• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
28YnH2B.jpg

Well okay I did a rewatch with my husband about two years ago, but still, I'm really excited!

Also yeah, watch the last two eps, and NEVER SKIP THE INTRO.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yes and no. It is true that the episodes came out like that because of a very messy production, but Anno has never discredited the episodes. One interpretation is to see the final pair as a deep exploration of a particular moment in EOE. (As to which moment in EOE, it should be fairly obvious when you put the two pairs of episodes together.)
Also, you could say the outcomes of each are Shinji making two different decisions.

There are hints to this in the current Rebuild movies.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
We haven't seen anything of the new dub right?

Wonder if there are major script changes or not. Are they still angels?

Very excited to rewatch another time. One of my favorite shows.

My girlfriend will hate it.

Also don't skip 25 and 26 you filthy disgusting animals.

lupe121283

Oct 31, 2017
The only reason I skipped episode 25 and 26 was, when I was a pre-teen, the person that let me borrow the VHS left the country. Then my older gave me a VHS copy of the movies with no subtitles and I had to use a script printed online to even try to understand it. I think I got the correct script.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
This narrative that 25 and 26 can't be skipped looks silly when the Director's Cut of episode 24 ends with a preview of The End of Evangelion.
I agree that they absolutely should be watched, but they wreck the pacing of the series so badly. I'm leaving them for after EoE this time. The transition from 24 to the movie is too good and natural to mess it up with two more epsiodes (and the goofy gimmick, and the final "thank you" text card that seriously makes me upset).

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Please director cut episodes, please director cut episodes...

The run times for those at least should be enough to confirm.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
It's been years since I watched the original 1-26 episodes can't wait to do a watch over. I do have 1:11, 2:22 and 3:33 on disk and watch it ever so often.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
Can't wait! Not doing anything tomorrow after work, so I'll spend my evening rewatching this.

Nov 14, 2017
Yea

This narrative that 25 and 26 can't be skipped looks silly when the Director's Cut of episode 24 ends with a preview of The End of Evangelion.
I agree that they absolutely should be watched, but they wreck the pacing of the series so badly. I'm leaving them for after EoE this time. The transition from 24 to the movie is too good and natural to mess it up with two more epsiodes (and the goofy gimmick, and the final "thank you" text card that seriously makes me upset).
That is absolutely the intent of those episodes. Anno is quite clear that Eva isn't about giving you explanations or helping you feel good. It's about challenging you to break out of your bubble.

I've made the comparison to Brecht earlier, but if you're familiar with his work at all it's obvious that 25&26 are clear examples of Epic Anime.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna request everyone watch this video by Folding Ideas on End of Evangelion before they start throwing out their hot takes on episodes 25 & 26 because there's a huge difference between the episodes and EoE.

taro

Oct 25, 2017
I've been listening to Cruel Angel's Thesis and Fly Me to the Moon this week in preparation.

I was lucky enough to have friends that enjoyed anime back then and one of them loved the series enough to buy the VHS tapes at release. Gunbuster being an all-time classic for us, Gainax already had me from the start. All of us finished the series but I'd say only 3 of us (out of 6), including me, liked it. I did a rewatch a few years later but have not seen it since though I did see 1.0 at Fanime years later.

While I have seen Death & Rebirth, I have never watched End of Eva. I debated whether to jump straight to that (since I remember the main series surprisingly well) or do a full rewatch. I plan on starting from the beginning to enjoy the ride with those who are new to this. I'm excited for EoE after all this time and knowing full well what is in store. Time to grab some Yebisu!

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
That is absolutely the intent of those episodes. Anno is quite clear that Eva isn't about giving you explanations or helping you feel good. It's about challenging you to break out of your bubble.

I've made the comparison to Brecht earlier, but if you're familiar with his work at all it's obvious that 25&26 are clear examples of Epic Anime.
Wait, what is the intent? It definitely isn't to mess up the pacing. Those episodes only took that shape due to production issues and other outside factors.
If you're not meant to "feel good" watching it, then you absolutely should be skipping those episodes because they're going to put you in the exact wrong state of mind in which you're supposed to start that movie.

If you're referring to my feelings regarding the weird thank you note at the end, then that's a complete miss because (within the work) it's meant to be a positive message. I can't stand it because it's either wildly out of character or random unmarked meta commentary. Either way it's entirely unearned and messy (and not in the good experimental way).

Gonna request everyone watch this video by Folding Ideas on End of Evangelion before they start throwing out their hot takes on episodes 25 & 26 because there's a huge difference between the episodes and EoE.

I would recommend not watching those. His interpretation is a gross misreading of the material based on the lousy original translation. He tried to bend it into shape in a follow-up video based on some corrections, but it's honestly a mess.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot this was happening. Super in on the rewatch. Can't decide between dub and sub. It's been ages since I've seen the show, I've forgotten a lot of the finer details of it, and man I'm not sure I wanna re-experience all that without Japanese Shinji. On the other hand, I've seen it sub already, and I probably won't be watching it again for a good while after this viewing, and it'd be good to know if the dub is any good when I consider recommending the show.. fuck I actually am gonna watch this twice aren't I

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what is the intent? It definitely isn't to mess up the pacing. Those episodes only took that shape due to production issues and other outside factors.
If you're not meant to "feel good" watching it, then you absolutely should be skipping those episodes because they're going to put you in the exact wrong state of mind in which you're supposed to start that movie.

