• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
This is why everyone should use Firefox. Mozilla still adheres to Google old catchphrase of "Don't be evil"

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
Definitely. That browser has gotten worse and worse throughout the years. I haven't used Chrome in about 4 years now. It's a massive memory hog. I keep my browser open 24/7 with usually at least 10 tabs open. In Vivaldi currently with *counts* 22 tabs open for over a week I am using 837MB of RAM. If I did that in Chrome, it'd be straight up around 3.5GBs. It's insane. They need to manage their memory better.

Why the hell do you do that? Why keep your computer on 24/7 with two dozen browser tabs open?

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Fuck both of these companies, honestly. I'd care to listen about Google's attempted monopoly if it comes from literally anyone else, instead of Microsoft.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Even if you don't like Microsoft (and I'm certainly liking them less and less), it's not hard to buy their side of the story. This is something that Google can get away with quite easily, and since they don't exactly have a clean record when it comes to anti-competitive practices.

Why the hell do you do that? Why keep your computer on 24/7 with two dozen browser tabs open?
If you can do it, why the heck not? It's way more convenient to navigate to an open tab than to hunt down a link or a bookmark. And a lot of people who leave their computer on 24/7 do so for all sorts of reasons that don't have to do with browsing. Sure it's not something regular users would do, but we're not all regular users.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I do a shitton of research and multitasking over the span of sometimes 2 weeks for my clients. Also, the computer isn't really on 24/7; it goes into hibernation when I'm not around after 10 minutes. It's easier to just keep the tabs open rather than saving a session. Mostly a habit at this point. Still, point still stands, Chrome can't handle that workflow and it's a shame. Chrome used to be amazing but that growing memory problem has never been fixed.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This seems to be digging history but it seems karma coming back. I remember microsoft coming up with their own version of tags and web standards such as their own version of Java (remember MSJVM?), ActiveX (aka the reason XP Service Pack 2 exists), among many many many other examples..

I'm not too happy about Google doing all these nonsense too truth to be told but i guess that's the nature of companies when they grew too big...Look at Apple (with their proprietary nonsense), Amazon (Chromecast getting the benched in the Store for the longest time), Facebook (we knew too well) and obviously Microsoft.

What can i say...none of these big Tech houses is your friend or the industry's friend as well. All they want is control.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
They've done the same with Firefox.
Constantly push new standards, force your competition to adapt so they always play catch up and you have the upper hand.
Reminds me of Nvidia abusing tessellation so that it had an upper hand over AMD during the 400 series.

Eh the Firefox comparsion isn't really a good once since

1. Firefox was the dominate browser when Chrome launched
2. Mozilla was pushing their own standards as well.
3. The web was way more fractured back than then current day.

Chrome/Google pushing Mozilla was necessary

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Who's surprised by this? If you use any other browser than Chrome, you know Google does this.

If you don't use Chrome and visit mobile Google search results, you get a vastly inferior experience. Google claims compatibility issues, but you have to be severely up Google's ass to actually believe that. When you switch the useragent and pretend your browser is Chrome, everything works perfectly. And Google knows it. They intentionally serve a worse experience, hoping you'll switch to Chrome.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Something about chickens coming home to roost for MS here.

Hey ho, cue shock at multi billion pound tech corps screwing each other

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Gmail runs like shit on firefox.
It's pretty much the only app i use that runs like shit on firefox compared to chrome.

I hope the EU delivers justice for that kind of shittiness, at some point.
The new gmail runs like shit on chrome as well. I haven't tried it on firefox though, maybe it's worse there.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft complaining about a rival browser developer sabotaging the web is irony gold.

Oct 27, 2017
Its a shame they are abandoning the engine. We could probably use a bit more competition in that space. Everyone collaborating on the one open source engine is pretty cool though.

As to the dirty business stuff: rat them out to the EU. EU loves is fines on american companies.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Can someone make a thread about how un-usable YouTube is now? I don't have those priveledges. There's a commercial every 2 minutes in every video. It's insane

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I'm sure this stuff happens all the time, but it's still sad to see.

Chrome runs far smoother on my android phone than other all other browsers... I wonder if there's foul play in action, or just better optimisation. Maybe both?

