• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heisoku no Kakudai scene is definitely my favorite in the series.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Also the symbolism with the AT field is very on the nose and beaten into the audience but shit if it isn't an inspired aspect of the show.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recently found out that some of my close friends just started watching this

giphy.gif

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but binge this show. I particularly loved episode 4. For whatever reason, old anime really nail the summer time scenes and they just pull you in.

The scene where Shinji and Misato just look at each other for a few minutes while the cicadas shrill and the music from Misato's car slowly begins to get louder was fucking legendary. I felt the heat. The emotions. Goddamn.

I'm really liking the slice of life stuff with Asuka as well. It's bittersweet when you think about the horrors they have to face. I'm also surprised at the amount of fan service as well.

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
The angel in this episode heavily reminded me of the hablerie from Persona, and both have themes of introspection, facing your true self.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is only my second time watching the ending of the TV show-

Jesus christ Shinji's conclusion at the end is more powerful to me now than it was five years ago. "I am worth living here". Honestly when i first watched this I was kinda down on Shinji and the show as a whole but after I left High School I spiraled into a really bad depression that lead to some really bad places. Only about half a year ago did I start climbing back out. I can fully understand the feeling of worthlessness and just wanting to be, well, wanted. I get that this is a series that people pick apart to death, but to me this will always be a series about finding true meaning in your own individuality and realizing that there is worth in you living simply because you're "you" if that makes any sense. Finding beauty in what makes the hedgehog dilemma so troublesome.

In the end it's a story to me about how no matter how much shit you go through there's still worth in you because no one else can be you.
I'm really glad you took that away from the show, and the true meaning of the ending. I wish everyone that watched it when it first aired did. Instead of sending Anno death threats because they didn't get their pew pews.

I'm also glad you getting better. ❤
Also the symbolism with the AT field is very on the nose and beaten into the audience but shit if it isn't an inspired aspect of the show.
And yet. It's still flies over the head of a lot of people.

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Slowly watching Eva for the first time in two decades, and watching it as an adult is a trip. On episode 4 tonight.

Misato is more relatable than ever, since her life went to absolute shit when she was Shinji's age, and when I was her age I had to look after difficult step-kids.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
I didn't the series was much of a mindfuck and then out of nowhere those last 2 episodes hit you like a freight train

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Finished EoE. Well that is something. I'm not sure how to interpret the last scene. It sounds to me like the right choice was made, but I'm not sure the imagery matches that.....

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Finished EoE. Well that is something. I'm not sure how to interpret the last scene. It sounds to me like the right choice was made, but I'm not sure the imagery matches that.....
My interpretation is that both Shinji and Asuka made the right choice to value their own individuality because without that they are nothing but just another face. What makes life fulfilling is their own individuality. The interaction between the two is just reconfirming what Shinji thought, that they had escaped instrumentality, if they hadn't Shinji would have been unable to do this. Asuka caresses him because she became aware of his desires when they both became one and the same before breaking free. Life on earth is certainly fucked, for the moment, but there is still hope that more people have valued their own individuality over becoming one. This goes back to the theme that no matter what happens you're "you", and nothing can take that away. Or rather you shouldn't let others take that away because no one can replicate what you are.

This works on a few levels because Anno himself is obviously pretty distressed about the stagnation of anime as a medium from time to time. And what better way to combat this than create a massively successful mecha anime, which was all the rage before Eva, and in the end express that individuality is the most important aspect of creating anime than bending the knee to whatever mecha design sells the most toys.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
My interpretation is that both Shinji and Asuka made the right choice to value their own individuality because without that they are nothing but just another face. What makes life fulfilling is their own individuality. The interaction between the two is just reconfirming what Shinji thought, that they had escaped instrumentality, if they hadn't Shinji would have been unable to do this. Asuka caresses him because she became aware of his desires when they both became one and the same before breaking free. Life on earth is certainly fucked, for the moment, but there is still hope that more people have valued their own individuality over becoming one. This goes back to the theme that no matter what happens you're "you", and nothing can take that away. Or rather you shouldn't let others take that away because no one can replicate what you are.

