• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As we get closer to the 30 year anniversary of the TurboGrafx launch in North America this year, I thought it would fun to take a look back at its library. It's known for its quality 2d shooters but I think it remains pretty overlooked for platformers and other similar scrolling action games.

Since many people are familiar with the NES, and the PCE/TG16 had many quality successors tp its line up, it's a good way of showing newcomers some games they might be interested in but missed out on.

Fans of NES Bubble Bobble games
45947-bubble-bobble-nes-screenshot-hehehe-those-were-baddies-now.gif

Might also like:
Parasol Stars: The Story of Bubble Bobble III
This isn't an arcade port but built from the ground up for PCE (and ported to NES and other formats). It takes the main characters from Rainbow Islands but brings the game design back closer to the original Bubble Bobble with its (mostly) non-scrolling stages.
110323-parasol-stars-the-story-of-bubble-bobble-iii-turbografx-16.png

Don Doko Don
This is another quality single-screen arcade platformer by Taito ported to Famicom and PC Engine. You play as dwarves with hammers.
95460-don-doko-don-turbografx-16-screenshot-turned-into-soot.png

Liquid Kids AKA Mizubaku Daibouken
Remember the water bubbles in Bubble Bobble that sent enemies floating away? This is a scrolling platformer designed around that idea.
190312-liquid-kids-turbografx-16-screenshot-hipopo-balancing-on-a.png

Fans of NES Castlevania games
310315-castlevania-nes-screenshot-dracula-teleports-around-the-room.png

Might also like:
Akumajou: Dracula X: Chi no Rondo (CD) AKA Rondo of Blood is well known as one of the best Castlevania games so I probably don't need to say much about it to series fans. If you haven't played it, it's like Castlevania 1 and 3 on NES but with superior detail, music, playable Maria, and bad ass cutscenes.
686431-castlevania-rondo-of-blood-turbografx-cd-screenshot-one-of.png

Valis series
The quality of Valis games varies a lot and some games give the series a bad rap. I think the PCE CD got the best of the franchise with the definitive versions of Valis III, IV, and its remake of I. Valis III and IV are multi-character action games with anime cutscenes. They bare some resemblance to the Castlevania series, especially when played with Chaz, the whip wielder, and in other details like the ferryman. Playing the games for the first time today might not have the same impact in terms of how high budget the presentation was for its time but they do hold up as action games with solid controls, notable characters, and varied level structure.
555772-valis-iii-turbografx-cd-screenshot-yuko-is-trying-to-survive.png

Fans of Solomon's Key
69671-solomon-s-key-nes-screenshot-the-grey-blocks-can-t-be-destroyed.png

Might also like:
Zipang
This is a bit of a strange one. Pack-in Video licensed Solomon's Key from Tecmo and the rights to the movie Zipang, and combined the two for some reason. Still, this Arc-developed conversion stands as one of the best editions of the puzzle/platformer and has its own art and music style.
zipang.gif

Fans of The Legend of Kage and Demon Sword
151249-the-legend-of-kage-nes-screenshot-kage-tosses-throwing-stars.png
384327-demon-sword-nes-screenshot-level-2-1-bounding-up-a-mountain.png

Might also like:
Ninja Spirit
Taito's Kage and Demon Sword are known for their ninja action with super high floating jumps through forests. Irem's and other environments. Ninja Spirit continued the Kage tradition. The TG16 version is closer to the 1988 arcade game in graphics and controls than any of the Western computer ports, and it also includes an optional "PC Engine mode" which ditched the one hit deaths of the arcade.
323876-ninja-spirit-turbografx-16-screenshot-the-first-boss.png

Fans of Shinobi (by Tengen) and Wrath of the Black Manta
184064-shinobi-nes-screenshot-your-first-boss-the-fire-breathing.png

Might also like:
Shinobi (by Asmik)
The PCE port of Sega's Shinobi is far superior to Tengen's NES rendition, and it was easily the closest to the arcade game in terms of detail, art style, and physics. I prefer the Master System version overall (it was heavily re-designed to be a more fit for home game design) but the PCE version is great despite some levels missing from the arcade game. Using the turbo switches is a lot of fun and makes this version worth playing even with emulated arcade ones around.
96615-shinobi-turbografx-16-screenshot-level-2-2.gif

The first NES Ninja Gaiden was also ported to PC Engine. It's worth checking out as a curiosity but I never liked the new art direction as much as the original or the weird way the backgrounds scroll.

