• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Kaworu stopped it before it was completed. (he threw the lances into Unit 1, to stop it)

Yeah, that was very frustrating.

But why did Kaworu do that? We never got an answer of why he stopped it. His whole plan to pull a fast one on Gendo in 3.33 makes no sense, why in God's name would Gendo trust him after he stopped the very thing he wanted. Am I missing a huge chunk here?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
But why did Kaworu do that? We never got an answer of why he stopped it. His whole plan to pull a fast one on Gendo in 3.33 makes no sense, why in God's name would Gendo trust him after he stopped the very thing he wanted. Am I missing a huge chunk here?

Gendo said he wanted to get rid of him also. Him and anything SEELE as Kaworu and SEELE stopped what HE wanted before which was the third impact started with Shinji and Rei.

He then played buddy buddy with SEELE until they leave him in charge, then planned to play Kaworu with the Lances stuff. He seemed glad he died

I rewatched 2.22 and 3.3.33 today and there's a scene were

Gendo asks for more funding to repair Unit 00, SEELE replies that 00 already played it's part and that they rather spend resources on Units Mk.06 and onwards and focus on their plans of instrumentality, Gendo and Fuyutsuki deduce theyre going to use 06 as their God, and say they must hurry and awaken Unit 01 to carry their own plans.

That plan is what Kaworu stops under SEELE's orders, as they are the ones that deployed EVA 06 with the lances.

At the end of 3.33 we see Gendo saying that getting rid of SEELE, SEELE's boy, awakening Unit 13 and fucking with Misato put his plans back on track

Last edited:

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Seele sent him

Kaworu is very weird in how he's characterized. Seemingly a powerful being, with the knowledge of God knows how many iterations of trying to save his boyfriend and humanity. Yet he does not know what these Spears look like, he trusts Seele, he puts on explosives on his neck. It just feels dissonant for the sake of making him intriguing and yet not flawless. It bothers me greatly how he's presented in the Rebuilds.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I edited my post in the last page on the scene that I feel is key to understand what happened

I'll just repost it

Gendo asks for more funding to repair Unit 00, SEELE replies that 00 already played it's part and that they rather spend resources on Units Mk.06 and onwards and focus on their plans of instrumentality, Gendo and Fuyutsuki deduce theyre going to use 06 as their God, and say they must hurry and awaken Unit 01 to carry their own plans.

That plan is what Kaworu stops under SEELE's orders, as they are the ones that deployed EVA 06 with the lance.

At the end of 3.33 we see Gendo saying that getting rid of SEELE, SEELE's boy, awakening Unit 13 and fucking with Misato put his plans back on track

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Kaworu is very weird in how he's characterized. Seemingly a powerful being, with the knowledge of God knows how many iterations of trying to save his boyfriend and humanity. Yet he does not know what these Spears look like, he trusts Seele, he puts on explosives on his neck. It just feels dissonant for the sake of making him intriguing and yet not flawless. It bothers me greatly how he's presented in the Rebuilds.

He knows how the Spears look, that's exactly why he notices somethings wrong with his plan to give Shinji a second chance, he puts the explosives in his neck to prove Shinji he can trust him, remember, he puts it on to convince Shinji to get into the EVA. He doesn't really care about dying so it's in character for me.

As for him working with SEELR, that's also present in the OG series and are very very vague there too, I'd say he just uses them as a means to an end, only this time he got played

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
He knows how the Spears look, that's exactly why he notices somethings wrong with his plan to give Shinji a second chance, he puts the explosives in his neck to prove Shinji he can trust him, remember, he puts it on to convince Shinji to get into the EVA.

As for him working with SEELR, that's also present in the OG series and are very very vague there too

Yeah he knows that the Spears are wrong but doesn't properly convey to Shinji why he should stop, he just despairs. It's weird because at this point we would think Shinji would listen to him unconditionally, as you say it is his life very much on the line.

I still think the collar is way too dramatic a gesture. Taking his collar off is more than enough. Putting it on puts a huge amount of stress on Shinji, the more I watch it the more it feels like torture.

