• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Morfeo

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Completed Kickle Cubicle today. Have probably owned this game for ten years, so it was time to check it out. Pretty short and easy, but the extra levels kicks my ass.

Anybody played this?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think my Return of the Joker cart might be dead. I need to try it on another system. But if so, this is sad.

Completed Kickle Cubicle today. Have probably owned this game for ten years, so it was time to check it out. Pretty short and easy, but the extra levels kicks my ass.

Anybody played this?
Nah, I should look into it?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

Anybody played this?

I own it but haven't played my cart yet. Puzzle games like that are great and I look super forward to playing it! I may put it on my list to play next. Right now I'm working through Silver Surfer. Which, btw, is an awesome game. The AVGN video on it really did it a disservice.

I should post an updated picture of my collection. It has grown. And become more expensive. :lol

I also have a few new games that arrived earlier this week and more coming later on. I was stoked to score a Whomp Em and River City Ransom finally. As I near 300 NES games, my list of wants is shrinking, and I'm OK with that.

Bible Buffet
Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle
Motor City Patrol
Princess Tomato

I also want Sunday Funday, but those prices are rough. Infinite Lives did a remake of it, so I'll probably just buy that.

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I disagree entirely that Silver Surfer is good.

It has a MONSTEROUSLY killer soundtrack, but the game is not good.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Because it's hard? What about the design is bad? It's actually a really fair game I'm finding.

Also the soundtrack is great. That I can agree with.
No, not because it's hard. Because it's unfair. Castlevania is a hard game that's fair. Silver Surfer is not designed well. That said, I haven't played it in years so I can't cite specific examples. I'll give it a go tonight and take notes.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
No, not because it's hard. Because it's unfair. Castlevania is a hard game that's fair. Silver Surfer is not designed well. That said, I haven't played it in years so I can't cite specific examples. I'll give it a go tonight and take notes.

I'd be curious for argument sake. I am able to clear 2 "zones" so far without dying once. I think it's a game of it's time where it was about memorization AND execution. But to each their own. It may just be a game that isn't "fun" for you.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be curious for argument sake. I am able to clear 2 "zones" so far without dying once. I think it's a game of it's time where it was about memorization AND execution. But to each their own. It may just be a game that isn't "fun" for you.
You know, It's also possible you might also just be good at a game that has bad design? I'm not seeing anything from you to back up how "fair" it is.

Honestly though? Nevermind. Your vaguely condescending tone irks me and I genuinely don't feel like playing and analyzing this game tonight just to have a pissing match that will inevitably come down to us disagreeing on what's "fun" and what's not because you don't have any real points to back up your side.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
You know, It's also possible you might also just be good at a game that has bad design? I'm not seeing anything from you to back up how "fair" it is.

Honestly though? Nevermind. Your vaguely condescending tone irks me and I genuinely don't feel like playing and analyzing this game tonight just to have a pissing match that will inevitably come down to us disagreeing on what's "fun" and what's not because you don't have any real points to back up your side.

Wooooooah where did the aggressive tone come from buddy? I was trying to have some fun banter about an NES game. If you took what I said as condescending, that's just the fact that tone doesn't translate into text on a message board.

I'm not out to create enemies. I'm just having fun discussing old games. I don't personally find the game unfair. I also find the game fun. So that's why I said what I did. If you choose to take it personally, that's on you.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Reducing my future arguments about a game you like to

is not a good way to engender discussion.

I just have a hard time understanding why people think the game is so terrible. Every review out there gives it a shit rating because "it's frustratingly hard and unfair". They complain about one hit deaths (which is a common theme across a TON of NES games), difficult enemy placement (another common theme, but people forget to mention that the static enemy placement), unfair hitbox (you see your character, you know your hitbox...Also a common theme). I see another complaint about what you can and can't touch, but I found that easy to distinguish because your bullets are also stopped by things you can't go through. So I didn't think anything of it. It's not that I'm saying you're wrong about the game being a bad game, I just think that you and I have different definitions of a "bad" game. And that's fine.