This is what I thought regarding "the right choice" on instrumenting. I agree with your interpretation. I was just not sure if they are supposed to be the only ones who refused to integrate, or if (ironically) Shinji chose to shut down the whole thing for everybody. The imagery is not clear , I guess you would say that it should be up to each person not to integrate, but the collapse of the orb and mega rei seem to imply it was pretty universal.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
This is what I thought regarding "the right choice" on instrumenting. I agree with your interpretation. I was just not sure if they are supposed to be the only ones who refused to integrate, or if (ironically) Shinji chose to shut down the whole thing for everybody. The imagery is not clear , I guess you would say that it should be up to each person not to integrate, but the collapse of the orb and mega rei seem to imply it was pretty universal.
This is definitely something that we just don't know. I like to think that over time others will break free but we just don't know.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
This is definitely something that we just don't know. I like to think that over time others will break free but we just don't know.

Fair enough. I think it's a great ending to the show. I wish they could have elaborated in the objective of the angels. Once episode 24 hits it become messy trying to parse what, who, and why they act as they do.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Fair enough. I think it's a great ending to the show. I wish they could have elaborated in the objective of the angels. Once episode 24 hits it become messy trying to parse what, who, and why they act as they do.
The angel stuff is honestly some deep lore Evangelion shit that I can't even explain lol, I think there were some explanations in the supplementary material but that's beyond me.

From what I recall Lilith and Adam are not meant to be on the same planet and the Angel's purpose is to meet up with Adam and start the third impact to get rid of Lilith's creations. The angels had no idea what they were detecting under Tokyo-3 was Lilith because reasons.

Last edited:

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
So having finished the show, I can confidently say Misato is by far the coolest and most interesting character by far, but this is anime, so of course the 14 year olds are considered more popular. Atsuka was frankly annoying as fuck. Rei... idk. I think she was a product of her time, since she basically invented her character trope. In 2019, meh. Shinji is himself.

But I just can't care about the issues these teenagers have when Misato and Kaiji exist. Ritsuko too.

Also the sexualization of 14 year old girls... Christ. And no, it's not okay cuz it was made back then. It's still creepy.

Edit: oh forgot to mention that I'm truly blown away by final episode spoilers
how truly out of money they were. The final episode wasn't even low budget, it was NO budget. I mean, they were using still images of poorly drawn storyboards? Like, damn.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the storyboard images in place of traditionally animated stuff. I felt like it worked with the dreaminess, the breaking down of reality, and the whole community center theater thing they had going on. It's like when Animal Man realizes he's comic book character.

Maybe if Shinji has met Anno they could have given each other the hug they seemed to desperately need.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
So having finished the show, I can confidently say Misato is by far the coolest and most interesting character by far, but this is anime, so of course the 14 year olds are considered more popular. Atsuka was frankly annoying as fuck. Rei... idk. I think she was a product of her time, since she basically invented her character trope. In 2019, meh. Shinji is himself.

But I just can't care about the issues these teenagers have when Misato and Kaiji exist. Ritsuko too.

Also the sexualization of 14 year old girls... Christ. And no, it's not okay cuz it was made back then. It's still creepy.

how truly out of money they were. The final episode wasn't even low budget, it was NO budget. I mean, they were using still images of poorly drawn storyboards? Like, damn.
Have you seen End of Evangelion before? Not that I expect it to change your views, I'm just curious.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I haven't seen the movies yet! Just finished the show yesterday. Will definitely watch them. Also wanna check out Rebuild series.
I'd suggest taking some time before watching Rebuild. EoE is the end to the show but Rebuild is it's own special kind of madness lol. Interested in what you think of Misato, Rei, and Shinji after EoE.

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
I liked the storyboard images in place of traditionally animated stuff. I felt like it worked with the dreaminess, the breaking down of reality, and the whole community center theater thing they had going on. It's like when Animal Man realizes he's comic book character.

