• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Best:
Guy Gardner discovers he is part shape shifting alien
latest

X-treme Rogue being able to dial up powers she had absorbed like a phone book
Rogue-Marvel-Comics-X-Treme-X-Men-d.jpg

Man of Teal
reign039.jpg

Jubliee as Wondra
1678551-495998_wondra_paco_medina03.jpg

hated:

Jade's plant powers
latest

Chamber as a generic screamer

ChamberImage.jpg

Angel going back to regular feathers and AIDs curing blood.
368fd232-9de0-4d72-8524-d7c357c17fcc.jpg

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Hated:

Bone claw Wolverine
Mmzzc.jpg

Before this, Magneto COULD NOT manipulate Adamantium! Cap was able to toss his shield right into Magneto's face.

But along comes Fabian Nicieza and he retcons Adamantium so we got bone claw Wolverine.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not as much a power set change as much as not knowing the fucking character but I tried reading Bendis's run on Guardians and he had Drax choking and suffocating in space and just stopped and never tried again.

That really bothered me.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Hated:

Bone claw Wolverine
Mmzzc.jpg

Before this, Magneto COULD NOT manipulate Adamantium! Cap was able to toss his shield right into Magneto's face.

But along comes Fabian Nicieza and he retcons Adamantium so we got bone claw Wolverine.

?

Cap's shield, I thought, was made of some mix of Vibranium, not adamantium. And I'm pretty sure Magneto could manipulate Wolverine's skeleton. He basically wiped the floor with the all-new X-men when he first met them, and part of that was because Colossus and Wolverine were so vulnerable to him.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Hated:

Bone claw Wolverine
Mmzzc.jpg

Eh? Magneto could always manipulate adamantium. Are you sure you're not thinking of vibranium?

DkTEtf4.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I will say I like the more classic, Superman-like powers Shazam/Captain Marvel had better than his more magic based, lightning emitting powers. I understand why they did it, though.

Also I thought it was kind of lame as a kid when they changed Lightning Lass's powers to Light Lass (the Legion had this dumb rule at the time that members couldn't have the same power set, so because her brother Lightning Lad was on the team, she manipulated her DNA to change her lightning powers to the ability to make things float). Of course, we see in stuff like My Hero Academia that that kind of power has it's uses.

Donna Troy losing her powers and getting a DarkStar suit was kinda lame too.

Oh, and don't get me started on Speed Ball into Penance.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Eh? Magneto could always manipulate adamantium. Are you sure you're not thinking of vibranium?

DkTEtf4.jpg

John Byrne says otherwise.

According to John Byrne, Wolverine was especially surprised when Magneto took control of his claws "… since Adamantium is non-magnetic. But Magneto… is not just dealing with metal anymore – he can control anything which generates an electro-magnetic field, which includes the human body. That's how he was able to… manipulate Wolverine's claws."

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Best: Wanda going from probability alteration "hexes", to chaos magic, to straight up reality bending.

Worst: Wanda going back to chaos magic.

I want to watch Wanda in the MCU do what the reality stone was doing. (Although more permanently, as that seemed to be more of an illusion type of thing?)

And yes, Magneto's powers should always be over the whole electro-magnetic spectrum, not just magnetic metals.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Not as much a power set change as much as not knowing the fucking character but I tried reading Bendis's run on Guardians and he had Drax choking and suffocating in space and just stopped and never tried again.

That really bothered me.
Old school Drax was a beast, a cosmic event that hung with Heralds of Galactus. Now I feel like a lucky shot from a pea shooter could take him out

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Oh I forgot the time after Zero Hour where they melted down Dr. Fate's helmet and made it into a dagger.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Old school Drax was a beast, a cosmic event that hung with Heralds of Galactus. Now I feel like a lucky shot from a pea shooter could take him out
Yup. He was designed as a living weapon driven by Arthur's spirit and while Keith Giffens mini-series used that conceit to dispose of comic relief Drax and bring a leaner and meaner version into the modern era. That didn't last long. Still better than getting killed by heather than brought back later as mentally challenged.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Dagger and ankh shaped throwing stars

I don't remember (or rather I've blocked it from my memory) did those throwing stars magically come back to him or did he have to like dig them out of bodies to get them back?

