• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shadow Hog

Oct 26, 2017
That'd likely only happen if the game was PAL-optimised, and most NES games weren't.

Little Samson, apparently, was. So yes, there'd probably be problems relating to that. I couldn't say in what way, though; best bet is for somebody with access to an Everdrive to try dumps from both regions on an NTSC-U NES, and see what happens.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
That'd likely only happen if the game was PAL-optimised, and most NES games weren't.

Little Samson, apparently, was. So yes, there'd probably be problems relating to that. I couldn't say in what way, though; best bet is for somebody with access to an Everdrive to try dumps from both regions on an NTSC-U NES, and see what happens.

Fair idea.

My repro will be fine until the day comes (if ever) where I decide I want a real one.

Picked up a bunch of stuff today, including a game I'd never heard of called Journey To Silius. And holy shit. The music is fucking jam city. And the game? Tons of fun.

OP
OP
Morfeo

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
The music wold run to fast if the game if pal-optimised yeah, didnt think about that. Not sure how much of an issue that is though.

And yeah, the music in Journey to Sillius is amazing!

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Love me some Universal Game Cases.

BwQX7M6.jpg

Just wish they didn't have to be modified for NES games .

bearbytes

Jan 17, 2018
Yeah Journey to Silius is awesome, it was originally going to be a Terminator game!

I just beat Star Tropics for the first time yesterday... What a great game, one of my favorites. I had a tough time with some of those sections towards the end though!

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit...Those game cases....

I feel like I need them.

E: Any good sites or resources for trading and such? I got an extra copy of Double Dragon 2 and don't know the best way to go about trading things like that. Not many local swap meets in Indy that I've found.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Journey to Silius is awesome, it was originally going to be a Terminator game!

I just beat Star Tropics for the first time yesterday... What a great game, one of my favorites. I had a tough time with some of those sections towards the end though!

Try Startropics 2 next. That's very underrated. I like it more because of you being able to move while jumping and walk diagonally. Gameplay doesn't feel as primitive.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Another weird one I came across recently that I didn't know existed is Dragon Fighter by Natsume.

Dragon_Fighter_cover.jpg

Dragon%20Fighter%20(J).png
Dragon-Fighter_029.png

It's a sidescrolling action title where you play as a warrior who can also become a dragon for a limited time, and the levels then auto-scroll. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but I know that it only offers 3 continues so it might be tough to finish. Honestly it feels nice, so with enough practice I bet I can get through it. We'll see.

Also, the NTSC cart is insanely expensive, so I bought the JPN version which was much more affordable.

The music also stands out as super good. I'm gonna spend some time getting to know this one.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
How do you play JPN games on a US console? Converter? Or do you just have a JP console for them? What about TV refresh rates?

bearbytes

Jan 17, 2018
Try Startropics 2 next. That's very underrated. I like it more because of you being able to move while jumping and walk diagonally. Gameplay doesn't feel as primitive.

Yep, started it up right after finishing the first game. I've had copies of both for a while, but always wanted to finish Star Tropics before getting into Zoda's Revenge. I wasn't sure at first, I sort of missed the charm and tropical theme of the first game... but once I met Cleopatra and she demanded a pepperoni pizza, I was on board.

While I really like like main songs in Star Tropics, I'm glad Zoda's Revenge has more variety and some pretty catchy tunes too. The movement does feel a lot better, though coming straight from Star Tropics I kept trying to jump in one direction and turn and shoot in another but it doesn't work the same way now that you have air control on your jumps. Seems a bit easier so far too.

How do you play JPN games on a US console? Converter? Or do you just have a JP console for them? What about TV refresh rates?

Japan uses the same refresh rate as NA, so no problem using a famicom on a NA tv or using a pin converter to play famicom games on an NES.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I have both a pin converter and an AV Famicom, but I also have a Powerpak to play roms.

If you're into importing JPN games on the cheap, I would trythis pin converter which is pretty dang affordable. You would need a top loading NES or to take the lid off of your front loader to use it, though. Also, any games with expanded sound (Castlevania III JPN has the VRC6 expansions), you won't be able to hear that extra audio on a stock US system. You can perform a small mod to the front loader to enable it, though no such mod exists for a top loader. However, that game is fairly pricey, so I would assume that's not where you're starting ;)

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen those. 5 screw wonder finds!

Where can I import cheap JP games? That sounds like a winner if an idea.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno. I have the internal converter from a Gyromite cart, and yeah, it works, but I always wished it had a case and labels so I knew which side to put in easily and at a glance. To each their own, I guess, I just personally feel like the version I linked is worth the extra 4-6 bucks. Good luck hunting a cart out if you go that route!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Then yeah, def look into getting an AV Famicom.

I will say, the Retro AVS is something I would recommend as well if you can afford it. I have a couple of friends that have it and it's pretty cool and works well.

bearbytes

Jan 17, 2018
Just made it to chapter 7 in Zoda's Revenge. I'm liking the game so far but man, what is up with the "low on health" warning sound? It had to be the most irritating example of this I've seen in any game.

Velinos

Oct 27, 2017
I have been playing my old retro consoles more lately and have been slowly working through the Lolo trilogy. Fun games. Almost done with the first game and I refuse to look at a strategy guide for these games.

