• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Although this series is old, there will be many new people watching for the first time. Please tag your spoilers for now. In the standard Netflix OT procedure, untagged spoilers will be allowed after two weeks. If you want to discuss the series with full spoilers, please go to the franchise OT.

Info
Netflix Release Date:
June 21st, 2019
Original Release Date: October 4, 1995
Episodes: 26 + 2 movies
Plot: Fifteen years after the Second Impact, Shinji Ikari joins his father's group NERV as one of several teenage mecha pilots fighting the monstrous Angels.

Characters
Shinji Ikari
| JP: Megumi Ogata | EN: Casey Mongillo
shinji2uzjfh.png

Rei Ayanami | JP: Megumi Hayashibara | EN: Ryan Bartley
rei3djoq.png

Asuka Langley Soryu | JP: Yūko Miyamura | EN: Stephanie McKeon
asukaq5koy.png

Misato Katsuragi | JP: Kotono Mitsuishi | EN: Carrie Keranen
misatoqjj9x.png

Gendoh Ikari | JP: Fumihiko Tachiki | EN: Ray Chase
gendo0ckl2.png

What is this?
Neon Genesis Evangelion is a mecha anime produced by studio Gainax and Hideaki Anno in 1995. The show takes many anime tropes and plays them both straight and flipped with a cast of developed, relatable and most importantly, human characters. It ranges in tone from a light-hearted action series to an arthouse introspective drama.
Despite being extremely popular and influential, there was a 10 year period where it was fairly hard to watch in the west. Now Netflix is fixing this and offering up the entire series for streaming worldwide. Included is a brand new English dub with a new cast.

What do I need to watch?
While the franchise has expanded since its original release, all new viewers need to watch is the original 26 episode series and the movie finale The End of Evangelion. The watch order of everything availible on Netflix is as follows:
  1. Neon Genesis Evangelion Episodes 1-26
  2. EVANGELION: DEATH (TRUE)² (Optional recap film)
  3. The End of Evangelion
For those wanting some newcomer-friendly companion pieces, the podcast Sync Ratios goes episode by episode with screenwriters Ben Collins & Luke Piotrowski and Waypoint Radio will be going over the show in batches with a group of newcomers and an expert.

OT title suggested by Kensation.

Last edited:

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You could easily skip episodes 25 and 26.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Think I'll rewatch this, been at least 15 years since I've seen it last I think.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I watched this for the first time less than a year ago and I'm already ready for a rewatch. Are they planning to bring the Rebuild films at some point?

Oct 27, 2017
man episodes 25 and 26 are some of the best in the series

i'm so excited, Evangelion is super important to me and I've been pestering my friends to watch it for over year, and now i finally get to share it with them! i assume we're getting the directors cuts of 21, 22, 23, and 24, right?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuuck i'm torn between watching reliving the crazyness of EVA or binge-watching S2 of Dark first.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
when i re-watch the series i skip episodes 25 and 26. i wont for this cause there's a new dub cast.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a Japanese audio with subtitles option? Not sure how it works on Netflix as I don't subscribe.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we've gotten word that they're streaming the director's cuts of the episodes, so I hope we at least get the option.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man. The deluge of horny idiots who completely misunderstand every point the show is trying to make, instead dumbing down these psychologically damaged teens to fuckable sex objects is going to be maddening. Waifu discussions in the context of this show are sooo disgusting, man.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna skip anything, you could probably pass on Death & Rebirth instead of episodes 25 and 26.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
You could easily skip episodes 25 and 26.
OP's lack of the best girl is triggering me.
Thread is proceeding as expected.

(Don't skip episodes 25 and 26)

Oh man. The deluge of horny idiots who completely misunderstand every point the show is trying to make, instead dumbing down these psychologically damaged teens to fuckable sex objects is going to be maddening. Waifu discussions in the context of this show are sooo disgusting, man.

Yeah. While I'm looking forward to all the reactions from people who have never seen it before, now that that day is finally here, this part of the fandom and discussion is starting to sink in a bit.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
I end up watching the film a couple times a year but I seriously cannot wait to watch EoE in HD.