If you're referring to my feelings regarding the weird thank you note at the end, then that's a complete miss because (within the work) it's meant to be a positive message. I can't stand it because it's either wildly out of character or random unmarked meta commentary. Either way it's entirely unearned and messy (and not in the good experimental way).

I would recommend not watching those. His interpretation is a gross misreading of the material based on the lousy original translation. He tried to bend it into shape in a follow-up video based on some corrections, but it's honestly a mess.
Not sure how you can say that when Shinji's character arcs are completely different given what you're watching. The only inaccuracies is the bit where he attributes the shift in the show being a monetary/time thing, which as I've heard at least, is not actually the case.

And it's impossible to cement what version of Evangelion is the most correct interpretation of Anno's vision when you've got Anno redoing the whole thing again in the Rebuild movies, so I find the interpretation entirely valid and reasonable given what information we actually have.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Curious to see how the new localization turns out. I was never an especially big fan of the original ADV dub from the 90s... moreso due to Matt Greenfield's overwrought direction than the casting. Despite bringing back most of the core cast, I comparatively adored most of Mike McFarland's dub of Rebuild for FUNi... but it really is tough to compete with an all-star crop of Japanese VAs like Kotono Mitsuishi and Megumi Ogata. It's almost criminally unfair.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix should include the awful English VA director's commentary track from the EoE DVD for shits and giggles.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've gone through my Platinum collection multiple times, and I am way too behind on newer stuff to watch it all again day one. But I'm definitely keen to see how the English dub works out, the secrecy and drama around it has been very strange. Good luck to all the new viewers! You're in for a wild experience like nothing else, don't skip anything!

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I'll be definitely be watching this thread to see reactions and interpretations. However, for now, I'll just leave some official statements on Episodes 25, 26, and End of Eva from various official merchandise (Obviously spoilers for newcomers).

Thus, the story of Eva would branch into two stories with the diverging point being the end of Episode Twenty-Four "The Final Messenger." The two stories each unfold differently and arrive at their own climaxes.
It is not that one is the complete version and the other is incomplete. Just like the multiple endings of a game, two different endings were prepared for one story.
Gendo uses Rei to execute the Human Instrumentality Project and the complementation of man begins.
Gendo says, "All souls will become one and find eternal peace". His Instrumentality Project must have been for all human souls to be combined as one and to compensate each other for what they have been deprived of. In the story that follows from Episode 25 "Air" to Episode 26 "A Pure Heart For You", he was not able to execute the scenario he had drawn up. It may be that it was in Episode Twenty-Five and Episode Twenty-Six that his wish actually came true.
The moment that Shinji gains conviction that it is okay for him to be there, the background changes, and the blue Earth spreads beneath his feet. However, there are no continents on this Earth, and it is covered by a gigantic coral reef. It seems this is the Earth that has been transfigured by the Instrumentality Project.
It is left for the audience to decide whether this ending is the Best Ending or the Bad Ending.

(at the beginning of episode 26) At last, the [Human Instrumentality Project] has been executed. ... How about the complementation of Shinji? How about the complementation of Shinji's heart? Here the path of Shinji's complementation is described.
(at the end of episode 26) Amidst the many words of congratulations, a faint smile starts at the corners of Shinji's mouth (and spreads across his face). A happy face -- that is the figure of the Complemented Shinji.

Thus, the story of Evangelion branches into two after the last scene of episode 24. There is one ending as shown in TV episodes 25 and 26, while episodes 25' and 26' as shown in "THE END OF EVANGELION" are another ending.

Hayashibara: So there will be two episode 25s.
Anno: Right, it will be a multi-ending.
Hayashibara: So, a dual... ah, a multi-ending. After episode 24 the endings will diverge.
Hayashibara: There will be two of them.
Anno: There will be two of them.
Hayashibara: Ah, two endings.
Hayashibara: In terms of gaming - is it called a simulation game? What do you call it? The ending for that [particular] self changes as you go on [through the game].
Anno: Right, a multi-ending [game].

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Anno using Evangelion itself to take down fans who just didn't get it is one of my favourite things.

The fact that he did it again with the 2.22 -> 3.33 bait and switch makes it even better.

Dude was so intensely frustrated that his carefully constructed broken characters got dragged into incredibly shallow waifu wars.

Mari in 2.22 was intentionally constructed as a mysterious manic pixie dream girl, with a megane fetish aspect too, to subvert this.

Nov 14, 2017

The intent is to get the audience to understand the constructed nature of the work they are watching and in doing so question the reality of their lives and how they are living it.

Also, the central thrust of that video: that Shinji is a substitute for the audience and that the show is directly attacking the audience's sexual objectification and personal isolation - is entirely correct, and he didn't correct it in the subsequent video. He modified his perspective based on the different performances of the original Japanese VA. He also critcises the fan theory that 25&26 and EoE both happen at the same time, as opposed to the idea that they are both possible independent outcomes of what happens and each has a validity.

Forgot this was happening. Super in on the rewatch. Can't decide between dub and sub. It's been ages since I've seen the show, I've forgotten a lot of the finer details of it, and man I'm not sure I wanna re-experience all that without Japanese Shinji. On the other hand, I've seen it sub already, and I probably won't be watching it again for a good while after this viewing, and it'd be good to know if the dub is any good when I consider recommending the show.. fuck I actually am gonna watch this twice aren't I
Netflix has made a new translation and a new dub. I'm going to try and watch the English dub this time as I recently watched the Japanese version.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, Netflix has re-translated and re-dubbed the series?!

It's been a long time since I've watched the series again that my online name I created in 96 is from.