Fans of Kung Fu
430313-kung-fu-master-nes-screenshot-1st-boss.png

Might also like:
Vigilante
Vigilante was Irem's follow up to single plane beat 'em up/platformer Kung Fu AKA Kung Fu Master and pays homage to it with some of the music. The Turbo port was closer in design to the arcade original compared to the more loosely converted Sega Master System port.
383958-vigilante-turbografx-16-screenshot-the-first-levels-boss.png

Ninja Action: Kaze Kiri (CD) bridges the gap between Kung Fu and Shinobi type action games. It's not a deep game but it has some stylish shuriken and sword slashing.
569738-kaze-kiri-turbografx-cd-screenshot-traversing-rooms.png

Also see: China Warrior and Ninja Warriors

Fans of Astyanax and Trojan
929468-astyanax-nes-screenshot-4-1-is-the-stage-where-you-can-hit.png

Might also like:
Legendary Axe series
Rastan helped popularize barbarian themed hack 'n slash platformers in the late '80s, and the first Legendary Axe game was one available for the North American TurboGrafx-16 launch in August 1989 and was critically acclaimed by gaming magazines. Lead designer Tokuhiro Takemori went on to direct the arcade game The Astyanax which the NES version was based on.
100033-the-legendary-axe-turbografx-16-screenshot-i-wish-i-had-a.png

The second Legendary Axe game wasn't as well received by critics but I thought it was of similar quality. It's not quite as methodical and ultra difficult as the original but I dig its creepy atmosphere. This one bears a greater resemblance to Rastan in its attacks and pacing.
100079-legendary-axe-ii-turbografx-16-screenshot-boss.png

If you want a sword slashing action game in a more light hearted, colourful anime style, check out Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman 3: Ikai no Princess (CD).
386643-kaizo-chojin-shubibinman-3-ikai-no-princess-turbografx-cd.png

Fans of The 3-D Battles of World Runner
54326-3-d-worldrunner-nes-screenshot-worldrunning-between-columns.png

Might also like:
Jinmu Denshou Yaksa
World Runner is essentially "Space Harrier but on the ground with jumping". Yaksa did the same concept but with medieval Japan as the setting and some added jumping on to floating platforms. It's quite choppy due to the lack of hardware scaling but if you can appreciate it by 1989 console standards, it's pretty neat.
580592-jinmu-densho-turbografx-16-screenshot-destroy-them.png

Fans of the Adventure Island games
478067-adventure-island-nes-screenshot-kids-don-t-play-with-fire.gif

Might also like:
New Adventure Island
This feels like a refined remake of the original Wonder Boy/Adventure Island as opposed to an evolution in the vein of the NES and SNES sequels. Given that Wonder Boy took a different, more adventure-y path with its sequels, New Adventure Island ended up being the best 16-bit era game in the old pure platformer style for me.
95506-new-adventure-island-turbografx-16-screenshot-it-s-raining.png

Aoi Blink
Wonder Boy developer Westone made this licensed game and it shares some artistic and gameplay similarities with that franchise.
539370-aoi-blink-turbografx-16-screenshot-first-stage.png

Fans of Bionic Commando
56169-bionic-commando-nes-screenshot-bionic-commando-s-main-ability.png

Might also like:
Fausseté Amour (CD)
While very different thematically and more linear in design than Bionic Commando, I figured this was still worth recommending as it was one of the few action games from back then with a grappling mechanic.
482851-faussete-amour-turbografx-cd-screenshot-what-you-fight-me.png

Fans of Whomp 'Em
255481-whomp-em-nes-screenshot-the-sacred-woods-boss.png

Might also like Son Son II
Son Son 1 did come out on the Famicom but not many people in the West played it. Later NES games like Whomp 'Em (with its long range weapons attacks) are closer in design to Son Son II anyway.
323959-son-son-ii-turbografx-16-screenshot-the-first-boss.png

