• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You could easily skip episodes 25 and 26.
I don't understand how you can consume most of the work and then ignore the most thematically significant and purposefully author-representative episodes in it.

Anyway, I love the idea of this sort of re-releases. I get to enjoy the online discourse without having to consume the work at all! (I still probably will, it's been a while and it's not that long)

The Waypoint (Vice Games) crew will be watching it, can't wait to listen to their thoughts.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
If you're gonna skip anything, you could probably pass on Death & Rebirth instead of episodes 25 and 26.
Death & Rebirth was the first Evangelion thing I ever saw and it made me curious enough to buy the Platinum Collection DVD set. But yeah, if you watch the director's cuts of episodes 21-24, and you watch the End of Evangelion, Death & Rebirth has no additional scenes.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oh man. The deluge of horny idiots who completely misunderstand every point the show is trying to make, instead dumbing down these psychologically damaged teens to fuckable sex objects is going to be maddening. Waifu discussions in the context of this show are sooo disgusting, man.
It's going to be 1996 all over again.

For me it was always Misato. Even when I was 17.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm more excited to see people's takes and re-takes than actually re-watching it myself. Though I'm still definitely re-watching it.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
Who will be watching with subs versus dubs? Def gonna go subs for me. Never seen this series before but am excited for it!

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Never seen it but I know it's a classic. Don't really know too much about it. I skipped the OPs description at the beginning cause I wanna go in fresh.

I guess I know what people who never read any GOT books feel like before the red wedding. Watched that space mecha anime that Netflix put out 2 years ago and got the sense that's what Evangelion was like; maybe they were cribbing their style.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Who will be watching with subs versus dubs? Def gonna go subs for me. Never seen this series before but am excited for it!

Probably subs this time around since I personally got to know a few of the dub actors over the years working anime conventions loving their work on the show, and I never got around to watching it subbed.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, didn't expect to get such a strong response.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, isn't End of Eva basically what episodes 25 & 26 were supposed to be if they hadn't run out of money and weren't forced to cobble together those episodes with previous footage and still frames?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Also, isn't End of Eva basically what episodes 25 & 26 were supposed to be if they hadn't run out of money and weren't forced to cobble together those episodes with previous footage and still frames?

Yes and no. It is true that the episodes came out like that because of a very messy production, but Anno has never discredited the episodes. One interpretation is to see the final pair as a deep exploration of a particular moment in EOE. (As to which moment in EOE, it should be fairly obvious when you put the two pairs of episodes together.)

Nov 14, 2017
It's a different version of the same events with a bigger budget and more context around
instrumentality
. The original Ep25&26 are masterpieces though. Apparently they happened that way because Anno ran out of time as he kept on re-writing, so they had to make them in like a week each. The constraints really made them be creative though; those episodes are like if Bertolt Brecht made an anime. The older I get, the more amazed I am that they would chose to do that.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
There's going to be atleast one parent who's gonna let their kid watch this because it looks like transformers.

That kid will become an intellectual over night.

Nov 2, 2017
Do we know for sure if they're gonna have the Director's Cut 21-24?

I'm torn on the dubbing situation. I love the original voices (for most of the cast), and I'm sad to see them go. Especially the big ones that could've been easily reused, as they're still in the business. I'll miss you Spike Spencer, you'll always be my Shinji

But getting to go through the whole series and EoE (presumably) with a consistent English voice cast for the first time will be nice. Hopefully it's actually a quality dub though.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Ive never seen it...hope I enjoy it been meaning to watch it for years.... how does it hold up if you're not a kid anymore?

Last edited: