at offending some people or other... Anno himself and his works never really seemed to shy away from outright saying what their point was, or otherwise make it obvious with camera framing, editing and other formal aspects of the medium.

Like, how it's often said that End of Eva is a big fuck you to the fans, like... no, if anything what we know of the show and the director it's much more likely that it comes off as that because the man himself as having a hard time dealing with the fans and was open about it on the movie. But in missing that crucial understanding of himself and his works, people often paint him as an elitist, ego driven avant garde auteur with no regard for humans or their peasantry, which is really just not true at all.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The main cast started improving about a halfway through the show, but the supporting roles (read: Everyone other than them) were irredeemably terrible. You can't have a dub where only half of the voices at play are good and half are bad. That makes the whole dub bad. You need to be able to take the whole product seriously the whole way through. Sure, there's room allowed for the main cast to grow if they start a little wobbly, but the Eva dub is almost impossible to take seriously. You wouldn't (and shouldn't) be able to release it today. It makes absolute sense for Netflix to be persuing a new dub.

That being said, for it's time, it was passable. But a new dub is a really, really good thing for Eva TV. And I'd personally prefer to hear a new cast; the old cast can still do the Rebuild movies. I just hope Netflix does it's due diligence and makes both the translation and the localization superb.
To each their own but I find even the bad parts of the dub charming. Everyone's voices are so iconic I can't see a new dub using new VAs being a good idea.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To each their own but I find even the bad parts of the dub charming. Everyone's voices are so iconic I can't see a new dub using new VAs being a good idea.

Being iconic doesn't make them good. Netflix is also bringing the show to a whole new audience, exposing it to a new generation of fans. It's not as risky as you think.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen this movie in ages so I'll definitely want to check it out again when it's on Netflix!

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Being iconic doesn't make them good. Netflix is also bringing the show to a whole new audience, exposing it to a new generation of fans. It's not as risky as you think.
I'd argue preserving that bit of history of dubbing is important. Plus, I don't know of any recent dubs that hold a candle's to the original dub's highs.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue preserving that bit of history of dubbing is important. Plus, I don't know of any recent dubs that hold a candle's to the original dub's highs.

You can have high highs but what you can't have are extremely low lows. Again, you need to be able to take the entire product seriously. Otherwise, in the modern age, you're just a joke. New fans won't be able to appreciate the old dub like you do. Plus, the fact that it's getting a new dub doesn't mean the old dub is gone forever. The internet exists. Plus I got a cheap copy of the Platinum set the other month (Someone didn't know what it was worth, lol). We also don't know the situation with the old dub: Netflix might not even have the rights to it, as they could have gone back to ADV, which hasn't filed for bankrupcy and exists as a zombie entity. Netflix's hands are very likely tied.

I very much welcome a new dub because I know that new things never erase old things so long as there's a record, even if that record isn't avaliable "officially". That and I want a consistently good dub for Evangelion. New fans being able to experience this easily and with a fully competent dub is good for the show and good for anime history. That being said, Netflix could still make a bad dub.

Last edited:

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Recently rewatched the series, EoE and the recent movies. Ending of the TV series is still shit but still very much enjoyed the rest of it. The overall mood/vibe just puts you in a different time.

Will be rewatching when this comes out as well. Still holds up IMO.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
-Shinji-neon-genesis-evangelion-37719005-500-280.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I think Im mixed about it. On one hand, if funi had it, it would most likely be streaming on their platform, on hulu, able to be bought digitally across multiple services, released on disc, and perhaps, like several funimation anime, actually added to netflix, and for nonAmericans, regional distributors probably would have been able to get it as well. Netflix having it implies that you must have netflix to watch it. As one who doesnt netflix, well I wont be able to watch it, and I wont be able to buy it, sad.

On the other hand Funi could potentially still release a disc, since they did release Netflix's 7Taizai on disc. But on the other hand, Funi and fans of the Saiki Kusuo dub, kind of got kicked to the curb since netflix got that animes second season and didnt dub.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think Im mixed about it. On one hand, if funi had it, it would most likely be streaming on their platform, on hulu, able to be bought digitally across multiple services, released on disc, and perhaps, like several funimation anime, actually added to netflix, and for nonAmericans, regional distributors probably would have been able to get it as well. Netflix having it implies that you must have netflix to watch it. As one who doesnt netflix, well I wont be able to watch it, and I wont be able to buy it, sad.

just get a free trial and watch it.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

On the other hand Funi could potentially still release a disc, since they did release Netflix's 7Taizai on disc. But on the other hand, Funi and fans of the Saiki Kusuo dub, kind of got kicked to the curb since netflix got that animes second season and didnt dub.
this is, imo a fault in funimation. they slept on the change to get it + some of the rumors they got into some bad blood with khara cause of the handling of the EVA 3.33 localization (ergo why the whole dub had to be re-done, khara demanded to hold last word approval and it took about 4 years after teh JP release)

and now they are mad Netflix stole the rights from em. EVA re-release on BD would have been mad profitable

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there's much of a problem with re-dubbing it.
Funimation got most of the original VAs back for the rebuild movie dubs after all.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I guess the idea that Netflix will likely not market NGE beyond initial release is a fair point. I mean most of Netflix's content, short of when it's about to release until pretty much immediately after release they don't really promote their content. Things like American Vandal I think fell through the cracks for a lot of people. I remember mentioning that Netflix helped produce a film for BLAME! and one of my anime nerd friends was astounded that happened, despite it being out for over a year now.

However, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Netflix becoming a hub for anime wouldn't necessarily mean that this will be the way of the future. The best example of that is Bojack Horseman which has been most recently syndicated to Comedy Central. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Netflix anime adaptations or even NGE could see syndication to say Cartoon Network/Toonami, or some other terrestrial television network. DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital release though I think is out of the question.

Oct 25, 2017
DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital release though I think is out of the question.
I think its possible, again, 7Taizai got a disc release and it was only streamed on Netflix

I dont think Eva will get lost or something though, as most people interested know of Eva and can easily just type it in to search, and its so popular already that word of mouth will keep it as something people will know.

Would be curious if there are really people whose only experience with anime are whatever is featured on a banner or something on netflix.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
this is, imo a fault in funimation. they slept on the change to get it + some of the rumors they got into some bad blood with khara cause of the handling of the EVA 3.33 localization (ergo why the whole dub had to be re-done, khara demanded to hold last word approval and it took about 4 years after teh JP release)

and now they are mad Netflix stole the rights from em. EVA re-release on BD would have been mad profitable

Which is why I am worried that maybe we won't get to see a new physical release anytime soon now, because Netflix apparently just dropped a ton of cash for the streaming rights, no matter how expensive they were relative to standard business negotiations within the anime industry, and thus basically justified whatever ridiculous sum the Japanese might be asking for the non-streaming home video rights (assuming that Netflix itself had no use for those).

Last edited:

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I think its possible, again, 7Taizai got a disc release and it was only streamed on Netflix

I dont think Eva will get lost or something though, as most people interested know of Eva and can easily just type it in to search, and its so popular already that word of mouth will keep it as something people will know.

Would be curious if there are really people whose only experience with anime are whatever is featured on a banner or something on netflix.

Well with the way that Funimation isn't complaining about this issue it'd make me believe that there must be some portion of this contract that stipulates when or if a home Video release can happen. That's kind of how Netflix makes these kinds of deals. So yes, eventually a home video release could happen but I'd assume they'd either need to go through Netflix to make it happen or wait a few years. Funimation making a point about how much money Netflix was bidding on this particular property makes me think that way.

And yeah his other complaint about Netflix not necessarily marketing it's anime collection and it getting lost rings a little hollow about specifically this show. My only agreement is with the point that anime tends to get buried under the wealth of other content Netflix has, which I don't think is disputable. But yes specifically EVA people will absolutely be pointing new anime fans there to watch it because of the status of the show.

This is not a new series, anyone that has ever dipped into anime beyond Pokemon has heard Evangelion name thrown around... worrying about "lack of marketing" goes right up to be concern trolling

Yeah as I mentioned above as it relates to EVA the Funimation complaint rings hollow. But I think for instance looking at a show like Devilman Crybaby I think would be something that gets absolutely buried under the weight of Netflix's other content for say the average casual anime fan.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like some folks underestimate how old the show looks to a modern audience. Face it, we're into retro cartoons for old people.

If anything, it's more likely to go like this:
iMhEiqp.png
I don't know. It was almost 15 years old when I finally watched it, and I thought it looked amazing.

Good designs, direction, and editing go a LONG way. Eva isn't just some flavor-of-the-week generic anime show from the 90s. There's a reason why people still know it and talk about it almost 25 years on.

All the kids today are still into Dragon Ball Kai and Super (which looks like the old show, but worse). Style is style. Most young people like things that look cool, and some might even be into it specifically because it's retro/a classic.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well with the way that Funimation isn't complaining about this issue it'd make me believe that there must be some portion of this contract that stipulates when or if a home Video release can happen. That's kind of how Netflix makes these kinds of deals. So yes, eventually a home video release could happen but I'd assume they'd either need to go through Netflix to make it happen or wait a few years. Funimation making a point about how much money Netflix was bidding on this particular property makes me think that way.

And yeah his other complaint about Netflix not necessarily marketing it's anime collection and it getting lost rings a little hollow about specifically this show. My only agreement is with the point that anime tends to get buried under the wealth of other content Netflix has, which I don't think is disputable. But yes specifically EVA people will absolutely be pointing new anime fans there to watch it because of the status of the show.

