• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Never realized until now that so many of the frames that Shinji is in have him placed so he stands or sits alone or half obscured by something. It's wonderfully done. And subtle.

Watching this with new eyes is allowing me to see what I didn't before. This show is hardly about the mecha, it's about the people.

catskratch

Oct 25, 2017
Since so many people have seen the whole series by now, I wanted to share this AMV I made back in 1999 right after getting a hold of a very early VHS tape of End of EVA and just VHS/DVDs of the rest of the series. I probably will remaster this at some point with the Netflix source so I apologize for the horrible quality but I hope it's enjoyed by all of those new to the series who haven't seen this yet! Also does contain spoilers as it has footage from the whole series + movies

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I legit don't have anything to dislike about Shinji... though I still have the last two episodes and EoE.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 12

I found Misato and Ritsuko's conversation about the size of the possible impact to be a little dark and funny. I love how the adults in the show manage to joke around even when they're constantly facing life ending predicaments on a near daily basis. I guess that's how people cope.

I also realized that when I first watched Eva, I probably just watched a handful of episodes and EoE. I don't remember anything and I have no idea why I hated Shinji so much. His behaviors and feelings make perfect sense in context. Maybe it's because I'm an adult now and I can understand characters better now than when I was a kid.

shergal

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 19

Wow, Shinji really is such a big loser.
I mean, the power of the robot stopped working...

Episode 19 is fun when you're familiar with other Gainax shows and Super Robot in general, because up until the ending it follows the classic structure of the "redemption" episodes that are routinely used as turning points for the MCs of those shows. Think Gunbuster 4, Gurren Lagann 11 etc. it's supposed to be the episode where Shinji finally takes responsibility for his role in the show (pilot the EVA, fight the angels) and starts performing accordingly. But it all goes to hell, Shinji doesn't matter and we're just left wondering whether the EVA is gonna kill the entire cast before it even fights the rest of the angels. So good

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 12

I found Misato and Ritsuko's conversation about the size of the possible impact to be a little dark and funny. I love how the adults in the show manage to joke around even when they're constantly facing life ending predicaments on a near daily basis. I guess that's how people cope.

I also realized that when I first watched Eva, I probably just watched a handful of episodes and EoE. I don't remember anything and I have no idea why I hated Shinji so much. His behaviors and feelings make perfect sense in context. Maybe it's because I'm an adult now and I can understand characters better now than when I was a kid.
I definitely have way more empathy now as an adult for Shnji and the other pilots. I always felt for them, but sometimes (especially with Shinji) it was like c'mon bro, just get in the robot and be an anime hero (I was just 13 when I first saw the series).

Being older and having dealt with bouts of depression myself, I now understand the pilot characters much better.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just about to read through this one, but to be honest, a lot of the defining traits/popularity of Eva really stems from how unhinged Anno gets with its visuals and storytelling. I don't know that could be translated anywhere else, by anyone else.
Yeah, it's a work so completely tied to Anno, I'm not sure anyone else could do it. Now, a live action movie written and directed by Anno......

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad you took that away from the show, and the true meaning of the ending. I wish everyone that watched it when it first aired did. Instead of sending Anno death threats because they didn't get their pew pews.

I'm also glad you getting better. ❤

And yet. It's still flies over the head of a lot of people.
I'm gonna be honest..I have no idea what y'all are talking about lol

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely have way more empathy now as an adult for Shnji and the other pilots. I always felt for them, but sometimes (especially with Shinji) it was like c'mon bro, just get in the robot and be an anime hero (I was just 13 when I first saw the series).

Being older and having dealt with bouts of depression myself, I now understand the pilot characters much better.

Yeah, Shinji has the most realistic reactions. Someone tells you to pilot this alien giant, and battle other alien giants, you'd have to be an insane idiot, to go "Yeah awesome alright". The character doesn't even need to be depressed to reject something like. All the reaction are realistic,
told to kill another human by his cunting father, why would he be ok with that

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
just finished EoE

glad I watched 25 and 26 first, prepares you very well for how insane EoE is. that last line really threw me for a loop in a way that didn't occur for everything that happened before. I'm sure there is a pretty fierce debate on what it actually means

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
saw this on twitter oh khara's English subtitler

That's a valid translation given the history of far-left terrorism in Japan, and the terms used to refer to it in Japanese.