Fans of Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (1990) and Kid Niki
124778-jackie-chan-s-action-kung-fu-nes-screenshot-watch-those-tipping.png

Might also like Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (1991)
Despite having the same name, TG16 Jackie Chan was not a direct a port. While the base gameplay is very similar to the first one, the level design and art style were overhauled. Some may prefer the shorter, less frustrating stages of the NES game but I think the greater detail, added colour, and voice effects make for a more memorable experience on TG16.
109272-jackie-chan-s-action-kung-fu-turbografx-16-screenshot-meditate.png

Fans of Super Mario Bros. games
851374-super-mario-bros-3-nes-screenshot-swimming-in-world-3.png

Might also like:
Bonk series
The first Bonk was ported to NES but that's probably more obscure to many people than the PCE/TG16 version.

There's nothing quite like Mario on TG16 (not counting pirated ports). Maybe after Nintendo sued over Great Giana Sisters, no one wanted to try cloning it or making anything too similar. However, Bonk is a platform series where you jump on enemies' heads and it was often marketed as the console's mascot franchise so they're close enough to appeal to the same crowd.

A lot of what made these games stand out was the personality of the characters. The enemies were never generic; they were detailed and expressive. And the sprites were considerably larger than the average 8-bit game, the bosses in particular.

I prefer the first game overall as the turbo spin allows you to zoom across vast distances. That may not have been the developers' intention as the original PC Engine model didn't have those switches built into the controller but I think it's a welcome side effect that makes it more enjoyable. The sequels have a slower spin and more vertically designed levels so you can't speed through as much but there's still fine games.
106137-bonk-s-revenge-turbografx-16-screenshot-bonk-is-partially.png

Also check out these sites:
http://www.pcengine.co.uk/
https://necretro.org/PC_Engine
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/
www.mobygames.com

Video Game Database - MobyGames

The oldest, largest and most comprehensive video game database covering 275,547 games and 1 million game industry professionals.

Anyway, your thoughts on PC Engine/TurboGrafx platform and action games?

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well, back when the TG16 was sold, a lot of us NES fans were children who couldn't afford to buy more consoles. I guess that by the time anyone graduated to another system, the Genesis was already out (and a great choice). By the time the TG CD was sold in the US, the SNES & Genesis had a pretty amazing lineup of games, and the TG CD didn't exactly have the best library outside Japan.

My guess is that for a lot of people, their first TG16/TGCD experience was with the Wii's Virtual Console.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Too expensive. I do have a decent WiiVC library of those games. Great system.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have

I owned a TG16. Only really played Bonk from your list though. Bonk was very good, I liked it a lot

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I played it a little bit at Toys R Us back in the day, but man it's expensive.

Even now it's just really hard to find a good way to play those games outside of buying the console from an importer or collector.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Wii U Virtual Console is a good way to play TG16 games for cheap. The games aren't filtered like many on the original Wii VC. It's missing a ton of stuff but there's still a good amount of quality games on there and they're emulated well.

My intention with this thread isn't necessarily to get people to play the games on real hardware. Emulators and official re-releases are well worth checking out, too.

"fans of The Legend of Kage" is a phrase I never expected to read
There are dozens of us!/dot gif

Last edited:

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
I had a TG16, it was pretty cool. We didnt have many of the games listed in your OP available unfortunately (in the US). Turbografx sections were really small I'm afraid. We got the bigger games like Bonk, Legendary Axe, Splatterhouse. Even still, I have fond memories of it before the great Genesis/SNES war took over.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
cost of entry. The systems are pricey, the games are pricey, and to set it up to where they look good (ossc, p/bvm, etc) is also pricey.

I will one day though as I am a collector.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My family could only afford one console back then. The TurboGrafx was very expensive, so I stuck with my NES, and later SNES.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to pick up a white PC Engine and a dozen games in 1996 as a swap for a copy of Tomb Raider on the PS1.

That was a good deal looking back on it. Mostly played shmups on it. Dragon Saber/Spirit, Gradius, Salamander and R-Type and suchlike.