Sure the OG show has him working with Seele. I pray we learn what in the name of God is happening with him and Seele.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah he knows that the Spears are wrong but doesn't properly convey to Shinji why he should stop, he just despairs. It's weird because at this point we would think Shinji would listen to him unconditionally, as you say it is his life very much on the line.

I still think the collar is way too dramatic a gesture. Taking his collar off is more than enough. Putting it on puts a huge amount of stress on Shinji, the more I watch it the more it feels like torture.

Sure the OG show has him working with Seele. I pray we learn what in the name of God is happening with him and Seele.

I wouldn't say he despairs he goes
"Huh, weird"
Then starts thinking, then goes "oh f-" and straight up asks him to stop

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Putting the collar on himself is the ultimate power move for Kaworu. Putting that on him Shinji would have followed him even inside lava if he asked him.

Rebuild Kaworu is an extremely manipulative person, what he did to Shinji in 3.33 is pure abuse. He crafted a scenario where Shinji could do nothing but interact with him, he lied to him and he essentially brainwashed Shinji into worshipping him and his plan that would fix literally every problem Shinji has.

Kaworu is an asshole.

Don't worry, there could still be a bunch of Kaworus left.

Is there Rebuild OT?

1MXRYKh.png

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Putting the collar on himself is the ultimate power move for Kaworu. Putting that on him Shinji would have followed him even inside lava if he asked him.

Rebuild Kaworu is an extremely manipulative person, what he did to Shinji in 3.33 is pure abuse. He crafted a scenario where Shinji could do nothing but interact with him, he lied to him and he essentially brainwashed Shinji into worshipping him and his plan that would fix literally every problem Shinji has.

Kaworu is an asshole.

1MXRYKh.png

I agree. It's very weird because clearly his objective changes every time he meets Shinji. It's like he wants to help and be with Shinji, But never learns how to have a healthy relationship that doesn't hurt him, via his sacrifice, or revolves around times where Shinji is emotionally vulneeable. I guess Seele may never give him a choice in this TBH.

I did not like that shot in the trailer. It has major flashback vibes to me. I actually hope it's a flashback. If it ends up being some weird Rei situation I will not stand for it. God imagine learning the person you care for is just one of many clones that you keep getting killed across time and space.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I agree. It's very weird because clearly his objective changes every time he meets Shinji. It's like he wants to help and be with Shinji, But never learns how to have a healthy relationship that doesn't hurt him, via his sacrifice, or revolves around times where Shinji is emotionally vulneeable. I guess Seele may never give him a choice in this TBH.

I did not like that shot in the trailer. It has major flashback vibes to me. I actually hope it's a flashback. If it ends up being some weird Rei situation I will not stand for it. God imagine learning the person you care for is just one of many clones that you keep getting killed across time and space.

It can't be a flashback as neither is wearing the DSS choker. It looks like Shinji is sitting in a bunk bed inside the Wunder, so I think it's some sort of crazy vision Shinji is having

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
It can't be a flashback as neither is wearing the DSS choker. It looks like Shinji is sitting in a bunk bed inside the Wunder, so I think it's some sort of crazy vision Shinji is having

That or he's knee deep in fourth impact no takes backsies this time. Do you know which scene number this is? I think the trailer had the scene number for each shot.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

The article gets ONE of the points of 2.22 and 3.33 and blow them up to the point of being the only point of the movies.

It's not as black and white.

Regarding the sequel theory, 2.22 and especially 3.33 completely debunk it. A self contained looping timeline is far more likely.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
At this point it's clear Mari is just another pilot and not the focus of the story.

She's fun to watch as Asuka's cover fire

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
At this point it's clear Mari is just another pilot and not the focus of the story.

She's fun to watch as Asuka's cover fire

The interesting thing imo is that Mari and Asuka have exactly the same amount of backstory explanations in the movies (close to 0), but since people wrongly fill Asuka's hole with her NGE background no one seems to be bothered by her.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about EoE and had this question.
What are the requirements for an impact to occur? Because when Asuka is pierced by one of the spears thrown by the MP Eva's how come an impact didn't occur then?