The original Japanese describing the terror incident is "セクトによるテロ事件". The word セクト (literally, "sect") was very frequently used to describe extremist groups like the Japanese Red Army or the East Asia Anti-Japan Armed Front that carried out terrorist attacks in Japan in the mid-to-late 70s, and their descendants.

The twitter thread I'm partially excerpting here is a good broad read of it, given the context of when the work was created. While you'd be justified in translating this either way, this is absolutely a situation where proximity to the studio creator would be useful to knowing which sort of terrorism it was intended to refer to.

For what it's worth, when I do a Google search for セクト and テロ事件 (terrorist attack), the Japanese-language results are about far-left terrorism locally, and radical Islamic terrorism abroad.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Ray Chase man. Ray Chase may be the star of the new dub for me as Gendo. Crazy that this is Noctis from Final Fantasy lol

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I KNEW Misato's voice sounded familiar.

It's Mitsuki from Kappa Mikey

Kappa_Mikey.jpg

I loved this poorly animated show.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
That's a valid translation given the history of far-left terrorism in Japan, and the terms used to refer to it in Japanese.

The original Japanese describing the terror incident is "セクトによるテロ事件". The word セクト (literally, "sect") was very frequently used to describe extremist groups like the Japanese Red Army or the East Asia Anti-Japan Armed Front that carried out terrorist attacks in Japan in the mid-to-late 70s, and their descendants.

The twitter thread I'm partially excerpting here is a good broad read of it, given the context of when the work was created. While you'd be justified in translating this either way, this is absolutely a situation where proximity to the studio creator would be useful to knowing which sort of terrorism it was intended to refer to.

For what it's worth, when I do a Google search for セクト and テロ事件 (terrorist attack), the Japanese-language results are about far-left terrorism locally, and radical Islamic terrorism abroad.

I like how each time someone gets mad about the Netflix subs people explain how the translation is more accurate to the original Japanese. lol

This is the only time I've seen people actively wish a translation wasn't accurate just because they're used to their inaccurate version.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Oh no, look at the kid who has been through hell back to back and only has batshit insane people around him! What a loser, hm?"
Gendo's such a loser they won't even waste money animating his mouth so he always has that hands over mouth pose

also making little girl clones of his wife in his basement.

Oct 25, 2017
I like how each time someone gets mad about the Netflix subs people explain how the translation is more accurate to the original Japanese. lol

This is the only time I've seen people actively wish a translation wasn't accurate just because they're used to their inaccurate version.
Excuse me, let me introduce you to the hell of being a Dragon Ball fan

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just loving the Portuguese-BR subs.

"Eu tô é muito pistola!"

Fine job, Netflix.

This is only my second watch of the series and man, I was missing out by not doing it before. You just get everything way better the second time. Even all these years, I think Ilove this show even more now.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017

Except I would argue it's not at all an accurate translation. In fact I would argue it's a badly done and overly literal translation.

'Leftist' has a very different connotation than what is being used in the original scene and that context is entirely lost in the process. If the scene had used the words 'New Left' or something closer it would've more accurately described the original scene while avoiding the cultural context of 'Leftist' in modern day discourse. The fact that people are missing this context and arguing about it should tell you that it was a bad translation.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Except I would argue it's not at all an accurate translation. In fact I would argue it's a badly done and overly literal translation.

'Leftist' has a very different connotation than what is being used in the original scene and that context is entirely lost in the process. If the scene had used the words 'New Left' or something closer it would've more accurately described the original scene while avoiding the cultural context of 'Leftist' in modern day discourse. The fact that people are missing this context and arguing about it should tell you that it was a bad translation.
If people arguing about stuff was a good enough reason to say something was handled poorly then nothing ever is done well.

And I don't think show that came out in the 90s should be altered for audiences in 2019. People reading leftist and then thinking it's about left and alt right stuff in 2019 America is not the translator's problem.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
If people arguing about stuff was a good enough reason to say something was handled poorly then nothing ever is done well.

And I don't think show that came out in the 90s should be altered for audiences in 2019. People reading leftist and then thinking it's about left and alt right stuff in 2019 America is not the translator's problem.
Except the term leftist very specifically evokes something different than what the translation is going for. That absolutely is the translators problem, because their goal is to translate that cultural context in a way that makes sense. You're essentially arguing that the translator shouldn't actually translate things and just literally transcribe things one to one, which is how you get shitty translations.

They could've called him an 'alt-left' terrorist and still have a literal translation. But it would've been an even shittier one.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

Accurate translation not the same as good localization