I still play it to this day! Although I have a Coregrafx and Super CD-ROM2 unit these days.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love the games on it after having played them after the fact, the system was just never really available when I was younger and so few units were sold worldwide that I've seen exactly one TG16 system in the wild over the years and tragically few physical games.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much the reasons other folks have stated - cost, availability, and exposure. I've still never actually played anything on TG16 or PCE. My buddy collects for them both, but only very casually due to the cost.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason why you didn't mention games like Strip Fighter II and Body Conquest, OP?

The game that most interests me on PC Engine is Photograph Boy, since it doesn't really seem to be like anything. It's kind of a nonviolent 2D rail shooter. You automatically walk through a level and try to take pictures of weird stuff while dodging enemies; you control both the player character and the camera cursor simultanously. It's also like 50% off-colour humour, which is, uh.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dont think the system was available in scandinavia

Heard about it years later and then snes was king

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
NES was the easier choice at the time. PC-Engine was badly distributed in Europe at the time; I don't recall its price, but the system sure had much less mindshare, especially on the school yard.

But not having bought a Duo back then si the choice I really regret.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
great effort on the OP.

As someone who owned a TG16 and a Turbo Duo as a young teen. I played a lot of these games.

A lot of fun, but a lot of games were subpar comparatively speaking.

I have often thought of getting a modded duo so I could play a lot of these games and more again and honestly I don't think it is worth the cost/effort needed.

I bought my TG 16 and Duo at Babbages and bought way too many games for them. I loved the hucard format and the super cds.

I loved games like Vasteel, Cadash, Cosmic Fantasy 2 and the Exile games. Real shame that a lot of gems are lost to time in a sense

Oct 27, 2017
I never even knew they existed until well after they were out of stores, and now they're not exactly the cheapest console to collect.

I'd love to have one, but they're not really a high priority item for me at the moment. Jaguar and 3DO would come first, though mostly for their Doom ports.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
getting into PC Engine stuff has always been on my bucket list but tbh not much of it i'm dying to play

i did get hardcore into Lords of Thunder on Wii VC. jesus christ that is an incredible game

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
The first time I saw a TG-16 in real life was maybe 5 years ago. I wouldn't have even realized what it was if it hadn't been displaying a Bonk level.

I remember not even making the connection between "TurboGrafx" and "PC-Engine" for a number of years. I just thought the PCE was a JP-only console, haha.

Bonk is cute though, and eventually I'll get into those Wii VC titles I picked up at the last minute.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
But I did. My mom got me a TurboDuo. Loved it but I liked my SNES more. I was huge into RPGs back then and SNES simply had more of them.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
PC Engine is one of my favorite platforms. The thread a while back (can't remember if it was here or at GAF) where people didn't know who Bonk was absolutely killed me inside. I recently did some work on both my Core Grafx and Duo-R. Got them recapped, jailbar fixed, Duo-R got RGB modded, and I've been replaying a lot of my favorite games. There's so many excellent games, and some of my favorite RPGs ever on PCE CD.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know it existed because I don't think anybody imported it in my country.

Definetly an interesting system that I am hopefully going to dive into in the future.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because here in my country it was extremely rare to ever spot one. I never saw one or never heard of anyone who ever had it, it was a extremely niche product here. In the other hand, Sega Master System was very popular and arguably able to compete head on against the NES.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I've also go to put PC Engine (and the Saturn, while we're at it) in the camp of systems I wasn't really aware existed during their heyday. I'm not a huge fan of the NES either despite having one available as a kid, so I tend to be uninterested in a lot of PC Engine games, but the soundtracks on CD games are something I crave.

I'm pretty sure I'd be a huge PC Engine fanboy if I had this stuff as a kid. What else compares?

neonglow

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to check out these recommendations. I wish somebody would make a TurboGrafx retro console. Does NEC still have the rights to everything?

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have never seen a TurboGraphx-16 in person, I have played alot of the games on virtual console but it was all Sega and Nintendo as a kid.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I've also go to put PC Engine (and the Saturn, while we're at it) in the camp of systems I wasn't really aware existed during their heyday. I'm not a huge fan of the NES either despite having one available as a kid, so I tend to be uninterested in a lot of PC Engine games, but the soundtracks on CD games are something I crave.

I'm pretty sure I'd be a huge PC Engine fanboy if I had this stuff as a kid. What else compares?