I just realized based on the logo in the OP that Guy Gardner Warrior also came out of Zero Hour. What a trash crossover. We also got Batman as an urban legend, they further convoluted Hawkman's origin, it aged members of the JSA for no reason, it rebooted the Legion (actually I didn't mind the new Legion), and besides Fate it launched such well-respected series as Extreme Justice, Primal Force, Xenobrood and Manhunter.

The only decent thing that came out of it was Starman.

Also I just read on Wiki that Guy Gardner had shapeshifting powers because editorial mandated it so that they could mimic the popularity of... Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Either that's a mistake or editorial had no idea what MMPR was.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked when Ultimate Kitty Pryde learned to use her powers in reverse, becoming super dense/tough/strong. It made sense (well, comic book sense anyway) and gave her more tools to play with. Plus it helped her be the badass in combat that she was growing into as a leader.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ichigo's Bankai was orginally a super speed buff it would have been really interesting seeing that explored more. Certainly more so than what it became.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Both X-Men Related.

Best: Bobby Drake's god-like power boost that makes complete sense

Worst: Angel's "healing blood" because Chuck Austen,

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping he never masters the 100% strength like All Might and instead has to use the other quirks in interesting ways to win his fights. The potential is there, just got to hope Horikoshi doesn't turn Deku into yet another flawless shounen hero.
Nah, that's too much. Having more than one quirk is already way too OP, have 6 others, all of which are more powerful than normal, is way too much. I think what would have been better is if Deku had a totally shit quirk that he had to learn to use in creative ways.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Bone Claw Wolverine wasnt the issue, it was when he just started turning Feral Wolverine and started to loose his nose for no reason lol.

cfb249783dbf20bb-600x338.jpg

So dumb that he was like this one issue, then completely back to normal in the next, without ever a word about it again lol.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
First ones that spring to mind:

Best:
Pucci transitioning from Whitesnake to C-Moon to Made in Heaven.

Whitesnake is one of my favorite Stands in all JoJo, but I can appreciate the story significance of its evolution, even though the means of that transformation is batshit crazy even by JoJo standards. The aesthetics are definitely a leap yet I still give Araki credit for being so resolute as to create Made in Heaven and break the hearts of fans everywhere.

Hated: Anytime Warren leaves his Archangel state and goes back to natural feathers

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Too soon to tell but I hate it.

My Hero Academia Manga spoilers
4kcnlz.png
At least aesthetically it's dope lol, really does depend on how it's all handled though. This was my first thought entering the thread tbh. I like it because

it makes perfect sense when you really look at what All for One does. Add that to it happening due to quirks a whole becoming too strong, something foreshadowed in both the Overhaul arc and the arc with the toddlers, I think this was to be expected. Execution is still key. Deku being unable to control it is a good start.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that's too much. Having more than one quirk is already way too OP, have 6 others, all of which are more powerful than normal, is way too much. I think what would have been better is if Deku had a totally shit quirk that he had to learn to use in creative ways.
Isn't that Jojo? Seemingly useless powers and then REKT.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that Jojo? Seemingly useless powers and then REKT.
I feel like those are always the coolest powers in any series: the ones where you go "that shit is useless" but then it turns out that if you use it in a specific way it's really cool.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Worst:

Sasuke going from cool lightning ninja with copy powers to weird ass handwing demon with EVIL lightning powers.

Look at this abomination

e519f5505f06e04e8259699a752c39b4.png

Best: Same character getting a sword over the timeskip. And he eventually ditched the weird demon form too.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
For me it ain't too soon. That random ass upgrade sucks lol. I absolutely hate where he's going with that character.
This complaint is such a nonentity
They even show he has no idea how to use it or even how to get it to activate. And I guess a quirk that stockpiles power doing exactly that is random now? Really it will come to execution, it has potential to be total ass, but as it is now it really is too early

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They even show he has no idea how to use it or even how to get it to activate. And I guess a quirk that stockpiles power doing exactly that is random now? Really it will come to execution, it has potential to be total ass, but as it is now it really is too early
Fair enough I guess, but the randomness comes down to the timing of the occurrence for me, not just the existence of said power up. It also just felt too much like generic shonen "I have this new strange ability I can't control" when it was first executed. But at this pace who knows when we'll even encounter it again lol

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
best:

