• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
As usual, NERD updates us on their work with the SNES Classic.

September 29th 2017
Nintendo releases the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Nintendo releases the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System, enabling a new
generation of players to enjoy some of the most iconic games of the 1990s, an era considered by many as
the pinnacle of 2D gaming and the start of 3D gaming.

Despite early anticipation from fans following the release of the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo
Entertainment System in 2016, NERD has strived to surprise users with the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super
Nintendo Entertainment System, all the while refining the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment
System experience.

In charge of developing the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System software stack,
NERD is proud to highlight the following contributions:

• Super FX support, bringing emulation of Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, and Star Fox 2, a previously unreleased title, for the first time!
  • The rewind feature, which enables you to redo a difficult section of a game without having to start at the beginning again
  • A refined, tack sharp 4:3 mode with no aliasing
  • Dynamic decorative frames that add color to all that unused space on modern 16:9 TVs
  • Smoother menu to game transitions
http://www.nerd.nintendo.com/

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I truly hope that they do the Virtual Console for the Switch, because the SNES Mini is terrific! Can only get better seeing the improvements they've made from the NES Mini.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll implement the new 4:3 mode with the re-released NES Classic.

Deleted member 62

Content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for BigN to have NERD.
Before they handled everything emulator related it was more bad than good.
Remember the GCN Player or N64 games on the WiiU? Horrible.
Sure it isn't perfect but the best we've seen so far.

In terms of Switch VC, I don't think we will see anything cartridge based but I do hope to see
Gamecube support. More people need to have the chance to play Paper Mario 2 or Fire Emblem without paying 100€

Deleted member 62

Content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean the Game Boy Player for the GameCube? What was wrong with that?
Yes the GB Player for the Cube. The image quality is just bad. It runs fine but too blurry and dark to provide a great experience. If you wanna now more or see why (and have enough time) I'll recommend this video:

Yohane

Oct 25, 2017
Kudos NERD for their marvelous working on this awesome piece for hardware and software.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember marveling at NERD's work back when they were Mobiclip, watching small movies playing on Metroid Prime Hunters. Apparently they had been working with Nintendo even longer than that! They've had quite the career trajectory.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
That's a pretty nice roundup. Haven't played it myself but this sounds like they did a decent job on the SNES mini.

That got me thinking which "surprises" they might have in store for a rumored N64 mini. People have been saying that the library wouldn't provide enough of a selling point.

So what if Nintendo tried to go with a "Nintendo 3D Classics" instead, comprising the n64 and GameCube libraries. Would there even feasible emulators for that?