PC Engine CD games have insane OSTs. They're seriously like 10 years ahead of their time.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Are those first three games listed (for fans of Bubble Bobbie) available on anything else ie Wii U VC? Because that shit speaks to me.

As for me I probably never heard of the console until the Wii. I've never seen one in real life either. It sounds cool but I unfortunately lack the income to be a hobbyist on this level.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PCE versions of Parasol Stars and Lquid Kids were on the Japanese original Wii VC but I don't know if it's possible to still get them. Taito Legends 2 (PS2, Xbox, PC) has the arcade versions of Liquid Kids and Don Doko Don.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Loved discovering PC Engine games around 6 years ago, Blazing Lazers is one of my very favorite games

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Had a TG-16 as a kid. Still wish I had it and the stack of games for it. Really loved that system, though I never got a lot of the games I wanted for it.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Had one since ~2000. Run an RGB modded Duo RX.

But the main reason for most people is it would be almost impossibly expensive for most people to play on real hardware at this point unless they steal the games. Wii U VC is pretty much the only decent option.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The TG-16 "golden age" in the US was when the original PlayStation had first launched.

So many people were dumping so many games/consoles at fire sale prices during the PS1 generation. It was crazy.

Probably my favorite all around console. I do need to get my Turbo Express recapped tho.

Aeana did you do the recap work yourself, or if you used a vendor, would you recommend them?

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never played the PC Engine back in the day so I have really fond memories of discovering an entire console's library on the Wii VC. Felt like a window into a different universe. It's a shame what VC looks like today compared to 10 years ago.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
1.) I haven't heard of the TG-16 until I was way into my Genesis and SNES.
2.) I would've not bother asking for it as a present as we rented games more than actually purchasing them at the time. NES, SNES, and Genesis games were available for rental, but not TG-16. I thought it was a dead system at the time.
3.) The only place to currently play these games is on Wii U's VC? That's unfortunate as I don't own a Wii U.

I only played the NES version of Bonk and Rainbow Islands. I remember them being alright.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
i loved that you made a thread for us dinosaurs who remember those games. you deserve a cookie

lately i've been playing a whole lot of the PC Engine OutRun. it's an incredible port and nails the OutRun experience far better than any of the other ports, the Genesis sequels, and the imitations on other systems. also the synth music is divine

no recommendation for PC Engine Ninja Gaiden? it's quite good

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The TG-16 "golden age" in the US was when the original PlayStation had first launched.

So many people were dumping so many games/consoles at fire sale prices during the PS1 generation. It was crazy.
Yeah, and even before that Radio Shack had TG16s being sold new for $50 (in Canada anyway, maybe US ones did the same) around 1992-1993.

I regretted selling mine in 1994 to pay for tuition (instead of selling more common Genesis/SNES games) but by the early 2000s, I managed to re-acquire most stuff dirt cheap before the major price increases.

no recommendation for PC Engine Ninja Gaiden? it's quite good
I mentioned it briefly but didn't show pictures. I definitely prefer the original but the PCE one's worth playing.

Last edited:

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I had most of those tg 16 games and no they weren't nearly on the same level as the best nes platformers.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I drop a few names before going to sleep:
- momotari katsugeki have as protagonist the peach boy from the japanese tale and is one of the best poatformer on pce.
- Bakushou Yoshimoto Shinkigeki is a cinematic platformer where instead of cool story, it goes for japanese comedy.
the actual platforming is quite standard and unremarkable but the wackiness of the situations you go through is amusing and set it apart any other platform game.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I love PC-Engine/Turbo. But you need to understand the Tirbo in the west had next to zero 3rd party support and it was hard to find. Not many people ever saw one in retail.

And anybody interested in it now finds out that it's way too expensive to get into now.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Never really cared for the system back in the day. For some reason the visual styles of a lot of the games didn't appeal to me and it always felt kind of knock-off to me. Just not interesting enough library for me to really care. Many of their character takes didn't appeal to me either. Maybe it was not a well-informed view at the time, but I didn't feel like I missed anything I couldn't have gotten in more appealing form on the Genesis.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean I just never had a Turbographix growing up. I went straight from NES to SNES/Genesis, which were more than enough for my needs