Maybe if Shinji has met Anno they could have given each other the hug they seemed to desperately need.
Yeah I loved it when I first watched it as a teenager and still do to this day. People saying to skip those episodes always baffle me, I might even prefer it to End of Evangelion even though I love it too

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Having watched both Manga's release and the Netflix release recently, I can't say that they are different enough to result in vastly different interpretations...though who am I to say, I guess. Could you provide specific examples of where you feel the translation led to what you consider an incorrect interpretation of the material? Maybe you could pick a scene that Dan used as an example and provide your own reading or counter-argument to explain why you feel he is wrong.

Would you agree that a shonen protagonist can both be an author insert and an audience surrogate? I don't think one precludes the other, and in that case it's a completely valid reading to say that Shinji in EoE can bee seen as a commentary on otaku. You post this criticism of Dan's reading frequently, but I don't feel you have really said anything to invalidate it.

Regarding Capra 's post, I'm not sure I'd really call his video an analysis of the film, but rather an analysis of the relationship between audience and author through the vehicle that is the protagonist. It is, after all, titled "End of Evangelion and the Audience Author Membrane." In an essay on that subject, it makes sense to focus on scenes that are related to that topic (most prominently the opening scene, Shinji's interactions with women, and the ending). I disagree that it's cherry picking...I'd agree completely if it was purported to be a full review and analysis of the film, but his essay is pretty limited in scope to the one concept he's exploring. The structure is muddied by his "considerations" of which ending was "intended," which I think is a fair criticism and was largely an unnecessary inclusion.
The most problematic translation in the Manga release is probably in the scene where Shinji is merged with Rei, following the live action sequence.
They had Rei say that once people return "they will feel fear once more," leading Dan to construct this ridiculous scenario where Shinji is motivated by wanting everyone to be afraid, which would contradict everything that's said in this portion of the movie.
This is a character who, having acknowledged his past mistakes, clearly states that he wants to risk getting hurt again for a chance at seeing others again, a statement that is backed by an image of the whole cast at their (impossibly) happiest, and complemented by Yui's message about endless opportunities for happiness. You'd have to toss out nearly the entire final act to fit in that interpretation of Shinji as a sadist who didn't find his accidental apocalypse traumatic enough... and yet Dan runs with that, presenting the two outcomes as polar opposites.

The reading of Shinji as commentary on otaku is perfectly valid, but that's also an aspect of Anno's personality and it shouldn't be misconstrued as an audience piñata.
Viewing the movie as an exercise in "trolling" presents Shinji as an overt attack, a mockery designed by an author who sees himself as superior to an audience he holds in contempt. I don't believe that to be the case because Shinji's character arc in the movie mirrors Anno's own regression into depression following the ending of the TV series. It feels far too personal and it's incredibly reductive to try and twist the ending into an insult directed at people who aren't even the work's real audience.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone make a spoiler thread, please. Because all these spoiler tab posts are getting silly at this point.
The reading of Shinji as commentary on otaku is perfectly valid, but that's also an aspect of Anno's personality and it shouldn't be misconstrued as an audience piñata.
Viewing the movie as an exercise in "trolling" presents Shinji as an overt attack, a mockery designed by an author who sees himself as superior to an audience he holds in contempt. I don't believe that to be the case because Shinji's character arc in the movie mirrors Anno's own regression into depression following the ending of the TV series. It feels far too personal and it's incredibly reductive to try and twist the ending into an insult directed at people who aren't even the work's real audience.
Yes, it's an aspect of Anno's personality. (because he's an otaku himself) But i think the film is an overt (and rightfully so) attack at people who sent him death threats, after he tried to put his hand on their shoulder and tell them, it's going to be ok. Only for them to turn around and spit in his face.

I wouldn't say he thinks he's superior. But completely incensed, because of the reaction those little fuckers had to the tv ending.

I don't feels it's reductive to say that.

Sorry if this is a bit incoherent and bullet pointy. I'm doing this before i go to bed. And i'm not good at articulating my thoughts even at the best of times.