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
As a Safari user...
- Gmail runs quite badly
- Google Hangout on the side of Gmail does not load half of the time
- Youtube now seems to like to periodically crash

I don't know if it's just me or it's a Safari thing. The conspiracy side of me obviously thinks Google is doing this to mess with Apple users... I am not a happy camper :(

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Ironic considering where we were a bit over a decade ago, with the EU fining Microsoft for bundling IE with Windows (and not allowing a built-in choice between it and other browsers).

You'd think the company who chiefly benefited from that would also be wary of it being turned on them, but alas.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
I think the last quote says it all. The web moves waaaay too fast to only be releasing every 6 months. Things change, whether malicious or unintentional/incompetence, you have to be in a place to adapt.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably 100% true. Sure it is straight out of Microsoft's playbook, but that does not mean that they are lying about it.
You could call it karma, but that would be moronic as the customers are the real losers here.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
the whataboutism here is astounding. this is not about feeling sorry for corporations, but about the consumers being affected by shitty corporate practices.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
"making them not run properly on other browsers"

Oh, the same way I have to use that shitty Microsoft Store and UWA stuff I guess?

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft is not the one getting a hit due to this, but consumers. This 'whatabout'ism is rediculous. Essentially Google is killing competition and choice. This is the prime example of power abuse. It shocks me that so many people say 'well Microsoft did it back then so Google do it now'. We're past that. How about it was wrong back then and it's wrong now? Shameful replies.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone make a thread about how un-usable YouTube is now? I don't have those priveledges. There's a commercial every 2 minutes in every video. It's insane

That's on the content creators. They're the ones who choose to put ads everywhere.

Look, Netscape's BLINK tag was an obvious innovation. It was Microsoft's MARQUEE that was a proprietary cancer upon HTML.
Being more serious, it's not fair to claim Mozilla/Firefox do the same as Netscape's did

Okay. Moz/Firefox has curbed its bad behavior, and probably has very little or even no remaining Netscape code at this point. I'll give you that it's not fair to blame Firefox for the sins of its father.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah, but the real question is why the SharePoint team are trying to sabotage Edge by not having it work for shit in their own browser.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck Google. If it has been happening for a while, it is 100% their fault.
I hope the EU will look at this.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Google screwed over Windows Phone with YouTube as well. Microsoft even made it, supported ads and everything according to Google design and guidelines but they wouldn't allow it. Not that Windows Phone needed any help to die but Google were deliberately cutting them off at the knee.

Doesn't Microsoft getting involved in Chrome mean Google can't throw their weight around as much though?

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
some 6 yeats ago, just installing Chrome would make other browsers on the same machine run slower for some reason. uninstalling Chrome would fix the problem.. haven't used Chrome since

Oct 25, 2017
While it's incredibly amusing to see MS complain about doing the very thing they got in trouble for, It'd be nice if our government still had the balls to pursue antitrust cases against tech giants. MS fucking over Netscape doesn't excuse Google fucking over MS.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Google screwed over Windows Phone with YouTube as well. Microsoft even made it, supported ads and everything according to Google design and guidelines but they wouldn't allow it. Not that Windows Phone needed any help to die but Google were deliberately cutting them off at the knee.

Microsoft repeatedly broke the YouTube TOU, including putting Google in breach of their music licenses.

They were lucky Google didn't sue, bluntly.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Chrome is also killing the battery on Mac. It's not a Windows exclusive feature.

Is the picture lying?

Linus tried doing a test and it shows the claims might not be accurate. His own tests and re-creating MS' test.

So while Google has been shitting the bed a lot, I would need accusations from someone a little more credible than MS to immediately agree they are maliciously targeting MS.

Isn't Chrome statistically a memory hog?

That is true. For various reasons (including that and their push for signing-in to the browser), I jumped to Firefox earlier this year.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Gmail runs like shit on firefox.
It's pretty much the only app i use that runs like shit on firefox compared to chrome.

YouTube as well although I'm not sure if Gmail's new design is using the same underpinnings as Youtube. At least for Firefox there's a Classic Youtube extension that forces the old UI which runs smoother. I've just taken to using Thunderbird again for Gmail at home which works surprisingly well with the Expression Search add-on.