Shadow Hog

Oct 26, 2017
unfair hitbox (you see your character, you know your hitbox...Also a common theme)
This isn't a really good defense; the hitbox is significantly larger than most other shmups on the NES and oddly-shaped at that (since your board counts as part of it, adding a large horizontal hitbox at your feet), making typical dodging strategies from other shmups a lot harder to pull off.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just have a hard time understanding why people think the game is so terrible. Every review out there gives it a shit rating because "it's frustratingly hard and unfair". They complain about one hit deaths (which is a common theme across a TON of NES games), difficult enemy placement (another common theme, but people forget to mention that the static enemy placement), unfair hitbox (you see your character, you know your hitbox...Also a common theme). I see another complaint about what you can and can't touch, but I found that easy to distinguish because your bullets are also stopped by things you can't go through. So I didn't think anything of it. It's not that I'm saying you're wrong about the game being a bad game, I just think that you and I have different definitions of a "bad" game. And that's fine.
Thank you, this is an actual opinion with reasoning and details I can work with :)

I'll give it a shot in the coming days and let you know what I think.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
STILL not done. SO MANY GAMES. <3

I have another 40 or so not shown on my cleaning bench, as well as a CIB copy of Lizard that just came in. Second shelf is on the way! The two blank NES games are RAID 2020 and Wally Bear and the No! Gang. Can't find cover scans. Going to have to do what I did with King Neptune and make a jank ass one for the time being.

jKS59n2.jpg

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Pretty solid collection. Let us know what you think of Lizard. I just started playing it and I'm definitely enjoying exploring it. The OHKOs and frequent realization that "oh, that was an enemy" mean there's a lot of retracing your steps, but I'm digging it. It's got this great air of mystery that makes me want to keep going.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty solid collection. Let us know what you think of Lizard. I just started playing it and I'm definitely enjoying exploring it. The OHKOs and frequent realization that "oh, that was an enemy" mean there's a lot of retracing your steps, but I'm digging it. It's got this great air of mystery that makes me want to keep going.

Thanks. I've gotten to the point in my collecting that I'm looking for weird stuff like Motor City Patrol, Race America, and Widget. Outside of eBay, I think I'm going to have a tough time with my want list. At least I've got all the big guns (almost...the hunt is on for Dragon Fighter and Sword Master).

I need to bust out Lizard. I've been hooked on organizing and cleaning games lately (read: doing it because I need to). I should just sit down and play, ha.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Thanks. I've gotten to the point in my collecting that I'm looking for weird stuff like Motor City Patrol, Race America, and Widget. Outside of eBay, I think I'm going to have a tough time with my want list. At least I've got all the big guns (almost...the hunt is on for Dragon Fighter and Sword Master).

I need to bust out Lizard. I've been hooked on organizing and cleaning games lately (read: doing it because I need to). I should just sit down and play, ha.
I know what you mean. In the past I collected for a couple systems and sometimes I would get obsessive over everything about them except playing them. I totally get the collector mentality but everything I buy anymore I buy to play.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Giving Panic Restaraunt a try. It's a pretty solid platformer! It's so sad that most people will never own this game due solely to the price. I mean, there are a ton of great cheap platofrmers on the system, but it's worth at least emulating this one to enjoy it.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Giving Panic Restaraunt a try. It's a pretty solid platformer! It's so sad that most people will never own this game due solely to the price. I mean, there are a ton of great cheap platofrmers on the system, but it's worth at least emulating this one to enjoy it.
Very nice collection!

I've always wanted to those game cases with the cover art. Did you print it out yourself or buy them?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Very nice collection!

I've always wanted to those game cases with the cover art. Did you print it out yourself or buy them?

Thanks! And I print them myself. Cover Project has 95% of the games or so. You have to modify the UGC cases for NES, though. Fortunately we have an awesome printer at work, so I just buy the paper and go to town.

CassinhOFF

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
STILL not done. SO MANY GAMES. <3

I have another 40 or so not shown on my cleaning bench, as well as a CIB copy of Lizard that just came in. Second shelf is on the way! The two blank NES games are RAID 2020 and Wally Bear and the No! Gang. Can't find cover scans. Going to have to do what I did with King Neptune and make a jank ass one for the time being.

jKS59n2.jpg
This is amazing!