OP
OP
munchie64

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someone make a spoiler thread, please. Because all these spoiler tab posts are getting silly at this point.

Yes, it's an aspect of Anno's personality. (because he's an otaku himself) But i think the film is an overt (and rightfully so) attack at people who sent him death threats, after he tried to put his hand on their shoulder and tell them, it's going to be ok. Only for them to turn around and spit in his face.

I wouldn't say he thinks he's superior. But completely incensed, because of the reaction those little fuckers had to the tv ending.

Sorry if this is a bit incoherent and bullet pointy. I'm doing this before i go to bed. And i'm not good at articulating my thoughts even at the best of times.
Post in the franchise OT if you don't want to use spoiler tags.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

I do think it's reductive to say Anno's perspective in EoE is one of complete rage and rejection of his audience. Even the live-action sequence that directly speaks to Eva fans by literally depicting people cosplaying and watching Evangelion in theatres comes across as Anno laying his hand on their shoulders, albeit more firmly. He directly tells people not to become obsessed with fantasy as a substitute for a harsh reality and gives genuine life advice from a place of empathy. To absolutely turn away from his audience and reject them on the grounds that a subset of them hurt him would be to do the same thing Shinji does when he strangles Asuka in the apartment fantasy. That's just lashing out, the way people lashed out at him. The film demonstrates an understanding of self-loathing and depression that even when it depicts Shinji at his most loathsome, it still feels sympathetic to him as a victim of abuse and offers hope that things can change.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to admit that I've never seen this before. Only bits and pieces on Adult Swim 10+ years ago.

I just watched the first 2 episodes and it's pretty well written so far. Animation during the fight in the second episode was nuts. I'm guessing all the action in this show only last like a minute per episode because of how it expensive it looks.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'd suggest taking some time before watching Rebuild. EoE is the end to the show but Rebuild is it's own special kind of madness lol. Interested in what you think of Misato, Rei, and Shinji after EoE.

Will definitely post my impressions.

Also as someone who suffers from epilepsy, or even just as someone who doesn't, i'd warn anyone about some sequences in the last few episodes. Watching them in the dark really hurt my eyes. Can't recall exactly what episodes, but yeah, be careful.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I'm frustrated with Misato's childishness, but can't say I was much different when I was 29. Minus the morning drinking.

I can't stand Kaji. I don't remember disliking him this much the first time through.
That first makeout session with Misato looks hella close to sexual harassment.

I've still got 8 episodes or so to go, so will withhold judgment.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm on episode 23 and should I watch EoE first then 25-36 or continue with 25-26? Also, is the Netflix version of EoE any good compared to the original? I've been watching the OG version so far

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
So I'm on episode 23 and should I watch EoE first then 25-36 or continue with 25-26? Also, is the Netflix version of EoE any good compared to the original? I've been watching the OG version so far
Just watch 25-26, then go into End of Eva. As for the quality, if we're talking about the original EoE release then Neftlix's should be better, for the original EoE release had quite a few translation issues. Unless you were watching fansubs, it should theoretically be an improvement, even if they changed a few iconic lines.

Oct 26, 2017
New York

Well for the last two episodes

I'd heard that budget and time constraints didn't allow the writers/directors to finish the show the way they wanted, and the reception of those episodes are mixed. After watching them, I can see the problems completely. The Human Instrumentality Project is introduced so abruptly and is so vague. I liked the exploration of the characters and coming to a conclusion for their internal struggles but it seemed like something that came out of nowhere at the last second. Especially compared to what had happened in EP 24.

As for the show as a whole

I had a great time with the show but it wasn't really what I was expecting. I like every character except Asuka, who's consistently a brat who's feelings I'm supposed to care about for some reason.

There's a whole stretch of episodes with a light-hearted monster-of-the-week feel that became kind of a chore to get through and weakened my interest. Things picked back up around episodes 17-18 but I was surprised that for a show about a post apocalyptic future with humanity barely holding on to survival, the tone was getting closer to a standard young adult anime.