Serving different code to different browsers is not unusual, because they support different functionality. It's extremely common to see production javascript code that has a bunch of checks based on what the browser is and render stuff differently based on that.

Google's Polymer codebase (which powers YouTube's UI if not other Google products and possibly other websites) was using a pre-release/non-standard version of the Shadow DOM API which was deprecated by... every other browser except Chrome :/ If Polymer didn't find the version of the API it needed to run it would inject its own polyfill but that would run significantly slower than native support. Chrome is going to be deprecating this older API in March according to a blog post by the Polymer team back in October, so hopefully the rest of Google gets their shit together by then.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't feel sorry for Microsoft. Like they didn't screw companies over for decades.

No one really remembers how awful Microsoft was/is unless your an IT major and truly understand all the behind the scenes BS microsoft pulled over the years.
We've come full circle eh
Fuck both of these companies, honestly. I'd care to listen about Google's attempted monopoly if it comes from literally anyone else, instead of Microsoft.
Something about chickens coming home to roost for MS here.

Hey ho, cue shock at multi billion pound tech corps screwing each other
Microsoft complaining about a rival browser developer sabotaging the web is irony gold.
Ironic considering where we were a bit over a decade ago, with the EU fining Microsoft for bundling IE with Windows (and not allowing a built-in choice between it and other browsers).

You'd think the company who chiefly benefited from that would also be wary of it being turned on them, but alas.

To be clear: Yes there is of course an irony in MS being the ones to complain about this — but ultimately, the overall loss here isn't to MS (they will just switch to chrome and not care), it's in user choice and adherence to web standards instead of forced/deaf to standards.

Stuff being broken accidentally then repaired is one thing, but no one wins when companies are going out of their way to break shit or invoke a poorer experience for us to make us switch.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
no no, Google is good you, see, therefore them having a monopoly is surely good as well.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's particularly interesting about this is that whether Google did this intentionally or not, Microsoft fell into a trap that it set for itself. When Bakita says, "we couldn't keep up", and goes on to say that the issue is fixed in the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, that's actually because Microsoft set a path for itself where it could only add new features to Edge with feature updates to Windows 10. That limits the company to twice per year.

i was going to make this very comment

google sucks ass and i totally believe they've been kneecapping other browser vendors but in this particular case microsoft had already tied their own shoelaces together

Oct 25, 2017
Linus tried doing a test and it shows the claims might not be accurate. His own tests and re-creating MS' test.

So while Google has been shitting the bed a lot, I would need accusations from someone a little more credible than MS to immediately agree they are maliciously targeting MS.

That is true. For various reasons (including that and their push for signing-in to the browser), I jumped to Firefox earlier this year.

In terms of battery: there are far too many variables at play to have it be a simple test of "lets compare"

In terms of Google targeting Chrome over IE/Firefox for their web apps; this is 100% accurate and multiple times I have turned back to Chrome because things like Drive perform SO poorly outside of chrome.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I don't understand why windows has the storefront and then instead of putting edge updates there ties them only to the OS update system

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why windows has the storefront and then instead of putting edge updates there ties them only to the OS update system
Their switch to Chromium will also decouple the browser from Windows Updates and instead be updated more regularly. Being stuck to OS updates really hampered them in the long run.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
As a Safari user...
- Gmail runs quite badly
- Google Hangout on the side of Gmail does not load half of the time
- Youtube now seems to like to periodically crash

I don't know if it's just me or it's a Safari thing. The conspiracy side of me obviously thinks Google is doing this to mess with Apple users... I am not a happy camper :(
This is why I sometimes use Opera (with the battery saver feature on) instead of Safari.

All devs just use Chrome to test their web apps, but never care about performance for any other browsers. :/

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
All devs just use Chrome to test their web apps, but never care about performance for any other browsers. :/

This site included.

I use Firefox on my high end PC and all google services are brute forced to run well, but run their services on a "normal" setup and you see Google's bullshit come through again and again.

On my rMBP I love Safari, but I do run into issues from time to time. New Gmail is utter trash.

MS choice to move to Blink just handed over the keys to Google to abuse their power even more.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of google's memory fuckery... Is it me or has it been getting worse recently? Used to be I could open 20 tabs and keep things under 8 gigs, but now it damn near uses 12 gigs when I have 20 open.