As I look at my NES library, I have most of the games that I specifically want. Those games are the ones I remember playing during my childhood. A few are missing mostly because I have not been able to find them for less than what I am willing to spend. I have had a rule that I would never spend more than retail price on a game. I have since amended that rule to never spend more than retail price adjusted for inflation for game only (I went a little over for a couple CIB games that I really wanted). One of those games for me is Panic Restaurant because I remember renting it several times as a kid and really liking it. Unfortunately I never picked it up over the years and the going rate is way over what I am willing to spend. I know I can always make a repro or get a flash cart, but part of me still wants the real thing. I guess it is just the collecting bug getting to me. Has anyone here ever just said screw it and shelled out the $$$ for pricey games to complete their collection?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I spent $70 or so on Mega Man 5? I'd be willing to spend up to about $300 on a game I really want right now. That number might go up later, but that's my limit for now.

bearbytes

Jan 17, 2018
I know I can always make a repro or get a flash cart, but part of me still wants the real thing. I guess it is just the collecting bug getting to me. Has anyone here ever just said screw it and shelled out the $$$ for pricey games to complete their collection?

Not really. The NES has a lot of good games from $10 - $30 or $40 and I'm still having fun adding that stuff to my collection, occasionally spending a little more on something I really like. As much as I would love to have a copy of Little Samson or whatever, I personally just can't justify shelling out that kind of money for an NES game. I highly recommend picking up a flash cart, I have an Everdrive and I love it. I use to play really expensive stuff, find new things to add to the collection, games from other regions, translations, hacks, you name it.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I'm ordering 200 game cases for my NES collection AND have enough games to almost fill them already, haha.

Played some Little Mermaid last night. That game is surprisingly excellent!

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
This thread must live! I've been playing so much NES lately...About to pass the 100 game mark (have a trade going for another huge lot, so happy I ordered 200 cases).

Working on beating Castlevania right now. Had to call it a night after the stage leading up to Death (then Death himself) gave me so much headache, haha. I'll beat that fucking game eventually...

Also, I'm fixing to buy Battle Kid and Battle Kid 2. There are some super impressive homebrew titles out there. It's got me super interested in learning how to program in ASM, ha.

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Castlevania is one of my absolute favorite games ever. You can totally do it.

OP
OP
Morfeo

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
That last hallway up to Death and Death himself is one of the most difficult parts of any game ever, so i can understand you giving up there!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's not that bad, you just have to be aggressive and have the Holy Water with the triple multiplier and both are cake!

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
That last hallway up to Death and Death himself is one of the most difficult parts of any game ever, so i can understand you giving up there!

That last hallway was really easy once I realized I could just toss the cross repeatedly and jump my way through it. But the cross is NOT a great weapon for Death. So...

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't collected for NES/Famicom for a while now, but I did grab Akumajo Densetsu last year. Music is a huge upgrade over the NES release. Haven't beat the game yet, but I did manage to complete the original Castlevania twice last year. One of my favorite games for the system.

This year I'm probably going to pick up the Famicom cartridge version of the first Zelda game. I should also rebuy a few games like Mega Man 3 and Super Mario bros. 3 since I got rid of all my old PAL games couple years ago. Currently playing on an RGB modded Av Famicom, so I'm sticking with US/Japan releases.

Gozert

Oct 28, 2017
Rotterdam, Netherlands
I have to agree with hangongetready: the holy water will make that section and Death itself pretty easy once you figure out how to use it effectively. Without holy water... yeah, that section will drive you crazy, even though it can be done. The holy water is just that overpowered.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Alright Castlevania done! I'm not sure I'd be able to take out Frankenstein's Monster or Death without the holy water, ha. I'll probably beat the game again soon and try and cut down my continues.

Next up is either Monster in my Pocket or Journey to Silius. I've made it to the last boss in the former, so I'm sure that one would be relatively quick and simple. The last level (the gauntlet) just takes SO long, so if you continue at the final boss, you have to do it all again. Journey to Silius seems manageable, but I'll have to learn the game since I've only made it up to the 3rd boss I think?

Oct 25, 2017

Found this at a used game store today. Never seen this exact type before, and my internet searching has turned up nothing. It's for the NES, but has no markings to identify the manufacturer. It's clearly third-party, but which one, I have no idea. The red buttons at the top are turbo versions of B and A. Anyone have an idea who made this?

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found this at a used game store today. Never seen this exact type before, and my internet searching has turned up nothing. It's for the NES, but has no markings to identify the manufacturer. It's clearly third-party, but which one, I have no idea. The red buttons at the top are turbo versions of B and A. Anyone have an idea who made this?
The cord attaching at the left side is typical of Famicom controllers. Controller for the famicom version of the NES model 2?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Knocked out Monster in my Pocket. Growing up, I remember this game being harder. I died once because I was careless on the oriental level (swarms of laser shooting...things). But that game is a ton of fun.

Silius is next.

Also, scored a CIB copy of The Krion Conquest. Really rad game that very few people have ever heard of or played.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
I have been playing my old retro consoles more lately and have been slowly working through the Lolo trilogy. Fun games. Almost done with the first game and I refuse to look at a strategy guide for these games.

Has anyone here ever just said screw it and shelled out the $$$ for pricey games to complete their collection?

Yea, won a bid for Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu. Got a mint condition cart for $52. Wasn't terribly expensive, but not my usual spending habits.

Before that, I bought a CIB copy of Vice Project Doom for $75.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Knocked out Monster in my Pocket. Growing up, I remember this game being harder. I died once because I was careless on the oriental level (swarms of laser shooting...things). But that game is a ton of fun.
A friend and I just played through Monsters In My Pocket this evening, really fun co-op title. Great Konami tunes. Really just an all round awesome time.

We also smashed our way through Gremlins 2. Great Sunsoft OST. Definitely frustrating. Was good to have a friend to hand the controller over to when one of us would get frustrated.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Still less than halfway done...

lOIOPKw.jpg

Also have a bunch of new games coming my way. Like, another 40 or so (including some oddities like Ghost Lion, Chiller, and King Neptune's Adventure).