Yeah as I mentioned above as it relates to EVA the Funimation complaint rings hollow. But I think for instance looking at a show like Devilman Crybaby I think would be something that gets absolutely buried under the weight of Netflix's other content for say the average casual anime fan.
Thinking of other parallels: are there physical media releases of BoJack Horseman, Devilman Crybaby, Voltron: Legendary Defender, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, or American Vandal, to take a sampling of their programming?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be a bummer if they redub the show, particularly if they use an entirely new cast, though I guess understandable. The original Eva dub is, like the original Funi DBZ dub, something I'm too closed to really judge accurately. It's just how the show sounded to me when I first watched it, so it's hard to get used to it sounding like anything else in English. I genuinely liked a lot of the voices (especially Gendo's, whose replacement in the movies never felt as closely matched to the character) and there's a nostalgic charm to that whole dub that I'll miss not hearing attached to this remastered version of this show.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thinking of other parallels: are there physical media releases of BoJack Horseman, Devilman Crybaby, Voltron: Legendary Defender, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, or American Vandal, to take a sampling of their programming?

Offhand the only one I know is Devilman Crybaby and the answer is no, outside of an expensive Japanese import.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Regarding the old dub versus redubbing it, I think the original dub was decent for its time with some standout performances, especially as the series went on and the show got heavy into its genre subversion. Some of the more talented actors clearly understood the shift and took the opportunity to step up their performances.

I think a new dub is fine, the old one still exists obviously and I think we'd see an improvement in the product as a whole with one. I'm sure there will be those who would be disappointed...I mean, some people still swear by the original English dub of Akira over the new one.

I think it's great that the series will be available to a new audience by coming to Netflix. The series is extremely good and has a lot to say that is still relevant today. The TV series ending is excellent, if a bit dry, and its movie counterpart is brilliant...I won't say more as I don't want to spoil too much for people who haven't watched it yet.

I haven't gone through the 20 pages of this thread, but if it hasn't been posted yet I'd also like to recommend Dan Olson's videos about End of Evangelion for those who have already seen the series and film or for newcomers to come back to after they catch up:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

i mean, i'll be real with you, the US dub isn't nearly as important as the original Japanese dub. it's fine to preserve history as one thing but it seems Khara/Anno is more deeply invested in how the product is localized than with all of the liberties that ADV took back in the day. outside of very minor differences between scenes from Death being readded into the the DC versions of EVA episodes, the Japanese voice cast didn't need modification/changes because it matched the director's vision. EoE 26', in particular, starts by thanking the voice cast because the show simply wouldn't be the show without the Japanese cast.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

Devilman Cybaby is the only one I know of with a physical release outside of Seven Deadly Sins. But those are a bit of a different case than the other shows you brought up. Netflix didn't directly produce those animes, they only liscensed them out to stream them.

Now I'd make the argument that as other people have mentioned the status of EVA would absolutely make Netflix want to bid a whole hell of a lot of money for the streaming rights with stipulations regarding a physical release, especially if they're also helping with a potential new dub. I'd think they'd place a great deal of emphasis on saying that they are the only legal way you can watch EVA streaming on any device.

Now the flip of that as I mentioned is that this does leave the door open for potential syndication to television. Bojack is now on Comedy Central so I don't think it's out of the question if Netflix has the rights to the English dub that they wouldn't sub contract that to Cartoon Network down the line.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

Depends. Stranger Things, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards and some others have DVD releases where as I don't think Bojack does?

Evangelion is a an easy show to merchandise and was a very popular seller physically so I really would assume they'd release an all encompassing boxset for non-Japanese markets.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this video really nails why Evangelion (original series) has resonated so deeply with so many people and also why so many are divided against it.

It certainly elucidates everything I loved about it.

Personally, I don't know how you could watch that video and come away still thinking that the TV series finale isn't superior, let alone thinking it's bad. Or that End of Eva was somehow a victory for the audience that was dissatisfied by the broadcast ending.

It also makes me feel sad that the remakes exist.

Within this follow-up video is a great case for watching this show in Japanese instead of English. For this particular show and foreign media in general.

You can interpret characters differently based on what they say and how they say it. That can have an effect on how you see the show at large

Last edited:

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I didn't understand the show (but liked it) and never saw the movies so I've just been in this perpetual state of scratching my damn head ever since that last episode.

Looking forward to watching again, hopefully this time it'll make more sense.

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
I think this video really nails why Evangelion (original series) has resonated so deeply with so many people and also why so many are divided against it.

It certainly elucidates everything I loved about it.

Personally, I don't know how you could watch that video and come away still thinking that the TV series finale isn't superior, let alone thinking it's bad. Or that End of Eva was somehow a victory for the audience that was dissatisfied by the broadcast ending.

It also makes me feel sad that the remakes exist.

Within this follow-up video is a great case for watching this show in Japanese instead of English. For this particular show and foreign media in general.

You can interpret characters differently based on what they say and how they say it. That can have an effect on how you see the show at large

I watched it and I still don't like the TV ending and think EoE is a million times better. So... yeah

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something of some description actually happens in the EoE version.
You mean like literally, in the "real world?"

I would say something very describable happens in the TV ending and its described pretty clearly in the video. What happens in End of Eva may be literal but it's incredibly unsatisfying as a thematic conclusion to the show.