The internal conflicts with the characters were great, and I love how everyone is scarred from their families as well as the second impact. What I didn't like was the consistent sexuality and nudity of these 14 year old kids. I get that they're supposed to be a reflection of Shinji and the others blooming interest in sex at their ages, and I'm sure it'd mean more to the targeted age group of viewers, but as a 27 year old man, that shit just creeped me the hell out.

The Eva battles were always exciting and just like Shin Gojira, I appreciated how the Angel situations were handled rationally from the top to bottom of those in charge. With very real discussions and arguments of what the best course of action should be.

As for the themes of God, religion and man, and their metaphors in the show? It's all more hinted at and vague than fully explained so I only have theories and my own interpretations. If I'm being honest, I'd prefer something more upfront but it's fine to me if the rest of the story and characters are good. And I certainly enjoyed the characters dilemmas with the Angels as well as themsevels. So many twists and turns and dark reveals that really got me emotionally.

Again, not really what I was hoping for or expecting, especially with all the praise it's gotten over the years, but a great show nonetheless.

Maybe after watching EOE today, my opinion of the series will be even more positive.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018

Now that I've finally finished Evangelion as an adult, I really enjoy Misato. She's the first millennial! Who knew I was looking at a glimpse into my future. >.>

And no I haven't watched EoE yet. I'm going to. But I am completely 100% intimidated by it. I'm easily freaked out by body horror so I know this movie is going to throw me into a loop. I've been reading lots of spoilers to prepare myself but uh yikes.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well for the last two episodes

I'd heard that budget and time constraints didn't allow the writers/directors to finish the show the way they wanted, and the reception of those episodes are mixed. After watching them, I can see the problems completely. The Human Instrumentality Project is introduced so abruptly and is so vague. I liked the exploration of the characters and coming to a conclusion for their internal struggles but it seemed like something that came out of nowhere at the last second. Especially compared to what had happened in EP 24.

As for the show as a whole

I had a great time with the show but it wasn't really what I was expecting. I like every character except Asuka, who's consistently a brat who's feelings I'm supposed to care about for some reason.

There's a whole stretch of episodes with a light-hearted monster-of-the-week feel that became kind of a chore to get through and weakened my interest. Things picked back up around episodes 17-18 but I was surprised that for a show about a post apocalyptic future with humanity barely holding on to survival, the tone was getting closer to a standard young adult anime.

The internal conflicts with the characters were great, and I love how everyone is scarred from their families as well as the second impact. What I didn't like was the consistent sexuality and nudity of these 14 year old kids. I get that they're supposed to be a reflection of Shinji and the others blooming interest in sex at their ages, and I'm sure it'd mean more to the targeted age group of viewers, but as a 27 year old man, that shit just creeped me the hell out.

The Eva battles were always exciting and just like Shin Gojira, I appreciated how the Angel situations were handled rationally from the top to bottom of those in charge. With very real discussions and arguments of what the best course of action should be.

As for the themes of God, religion and man, and their metaphors in the show? It's all more hinted at and vague than fully explained so I only have theories and my own interpretations. If I'm being honest, I'd prefer something more upfront but it's fine to me if the rest of the story and characters are good. And I certainly enjoyed the characters dilemmas with the Angels as well as themsevels. So many twists and turns and dark reveals that really got me emotionally.

Again, not really what I was hoping for or expecting, especially with all the praise it's gotten over the years, but a great show nonetheless.

Maybe after watching EOE today, my opinion of the series will be even more positive.
Ah, you haven't watched EoE yet. I definitely want to hear your thoughts on that after you watch.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And no I haven't watched EoE yet. I'm going to. But I am completely 100% intimidated by it. I'm easily freaked out by body horror so I know this movie is going to throw me into a loop. I've been reading lots of spoilers to prepare myself but uh yikes.
It's definitely a very raw emotional experience. If you are satisfied with the TV versions of episodes 25 and 26 and the way the show ended as a whole, you don't HAVE to watch EoE. You won't get the whole picture however.