Problematic costume aside, Betsy going from boring shy telepath to badass ninja telepath with psyonic blade manisfestations

psylocke2.gif
88386b63864815a9234f15f66f64dbd3.jpg

worst

Psylocke gaining telekinesis... great, now shes like Jean, that's what we needed >_>

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is it's completely unneeded. Deku already had the best quirk in the series, now it's even better with no real reason for it. He just doesn't need the power-up at all. All Might's 100% was already super good and Deku's is above that (due to how the stockpiling works, each user of One for All is stronger than the last) so this is just complete overkill. Deku at 100% will already be the fastest, strongest hero to ever live. What does he need 6 more quirks for? In a world where everyone has one quirk, even having two is incredibly OP.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Electric superman was stupid as hell

Hated:

Bone claw Wolverine
Mmzzc.jpg

So just for the record, Magneto when he did this, his powers were RIDICULOUSLY jacked up to very high levels. He had some mutant helper that boosted him to this level. Before that, he could not really manipulate Adamantium to this degree. It was an out-lier but I do think the story mentioned it several times.

E -- He was powerful enough to put an entire giant metal island into orbit, for example. Stuff that was on a planetary scale.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The issue is it's completely unneeded. Deku already had the best quirk in the series, now it's even better with no real reason for it. He just doesn't need the power-up at all. All Might's 100% was already super good and Deku's is above that (due to how the stockpiling works, each user of One for All is stronger than the last) so this is just complete overkill. Deku at 100% will already be the fastest, strongest hero to ever live. What does he need 6 more quirks for? In a world where everyone has one quirk, even having two is incredibly OP.
You make the mistake in assuming the other's have quirks and that if they do they are not total garbage. Black Whip could be the best one because Hori loves him some spider-man. Again, it's too early.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1353933832_14672.jpg

Gokudera from Hitman Reborn uses this amazing Box system that utylizes his intelegence, skill, and made him an extremely formidble fighter when using this new power/fighting style in the manga.

Then for his last "power-up" they made him jump back into throwing sticks of dynamite.

Gokudera_Vongola_Gear.PNG

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
best:

Problematic costume aside, Betsy going from boring shy telepath to badass ninja telepath with psyonic blade manisfestations

psylocke2.gif
88386b63864815a9234f15f66f64dbd3.jpg

worst

Psylocke gaining telekinesis... great, now shes like Jean, that's what we needed >_>
Totally agree. Although I think the race changing was more problematic than the costume.

I wish they had just reverted her back to normal, but kept the badass Ninja abilities. They pretty much just took everything I loved about Betsy away when they reverted her back to her OG status.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
You make the mistake in assuming the other's have quirks and that if they do they are not total garbage. Black Whip could be the best one because Hori loves him some spider-man. Again, it's too early.
Even if the other quirks he gets are total garbage, they'd still be powered up through One for All and they would still give him a huge advantage in any encounter he might be in. More quirks equals more options in a given fight. More options means you have a huge advantage over the other guy. This is literally the rich get richer and there's no real narrative justification for it. We saw that All Might's (weaker) version of One for All was enough to beat All for One (who is the biggest bad in the history of this world), so what does Deku need a power-up for?

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naruto from underdog nobody loser who only has stamina on his side against much more competent opponents, geniuses who underestimate him due to his peasant ass lineage.

LOLJK HE'S ACTUALLY PART OF LIKE THE STRONGEST CLAN EVER! AND HE'S NATURALLY TALENTED AND MORE AMAZINGERR THAN EVERYONE ELSE! FUCK HARD WORK! LMAO! DID WE FORGET TO MENTION THAT? WOW CRAZY.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Naruto from underdog nobody loser who only has stamina on his side against much more competent opponents, geniuses who underestimate him due to his peasant ass lineage.

LOLJK HE'S ACTUALLY PART OF LIKE THE STRONGEST CLAN EVER! AND HE'S NATURALLY TALENTED AND MORE AMAZINGERR THAN EVERYONE ELSE! FUCK HARD WORK! LMAO! DID WE FORGET TO MENTION THAT? WOW CRAZY.
This really annoyed me about Yusuke in Yu Yu Hakusho. Making him the ancestor of a super-powerful demon made him a worse character. His transformation looked terrible too.