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been a fan of the series for a long time, but now the first watch podcasts and my own friends reactions have me confused lol.

I always figured that Yui did exclude Gendo from instrumentality, but I always assumed he was still just killed by one of the Reis taking the form of Unit-01, but most reactions I've seen took it at face value. But I'm not supposed to believe Unit-01 actually descended from the heavens and bit Gendo in half right?

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been a fan of the series for a long time, but now the first watch podcasts and my own friends reactions have me confused lol.

I always figured that Yui did exclude Gendo from instrumentality, but I always assumed he was still just killed by one of the Reis taking the form of Unit-01, but most reactions I've seen took it at face value. But I'm not supposed to believe Unit-01 actually descended from the heavens and bit Gendo in half right?
No

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
As a first time viewer, Evangelion has consumed my life for the last month and a half or so. I don't have much to say at the moment other than out of all the podcasts I have listened to I enjoyed The Ringer's the most. I know there are a lot of parts of Evangelion that are "problematic" but some of Waypoint's criticisms were a bit of a reach and honestly as a first time viewer I am looking more to just enjoy it and discuss the wacko shit on screen then get deep into these issues.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
As a first time viewer, Evangelion has consumed my life for the last month and a half or so. I don't have much to say at the moment other than out of all the podcasts I have listened to I enjoyed The Ringer's the most. I know there are a lot of parts of Evangelion that are "problematic" but some of Waypoint's criticisms were a bit of a reach and honestly as a first time viewer I am looking more to just enjoy it and discuss the wacko shit on screen then get deep into these issues.

May give them a listen. Waypoint',s criticisms seem to stem from the vague and non committed structure of the narrative,plot, and themes. They just stopped being charitable with interpreting the show at the end and giving Evangelion a close text read is just going to be dissapointing. I think their talk about the problematic representation of women is not too off the mark, at least on a first view basis.

Deleted member 58832

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Starting Eva up again, I'm on episode 6. Since my last watch, I've been neck deep in helping a family member deal with severe mental illness. It's putting everything in a very interesting new light.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a relative recent thread to discuss the dub controversy or should I just post about it here?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
As someone who watched Eva for the first time on Netflix, then went back to skim-watch the original English dub, my personal opinion is such: There are a lot of parts where the original dub was better, but they are vastly outnumbered by the times the new dub is better (especially when it comes to the side characters).

On the other hand, "My life is worth living here" vs. "It's okay for me to be part of this world" comes close to single-handedly making me prefer the original dub. It doesn't, but man it comes close.

Lombaszko

Oct 25, 2017
Intrigued by podcast episodes of Retronauts and What a Cartoon taking about the series, I finally marathoned it as well as EoE during this week.
I absolutely loved it and has been difficult to stop thinking about.
Seems like the kind of show where my life would have been different, had I seen this back in the day when I was in middle or high school. I could have really used Eva as I was going through my own issues. Glad I could see it now though.

Anyway, today I'm walking around Boston with my daughter in the Public Garden and there is someone playing saxophone. They start playing "An Cruel Angel's Thesis" and I just get so happy! I told the guy he made my day.
It was a nice coincidence and reaffirmed to me that I had seen something special.

Three 6 Mafia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got done with the 26 episode series and I have to say I love how they used silence. They're some of the most impactful and some of my favorite scenes.

I'll start EoE tomorrow

Deleted member 20603

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've watched a lot of episodes...I don't think I can take it anymore. God everything is depressing as fuck in this. Great show otherwise; I particularly loved the enemy designs.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017

I saw a post on Reddit recently where the fans there were clearly divided on what happened even if some individuals acted like there was obvious consensus.

My big thing is why would it be possible for Yui or anyone to prevent someone from joining Instrumentality? It makes more sense for me that it was the manifestation of the Rei that came to get him like you said. The punishment was that in his last moments he doesn't get to see a happy Yui

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Me after the first 15 episodes: "huh, I don't get why people say this is so weird"

Me after episode 24: "this shit is really weird"

Anyway, I'll probably finish it up tomorrow. What is the deal with the movies? I've read they aren't sequels but retellings of the story that change the ending or something?