Nice collection

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
<3

I've been hunting for Star Wars to complete that pair. Widget was a really tough to find game for a fair price. Ghoul School and Gremlins 2 were also "duh, why don't I own these yet?" grabs.

qTtnrv0.jpg

Using this thread as my way of showing off pickups since the pickup thread is 99% new stuff all the time.

bearbytes

Jan 17, 2018
Nice, I love Vice: Project Doom. I still need to get myself a copy. That label looks like its in pretty good shape too, its one of those games that seems to have a messed up label a lot of the time.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Zombie Nation last night. That's an interesting game. I can't decide if it's a bad game or just a weird game. The bosses are something else, though.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Just a small collection update for those who still pop around here! Not shown are about 50-60 games. The shelf I want is out of stock. So I need to get a new one.

VrIeOyn.jpg

One of my more recent pickups that I'm CRAZY excited about...

OUjyvcy.jpg

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Here you go few followers and lovers of the NES! FINALLY got my second shelf! Still reorganizing. I'm not excited about re-alphabetizing the games just yet. I still have another, or, 40+ in a box that have not been cleaned and prepped. So it's hard to redo EVERYTHING when I'm just going to have to do it again soonish.

A41QCZt.jpg

bearbytes

Jan 17, 2018
So it's hard to redo EVERYTHING when I'm just going to have to do it again soonish.

I hear that. I'm going to be moving to a new place within a couple months so I'll have to break down my set up and pack everything up soon. I always hate moving my game stuff, I tend to pack everything up super cautiously. I'm sort of looking forward to it in someways though, I have a thing for going through/organizing my stuff.

Hopefully by the end of summer the place will be ready to start setting everything up again!

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
#442 and #443 arrived today (amongst others)! #444 should be heading my way eventually (Rockin' Kats), but these two were kind of a bear to track down.

bZBDbCn.jpg

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Here's my collection. I'm going through all of my games and taking pictures today. My NES is normally hooked up, by the way, I only disconnected it for the picture.

And yeah, I own two copies of Life Force and Rocketeer...both boxed and loose. The loose copies weren't working properly, so we got new boxed ones. I had Rocketeer since I was a kid and all of the graphics suddenly got glitched one day and wouldn't go away no matter how much it was cleaned. Life Force I got at a flea market and it just didn't work.

0pJVHUN.jpg

U92HUEj.jpg

8o4Tnc2.jpg

EJYdCzn.jpg

Last edited:

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Hey

I want to get a cable to use the new NES Classic controllers on a real NES. Raphnet doesn't seem to make that cable? Any ideas anyone?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Been a while since I've had a good pickup. American Dream was a JP-only release, Road Fighter was JP and EU. Glad to have some I can plan on my US console and TV!

WuUTk8B.jpg

My shelf is still a HUGE WIP, but it's getting more organized!

VbZRj4V.jpg

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017

OK, I learned something new today, lol. Why Nintendo didn't refer to their 8-bit hardware as "Famicom" in an official capacity.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Randomly decided to knock a really old item off of my backlog tonight.

Holds up pretty well for 1986. The most aggravating aspect is farming health after dying in certain parts of the mid-game, but it's not insufferable. Acquiring the screw attack makes traversing the map an order of magnitude easier. So OP.

Used a map during the playthrough, but everything else was legit and played on the actual cartridge. And it's funny how I've spent all this money installing RGB mods into my systems but still can't be bothered to figure out a good way to run the console on my TV in 4:3. One of my TV's firmware updates seems to have broken that option, and although my upscaler could correct the aspect ratio, it only does that in its laggier mode and I'd rather do without that. w/e.

OP
OP
Morfeo

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the restarting with only 30 life is the single biggest flaw of the game, the rest of it holds up fine, and its fun to do a playthrough (with map) once in a while!

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Been a while bump.

Picked up 12 commons I needed. Puts me at 459.

Beat Bonk's Adventure last night. Game is just OK. Felt very basic. I also started on Gremlins 2. Managed to get to 4-1, but damn that game is tough. The jumping segments are crazy hard due to how finicky the controls can be.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Going for a full set collection?

Not 100%, no. I'm not going to get an NWC (grey or gold), Stadium Events, or legit Panesian games. I have a repro of Bubble Bath Babes and, if I ever find the other 2, will grab repros of them. They're FAR too obscure and expensive to purchase legit (also they're terrible, haha).

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Played some Gradius tonight. What an impressive game for 1986.

It really was. And the music was perfect for it, too.

Finished another game last night. Gremlins 2. Another Sunsoft soundtrack that absolutely rocks. Game is tough. But it's funny...I was playing with one of my controllers and having a tough time because you need to utilize a fair number of diagonal jumps to clear some of the harder stuff late game. Decided to switch to one of the controllers that I cleaned and replaced the pads on and it was significantly easier. It COULD have been because I was already a master of those levels! But clean your controllers guys!

ZX69t6Q.jpg

Next game is probably going to be Adventures of Lolo since I've never finished any of those titles.

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
So, I've only recently started getting into NES. I've learned the Japanese version of Castlevania 3 has much superior sound to the US version. I've decided I'm gonna get that game.

Is this all I need to play the Japanese version on my American NES?

https://castlemaniagames.com/shop?olsPage=products/60-to-72-pin-adapter-for-famicom-to-nes-hyperkin&page=3
My understanding is that you'll need to tap the extra audio channel from the famicom side of the adapter and mix it with the NES audio. There are several ways of doing this. This is one:
http://callanbrown.com/index.php/castlevania-iii-with-full-famicom-audio

I am also looking into buying the famicom version of C3, so if anybody has a better way of mixing the channels, I'd like to hear it.

OP
OP
Morfeo

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
It really was. And the music was perfect for it, too.

Finished another game last night. Gremlins 2. Another Sunsoft soundtrack that absolutely rocks. Game is tough. But it's funny...I was playing with one of my controllers and having a tough time because you need to utilize a fair number of diagonal jumps to clear some of the harder stuff late game. Decided to switch to one of the controllers that I cleaned and replaced the pads on and it was significantly easier. It COULD have been because I was already a master of those levels! But clean your controllers guys!

ZX69t6Q.jpg

Next game is probably going to be Adventures of Lolo since I've never finished any of those titles.

The Lolo-games are awesome. Ive beat the first two of them, but not the Famicom/FDS-games and the third. How hard would you say Gremlins 2 is? Like Blaster Master (unbeatable), Batman (really, really hard), like Castlevania 3 (more or less impossible) or CV3 for Famicom (beatable), Ninja Gaiden (easy untill final level and boss), Rygar (hard, but beatable if you know what you are doing) etc.

And yeah guys, get the Famicom-version of Castlevania 3. Not only is the music better, the game is also much better balanced, and a character like Grant is actually usable.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The Lolo-games are awesome. Ive beat the first two of them, but not the Famicom/FDS-games and the third. How hard would you say Gremlins 2 is? Like Blaster Master (unbeatable), Batman (really, really hard), like Castlevania 3 (more or less impossible) or CV3 for Famicom (beatable), Ninja Gaiden (easy untill final level and boss), Rygar (hard, but beatable if you know what you are doing) etc.

And yeah guys, get the Famicom-version of Castlevania 3. Not only is the music better, the game is also much better balanced, and a character like Grant is actually usable.

I think the most relatable example I can think of would be a Gradius/Rygar. Hard the first time or two, but once it clicks, you're an expert. Upon rebooting it last night, I was able to get to 4-2 without dying.

Going to Japan in just under 2 months. Probably going to look into a few Famicom games and possibly buy my first Famicom. Anyone here collect and have some suggestions on games to keep an eye out for?

OP
OP
Morfeo

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I have to try Gremlins 2 then. I love when you can learn a game and then master it.

I have a huge batch of Famicom-games, there are almost too many to mention, and of course it depends on what you are looking for. Lots of expensive western games are cheaper of course, so that might be worth looking into. Games like Ducktales 2 should be pretty cheap to get on the Famicom. And then there are all the exclusives... I am a huge fan of Zelda 2 myself, so if i was to suggest only one game, that is both interesting and cheap, i would say check out Getsu Fumaden by Konami. Its like Zelda 2....somewhat.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Playing through Castlevania I and wow, maybe I'm bad, but I can't for the life of me get past the section before the Grim Reaper. If I'm lucky to lucky enough to make it to the boss, I have two bars of health and die instantly as those blades spawn right on top of me every time.